Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Extended Versions

Go down 
+18
Dark Horseman
mikeinfla
Grimmo
James B.
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
manny
Metal Misfit
arttieTHE1manparty
Thrasher73
mr.electric39
ultmetal
mc666
kmorg
spiritoradio
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 9:00 pm

I know these albums get kind of a bad rep. because they are usually re-hashing's of already released live recordings, but I think that for $5 - $6 a disc I don't think it's that bad of a deal. They just released a Foreigner Extended versions and it is fantastic. I also like the REO Speedwagon, Survivor, Cinderella, in fact I think they are all pretty good. One thing that I like about them is that if you are short on money, but want to get some "new" music it's only like 5 bucks as opposed to 15 bucks. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 6:21 am

I have one by Tesla, and I want the Stryper one, just for the collection. Why do they call them Extended Versions, when they doesn't even contain ful albums? scratch

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 7:30 am

i was always curious about that as well.

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 10:15 am

I have the Thin lizzy, but just cuz I'm a Sykes freak.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 5:18 pm

I have a few of them, Thin Lizzy (which is a rehash of an old album),
Molly Hatchet (which was previously unreleased), Lynyrd Skynyrd (part
live, part studio), Overkill and a few others.

I want the Stryper one too. It's the same as the 7 Weeks CD, except it has one track that wasn't on that CD.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 12:47 am

I have the one for 38 Special... that thing kicks butt !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 2:18 am

I have Tesla, but I really want the Stryper one.

Administrator
ultmetal

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 am

The Molly Hatchet one was great as it was an unreleased concert. The Stryper one is cool as it contains a track that isn't on the "7 Weeks" disc. The Cinderella one is also great because it is a previously unreleased concert.

I also own Extended Versions by Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Overkill...

Is the Foreigner concert old or more recent?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 1:23 pm

I've got one of Helloween,great disc!
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 10:58 pm

I have Great White's (duh), Tesla, Foreigner, Overkill, Cinderella, and a couple of others. I also want the Stryper one as soon as I can find it.

Ult...the Foreigner one is definitely recent, as it features Jeff Pilson of Dokken on bass, Jason Bonham (Bonham) on drums, and of course new lead singer Kelly Hansen (ex-Hurricane).

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 10:52 pm

So these albums are live compilations? Extended Versions 685534

Are the songs from official releases or just random live recordings that the label got their hands on?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 am

Metal Misfit most of the Extended Versions are comps of previous live releases but a few such as the Foreigner, Damn Yankees, and Paul Rodgers are all unreleased live recordings.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 am

The only one I have is Megadeth's. It's an ok live recording, but nothing spectacular. I bought it for exactly 2 reasons. It was cheap and I'm a Megadeth fan-boy.

I don't know off-hand of the source material. I know it's a latter day recording, I wanna say it's the World Needs A Hero line-up. That's all I remember without it sitting here in front of me.

Administrator
ultmetal

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 am

manny wrote:
Metal Misfit most of the Extended Versions are comps of previous live releases but a few such as the Foreigner, Damn Yankees, and Paul Rodgers are all unreleased live recordings.

And Molly Hatchet.

The Stryper is previously released too, but for some reason has one song not on the original release.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

I have a few of them. they're not that bad... they can be used as a tester before buying the full albums.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The only one I have is Megadeth's. It's an ok live recording, but nothing spectacular. I bought it for exactly 2 reasons. It was cheap and I'm a Megadeth fan-boy.

I don't know off-hand of the source material. I know it's a latter day recording, I wanna say it's the World Needs A Hero line-up. That's all I remember without it sitting here in front of me.

From what I've researched, the tracks are pulled from the Rude Awakening double live album. So if you have that one, this one is pretty much worthless.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Interesting... I always assumed they were budget "hits" compilations. Didn't realize they were live recordings. Unless I haven't paid close attention, the packaging never seems to state they are live versions.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am

I picked up a couple of these "Extended Versions" CDs recently (Megadeth and Anthrax, plus a Quiet Riot one I bought some time ago) and they're quite cool even though I'm not a huge live-album guy.

They're nice 'n' cheap (I may not wanna pay double the price for a full 2-CD live album, but I'll gladly part with five bucks for a boiled-down version) so I could see myself picking up more of 'em in my future travels. There must be nearly 100 of 'em available in this series, it looks like just about any band who ever released material through Sony/BMG has an "Extended Versions" volume.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am

I pulled out my copy of Megadeth's this week to give it a fresh spin after I saw you just bought a copy. Then I remembered why I don't listen to it very often. It's just a shortened version of the Rude Awakening album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I pulled out my copy of Megadeth's this week to give it a fresh spin after I saw you just bought a copy. Then I remembered why I don't listen to it very often. It's just a shortened version of the Rude Awakening album.

...Yeah, it is, but that's fine with me cuz I never bothered to pick up "Rude Awakening," so this will work for me. Very Happy

The Anthrax one is edited down from the "Music of Mass Destruction" CD/DVD too. Most of the "E.V." series are just boiled down from previously issued material, but the Quiet Riot disc I have is apparently an 'exclusive' that had never been released before.

I do find it odd that on the Anthrax disc, every time John Bush swears during his between-song banter w/the audience, it's blurred/edited, yet you can hear the lyric "...you won't f**k around no more" in "I Am the Law" clear as day. Maybe they were afraid that WalMart wouldn't stock this CD unless they cut down on the number of F-Bombs? surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

Yea, I guess they're good and cheap enough to get a sampling of a band, but I don't see myself getting too many of these. Maybe the Cinderella and Tesla ones.

I guess it's best to research 'em a little bit and see if it's unreleased material first.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 am

Quote :
I guess it's best to research 'em a little bit and see if it's unreleased material first.

I've been skimming thru reviews of some of'em on Amazon and I'm interested in finding the Deep Purple, Tesla, Damn Yankees, Cinderella and Stryper ones now. Some of those are rehashes of previously released stuff, but I don't have any of the "source" materials so hey, if I don't already own it, then it's "new" to me.

...and damn, on a whim I just looked a bunch o'these up on GoHastings.com and used copies are dirt cheap... less than three bucks for almost all of the ones I want. Hotcha! Think I'll be placing an order for a heap of these soon.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Spend that .53 cents you found in the washer!! Or you could help Vixen make their latest dream a reality. The choice is yours. Choose wisely, my friend.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Spend that .53 cents you found in the washer!! Or you could help Vixen make their latest dream a reality. The choice is yours. Choose wisely, my friend.

Laughing very hard And y'know what, speaking of which... Vixen has an "Extended Versions" volume too! I think a used copy will set you back $1.49 from Hastings. Very Happy

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I bought the Alice Cooper Extended Versions recently, it was live recordings taken from 'Trashes the World' DVD, and the two Foreigner Extended Versions are unreleased live recordings with the current line up so those are cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Extended Versions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extended Versions   Extended Versions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extended Versions
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next