Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Extended Versions

Go down 
+18
Dark Horseman
mikeinfla
Grimmo
James B.
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
manny
Metal Misfit
arttieTHE1manparty
Thrasher73
mr.electric39
ultmetal
mc666
kmorg
spiritoradio
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Extended Versions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

manny wrote:
I bought the Alice Cooper Extended Versions recently, it was live recordings taken from 'Trashes the World' DVD,

The Alice Cooper disc is one of the "EV's" that I wanna check out. I don't own any Alice on CD so I might as well start somewhere.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Megadeth is the only one that I have as well. I would love to get a hold of the Cinderella, Stryper Damn Yankees stuff. I had no clue those were even out there. All I have seen is stuff like 38 Special, Toto, Loverboy, Night Ranger, Styx and so on. Pass...
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Interesting idea but as it seems badly executed as it's all previously released stuff. If it were unreleased live recordings, it would be awesome. Though there are some bands that would interest me (Triumph, Over Kill, Night Ranger, Megadeth) but sadly with 15-18€ per CD they are too expensive for containing just 10 songs, that's the price of a 2 CD Live album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Quote :
Interesting idea but as it seems badly executed as it's all previously released stuff.

Not all of 'em. Most are, but it looks like there are some that are previously unreleased. The trick is figuring out which ones.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm

I typed "extended versions" on Ebay

The first page was cds by Thin Lizzy, The Monkees, Yes, REO Speedwagon, The Outlaws, Foriegner, Tesla, Eddie & The Cruisers, Cinderella, Jethro Tull, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, The Fix, Styx, Billy Squier, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lou Reed, Motorhead, Alice Cooper, Queensryche, Kansas, Dee Snider, Alan Parsons Project, Benny Mardones, Ringo Starr, LA Guns, Pat Benetar, The Romantics, Warrant, Best Of Southern Rock, Hall and Oates, george Thorogood and The Destroyers, Vanilla Fudge, Survivor, Ted Nugent, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Three or so of those listed above were 8.99. The expensive one was Ringo Starr @ 9.99. The majority was 3.99 and alot were .99.

I didnt relize there were so many

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

manny wrote:
I bought the Alice Cooper Extended Versions recently, it was live recordings taken from 'Trashes the World' DVD, and the two Foreigner Extended Versions are unreleased live recordings with the current line up so those are cool.

I just got the same disc from GoHastings this past week and I'm diggin' it. Also picked up Motorhead's volume, which if I'm not mistaken was culled from the now-out-of-print EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYONE ELSE live album from '99.
Total cost for both of'em was about five bucks. Can't beat that with a stick.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I have the entire discographies of bands such as Anthrax, Overkill and Megadeth excluding those 'extended version' releases, as they are just repackaged and trimmed down versions of live albums I already have. opinion
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 9:20 am

Grimmo wrote:
I have the entire discographies of bands such as Anthrax, Overkill and Megadeth excluding those 'extended version' releases, as they are just repackaged and trimmed down versions of live albums I already have. opinion

Again, NOT ALL OF THEM ARE! SOME OF THEM INCLUDE PREVIOSULY UNRELEASED MATERIAL, AND SOME EVEN EXCLUSIVE STUFF AS A WHOLE. opinion

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am

kmorg wrote:
Grimmo wrote:

Again, NOT ALL OF THEM ARE! SOME OF THEM INCLUDE PREVIOSULY UNRELEASED MATERIAL, AND SOME EVEN EXCLUSIVE STUFF AS A WHOLE. opinion

But the 3 bands I mentioned don't appear to have any exclusive tracks on their respective ones at all.

I must correct my earlier statement. I actually do have the Megadeth one, and it's simply a selection of tracks from Rude Awakenings with quieter mastering. The Anthrax (songs taken from Music of Mass Desctruction) and Overkill (songs taken from Wrecking Neck) versions I checked out some time ago, and there did not appear to be anything exclusive on those either, so I decided against getting them.

Yes, I have read that other releases for other artists do have exclusive tracks on them.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 am

Most of them are previously released stuff. Foreigner has two of them, one from Vegas 2005, the other one is more recent and has a few different songs on it. I have Damn Yankees, which is audio from the RISE UP VHS, Doobie Brothers which is from Live 96, Cinderella, Styx from Return To Paradise and a few others. Most of them are enjoyable and a steal at 5 bucks. Finally saw MegaDeth the other day for the first time but didn't pick it up, I should have. Usually on the inside it will list all of the other releases. Also picked up Bad Co and as far as I know it is a different live album than the CMC International release "Merchants Of Cool" which is also a good live album. Would love to hear Paul sing HOLY WATER but I guess they are staying away from the Brian Howe songs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:45 am

I've got an uber cheap copy of the Sex Pistols' "Extended Versions" coming to me from GoHastings... it didn't occur to me till after the order was placed that it will likely end up being a recording from one of their 90s era "reunion" live performances and not a vintage '70s gig, but what the hell, for a buck 49 I'm not gonna complain.

**EDIT** a quick look at the CD's Amazon listing seems to indicate that it's a vintage gig w/either Sid Vicious or his predecessor, Glen Matlock, on bass (the reviews contradict each other). Either way... cool.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 9:26 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Foreigner has two of them, one from Vegas 2005, the other one is more recent and has a few different songs on it.

There are two Deep Purple discs in the series too...neither of them feature Richie Blackmore, though... one is from the short lived mid 70s line up with Tommy Bolin on guitar and the other is a recent gig w/Steve Morse.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 pm

The Steve Morse lineup of Purple is excellent live, if you get it cheap enough I'd grab it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Grimmo wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Grimmo wrote:

But the 3 bands I mentioned don't appear to have any exclusive tracks on their respective ones at all.

I must correct my earlier statement. I actually do have the Megadeth one, and it's simply a selection of tracks from Rude Awakenings with quieter mastering. The Anthrax (songs taken from Music of Mass Desctruction) and Overkill (songs taken from Wrecking Neck) versions I checked out some time ago, and there did not appear to be anything exclusive on those either, so I decided against getting them.

Yes, I have read that other releases for other artists do have exclusive tracks on them.

Yeah, I forgot the lol! sign Embarassed

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 am

lol! at the omitted lol!

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:20 am

SWEET! Picked up Krokus - EV for $1.44 at FYE yesterday! And it wasn't used! They had metal discs on sale. Anything that ended in 88 cents was 50 % off. Krokus was 2.88. Also picked up Fastway's Debut for $2.44. These were the only ones that sparked my interested. The guy who assitted me KNEW his metal. Was talking about the ReMastered Guiffria that was just released and talked about Stalingrad and the new Fastway when he saw me grab the Fastway disc. He mentioned Dave King wasn't on it but that it was still Killer. Nice to be in a store where the employee actually knows metal.

As for the Krokus disc, looks like it is from 2003. I grabbed it without checking the track listing and when I got home I was hoping it would have more songs on it (Midnight Maniac, Headhunter) but for a buck 44 I can't complain.

Mike
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am

Bumping this for reasons that I choose to keep to myself.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am

As we were discussing in the Cinderella discog-thread, I just got their Extended Versions volume from Hastings. After the first spin I'd say it's pretty good. Will post a more indepth review of it in that discography thread once I've given it a few more listens.

I was under the mistaken impression that this particular Cinderella gig (Mohegan Sun, 2005) had been previously released by the band themselves before it became part of the "E.V." series. Turns out that a couple of years after this "E.V." disc, Frontiers Records released the same gig (with several more songs added) as Live At Mohegan Sun.

Also got a Deep Purple "E.V." of the Mark IV lineup (w/Coverdale and Tommy Bolin)... listening to that one now. This show has been released previously as a "King Biscuit Flower Hour" album and also under one or two other titles, apparently.

But hey, as I always say when it comes to these things, if I haven't heard'em, then they're new to me.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

That Deep Purple gig is not one of their best, Tommy Bolin who launched a solo career as the same time he joined Deep Purple, was already tired of nightly cat calls for " Blackmore" and was ready to move on, which he did when the band broke up a few months after that gig you have in your hands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

manny wrote:
That Deep Purple gig is not one of their best, Tommy Bolin who launched a solo career as the same time he joined Deep Purple, was already tired of nightly cat calls for " Blackmore" and was ready to move on, which he did when the band broke up a few months after that gig you have in your hands.

I paid $1.79 for it. For that price I'm not gonna complain too much. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

I paid $1.79 for it. For that price I'm not gonna complain too much. Very Happy

I like it just did not want you to think this was a great representation of Deep Purple or Tommy Bolin for that matter, its good but not up to the usual Deep Purple standards.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 pm

I see these all the time so it will be interesting to look and see if any of the good ones are available.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

What I find funny is reading the reviews of some of these CDs on Amazon. Due to the misleading/nonsensical album title, people seem to think they'll be getting special "extended" club mixes or single remixes of the songs, so they're pissed. Haha. Nevermind that it usually sez "LIVE!" or "Recorded Live" right on the front cover of each and every damn one of 'em. Duhhh.

Either that, or they're all pissed off cuz they already have the original CD that the performance is taken from, so they "review" it by saying something like "This cd is a ripoff! its just a cut down version of (name of previously released live album) what a ripoff this is just a cheap way for the crooked record companys to get more of your $$$ AVOID" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Quote :
This cd is a ripoff! its just a cut down version of (name of previously released live album)

Which makes the naming of them "Extended Versions" all the more perplexing. What exactly are they extending again? [Feel free to add your own penis and/or mom joke here. I'm too busy at the moment]

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
This cd is a ripoff! its just a cut down version of (name of previously released live album)

Which makes the naming of them "Extended Versions" all the more perplexing. What exactly are they extending again?

I'm too tired to come up with a penis and/or mom joke. Laughing very hard

But seriously, beats me. I guess the only thing that's being "extended" is the shelf life of a lotta out-of-print material by a lotta out-of-vogue artists.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extended Versions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next