Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post a song, I will comment on it

Go down 
+13
Thrasher73
GrandNational
SideShowDisaSter
metalken
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
James B.
Witchfinder
scottmitchell74
Gilbert
Lari
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 3:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Here's another from me for whenever:

If you put Sonata Arctica's vocalist with Kamelot, this is what you'd get.

Serenity? Okay, I've definitely heard of these guys. Or maybe I'm thinking of the Timo Kotipelto solo CD?

Layered vocals kick off the song. A bit of cheese right off the bat. Then a guitar riff enhanced by keyboards. Production is quite bottom heavy (for this kind of music). It feels like some parts even kind of break, at least on my headphones, it's amped up so loud. Not much headroom. Could be Youtube as well. Singer has a pleasant, powerful voice, but I don't like his enunciation.

The band sets a nice groove. Mid-tempo, deliberate. And they won't let go. It's easy to like this. There's a melodic solo, very well done all around. I like this kind of melodic metal, but maybe they could have had at least one part where they really start rocking? Or maybe they just left it for another song on the album?

Good song, good stuff. I don't have too much to say about them. They sound typically German.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 4:04 pm

I'll do one more, and I'm almost caught up. Please post more songs for the weekend.

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Not sure if these guys have been brought up before, but to the best of my knowledge thay aren't a very well known band. Only two albums under their belt, but they are some good ones. This is the title track from their debut album.

Deathwish, okay. Never heard of them.

Cool sound. Heavy riffing. Dirty heavy metal. 80's. American? Like Omen, or something.

Singer uses almost like a gravely speaking voice half the time, instead of typical power vocals. No frills metal here. I approve, of course.

The song finishes very fast. But it's not like it's particularly short. Four and a half minutes blew by. A cool listen. Basic playing, heavy handed riffs, could be NWOBHM. It has that attitude.

Makes me want to play it again, but I have stuff to do. Good pick, Wrecked Neck. I like it.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 8:27 pm

Slammer - Hunt You Down (from their album The Work of Idle Hands...)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 11:21 pm

Lari wrote:
I'll do one more, and I'm almost caught up. Please post more songs for the weekend.

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Not sure if these guys have been brought up before, but to the best of my knowledge thay aren't a very well known band. Only two albums under their belt, but they are some good ones. This is the title track from their debut album.

Deathwish, okay. Never heard of them.

Cool sound. Heavy riffing. Dirty heavy metal. 80's. American? Like Omen, or something.

Singer uses almost like a gravely speaking voice half the time, instead of typical power vocals. No frills metal here. I approve, of course.

The song finishes very fast. But it's not like it's particularly short. Four and a half minutes blew by. A cool listen. Basic playing, heavy handed riffs, could be NWOBHM. It has that attitude.

Makes me want to play it again, but I have stuff to do. Good pick, Wrecked Neck. I like it.
Yes from England, and part of the NWOBHM invasion. If you liked this song, you should check out the rest of their stuff, it's all really good. Think they recently reissued both albums, so if you like them they shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

So up next is a band called Exorcist, from their one and only album Nightmare Theater. Probably heard these guys though, pretty sure it's not too obscure of a band. I used to love this album, but some of it is pretty corny now to me. Sill like it though, has some really good songs on it.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 12:59 am

As promised something with a bit more of an edge. This is some very unique and eclectic thrash. This was the band that gave Les Claypool his start before going on to form Primus with Larry LaLonde (also with this band and was one of the founders of thrash/death pioneers The Possessed). One would think that later reuniting without Claypool and LaLonde that the weirdness left with them. One would be wrong as you can see from this video. The guitarist/vocalist might even out weird Claypool:

Blind Illusion-Straight As The Crowbar Flies:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:16 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Here's a band from Greece:

Alright, here we go. Sacred Blood. Never heard. But it's power metal. That video is so corny. And so are the lyrics. The song is about ancient Greece. Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 395375

It's pretty by-the-numbers power metal. But I like the guitars, and the chorus has a hook. It's decent, but cringy.

Overall, I don't know about this one. It sounds like a party song. Pretty basic. Not your best pick, Gil. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:23 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Slammer - Hunt You Down (from their album The Work of Idle Hands...)

Slammer. That cover is hideous. Music is 80's thrash metal. Bay Area? The singer sounds like a young Hetfield, plus there are gang shouts. It works pretty well.

I like it. Guitar sound isn't giving me any eargasms, but it's technical playing and all. Well executed, good song. Memorable tune. Kind of too much like Metallica, in my opinion, to stand out really.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:31 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:

So up next is a band called Exorcist, from their one and only album Nightmare Theater. Probably heard these guys though, pretty sure it's not too obscure of a band. I used to love this album, but some of it is pretty corny now to me. Sill like it though, has some really good songs on it.

At least I haven't listened to Exorcist (that I know of), so this is a first for me.

Some eerie keys and horror (hilarious) narration to start the song.

Song starts and it's thrash metal. Faster than the previous track. Vocalist really can't sing for shit, but he does this *eeeeargh* and gravely talk-singing. I'm not a fan.

That frantic rhythm is really nice, song has potential. Sounds quite low-fi, low budget, low-everything... a DYI take on old style thrash metal.

Maybe not the greatest song in the thread, but it was quite fun/funny. But really doesn't make me want to look up more Exorcist. Thanks anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 7:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
As promised something with a bit more of an edge. This is some very unique and eclectic thrash. This was the band that gave Les Claypool his start before going on to form Primus with  Larry LaLonde (also with this band and was one of the founders of thrash/death pioneers The Possessed). One would think that later reuniting without Claypool and LaLonde that the weirdness left with them. One would be wrong as you can see from this video. The guitarist/vocalist might even out weird Claypool:

Blind Illusion-Straight As The Crowbar Flies:

What the hell am I watching?! Hillbillies having a bad acid trip? That video is a bit much. Musically it's some sort of tough guy metal, I dunno. There's like one thrash riff in there, but it could be anything really from rock to stoner metal. Manilla Road, Corrosion of Conformity... those are a few of the things I thought of. GWAR? Laughing very hard

Pretty cool riffs though, and solos that make this a winner. Memorable dumb lyrics. It's all good fun, to be honest. Modern guitar sound/amplification does not usually do much for me, but this one has an interesting organic sound. I could imagine looking up another song by this band.

Vocalist isn't doing anything interesting. Difficult to say about his abilities.

I think I cleared the backlog. Out of the four tonight, Slammer was my favourite, but this last one was pretty interesting too. Or should I say weird.

Thanks for the contributions. Keep 'em coming for next time.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 12:39 am

Lari wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

At least I haven't listened to Exorcist (that I know of), so this is a first for me.

Some eerie keys and horror (hilarious) narration to start the song.

Song starts and it's thrash metal. Faster than the previous track. Vocalist really can't sing for shit, but he does this *eeeeargh* and gravely talk-singing. I'm not a fan.

That frantic rhythm is really nice, song has potential. Sounds quite low-fi, low budget, low-everything... a DYI take on old style thrash metal.

Maybe not the greatest song in the thread, but it was quite fun/funny. But really doesn't make me want to look up more Exorcist. Thanks anyway.

Yeah you're not missing much, but back when this was new, I loved it. Now I think I like it mostly for nostalgic reasons. And so you know, this was sort of a side project for the band Virgin Steele. I think most of the band members in this band are from that band. I just read yesterday after posting this, that there was a record label that was exclusively doing this sort of things with different bands.

Exorcist's Nightmare Theatre was one of a few albums on Cobra Records by made-up bands with their musicians disguised by pseudonyms. It was written and recorded by Virgin Steele's David DeFeis and Edward Pursino with assistance from V.S. bassist Joe O'Reilly and drummer Mark Edwards. This line-up also recorded the sole Original Sin album, with DeFeis' sister Danae as vocalist. Contrary to rumour: 1. The Exorcist project had nothing to do with the dispute over the name Virgin Steele between the band and ex-guitarist Jack Starr. This had already been resolved by the time Nightmare Theatre was made. 2. No second album was recorded. wrote:

That was taken from the Encyclopedia Metallum website. I knew the Virgin Steel connection, but had no idea about that record label thing.

Up next is just a band I'm sure most everyone here has heard of, but I don't remember ever seeing them mentioned much. This is a band I LOVED when I first discovered them in the early 90's.

Pro-Pain, Foul Taste of Freedom
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 10:29 pm

Genetic Wisdom - Inside the Triangle (of Death) from their album The Fear Dimension. Most of these guys belonged to another band, Sacrosanct, who released two thrash bangers in the early 90's, then went on more of a progressive bend. This album kinda sits the line between the two.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 9:57 pm

Theocracy-As The World Bleeds

With all due respect to Stryper, this is probably the best Christian metal band ever. The musicmanship is tight, the songs are catchy, and the lyrics very well written. Don't let the Christian tag scare you off because those well written lyrics aren't very preachy and never cheesy. Had a hard time figuring which song to post because they have so many good ones (IMO they haven't had a bad song yet-but with only 4-soon to be 5-albums in a 20 year career they take their time to craft their songs).

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 3:47 pm

I'll listen to some tunes tonight. There's still time to throw in more songs.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 6:07 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:

Up next is just a band I'm sure most everyone here has heard of, but I don't remember ever seeing them mentioned much. This is a band I LOVED when I first discovered them in the early 90's.

Nope, I have not listened to Pro-Pain.

The singing really isn't my thing. That hardcore barking. Music sounds fine. A bit like Suicidal Tendencies, no? Catchy chorus, with gang shouts. It's not a fast song, but there's some fine guitar work. This song gets my stamp of approval for sure, even if I'm not usually really into this kind of stuff. Crossover metal / hardcore punk, right?

I like the rhythm and the groove. It's got some serious hooks too. I'm actually surprised this didn't come with a video. It seems like a tune that would get over well. At least in the 90's.

It's a well composed song that doesn't overstay its welcome. I think a full album might get a little grating though.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 6:15 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Genetic Wisdom - Inside the Triangle (of Death) from their album The Fear Dimension.  Most of these guys belonged to another band, Sacrosanct, who released two thrash bangers in the early 90's, then went on more of a progressive bend.  This album kinda sits the line between the two.

I have never heard of these people. There's a Dutch flag on the top right corner, so I'm assuming that's where they're from.

Intro has some start-stop bits that give away the tech thrash leanings immediately. Heavy guitar wall - first band I thought of was Heathen, but they're not progressive at all.

Singer has a classic thrash metal voice, but the vocals are buried a little in the mix. It's alright, because nothing spectacular happens there. Some layered vocals, some high pitched screams, but mostly what you would expect. Nothing bad though, so it works perfect.

I really like the guitar solo part. That running melodic sound just works so well.

The song itself is very good, but there's so many parts it's maybe a little tough to dig into that much at first listen. This has great potential though.

Definitely a winner here. Excellent music. One of the better ones I've heard in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 6:28 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

With all due respect to Stryper, this is probably the best Christian metal band ever. The musicmanship is tight, the songs are catchy, and the lyrics very well written. Don't let the Christian tag scare you off because those well written lyrics aren't very preachy and never cheesy. Had a hard time figuring which song to post because they have so many good ones (IMO they haven't had a bad song yet-but with only 4-soon to be 5-albums in a 20 year career they take their time to craft their songs).

That's some high praise coming from you. I'm not scared by Christian tags, so no worries there. I love good music with a message, and especially if it's something the songwriter believes in. I know Theocracy, but I haven't listened to them.

I like the cover art as a concept, but it's done in that style I hate. Effects similar to the Felipe Machado Franco the bulk artist. It might even be him.

Music is terrific. Competent singer - he has range and power. A well composed power metal song, even if it's not extraordinarily unique or anything. Playing fast and well is definitely a strength here for all band members. Riffs could be heavier, but that's just me. Melodies are great and they are plenty. A little bit of cheese is to be expected.

Production is very modern, dynamic but maybe too stock, especially the guitars. But I could still listen all day to this guy play. Some excellent work there.

It's a pretty damn long song. It slows down a little at the end, for this epic part that's also well done. Kind of Helloweenish, Keeper of the Seven Keys style epic.

Beautiful song. Had some punch too. I like it a lot. I could see myself getting these guys on CD, or at the very least listening through a full album if it's of this quality.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 7:15 pm

Lari wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

Nope, I have not listened to Pro-Pain.

The singing really isn't my thing. That hardcore barking. Music sounds fine. A bit like Suicidal Tendencies, no? Catchy chorus, with gang shouts. It's not a fast song, but there's some fine guitar work. This song gets my stamp of approval for sure, even if I'm not usually really into this kind of stuff. Crossover metal / hardcore punk, right?

I like the rhythm and the groove. It's got some serious hooks too. I'm actually surprised this didn't come with a video. It seems like a tune that would get over well. At least in the 90's.

It's a well composed song that doesn't overstay its welcome. I think a full album might get a little grating though.

Yes I'd say some hardcore/crossover/thrash is in there. I guess they are still active, and I only have the first 3 albums, so I have no idea what they sound like these days. The 3 I have are all in the same vein as this song pretty much. You might check the album out and see what you think. I get not wanting to hear a whole album, thinking it might not sit well, but I like them.

Okay up next we have the band Tenet. Steve Souza on vocals, Gene Hoglan on drums, one guitarist and bass player from strapping Young Lads, and can't remember where the other guitar player was from. One off album, which is a shame because this thing kicks ass IMO.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm

Lari wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

That's some high praise coming from you. I'm not scared by Christian tags, so no worries there. I love good music with a message, and especially if it's something the songwriter believes in. I know Theocracy, but I haven't listened to them.

I like the cover art as a concept, but it's done in that style I hate. Effects similar to the Felipe Machado Franco the bulk artist. It might even be him.

Music is terrific. Competent singer - he has range and power. A well composed power metal song, even if it's not extraordinarily unique or anything. Playing fast and well is definitely a strength here for all band members. Riffs could be heavier, but that's just me. Melodies are great and they are plenty. A little bit of cheese is to be expected.

Production is very modern, dynamic but maybe too stock, especially the guitars. But I could still listen all day to this guy play. Some excellent work there.

It's a pretty damn long song. It slows down a little at the end, for this epic part that's also well done. Kind of Helloweenish, Keeper of the Seven Keys style epic.

Beautiful song. Had some punch too. I like it a lot. I could see myself getting these guys on CD, or at the very least listening through a full album if it's of this quality.

Their first album is probably their weakest but considering it was all done by the singer it is quite impressive. He produced it, mixed it, played all the guitars, bass, and keyboards and recorded his voice at various levels and put them together in sort of a one man choir. The drums were programed but hey, there is only so much one person can do (a few years ago he replaced the programmed drums with an actual drummer-but kept the rest in tact). After that he had a full band and the sophomore album was a huge improvement. The last two albums though are IMO as close to perfect as you can get (couldn't find a single bad review on Amazon). They are finishing up a new album and is one of my most anticipated albums this year.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2023 10:26 pm

For next time this is from this year, Fifth Angel-When Angels Kill. Apparently these guys have a past but I don't know anything about that. I read a review on Angry Metal Guy and they gave it a glowing review (if you are not familiar with that site, they are very hard to please) so I gave it a try, glad I did.

Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2023 12:38 am

Fallen Angel - Spectacle of Fear, from their one and only album Faith Fails.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2023 3:21 am

I'll check a 2nd one up, as it's fresh in my head.

Sindrome - Rapture in Blood. This originally came from their demo tape Into the Halls of Extermination. It was re-released in 2016 as Resurrection: The Complete Collection.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2023 12:20 am

I'll throw yet another one up.

Steel Reign - Cease to Exist, from their album Change to Insane.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2023 12:58 am

Here's a song by an Italian band i just discovered. Got the cd too. Great vocals:

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 9:48 am

I know you like some punk rock every now and then.
I thought this was a fast fun video.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 10:03 pm

FIREWĂ–LFE-M.O.D. (Metal Or Die):

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post a song, I will comment on it   Post a song, I will comment on it - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post a song, I will comment on it
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next