Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?

Go down 
+22
metalinmyveins
7thSecond
FATALITY
Thrasher73
steel warrior
Troublezone
XYZ
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
Schbopo
thejokeriv
sam
A Handful of Wayne
Chairman_Smith
manny
mc666
Temple of Blood
ghost
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Empty
PostSubject: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm sitting here listening to Sad Wings of Destiny. Victim of Changes is just an awesome song, but I much prefer the live version of Unleashed in the East to the studio version.

Are there any live versions of songs that you prefer over the studio versions?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:15 pm

The 1st one that comes to mind is Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me. Something about those Japanese girls screaming Cryin', cryin' cryin' make the studio version lame by comparrison.

Same wtih the Pat Traver's version of Boom Boom, Out Goes the Lights. You need that audience feedback, that call-and-response.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The 1st one that comes to mind is Cheap Trick's I Want You To Want Me. Something about those Japanese girls screaming Cryin', cryin' cryin' make the studio version lame by comparrison.

Same wtih the Pat Traver's version of Boom Boom, Out Goes the Lights. You need that audience feedback, that call-and-response.

Two excellent examples.

I've always loved the live version of Thin Lizzy's "Sha-la-la" & "The Rocker" over the studio versions.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm not a big live album guy, but I do prefer the live versions of tracks from Raven's ROCK UNTIL YOU DROP and WIPED OUT albums on the LIVE AT THE INFERNO disc over their original studio versions, mainly because the production on those first two studio discs was pretty awful.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:23 pm

I almost always prefer the live versions, with a handful of exceptions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:35 pm

Everything on No Sleep til Hammersmith.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Studio versions in 99% of all cases.

Most "live albums" are totally fake and you can clearly tell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Powerslave
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:45 pm

studio versions > live versions, unless the live versions get doctored in the studio.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Kiss "Alive" the live versions smoke the studio versions, same with UFO " Strangers in the Night' Judas Priest " Unleased in the East' and AC/DC " If you Want Blood". It seems that after they have lived with these songs for awhile they truly come to life on stage. You could add Queen "Live Killers' , Thin Lizzy " Live and Dangerous" and of course Deep Purple "Made in Japan' it is hard for me to choose just a song because as a whole the live cuts sound and have more energy than the studio cuts.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 1:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'm sitting here listening to Sad Wings of Destiny. Victim of Changes is just an awesome song, but I much prefer the live version of Unleashed in the East to the studio version.

Are there any live versions of songs that you prefer over the studio versions?

I like the Al Atkins version more Wink
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:14 pm

I like both versions but Helloweens How Many Tears on I Want Out Live is awesome and maybe just a little more awesome because kiske sang it live.

As for other bands it really depends. If its a band that has a lot of orchestra things and they cant pull it off live then I rather their studio stuff. Right now im listening to Judas Priests '98 live meltdown now this is great even without Halford.

My least favorite live albums are Megadeths.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I like both versions but Helloweens How Many Tears on I Want Out Live is awesome and maybe just a little more awesome because kiske sang it live.

As for other bands it really depends. If its a band that has a lot of orchestra things and they cant pull it off live then I rather their studio stuff. Right now im listening to Judas Priests '98 live meltdown now this is great even without Halford.

My least favorite live albums are Megadeths.

dave's voice does get really annoying live lol!

I really love annihilator's double live annihilation
alison hell live= 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:51 pm

For the most part, I prefer the studio versions - that said, there are some live versions that are much better i.e. everything on KISS - ALIVE! (as previously mentioned), everything on Unleased In The East, Sign of The Cross and The Clansman on Rock In Rio are far superior to the studio versions
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:49 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The Clansman on Rock In Rio

Agreed... Bruce Dickinson totally owns that song now. Blaze who? lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:13 pm

According to an interview with legendary producer Eddie Kramer, about 95% of Kiss Alive 1 was recorded in the studio. However, it's still FAR superior to any of the earlier versions.

Unleashed In The East is probably one of the best examples of this (as Ult mentioned), it is however worth noting that ALL of the vocal tracks were re-recorded in the studio along with most of the guitar solos.

Too many live "rock" albums are doctored in the studio later, I actually prefer to hear the mistakes intact as it more accurately represents the concert experience. I'm a big fan of board mixes and bootlegs for this very reason.

One of my favorite live albums is If You Want Blood, primarily for the songs "Riff Raff", "Bad Boy Boogie" and "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be"...all of which SMOKE the studio versions.

Manny mentioned Made In Japan, which I can definitely see but I think I like both the studio and live versions about equally. They also completely ruin "The Mule" with the drum solo.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Quiet Riot always sounded better live to me.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Studio over live every time.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:50 pm

I am a big fan of live albums b/c they seem to add a little more heaviness and umph to the songs and the crowd really gets into it. To answer the question:

Helloween: How Many Tears
Judas Priest: Green Manalishi; Victim of Changes; The Ripper; Genocide
W.A.S.P.: I Don't Need No Doctor
Anthrax: I Am The Law

🤘
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Anything on Live at Leeds by The Who is better than any studio take.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:13 am

the sentinel wrote:
I am a big fan of live albums b/c they seem to add a little more heaviness and umph to the songs and the crowd really gets into it. To answer the question:

Helloween: How Many Tears
Judas Priest: Green Manalishi; Victim of Changes; The Ripper; Genocide
W.A.S.P.: I Don't Need No Doctor
Anthrax: I Am The Law

🤘

I think that's the case with a lot of 70's bands. Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Angel, Motorhead, etc. all have live albums that I think are some of the best ever. The live performance gives the songs more balls, even if they were doctored in the studio

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:50 am

detuned wrote:

Unleashed In The East is probably one of the best examples of this (as Ult mentioned), it is however worth noting that ALL of the vocal tracks were re-recorded in the studio along with most of the guitar solos.

I read an interview with Neil Kernon (famed album producer who has worked with everybody from Hall & Oates to Cannibal Corpse) years ago, who was an engineer on UNLEASHED IN THE EAST. He pretty well confirmed that its title should've been UNLEASHED IN THE STUDIO, haha.

What I found interesting is that he sez there's an entire second album's worth of UNLEASHED IN THE EAST stuff that was recorded at the same shows/sessions but it's never been released and is sitting in a vault at the record label somewhere. I had kinda hoped that this mythical "second album" would resurface when they did the Priest catalog remasters a few years back but no dice. Shame, cuz I would love to hear them!! Sad

Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
detuned wrote:

I read an interview with Neil Kernon (famed album producer who has worked with everybody from Hall & Oates to Cannibal Corpse) years ago, who was an engineer on UNLEASHED IN THE EAST. He pretty well confirmed that its title should've been UNLEASHED IN THE STUDIO, haha.

What I found interesting is that he sez there's an entire second album's worth of UNLEASHED IN THE EAST stuff that was recorded at the same shows/sessions but it's never been released and is sitting in a vault at the record label somewhere. I had kinda hoped that this mythical "second album" would resurface when they did the Priest catalog remasters a few years back but no dice. Shame, cuz I would love to hear them!! Sad

probably being used as a cup mat for some big executive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 am

I usually like studio better unless the live performance is out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:58 am

I have heard these stories on how these albums were doctored up in the studio, Unleased in the East, Alive, Strangers in the Night,and Live and Dangerous.

Judas Priest have denied that their album has been fixed in the studio, so I am sure that means that it has been, Kiss guys have admitted that Alive and Alive II have a few studio fixes, as has Thin Lizzy's Scott Gorham. Phil Mogg of UFO claims he doesn't remember.

Even with the touch ups, I still think most live versions of the songs are superior.
If you listen to the entire Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous' the energy on that album is amazing. It does take away a little bit of the illusion of 100% live aspect but not the enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next