Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reunion albums: best and worst?

Go down 
+22
Fat Freddy
Hadley
DakotaRogers
Required Fields
Witchfinder
Lari
Gilbert
Thrasher73
Vexer6
the sentinel
rajah
Wurthless
thejokeriv
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Glower
Boris2008
chewie
Thelemech
metalinmyveins
muckie
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 1:40 pm

chewie wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Hits:  Dokken's Dysfunctional,

I forgot about that one. It is really good!

Nowadays I tend to reach for that one more often than their "classic" CDs when I'm in a Dokken mood.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
chewie wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Hits:  Dokken's Dysfunctional,

I forgot about that one. It is really good!

Nowadays I tend to reach for that one more often than their "classic" CDs when I'm in a Dokken mood.

Really ? I think that one is pretty weak.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 3:40 pm

People criticized stuff like 'Back for the Attack' but most of the Dokken stuff I've heard is actually pretty solid, including that one. There are bands with worse catalogs, and worse comeback material from that era than Dokken.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Hadley wrote:
Im in the minority, but i LIKED Generation Swine. The weird industrial/electronic effects actually work in this case and make it sound unique, and Afraid is one of my favorite Crue songs.

I like Generation Swine as well. I have fond memories attached to that album, so it gets a pass from me. I don't mind the experimentation.

Kix's semi-recent reunion Rock Your Face Off is excellent. Don't think that one's been mentioned yet.

KISS' Psycho Circus is the turd in the punchbowl of reunion albums.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 4:49 pm

I will say this about Psycho Circus, the songs that were good (PC, I pledge Allegiance, Into the Void, Raise Your Glasses) were really good, but the bad songs (Within, You Wanted the Best, Journey of 1000 years) were REALLY bad. Of course, thats just my opinion, but it really should have just been an EP with the strongest songs.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 4:50 pm

muckie wrote:
People criticized stuff like 'Back for the Attack' ...

surprised

The song or the album?  Back For The Attack is an album that garnered a whole lot of praise both at the time or release and now.  Or maybe I am missing your point.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 11:29 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
Even though it's not the original lineup, but a new album after they reformed, Heathen's The Evolution of Chaos is a fantastic album!

This is, in my opinion, the greatest modern thrash metal album of all time. It's bewildering that it doesn't get more praise than it does.

I wish they'd get their asses back in the studio, because the wait for a follow-up is killing me.

I'd have to agree that it's criminally underrated and unheard. A powerful album.

Another thrash reunion worth mentioning is Mortal Sin. Psychology of Death is one of my favorite modern thrash albums--and by far their best album. It's far more brutal than, say, Face of Despair, and catchy while maintaining their technical side. And the solos are some of the better for the genre (thrash solos tend to bore me).

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
muckie wrote:
People criticized stuff like 'Back for the Attack' ...

surprised

The song or the album?  Back For The Attack is an album that garnered a whole lot of praise both at the time or release and now.  Or maybe I am missing your point.

Yeah, I'm not getting this either. I was 17 at the time and pretty much can remember the album receiving good praise as well. Granted, the band was in utter turmoil around this time, but the album didn't suffer because of it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Back for the Attack received criticism? Wasn't that kind of their peak, and also their most "metal" record?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Back for the Attack isn't necessarily above criticism--a couple of the songs are filler, album goes on for too long IMO--but they certainly went out with a bang with that album. Though I think Under Lock and Key to be their best (a FLAWLESS album), BftA is certainly deserving of accolades. I don't believe it received a terrible amount of negative word (unless you're talking about the douchebags at Rolling Stones F*ck them F*ck them F*ck those c*nt rippers).
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Though I think Under Lock and Key to be their best (a FLAWLESS album),

hahahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Best
Exodus, tempo of the damped
Judas priest, angel of retribution
Megadeth, the system has failed
Artillery, back
Van halen, a different kind of truth

Worst
Heaven and hell, the devil you know
Iron maiden, brave new world
Anthrax, worship music
Cynic, traced in air
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 5:28 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Though I think Under Lock and Key to be their best (a FLAWLESS album)

surprised

insane
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Oh come now. Name one bad or mediocre song on ULaK. Razz
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I thought people criticized BftA because it was supposedly 'too commercial'.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 7:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Slippin' Away
Will The Sun Rise ?

That said ,it's still a good listen but hardly flawless
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I think Will The Sun Rise is one of the best songs on that album actually.  

Under Lock And Key was a lot more polished and commercial than Tooth And Nail but honestly I think it fits the sound of the band better.  

I don't really remember any backlash about Back For The Attack, but I wasn't listening to much mainstream metal by that point so I wasn't paying a lot of attention either.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:32 pm

007 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Slippin' Away
Will The Sun Rise ?

That said ,it's still a good listen but hardly flawless

Yeah, "Slippin' Away" is pretty bad. I thought I hated "Will the Sun Rise" as much, but I just listened to it and it wasn't as bad as I thought I remembered it. It still would rank 9th favorite on the album, but Slippin Away would be a distant 10th.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:44 pm

I wouldn't say "Under Lock and Key" is flawless due to Jaded Heart, but it's my favorite Dokken album and cemented them as one of my all time favorite bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 9:25 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I wouldn't say "Under Lock and Key" is flawless due to Jaded Heart, but it's my favorite Dokken album and cemented them as one of my all time favorite bands.

Yeah, that song blows. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 11:00 pm

S.D. wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Yeah, that song blows.  Laughing
I think it's a pretty good song, though Back For the Attack if my favorite Dokken album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 7:32 am

the sentinel wrote:

I'm listening to it right now and it's not my fave Dokken album (Tooth And Nail holds that distinction) but I do like it.

And I forgot about Jaded Heart. Weak song right there too.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 am

Slippin' Away, Jaded Heart, and Will the Sun Rise (especially) are all terrific numbers to me. I still find myself humming Jaded Heart. A solid anthemic power ballad. But that's just me.

Tooth and Nail is solid but I find it a bit more primitive i.e. hollow mix, overly simple construction. Plus Bullets to Spare is the cheesiest they ever got haha. But damn if Alone Again isn't a perfect ballad.

Anyway, getting back on topic, Dysfunctional was a weird-ass record. Laughing
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 9:42 am

Will the new Metallica record be considered a reunion album?  lol! The reunion part will be reintroducing them to a studio. Hell, it will have been 8 (Yes eight) years since their last record!
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am

I just fired up Under Lock and Key.

I haven't listened to any Dokken albums (of which there are only 4 as far as I'm concerned) in a long time. Without any fresh listens, my choice for favorite would be Breaking the Chains. I'll probably listen to them all today though, unless I get bored and switch to something else. I feel like Back for the Attack was maybe my least favorite, though I did enjoy it still. Different style a bit, but Don Dokken's solo album from 1990 smoked as well. I didn't discover that until a few years ago. It's so good.

As for favorite reunion albums, I definitely agree with the Exodus Tempo of the Damned mention. I was so into that record when it came out. The anger of that album did more for mid-20s me than it does mid to late-30s me, but I will still attempt to bang my head whenever I hear "Shroud of Urine".

I'd also number Psycho Circus as a favorite. I really enjoy that album...there are certainly a few less than stellar tracks, as with most KISS albums. And usually those less than tunes have Demon vocals (there are maybe 5 songs in their catalog that I feel benefit from Simmons' voice).

I can't think of any that I flat-out hated. This would be more of a comeback record than a reunion, since it's not a band, but Lita Ford's Wicked Wonderland was very disappointing. I guess there were so many strong records coming out at that time from similar artists that I expected hers to rock pretty hard. It did not.

What I heard of Faith No More's Sol Invictus I was not that into...I probably didn't give it a proper chance. But maybe their style, or anti-style is just not my thing any more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reunion albums: best and worst?   Reunion albums: best and worst? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reunion albums: best and worst?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next