Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Go down 
+24
the sentinel
UltraMagnus007
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
mez
James B.
Metal Misfit
XYZ
tohostudios
Troublezone
HellRaiser
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
mr.electric39
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
mc666
Tall Tyrion
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 pm

...may finally come to an end soon. And thus I rant.

As you all know, Hysteria was basically my gateway album into music obsession. It is the album for me, still. I liked Adrenalize, loved Slang and Retroactive, the b-sides album, and Euphoria was, in a lot of aspects, a nice return to their earlier, more rockin' sound.

Then came X. The first song on the album, "Now," was promising. It borrowed a bit from "Photograph," and while definitely radio-friendly, it was a rock song. And good. The album, however, was pretty bad. Sure, the songs are good and catchy, but they don't feel right. That is sadly because on this album they brought in outside songwriters to pen songs for them. I'm not talking about a Mutt Lange or Desmond Child, those that understand the band and rock music; no, they brought in the teams that write music for the likes of NSync and Britney Spears and Pink. The last song on the album, "Scar," is also a solid rock tune, but good bread doesn't make a turd sandwich taste good.

Then came their covers album, Yeah! I was actually impressed with it. The songs were good and unique for a covers album; these were clearly songs the band had a passion about, and it showed (unlike Queensryche's recent covers album). And the songs had a more gritty, raw, and rockin' feel. That gave me hope for their upcoming album. Then they announced that they may call it Songs From The Sparkle Lounge. Shocked

Apparently that was what they dubbed their little jam room they'd set up while on tour. That's fine. But do you have to call the album that? I'd be a bit apprehensive of stepping into a joint called the Sparkle Lounge, unless it said LIVE NUDE WOMEN! in the window. It's a name fitting for a George Michael album or something, not a rock band, not even a pop rock band! But I had hope that that was simple a working title. Guess not.

Quote :
DEF LEPPARD has set a March 18 tentative U.S. release date (one day earlier internationally) for its new album, entitled "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge". It will be the band's first LP since last year's "Yeah!", which was a collection of covers of songs by artists who had influenced the band. Their most recent studio album of original material was 2002's "X".

The first single off the album is a song called "Nine Lives", which features a guest appearance by country star Tim McGraw.
Sad

And so it ends. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but a song done with Tim McGraw says to me that they've once again teamed up with outside songwriters. I don't see the connection between the two artists otherwise. Bon Jovi just broke into the country pop market, so here comes the label with a great idea. Pffft! Now I'm back to where I stood with X. Weak.

I know a lot of you gave up on this band ages ago, but I actually liked the music they wrote on their own. They're simply not the same when playing songs they didn't write, or when they're trying so hard to stay relevant in today's mainstream. It's not gonna happen. These guys haven't had a string of radio hits since Adrenalize, and the last one was "Two Steps Behind" from Retroactive, and that was an unintentional hit. But basically this band hasn't had a hit since 1993! So I have no idea what this band is thinking. They have enough money; they don't have to be something they're not. It's just silly.

I realize they're like 50 now, and artists write differently when they get old, but I'm smelling that stink of no integrity with this band now.

Armajustnotgeddon it at all. Laughing

Last edited by Eyesore on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Dear Lord. I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds like its going to be worse than an Ozzy album. My condolences. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Just look at Phil Collen's gyrating butt and you will fall under the spell again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Just look at Phil Collen's gyrating butt and you will fall under the spell again.

Damn, you're right TT. I suddenly feel so...ummm.... :defleppard:
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 12:28 am

it's sad when you have to give up on one of your faves. it happened with me & Manowar.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:26 am

YIKES!! Just wait til the inevitable follow-up...

Live From The Sparkle Lounge (2009/2010)
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 am

mc666 wrote:
it's sad when you have to give up on one of your faves. it happened with me & Manowar.

Look deeeeeeeeeeeep into the loincloth. lol!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:29 am

I thought the title was good in that it may indicate a return to their 70's glam rock roots. I guess time will tell, i'm interested to hear it.
But if they come out with a record that's trying to hard to be on radio then they have dropped the ball again. I think at this stage of their careers they should be making their best rock n' roll albums. Don't worry about commercial viability they've made enough money, come out with some respect. Maybe Joe's recent enthusiasm in the press for younger bands like The Answer (The best r'n'r band at the moment) will rub off on his music. I guess time will tell.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 11:53 am

It certainly sounds like a bitter pill to swallow, but who knows Eyesore, you may like it. You seem to have a pretty open mind to the music you listen to. I wouldn't touch that cd with a ten foot pole, but that's just me. Aside from the covers album (which I like allot), I haven't purchased a new Def Leppard album since Hysteria.

You make some valid points about "older" groups using young, hipper, hit song writers. I thought the same thing about the latest Scorpions album. No matter who they use to write songs or produce albums, they ain't gonna have a hit record or sell millions. They had their moment in the sun. They need to realize this and just write the music that their true fans want to hear and forget about being relevant again or gaining a new audience.

Just for arguments sake, lets say Def Leppard gains 1000 new fans from this new release. Is that worth loosing a few thousand older fans for putting out poppy/country garbage?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:40 pm

rattpoison wrote:
I thought the title was good in that it may indicate a return to their 70's glam rock roots. I guess time will tell, i'm interested to hear it.
Glam roots? I never heard any glam roots from this band. I guess adding Phil Collen sort of gave them a glam connection since he was in Girl, but Def Leppard never put on make-up or pink-striped spandex and whatnot.

Def Leppard - Warchild (Demo)

That was Def Leppard in the 70s. I hear Sabbath in that song, not glam. The title of this new album might mean something to the band, and I guess that's all that matters, but it's a pretty dumb name. Regardless, it's not like they've ever had a good album name outside of On Through The Night. And that's not even necessarily good; it's just more interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It certainly sounds like a bitter pill to swallow, but who knows Eyesore, you may like it. You seem to have a pretty open mind to the music you listen to. I wouldn't touch that cd with a ten foot pole, but that's just me. Aside from the covers album (which I like allot), I haven't purchased a new Def Leppard album since Hysteria.

You make some valid points about "older" groups using young, hipper, hit song writers. I thought the same thing about the latest Scorpions album. No matter who they use to write songs or produce albums, they ain't gonna have a hit record or sell millions. They had their moment in the sun. They need to realize this and just write the music that their true fans want to hear and forget about being relevant again or gaining a new audience.

Just for arguments sake, lets say Def Leppard gains 1000 new fans from this new release. Is that worth loosing a few thousand older fans for putting out poppy/country garbage?
Well, I'll buy it, of course. I just hope it's more of a rock album, something a bit heavier than X. If "Nine Lives" is the radio single, fine. I can live with that if the rest of the album is good. And who knows, maybe Tim McGraw will be rockin' out instead of Def Leppard going country! Doubtful, but possible, I guess.

The worst thing is that over the years Def Leppard have put b-sides on their singles that have been heavier and more like their early stuff. But they never put them on the albums. I mean, the original version of "Truth?" from Slang was really heavy, probably their heaviest song to date. But the version that ended up on the album was nothing like the original. Not sure why it was changed because the original was great. This band is just content to give record companies what they want. They're successful, they've got money, and they've got tons of 40-year-old fat chicks that still eat up whatever they put out. Pffft.

I mean, even Phil Collen is writing heavier music with his Man-Raze project. Yeah, stupid name. But he's writing some heavy riffs. Where's that when it comes to Def Leppard?

Am I bitter? lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Quote :
...a song done with Tim McGraw...

Shocked

Wow!

A girl at work was listening to this new country song she loved. I
recognized the voice in the song and sure enough, it was who I thought
it was, Bret Micheals. GAK! WTH?

My wife loves country. I'm actually sitting here now listening to some
gawd-awful country/pop puke that sounds like it was straight off
American Idol. Why are all these former 80's rockers going this route?
I assume it's for the money, since America seems to be lappin up this
corporate crap like it was free beer.

Anyhow, not sure what this rant has to do with Def Leppard, other than
that Tim McGraw quote set me off. Doing a song with Tim McGraw doesn't
have to be bad, but it sure sounds scary. affraid

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Why are all these former 80's rockers going this route?
Surprisingly, it's not uncommon. Only since Bon Jovi did it has it become a mainstream fact. But a lot of old 80s rockers turned toward the country thing long ago. Tons of them have country-esque side projects, whether largely acoustic or bluesy, there's country there. I never understood it either.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Ronnie Keel anyone?

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:46 pm

IRON HORSE (KEEL's country band) are actually pretty decent...for what it is.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Shiney wrote:
IRON HORSE (KEEL's country band) are actually pretty decent...for what it is.
I think Derek Davis from Babylon A.D. has done some cool country blues projects (Moonshine, American Blues Box). Doesn't the singer from Dangerous Toys have a country rock project, Broken Teeth or something like that? I know Tom Keifer and Mark Slaughter have been said to be working on country albums for like a decade now.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm

BROKEN TEETH are AC/DCish sleaze...not country at all....

But McMaster definitely has the pipes for some killer country rawk were he to pursue...

Buck up, Little camper...there is a chance (albeit fleeting) that the new DEF LEP will rock...Im with Rattposion and I assumed the title was a nod to their glam influences...

Here's hoping....

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Shiney wrote:

But McMaster definitely has the pipes for some killer country rawk were he to pursue...
Hmmm...I thought one of the Dangerous Toys guys did country now. AC/DCish sleaze, huh? Might have to check that one, then! =)

Quote :
Buck up, Little camper...there is a chance (albeit fleeting) that the new DEF LEP will rock...Im with Rattposion and I assumed the title was a nod to their glam influences...

Here's hoping....
Yeah, my opinion isn't set in stone. No expectations, that's all.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Country/Rock seems to be the new pop. Heck at least they play their insturments... As I read through this thread I wondered if Bon Jovi would get mentioned. It seems then that Def Leppard are taking a page from Ben Jarvis' career guide...

I haven't picked up a Leppard disc since Hysteria.

Eye feel for ya bro. If either Rush or AC/DC did it I'd have a heart attack myself...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shiney wrote:

Hmmm...I thought one of the Dangerous Toys guys did country now. AC/DCish sleaze, huh? Might have to check that one, then! =)

Quote :
Buck
up, Little camper...there is a chance (albeit fleeting) that the new
DEF LEP will rock...Im with Rattposion and I assumed the title was a
nod to their glam influences...

Here's hoping....
Yeah, my opinion isn't set in stone. No expectations, that's all.

Broken Teeth are awesome! Not even slightly country. Sleazy, biker, bar
metal with a big old nod to Bon Scott era AC/DC. I have all three of
their CDs and love 'em.

Also check out American Dog, for a big 'ol cup of sleazy, biker metal with a nod to Motorhead and AC/DC.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Surprisingly, it's not uncommon. Only since Bon Jovi did it has it become a mainstream fact. But a lot of old 80s rockers turned toward the country thing long ago. Tons of them have country-esque side projects, whether largely acoustic or bluesy, there's country there. I never understood it either.
Lee Ving of FEAR will be putting out an album of country music soon, but it's got an edge to it which comes from years of hard living, the way it was done and made by guys like Hank Williams, George Jones, David Allen Coe, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - the way it's supposed to be - not some pre-packaged formulaic hogwash used by corporate music whores to try and milk yet another demographic for all they can get.

Here are some clips from Lee's forthcoming RANGE WAR - "Hard Country" release:

http://www.lee-ving.com/audio/lee-ving-temple-bar-cold-beer.mp3

http://www.lee-ving.com/audio/12ouncebottle.mp3

http://www.lee-ving.com/audio/lee-ving-temple-barartenders-blues.mp3

http://www.lee-ving.com/audio/lee-ving-temple-bar-the-ride.mp3

http://www.lee-ving.com/audio/lee-ving-temple-heartstrings.mp3

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Headshotpagesmall
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Glam roots? I never heard any glam roots from this band. I guess adding Phil Collen sort of gave them a glam connection since he was in Girl, but Def Leppard never put on make-up or pink-striped spandex and whatnot.

When i refer to glam rock roots i mean T. Rex, Roxy Music, David Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Slade and Sweet. Those bands don't have a lot in common musically but their were all part of the early 70's british glam rock movement. It's an easy mistake when hearing the word 'glam' to think 80's, particuarly Americans who were exposed to the horrors of Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt etc. Anyway those bands were huge influences on Def Leppard's sound. As were many other things, such as punk (eg: Sex Pistols), heavy metal (eg: Thin Lizzy), pop (eg: The Fixx) etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:23 am

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
When i refer to glam rock roots i mean T. Rex, Roxy Music, David Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Slade and Sweet. Those bands don't have a lot in common musically but their were all part of the early 70's british glam rock movement. It's an easy mistake when hearing the word 'glam' to think 80's, particuarly Americans who were exposed to the horrors of Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt etc. Anyway those bands were huge influences on Def Leppard's sound. As were many other things, such as punk (eg: Sex Pistols), heavy metal (eg: Thin Lizzy), pop (eg: The Fixx) etc.
Right on, I gotcha.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:15 am

Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Like Rebel Meets Rebel perhaps? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Like Rebel Meets Rebel perhaps? Laughing
No. That's still metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next