Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?

Go down 
+10
arttieTHE1manparty
sam
DeathCult
ultmetal
candlemass
powermacho
Troublezone
MetalFRO
the sentinel
Muloc7253
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Empty
PostSubject: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:14 pm

First of all let me make clear that I'm not talking about the 70s bluesy version with the 'hobo' lyric.

I have a compilation which I've had for about 5 years ("best heavy metal album in the world...ever!" or something) with 'Here I Go Again' on. It's the '87 version with the tinkly keyboards and the extra kick in the guitars, aswell as the 'drifter I was born...' lyric. However, my girlfriend has a different version of the song (on a different compilation and on the actual Whitesnake album too, I think). The version I have kicks into the guitar straight away, with the first verse sung over the guitars/drums/bass. The version my girlfriend has has a longer keyboard intro with Coverdale singing over the organs for the first verse.

I figured there would be a few Whitesnake collectors on here that might know where the edit I have is from - a radio edit? video edit? But just to clarify again I'm well aware that the original came out in the 70s and has different lyrics and a less commercial sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

3 versions.

1st from "Saints an Sinners". That's the "hobo" version.

2nd from the S/T album with John Sykes on guitar sans heavy keyboards.

3rd was indeed a radio edit with new solos and a heavy keyboard sound added.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:50 pm

happy

Thanks very much, that explains everything.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Once again, spec to the rescue!!! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
3 versions.

FYI, to anyone who cares, the radio edit version is on the "Best of Whitesnake" compilation. I prefer the album version (which was used to make the famous MTV video), as opposed to the lighter "rock" version that is still circulation on soft rock radio today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Answer: Too many.

just kidding
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:44 pm

The 3rd version has Dann Huff (Giant) playing the solos...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:12 pm

The '87 version with Sykes is my favorite by far.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 pm

I prefer Old Whitesnake songs. I have a concert where coverdale started to change his sound heavier, with the bluessy guitars,keaboards and songs from back then, it didn't sound right to my ears, I guess that is why some songs had to be changed slightly in order to progress into a more mainstream sound sick
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: iN   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:05 am

powermacho wrote:
I prefer Old Whitesnake songs. I have a concert where coverdale started to change his sound heavier, with the bluessy guitars,keaboards and songs from back then, it didn't sound right to my ears, I guess that is why some songs had to be changed slightly in order to progress into a more mainstream sound sick

I prefer the original versions, including "Cryin' In The Rain." I liked Whitesnake up 'till the s/t lp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:16 am

candlemass wrote:

I prefer the original versions, including "Cryin' In The Rain." I liked Whitesnake up 'till the s/t lp.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 am

I prefer the original "hobo" version, probably because I heard it first. The Sykes version is good too. I don't care for the radio edit version.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I prefer the original "hobo" version, probably because I heard it first. The Sykes version is good too. I don't care for the radio edit version.

Im with Ult here. While I dont think their S/T is their best album, I still like it well enough, but that radio edit blows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:47 pm

I am absolutely sick of this song. sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
3 versions.

SpectreFate is correct. Then, if you count official live releases, there are 5 versions!

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 am

Can someone post the original "hobo" version?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 7:18 am

EvyMetal wrote:

Here's a sample of it:

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again (1982)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 am

Troublezone wrote:

Technically, the solo on this version is played by Adrian Vandenberg...only the rhythm guitars are John Sykes.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 1:58 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

Here's a sample of it:

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again (1982)

Oh, ok. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Technically, the solo on this version is played by Adrian Vandenberg...only the rhythm guitars are John Sykes.

I thought I read somewhere (years ago), that Vandenburg didn't actually play on that album at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 pm

detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I thought I read somewhere (years ago), that Vandenburg didn't actually play on that album at all?

Almost...that solo was the only thing he did play on that album...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 pm

detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the next album, Slip of the Tongue? From what I remember, Vandenburg hurt/broke his wrist and Steve Vai played all the guitar on that album, but Vandenburg was still part of the band and toured with 'em.

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Mr. of Fire is right. Adrian, although a loyal member of the snake didn't record bupkiss except the solo to HIGA until Restless Heart. Now if he played on SOTT, that would have been a MUCH better album, IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 pm

We're both correct, courtesy of Wikipedia:

1. Initially he was hired as a session musician, helping to complete their eponymous album Whitesnake
(known as 1987 in Europe) after a mass-firing of the original band
members by Coverdale. He contributed the solo to their #1 hit "Here I
Go Again", but guitarist John Sykes played all of the other rhythm and lead guitar on the album.

2. Vandenberg co-wrote all of the music to the follow-up album Slip of the
Tongue. However, in preparing to enter the studio for the recording
sessions, he injured his wrist performing isometric exercises and was
unfortunately unable to contribute lead guitar work to the album Slip of the Tongue. Steve Vai
was imported by founder David Coverdale to record both lead and rhythm
guitars on the album in Vandenberg's stead. Vandenberg healed in time
to stay with the band on tour supporting the album in a now-trademark
dual guitarist role with Steve Vai.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Yeah, I knew Vandenberg did not play anything but that solo on Whitesnake and not at all on Slip...

Speaking of Slip, Cover-face could not have gotten a more un-Blues player than Steve Vai for that record...what was he thinking?

Also, Sykes (I'm pretty sure) only played solos on Slide It In...then did the tour...all the rhythms on the album were the guy Cover-face fired...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next