Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and worst era of metal?

Go down 
+40
TheUnborn
Thrasher73
Required Fields
mikeinfla
Gilbert
sovdat
Hadley
Runicen
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
mc666
Laplander
Sword Of The Heretic
chewie
DallasBlack
ze_mau
Vexer6
ultmetal
Mglaffas81
manny
corplhicks
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
AutumnShantel
TheGreatDuck
Lovecraft
Glower
Temple of Blood
Lari
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Short-Fuse
MetalGuy71
BearOnUnicycle
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
joe_metal
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am

ultmetal wrote:
So what happened to the person who started this thread? Troll  

growl < Ugh, you like Phil Collins, you are not metal! Ugh! Ugh! You call Aerosmith metal! You are a poser! You know nothing about metal! Ugh! Ugh!

Dunno but he belongs on the Hall Of Shame. It's been a while since you've updated it, poser!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Not a bad idea actually! :-p

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Well, he succeeded in getting us arguing so he was at least an accomplished troll. don\'t know 
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 pm

I saw he got banned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm sure he'll come back under a different name.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 am

007 wrote:

They usually do.Just like a bad case of crabs! Haha!
Back to top Go down
TheUnborn
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 am

joe_metal wrote:
In my opinion:
'70s - the classical age of metal, not many metal bands, but it had Sabbath, the greatest metal innovators in history, and for them alone, it's why I respect this era
'80s - the dark ages of metal: everyone looked like dragqueens, had cheesy and childish videos and lyrics, and were all around just embarrassing for metal. Everyone seems to have been obsessed with just shredding as fast as they could (Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai...), while their songs lacked any real depth and soul; tons of generic bands whom you can't differentiate from one another if your life depended on it, "metal" bands that were basically just pop with guitars (Bon Jovi, WASP, Twisted Sister, Skid Row...), mysoginy and sexism in the lyrics, hell even the masters Black Sabbath got that Dio guy and basically became just another generic '80s metal band, losing everything that made them so great in the '70s; everyone seems to also have had those annoying screaming vocals
basically, the '80s metal can be divided into three categories: cheesy pop-"metal" for 12 year old girls, wannabe-tough satanic crap for 12 year olds and cheesy fantasy dungeons and dragons bands.
Thankfully, then came...
'90s and on - the rennaissance of metal:
After a terrible decade for music that was the '80s, a refreshing wave of young revolutionary bands came out and restored metal to its former glory; while Nirvana and the rest of the grunge movement did us all a favor and wiped out all the crappy hair metal shit for good, bands such as Faith No More, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Whtie Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Machine Head, Morbid Angel, Cynic, Mayhem, Death, Atheist, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Korn, Rammstein, Meshuggah and Opeth, just to name a few, infused the genre with new energy and successfully brought it back, giving us tons of great music; later on, other great bands such as Animals as Leaders, As I Lay Dying, Dillinger Escape plan arrived to continue the work of these bands. Unfortunately, this era is also plagued by cheesy  d 'n' d power metal (Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica) and masturbatory prog metal (like Dream Theater and their clones), but fortunately, it's by far outweighted by the good stuff

What's your opinion?

My opinion is that it differs greatly from yours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbornProductions.com/
JoeMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
JoeMetal

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Personally, I think Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Rammstein and Marylin Manson suck. And though I can respect the musicianship, I can't get into As I Lay Dying or Dillinger Escape Plan. I do like White Chapel, Meshuggah, Born Of Osiris and a little Winds Of Plague, though. I love Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Opeth, & Death too.

The 80s had much better stuff than what you listed. Helstar, Watchtower, Metal Church, Accept, Agent Steel, Abbatoir, Trouble, Candlemass, Armored Saint, Chastain, Jag Panzer, Lizzy Borden, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Sanctuary, Riot, Slayer...many more. You just had to know where to look.

And Black Sabbath w/ Dio is some of the greatest Heavy Metal ever made.

corplhicks wrote:
I also laugh at how he said "that Dio guy." Total reverence and respect right there.

And yes, he is ignoring thrash, USPM, and NWOBHM.

ultmetal wrote:
I found stuff I liked in every era, even the musically depressed 1990s.

I'm shocked that any metal fan would say the 80's was the worst era. Sure there was the overly girly stuff of the 80's, but there was a TON of great music as well. In fact, even some of the bands that looked like girls had some great music. I guess if you weren't there you can never understand it.

My favorite era is probably the 70's and early 80's. The metal that was coming out then is timeless to me and I still frequent it regularly. I mean, a song like Nobody's Fault in 1976 blew us all away! There was UFO, Sabbath, Priest, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc. These bands were the heavy bands but none of them sounded like the other. They had personality and they were not confined to having to stay in a little box. They had unique vocalists who didn't all sound the same.

Then there was the New Wave of Heavy Metal that hit in the late 70's and early 1980's! That stuff just ruled! Riot, Raven, Anvil, Venom, Tygers of Pan Tang, Twisted Sister, Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Exciter, Dio...the list goes on and on. Nothing seemed heavier and the scene wasn't as fragmented as it is now. Metalheads didn't argue over who was and who isn't metal, and they certainly didn't disrespect the bands who gave way to the New Wave of Heavy Metal. That doesn't even include the fact that speed and thrash metal was born in the early 80's.

Of course we all know it would only get heavier and heavier. I remember when Napalm Death's "Scum" was released. I heard it for the first time and said to my room mate at the time, "if they get any faster it's going to just be one continuous noise".

Lol I havent even heard of most of those bands you mentioned. And you should know that if an older band is forgotten by now, most likely it is rightfully so, as their music is boring, subpar and generic and the only thing it deserves is to be forgotten. Also, I did include thrash, NWOBHM, and USPM here. The thing with those genres is, every band sounds like the other - youve heard one, you heard them all. Generic riffing, arrogant and narcissistic guitar wankers trying to impress people with their senseless guitar wankery, over the top vocalists who sing some crap about satan or dragons like it is the most important thing ever...I guess it might have sounded good to someone who was an unexperienced teenager and didnt know of anything better (even though I would find that strange), but now we have tons of better new music. Metal has evolved since, and there is no point in listening to old cheesy metal bands singing about satan and dragons when there are so many new bands that are actually good and are making quality music. I cant believe someone would ever listen to cheesy masturbatory garbage like Manowar or Fates Warning over quality bands such as Meshuggah or Tool. I understand it might have been the music that led you to appreciating metal, but lets face it - I dont understand how anyone over twelve can be impressed by those stupid and meaningless dnd lyrics and pointless, senseless soloing thats there just to show off the guitarists "talent", insulting the listener's intelligence in process. Its music you should have grown out of long ago.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 6:56 pm

JoeMetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Personally, I think Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Rammstein and Marylin Manson suck. And though I can respect the musicianship, I can't get into As I Lay Dying or Dillinger Escape Plan. I do like White Chapel, Meshuggah, Born Of Osiris and a little Winds Of Plague, though. I love Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Opeth, & Death too.

The 80s had much better stuff than what you listed. Helstar, Watchtower, Metal Church, Accept, Agent Steel, Abbatoir, Trouble, Candlemass, Armored Saint, Chastain, Jag Panzer, Lizzy Borden, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Sanctuary, Riot, Slayer...many more. You just had to know where to look.

And Black Sabbath w/ Dio is some of the greatest Heavy Metal ever made.

corplhicks wrote:
I also laugh at how he said "that Dio guy." Total reverence and respect right there.

And yes, he is ignoring thrash, USPM, and NWOBHM.

ultmetal wrote:
I found stuff I liked in every era, even the musically depressed 1990s.

I'm shocked that any metal fan would say the 80's was the worst era. Sure there was the overly girly stuff of the 80's, but there was a TON of great music as well. In fact, even some of the bands that looked like girls had some great music. I guess if you weren't there you can never understand it.

My favorite era is probably the 70's and early 80's. The metal that was coming out then is timeless to me and I still frequent it regularly. I mean, a song like Nobody's Fault in 1976 blew us all away! There was UFO, Sabbath, Priest, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc. These bands were the heavy bands but none of them sounded like the other. They had personality and they were not confined to having to stay in a little box. They had unique vocalists who didn't all sound the same.

Then there was the New Wave of Heavy Metal that hit in the late 70's and early 1980's! That stuff just ruled! Riot, Raven, Anvil, Venom, Tygers of Pan Tang, Twisted Sister, Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Exciter, Dio...the list goes on and on. Nothing seemed heavier and the scene wasn't as fragmented as it is now. Metalheads didn't argue over who was and who isn't metal, and they certainly didn't disrespect the bands who gave way to the New Wave of Heavy Metal. That doesn't even include the fact that speed and thrash metal was born in the early 80's.

Of course we all know it would only get heavier and heavier. I remember when Napalm Death's "Scum" was released. I heard it for the first time and said to my room mate at the time, "if they get any faster it's going to just be one continuous noise".

Lol I havent even heard of most of those bands you mentioned. And you should know that if an older band is forgotten by now, most likely it is rightfully so, as their music is boring, subpar and generic and the only thing it deserves is to be forgotten. Also, I did include thrash, NWOBHM, and USPM here. The thing with those genres is, every band sounds like the other - youve heard one, you heard them all. Generic riffing, arrogant and narcissistic guitar wankers trying to impress people with their senseless guitar wankery, over the top vocalists who sing some crap about satan or dragons like it is the most important thing ever...I guess it might have sounded good to someone who was an unexperienced teenager and didnt know of anything better (even though I would find that strange), but now we have tons of better new music. Metal has evolved since, and there is no point in listening to old cheesy metal bands singing about satan and dragons when there are so many new bands that are actually good and are making quality music. I cant believe someone would ever listen to cheesy masturbatory garbage like Manowar or Fates Warning over quality bands such as Meshuggah or Tool. I understand it might have been the music that led you to appreciating metal, but lets face it - I dont understand how anyone over twelve can be impressed by those stupid and meaningless dnd lyrics and pointless, senseless soloing thats there just to show off the guitarists "talent", insulting the listener's intelligence in process. Its music you should have grown out of long ago.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Funny-jackass-donkey-grinning-ass-goofy-animal-picture Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Sequoia_National_Park_-_Mortar_hole_near_Hospital_Rock
Back to top Go down
JoeMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
JoeMetal

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 7:19 pm

I don,∞t understand the last two posts....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
007 wrote:

They usually do.Just like a bad case of crabs! Haha!

but will he delete his old posts and leave the dreaded ...

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 pm

JoeMetal wrote:
I don,∞t understand the last two posts....

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 1106514-cool_story_bro_super
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 pm

I LOVE cheese, I LOVE the 80s, and I LOVE 80s metal!!!!!!!! headbanger  headbanger  headbanger  headbanger  headbanger  headbanger  headbanger 

If that makes me an immature child than I'm proud to be an immature child!  Cool 

And if I am and you don't like 80s metal, then:

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 19976 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 19976 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 19976 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 19976 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 19976 
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 pm

lame Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 706602 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 627712

Ding dong the troll is gone!

Thanks for the good times and the friendly, insightful, intelligent discussions. We'll miss ya.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 11:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
lame Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 706602 Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 627712

Ding dong the troll is gone!

Thanks for the good times and the friendly, insightful, intelligent discussions. We'll miss ya.

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 25679 cheers 
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 am

Shocked  What a Face very happy :cheese: Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 25679  happy  birthday
Back to top Go down
TheseGoTo11
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheseGoTo11

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 am

Runicen wrote:
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that, before he went all shoegaze, Corgan was a huge shred-head as a guitarist.

Last edited by TheseGoTo11 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 am

Anyone else unsettled by the fact that, while we just inadvertently discovered that HoM is at least partially under a bridge from the recent troll-splosion, there are people who seriously believe that crap?

I'd love to know when just having fun and enjoying something became "beneath" people.

My fondest musical memory? Giggling like a @#$#ing idiot while blasting "The Breakfast Machine" from Pee Wee's Big Adventure after picking up a Best of Danny Elfman. Nothing to read in to there. It was just stupid fun. 100%
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 am

JoeMetal wrote:
lets face it - I dont understand

Exactly.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 pm

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Boris, you're right, they are punk, but Kurt went all over the wall with each album. Sometimes he was Neil Young, then he was Velvet Underground, then he was Kyuss lite (yes, duck, there were many moments of stoner rock, even if it did lack a bottom end). But I'd agree with the primary punk influence.

Also should be mentioned that STP's Core is f*cking metal up and down. That disc was a scorcher.

I don't think STP were ever really a Grunge band.  I think they were a straight up rock band that gut lumped in with that genre.  

And got progressively worse with each release as far as I'm concerned. But Core is fantastic (except for the goofy Wet My Bed).

I have every one of STP's albums and, yeah, they get quite horrible as they move along--except for Purple. Less metal and more Zep-Beatles overdrive, that has some seriously inspired tunes on it. Certainly their defining moment and one the greatest albums of the 90's for me. Too bad the lead off single, Vasoline, was one of the lesser tracks, however.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Best era for metal was the 80's because it was developing and molding itself into a force. The start of death metal, thrash finding its place, doom coming into popularity, beginnings of black metal, and more. The classic of classic albums were released then and if it weren't for that time period, 99% of us would not even be into metal.

The worst era was the 90's. Pantera and all their clones gained popularity and really metal went so far underground and was able to redeem itself but a lot of the bands were really lacking the heart and soul metal was known for unless you were into the underground.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Quote :
Nu metal isn't metal, nevermind how good or bad it may be. It takes more than just loud guitars to be metal. Nu metal has more in common hardcore and alternative rock than metal.

I´d agree with it considering "typical" Nu Metal bands like Coal Chamber , Deftones , P.O.D. , Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach. some Nu Metal bands has a little more "metal" on the composition of the music like ( IMPO ) Korn.

But Nu-Metal is for me actually a mixture of NY Hardcore , Rap and Industrial on different proportions depending on the band you´re talking about. The only ones I can say I actually like some songs are SOAD and Korn.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm

Look, it wasn't until the Iron Age that metal started to hit its decline. Everything that seemed so fresh and new during the Bronze Age had become tapped out old hat. People were just using the new production methods to redress the old material and it was shameful.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Best era for metal was the 80's because it was developing and molding itself into a force. The start of death metal, thrash finding its place, doom coming into popularity, beginnings of black metal, and more. The classic of classic albums were released then and if it weren't for that time period, 99% of us would not even be into metal.

Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Securedownload-9
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and worst era of metal?   Best and worst era of metal? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and worst era of metal?
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next