Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater (New Single)

Go down 
+10
EmoElmo
Shawn Of Fire
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
corplhicks
MetalRob331
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 pm

This album impressed me (having low expectations helps) and Illumination Theory gave me goosebumps.. Best DT song Ive heard in a very long time. A lot of Rush influence on this album as well

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Song three's opening is totally a Rush rip off.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Song three's opening is totally a Rush rip off.
It's also one of the highlights of the album and Petrucci's solo on that song is one of his best in a LONG time..
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm not hating this. Not sure if i'll listen much but it might be a buy.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I'm not hating this. Not sure if i'll listen much but it might be a buy.
Maybe the last track will change your mind.  That song alone IMO is worth the purchase Laughing very hard

It's 22mins heck that's about as long as a Linkin Park album Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:38 pm

I listened to it earlier - sounds good to me, but not as good as the last album. I'll have more of an opinion after I listen to it at home on CD and let it sink in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I'll wait and see if they release an instrumental mix like they did with the last album, any chance I have of removing LaBrie completely I'll take it! Razz 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'll wait and see if they release an instrumental mix like they did with the last album, any chance I have of removing LaBrie completely I'll take it!  Razz 
Funny is my fav song on the album is 22mins and 17 of it is prolly just music and that's what makes it perfect...
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

already lsitening, hearing is good.
got some Steve Vai vibes, James sounds relaxed, afte rone listening its just good, gonna spin it more times than one... and we will see.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm shocked. f*cking stunned.

Here's the thing. The two lead-off singles that were released do not belong on this album, as they are the two weakest and most generic tracks out of the bunch. Everything else...well, I'm gonna say it after one listen, but...this is their best work since SFAM. That's how surprised and unexpectedly great this is. Lots of atmospheric turns, surprising cues, time sig grab bags, more melody in the solos, and not nearly as metal as they've been trying to be. The last track is a ballbuster epic full of intricate riffing and meticulous passage weaving. Other surprises: Labrie's voice actually sounds decent, catchy choruses actually have distinct, original melodies, Mike's drum work feels very fresh, and none of the songs, except for the aforementioned two, have pop sensibility. This is the progressive metal I grew up with in the mid-90's, and it's badass.

In other words, I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm shocked. f*cking stunned.

Here's the thing. The two lead-off singles that were released do not belong on this album, as they are the two weakest and most generic tracks out of the bunch. Everything else...well, I'm gonna say it after one listen, but...this is their best work since SFAM. That's how surprised and unexpectedly great this is. Lots of atmospheric turns, surprising cues, time sig grab bags, more melody in the solos, and not nearly as metal as they've been trying to be. The last track is a ballbuster epic full of intricate riffing and meticulous passage weaving. Other surprises: Labrie's voice actually sounds decent, catchy choruses actually have distinct, original melodies, Mike's drum work feels very fresh, and none of the songs, except for the aforementioned two, have pop sensibility. This is the progressive metal I grew up with in the mid-90's, and it's badass.

In other words, I stand corrected.
+1000000000000000 I went into this album after hearing the two tracks they released with no expectations. What I got was a very Dream Theater album you could possibly put with their best material IMO. Petrucci really stepped up his game with his riffing and soloing and this will prolly make my top 10 of the year...
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 am

Never heard Petrucci this melodic since...well, forfreakingever headbanger 
VERY GOOD album!!!

and it gets even stronger after repeated listens

Easily their best since Awake

8.5/10

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:25 am

guhhhbbbb. Well, I guess I'll check it out now. Razz 
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 am

Outside of the two singles, there is a lot of Alex Lifeson style rhythm playing on this album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 pm

I listened to the first few songs, it's okay, but I doubt I would listen to it enough to justify buying it. I still have issues with their overall approach and LaBrie still annoys me to no end.

The intro of The Looking Glass made me realize, "hmmm, I think I'd rather listen to a Rush album right now instead".

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 12:48 am

So a review of the album from Loudwire is up. Don't know much about this site, but here's a snippet, which tells us, really, nothing at all:

Quote :
The first introductory strains of the “False Awakening Suite,” which kick off Dream Theater‘s new self-titled album (due Sept. 24) seems to actually transport the listener into a theater. Images come to mind of the lights going down in some wildly ornate medieval house of drama, the orchestra has signaled the overture, and it is time for the massive sweep of something liberating, powerful and profound to roll forth.
Who the F*ck writes up horrid hyperbolic shit like this? The rest of the review can be found here and it gets worse as it goes on, dripping with overly enthusiastic verbosity. I get the feeling that Loudwire just a hype zine to promote bands in all sorts of terrible ways i.e. cage matches??

Here's my review: good shit, suffers at times, both lead-off singles need to go, better than previous releases.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Loudwire is a great place to go for a good laugh Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

So I found the three disc Black Clouds album used today for very cheap, had some store credit so I bought it. Have to say, The Count of Tuscany is a killer tune. Maybe I didn't give this one enough of a chance. And I dug out Train of Thought and thoroughly enjoyed it. That's four albums now by them i'm enjoying.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
So I found the three disc Black Clouds album used today for very cheap, had some store credit so I bought it. Have to say, The Count of Tuscany is a killer tune. Maybe I didn't give this one enough of a chance. And I dug out Train of Thought and thoroughly enjoyed it. That's four albums now by them i'm enjoying.
The Count of Tuscany was the best track on that album because of its retro, epic vibe, but still showcased nothing new or inspiring, just like the rest of that awful, cannibalistic, derivative sleeping pill.

Sorry. I think I really hate that album lol.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 am

I had written off everything for the most part since ToT but for some reason, i'm liking BC&SL.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 am

'Octavarium' is that album for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater (New Single)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3