Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live versions that are better than the originals...

Go down 
+14
mlotek
Eyesore
metalhead777
arachnoplasma
Hadley
Hamer12
GrandNational
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
tohostudios
chewie
ultmetal
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Live versions that are better than the originals... Empty
PostSubject: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 am

onebigfish wrote:
Live versions that are better than the originals Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 am
I have found that there are live versions of some songs that come off better than the originals. Order some songs you think that are better live than on the original album?

Thought this was an interesting topic that I read on another board.

Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me
The version of Live at Budakon is the ultimate version. The studio version on In Color is good, but a bit weak in comparison.

Thin Lizzy - The Rocker
The live version on Live & Dangerous is exactly as the album titled suggest. It's heavy and raw and exactly how rock and roll should be.

I'm sure I can think of plenty more, but those two popped into my head immediately.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 am

Testament - Disciples of the Watch
Live on Return to the Apocalyptic City. Absolutely love that EP.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 am

I've always felt the live version of Rock And Roll All Nite of Alive! was 10 times better than the studio version off Dressed To Kill.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Magnum Opus is way Killer live than on the Leftoverture album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Turn The Page off of Seger's Live Bullet is way better than the studio version IMO.

Pat Travers - Boom Boom Out Go The Lights.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 pm

AC/DC-Problem Child, High Voltage, The Jack, oh hell the entire If You Want Blood is superior to the studio versions.

Aerosmith-Come Together and Chip Away the Stone (Live Bootleg)-sounds sleezy, sloopy, drug filled mess like they should sound

Deep Purple-Highway Star, Smoke on the Water- from the legendary Made In Japan set
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Testament - Disciples of the Watch
Live on Return to the Apocalyptic City. Absolutely love that EP.

Most people don't even realize that's Glen Alvelais on guitar on that one. He is an amazing guitarist and completely underrated. I wish he was in TESTAMENT now instead of Skolnick, and I was a huge Skolnick fanboy growing up. He used to be one of my absolute favorite lead guitarists.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:32 pm

I question how live most "live albums" really are so I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Probably not one most people are familiar with, but I love the live version of:
ROSE - On My Knees off of the Intense Live Series.
The studio version is sort of flat in comparison.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

KISS - Alive! Need I say more? ALL the live tracks are better than the studio versions.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:38 pm

KISS-Alive II and I am going throw in KISS-Alive III, I know you asked for individual songs, well this two albums kick the sh*t out of the studio versions, and I don't give a rat's ass if some of the tracks had overdubs on them, still kick ass.

Judas Priest-The Ripper, Tyrant, and ...oh hell the entire 'Unleased in the East' played at the proper volume will make you want to pick a fight with a smaller dude and beat the hell out of them.

Ted Nugent-Great White Buffalo-will blow the balls off any Rhino 50 yards away.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Most if not all of the songs on the Who's Live at Leeds destroys anything their studio counterparts sounded like.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Most if not all of the songs on the Who's Live at Leeds destroys anything their studio counterparts sounded like.

humble humble humble

I can't believe I forgot 'Live at Leeds' and of course Hendrix (God) 'Band of Gypsys' just is excellent.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 pm

manny wrote:
KISS-Alive II and I am going throw in KISS-Alive III, I know you asked for individual songs, well this two albums kick the sh*t out of the studio versions, and I don't give a rat's ass if some of the tracks had overdubs on them, still kick ass.

Judas Priest-The Ripper, Tyrant, and ...oh hell the entire 'Unleased in the East' played at the proper volume will make you want to pick a fight with a smaller dude and beat the hell out of them.

Ted Nugent-Great White Buffalo-will blow the balls off any Rhino 50 yards away.

Agree with you on Priest too!!! Throw in At Budakon too.... I prefer the studio versions to Alive II, but some of the tracks on Alive III are much better than the studio versions. Watchin You is frakin awesome on Alive III!!!!!!! Domino blows away the studio version, but most of that is because the Gene's bass tone on Revenge sucks donkey dicks - what was Bob Ezrin thinking? He could have come up with a much better bass tone!!!!!!

I need to throw in Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio... AWESOME versions of the Brave New World tracks, the ultimate version of Fear Of The Dark (250,000 Rock In Rio attendees can't be wrong). AND the Bruce/Adrian versions of the Blaze tracks so 1 million times better than the studio albums!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm

I would say almost all the songs on Another Lesson In Violence by Exodus are better than the originals IMO. But then again that's just my O. If I want to listen to the old stuff I grab it first.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

humble humble humble

I can't believe I forgot 'Live at Leeds' and of course Hendrix (God) 'Band of Gypsys' just is excellent.

Thought about Hendrix too myself, love the jams on that album. The only reason I didn't mention it is because the original release had basically all new songs and not based on studio tracks, from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 pm

GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

humble humble humble

Thought about Hendrix too myself, love the jams on that album. The only reason I didn't mention it is because the original release had basically all new songs and not based on studio tracks, from what I remember.

Well you are correct the studio version for some of those cuts were not released til after his death, so I am counting it, simply because Hendrix is God.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:54 pm

manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

humble humble humble

Well you are correct the studio version for some of those cuts were not released til after his death, so I am counting it, simply because Hendrix is God.

Yes sir, you said it, not me.

Last edited by GrandNational on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I can't believe I forgot the Who's Live at Leeds, for its day it was a very heavy album and almost a proto type metal album, may the rock gods forgive me for my oversight!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Not metal but the live version of U2's Bullet the Blue Sky on Rattle and Hum.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:47 pm

manny wrote:
I can't believe I forgot the Who's Live at Leeds, for its day it was a very heavy album and almost a proto type metal album, may the rock gods forgive me for my oversight!

lol! It's OK Manny, that's why you have a support group here with us.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Hmmm. It's hard to narrow it down to just individual songs because I tend to be a fan of live albums. I totally agree with the mentions of Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Maiden's Rock in Rio, and definitely Priest's Unleashed in the East, though. Those are all favorites.

Also throw in Kreator's Live Kreation (the '90s songs in particular sound WAY better live), and Blind Guardian's Tokyo Tales (it has my favorite versions of "Valhalla," "Majesty," "Traveler in Time" and "Banish From Sanctuary"). And Slayer's Live Undead, if live in the studio counts. Razz
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Hadley wrote:

I prefer this one , as well. It Kills!!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 pm

chewie wrote:
Hadley wrote:

I prefer this one , as well. It Kills!!!!!

Incredible live version and I agree kills the studio version.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live versions that are better than the originals...   Live versions that are better than the originals... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live versions that are better than the originals...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next