Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?

Go down 
+7
tohostudios
DeathCult
manny
Troublezone
James B.
mc666
AchrisK
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Empty
PostSubject: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I know sometimes with the bigger bands it seems like there are a myriad of different issues on different labels. I am planning to start exploring the early Scorpions discog. I already know Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism and Blackout. I want to explore the stuff before that.

So are there any issues or reissues to stay away from, or that are especially good? I don't care about bonus tracks, just the original tracks with a sound that is good.

Also, are any of them especially hard to find/expensive?

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:54 pm

From the very early stuff, I only own Lonesome Crow and Fly To The Rainbow on CD (the others are still on tape). I know Lonesome Crow was just reissued as a digipack, but there were no bonus tracks at all. And as far as I know, they haven't gotten that sort of deluxe reissue treatment. If anything, just remasters.

Check the official Scorpions website; it's got a pretty extensive discography. I've used it many times researching one thing or another. I wish more bands had that much info.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 12:20 am

In Trance, Taken By Force, & especially Virgin Killer are all outstanding.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 2:03 am

mc666 wrote:

outstanding places to start....ya gott dive into Tokyo Tapes as well. The swan song by a great line up
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 6:10 am

I have Taken by Force and it's great!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:16 am

Start with "Taken by Force" excellent songwriting which straddles styles between the more adventureous style they had with Uli Jon Roth to what they would become in the 80's, also contains their best ballad "Born to Touch Your Feelings'. Avoid " Lonesome Crow" one of the worst debuts in rock history, this one is for completist only or if your curious to hear what Spinal Tap would have sounded like as flower children.

Last edited by manny on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 10:32 am

http://www.amazon.com/Trance-Virgin-Killer-Black-Collection/dp/B000N3AWGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1218896978&sr=1-2

I suggest starting here, unfortunately, it seems it has gone out of print now, but the sellers prices aren't much more than what it cost originally. You get their two best early albums (In Trance & Virgin Killer) completely remastered on a 2 disc set with the complete Fly To The Rainbow album (also remastered) as bonus tracks split up between the two discs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 10:39 am

Another vote for Taken By Force.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:41 pm

manny wrote:
Start with "Taken by Force" excellent songwriting which straddles styles between the more adventureous style they had with Uli Jon Roth to what they would become in the 80's, also contains their best ballad "Born to Touch Your Feelings'. Avoid " Lonesome Crow" one of the worst debuts in rock history, this one is for completist only or if your curious to hear what Spinal Tap would have sounded like as flower children.

I'm coming to the party a little late with my Scorpions collection. I was so burned out on their "hits" that I never want to hear Rock You Like a Hurricane again in my lifetime. That being said, I'm going backwards and looking to beef up my collection with all their pre-80's-hits cd's. I recently picked up Lonsome Crow and thought it was brilliant. Manny, you're correct. It is absolutely NOTHING like their later albums, but I love it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:51 pm

I own the digi pack version of Lonesome Crow, it sounds fine. A good bit different than the
rest of the catalogue, as others have previously posted, but a good listen nonetheless, imho.
Also, Taken By Force is a great album. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

I'm coming to the party a little late with my Scorpions collection. I was so burned out on their "hits" that I never want to hear Rock You Like a Hurricane again in my lifetime. That being said, I'm going backwards and looking to beef up my collection with all their pre-80's-hits cd's. I recently picked up Lonsome Crow and thought it was brilliant. Manny, you're correct. It is absolutely NOTHING like their later albums, but I love it.

Metalguy your post has inspired to pull Lonesome Crow out of the archieves I still have it on cassette, since I never bothered replacing it with a cd version, but I will listen to it hopefully with a fresher pair of ears see what maybe I missed the first time around
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:36 pm

mc666 wrote:

Yup! My favorites. Uli Roth is an outstanding and unique player. These records are VERY different from Animal Magnatism, Lovedrive and Blackout.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Yup! My favorites. Uli Roth is an outstanding and unique player. These records are VERY different from Animal Magnatism, Lovedrive and Blackout.

ULT, I think you have the same "Axe Killer Warrior's Set" of the Scorpions. I purchased that set this past summer, and it was easily my best purchases. It contains the albums "In Trance" and "Virgin Killers". As a bonus on Disc 1 it has the first three songs off "Fly To The Rainbow", and on Disc 2 it contains the next four songs off of "Fly To The Rainbow". Everything is remastered, and comes with a nice poster of the "In Trance" album. This is a limited edition, so if you have the funds, check it out.

I also have "Taken By Force", which was also remastered. I think the other stuff is outstanding, but this is where the Scorpions were at their pinnacle.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:

ULT, I think you have the same "Axe Killer Warrior's Set" of the Scorpions. I purchased that set this past summer, and it was easily my best purchases. It contains the albums "In Trance" and "Virgin Killers". As a bonus on Disc 1 it has the first three songs off "Fly To The Rainbow", and on Disc 2 it contains the next four songs off of "Fly To The Rainbow". Everything is remastered, and comes with a nice poster of the "In Trance" album. This is a limited edition, so if you have the funds, check it out.

I also have "Taken By Force", which was also remastered. I think the other stuff is outstanding, but this is where the Scorpions were at their pinnacle.

Actually, I suggested that set. Bought it when they first put it out
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?   Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scorpions early catalog. Best/worst versions?
Page 1 of 1