Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst live albums

Go down 
+18
Temple of Blood
candlemass
scottmitchell74
TrogDawn
thejokeriv
SAHB Healer
KissinMaiden
the sentinel
ensiferum2k
spiritoradio
krokus
ultmetal
caniplaywithmadness?
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
mc666
kmorg
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 5:34 am

Listening to Queensrÿche's The Art Of Live album made me think of this topic. Why would any band deliberatly release a bad live album? Well, nevertheless, they do exist, and my example is one of them.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 5:57 am

i don't care for many live albums at all. in fact, i can only name 3 or 4 that are worth anything to me at all.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 am

mc666 wrote:
i don't care for many live albums at all. in fact, i can only name 3 or 4 that are worth anything to me at all.

Ditto.
Although if I had to pick a "least favorite" I'd have to say Judas Priest's 98 LIVE MELTDOWN. I'm not exactly sure what went on with that album, but it sounds to me like the Priest guys down-tuned their instruments to match the "brutal" tone of the JUGULATOR album, but then that made all the non-JUGULATOR material sound out of tune. None of the classic tracks sound quite "right." I've tried to get past it cuz Ripper's vocals on that album are amazing, but I just can't!!!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:34 am

Any of those Extended Versions collections.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 7:39 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

I hear you! But they are mostly crappy because 99% of the material has alreay been releases before.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:26 am

mc666 wrote:

yeah me too. i like 70s live albums when they'd jam the song out to 10 minutes but generally i'll listen to the studio albums
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 am

Love live albums. I like the energy that they have that studio albums lack. This is especially true of bands from the 60's and 70's. Some of my favorite albums are live albums. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo, Peter Frampton - Comes Alive, UFO - Strangers in the Night, Kiss - Alive, Angel - Live Without A Net, Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, etc. All great albums.

Some of the Extended Version CDs aren't bad. They are meant to be budget CDs meant for 30 and 40-somthings longing for some bands from their youth that they stopped listening to in the 1980's. They usually sell for around $5. As such, they aren't so bad.

Worst live albums?
Death Angel - Fall From Grace
Helstar-Twas The Night of a Helish Xmas
Nuclear Assault-Live at the Hammersmith Odeon
Recon-Live at Cornerstone 2001
Guardian-Live at Cornerstone 2001
Barren Cross- Hotter than Hell! Live

Thing is, I love all these bands, but these live albums are not a good representation of any of them. The Death Angel and Helstar albums sound like bad bootlegs.

The Recon needed some overdubs to fix the bad vocal performance. Apparently the stage monitors were not working properly and to sing that high falsetto style, you really need to hear yourself. Regardless, the record company should have given the band a few hundred bucks to fix the vocals in the studio.

The Guardian one is just disappointing. They were playing on Metal Retro Night at Cornerstone. Most of the bands that played that night reached back into their catalogs and played some heavy stuff. Guardian played mostly their alterna-crap stuff. They also made fun of Twisted Sister...GRRR!!!

The Barren Cross CD just isn't a good representation of the band. I've seen them live and they are far better than that CD lets on. This was the last show of a long tour and the band was probably just tired, at least that's the way it sounds.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 10:58 am

Like Ultmetal, i love live albums too. Some bad ones for me would be:
MANOWAR:HELL ON WHEELS LIVE
MANOWAR:HELL ON STAGE LIVE
ACCEPT:ALL AREAS WORLDWIDE
HELLOWEEN:HIGH LIVE
WASP:DOUBLE LIVE ASSASSINS.
Those are the ones i remember right now. Some of my fave are:
THOR:LIVE IN DETROIT
BLUE OYSTER CULT:SOME ENCHANTED EVENING
WASP:LIVE...IN THE RAW
IRON MAIDEN:LIVE AFTER DEATH
SCORPIONS:WORLD WIDE LIVE
ETC......
Back to top Go down

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 1:07 pm

ultmetal wrote:
The first album that popped into my mind. It sounds like it was recorded to a cassette recorder in the middle of the pit. Horrible.

I actually thought the Barren Cross live album was good. Of course, I just heard the band for the first time like a month ago, but to my noob ears they sound aight! And now way is Helloween's High Live a bad live album. No way.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
The first album that popped into my mind. It sounds like it was recorded to a cassette recorder in the middle of the pit. Horrible.

I actually thought the Barren Cross live album was good. Of course, I just heard the band for the first time like a month ago, but to my noob ears they sound aight! And now way is Helloween's High Live a bad live album. No way.

Yup, can't believe Metal Blade released it.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
(How The West Was Won is so much of a better live disc)

Van Halen - Live: Right Here, Right Now
(I'm sure if Dave sticks around for this tour there will be a live album made of the reunion)

Black Sabbath - Live At Last
(I love it but the sound just sucks)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 1:57 pm

In flames - tokyo showdown
satan - live in the act
witchfinder general - live
whiplash - their live cd
< All live bonus songs from reissues >

If a band has really ancient material or the band isn't popular. good chances are they're live albums aren't going to be any good. however, if the band can afford good production, it should be worth checking out

Last edited by on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:

AMEN to that, brother!!! Those things are absolutely awful sick
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 2:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Death Angel - Fall From Grace

Nuclear Assault-Live at the Hammersmith Odeon

these are just terrible
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39514

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

I don't like live albums at all. Besides the KISS Alives , I think I have 1 other live album (Overkill's Wrecking Your Neck Live)
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:54 pm

I like live albums when I'm in a certain mood; but I hate it when they mix live and studio tracks. Totally ruins it for me when they do that; and live "bonus cuts" on classic studio CD's are almost always crap.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 7:58 pm

I like some lives albums (Kiss - all alives, Iron Maiden - Live After Death, Judas priest - Unleashed In The East)

Some are really bad - Barren Cross' Hotter Than Hell is a really bad live album - like Ult, theywere much better when I saw them in concert
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 8:19 pm

This one blows: sick

Worst live albums Live17
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Quote :
i don't care for many live albums at all.

Agreed.....

The only one I really care for at all is Live After Death....

I can't think of any others that do anything for me....
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Unleashed in the east is probably my favorite priest album. The maiden one is good too, so is KISS. The overkill live album is excellent playing their songs twice as fast!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 8:02 am

I mostly listen to Live Albums or downloas bootlegs if they change singers.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I don't get some of you people, the live show is what rock and metal is all about, so much of the music can be sterile in the studio, live is where it comes alive! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I personally tend to LOVE live albums - especially from the 70's when they were usually able to better the studio recordings - which is why when I hear a BAD one, particularly from that era, it sounds REALLY bad to me. Suspect

Live albums from the late 80's to the present have not usually blown me away all that much because they have tended to pale in comparison to what bands can do in the studio with modern tech. HALFORD's Live Insurrection is the only contemporary live album I've heard in years that has impressed me at all.

Last edited by on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:28 pm

In person, sure....but I want the perfect, clean, tight sound of studio music on CD....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 pm

candlemass wrote:
I don't get some of you people, the live show is what rock and metal is all about, so much of the music can be sterile in the studio, live is where it comes alive! 🤘

I agree.

I'd be curious to know. I'll bet most of the people here who like live albums are fans of the 70's era stuff and grew up with the live album trend of the 70's. Those that are not fans are probably fans that came out of the 80's and 90's when live albums were as revered.

ult
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Worst live albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst live albums   Worst live albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst live albums
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: