Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater (New Single)

Go down 
+10
EmoElmo
Shawn Of Fire
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
corplhicks
MetalRob331
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dream Theater (New Single)  Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/04/dream-theater-enemy-inside-premiere/2613895/

First Impressions...I thought Dave Mustaine was singing at first haha... Killer song and love the atmosphere and hooks... Great groove and killer musicianship (which is always expected)

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for posting this. I had heard it was going to be up today but I forgot where. Glad to see USA Today representing.

Just heard it, and I'm naturally gonna be picky with this, but..this is an extremely straight-forward song. Intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solos (short, too)-chorus-abrupt ending, all with very little variation or signature changes and some extremely melodic couplings. But that doesn't make it a bad thing--it just sounds really generic, and there's all sorts of self-cannibalization going on (is anyone else getting tired of Rudess getting down with his ragtime self?). There's just not a lot to it. It was very accessible, listenable, but not prog. Kind of weird.

I'm hoping it's the odd man out, being a radio single, which is where DT usually falters for me (Lie was the only track I didn't care for on the masterpiece Awake). Hopefully the other tracks are more prog-oriented and a little more inspired.

This band is starting to sound tired IMO. Except for Mike.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I had heard it was going to be up today but I forgot where. Glad to see USA Today representing.

Just heard it, and I'm naturally gonna be picky with this, but..this is an extremely straight-forward song. Intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solos (short, too)-chorus-abrupt ending, all with very little variation or signature changes and some extremely melodic couplings. But that doesn't make it a bad thing--it just sounds really generic, and there's all sorts of self-cannibalization going on (is anyone else getting tired of Rudess getting down with his ragtime self?). There's just not a lot to it. It was very accessible, listenable, but not prog. Kind of weird.

I'm hoping it's the odd man out, being a radio single, which is where DT usually falters for me (Lie was the only track I didn't care for on the masterpiece Awake). Hopefully the other tracks are more prog-oriented and a little more inspired.

I thought it sounded like Dream Theater.... Prog isn't always about signature changes and doodling.. What makes DT so great is they have a more METAL edge to them.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:17 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I thought it sounded like Dream Theater.... Prog isn't always about signature changes and doodling.. What makes DT so great is they have a more METAL edge to them.

I never said it didn't sound like them. In fact I said there was a lot of self-cannibalization going on. As with Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Systematic Chaos, this song sounds like a bunch of Rudess-era DT riffs squished into one.

And I don't have a problem with the lack of complexity either. I just think they do better with a challenging song than a radio-friendly one.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 2:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I never said it didn't sound like them. In fact I said there was a lot of self-cannibalization going on. As with Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Systematic Chaos, this song sounds like a bunch of Rudess-era DT riffs squished into one.

And I don't have a problem with the lack of complexity either. I just think they do better with a challenging song than a radio-friendly one.

Sure, I think being it's the first single they wanted a more accessible song.. I prefer the heavier more simpler side of Dt. Songs like As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, Forsaken, The Dark Eternal Night, This Dying Soul, Burning my Soul, Glass Prison, Pull Me Under, Peruvian Skies...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 pm

I love most of those too, but I wouldn't call all of them simple. All I'm saying is I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. It seems with every DT release there's one radio song and the rest NSFR Laughing . The radio songs never sound very strong to me for various reasons. Has nothing to do with the lack of complexity. They just sound kind of...meh.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:43 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I love most of those too, but I wouldn't call all of them simple. All I'm saying is I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. It seems with every DT release there's one radio song and the rest NSFR Laughing . The radio songs never sound very strong to me for various reasons. Has nothing to do with the lack of complexity. They just sound kind of...meh.

from 3 47 on IM IN HEAVEN!!!

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:49 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

from 3 47 on IM IN HEAVEN!!!

Lord I love that track. My wife and I bust that one out together all the time. DT is the one time I can enjoy metal with my wife.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

you guys need to get a room or something......

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm

James B. wrote:

Lol I've been wondering why Rob and I are the only two discussing this.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:58 pm

corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:

This is a band that I have really tried to get into. They are talented players but fail at something that I can't seem to put a finger on.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:

Cuz we headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

James B. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
James B. wrote:

This is a band that I have really tried to get into.  They are talented players but fail at something that I can't seem to put a finger on.

For a while they've been failing at originality. You should check out the recent thread on them, it's an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Shold I try to listen to the single when I generally hate everything this band do, and like James Labrie solo work a lot? Soundcloud doesn't seem to work with my Firefox. I check their stuff from time to see if it finally sinks in and as a result their music annoys me even more. Will not give up though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Shold I try to listen to the single when I generally hate everything this band do, and like James Labrie solo work a lot? Soundcloud doesn't seem to work with my Firefox. I check their stuff from time to see if it finally sinks in and as a result their music annoys me even more. Will not give up though Very Happy

I think if you like Labrie's stuff, this will appeal to you, but Petrucci is recycling riffs sooo...yeah. Scenes from a Memory is a good investment if you can spare the time for the entire album. It's transcendent, really. So is Awake, as I always say.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 pm

corplhicks wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I think if you like Labrie's stuff, this will appeal to you, but Petrucci is recycling riffs sooo...yeah. Scenes from a Memory is a good investment if you can spare the time for the entire album. It's transcendent, really. So is Awake, as I always say.

So far I've tried first three and various other tracks youtube recommended me. And while WDaDU is a very enjoyable listen and IaW is sorta good, with other albums and songs, when the keyboards strike and that big, pompous, major sounds come in, this trademark prog approach which ruined the whole style for me basically, I start to hate them with passion. I love prog metal, but done in a different way. Still, thanks for the reccomendation, as I'll definitely check Scenes again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Sound sounds good to me - look forward to hearing the whole album. Sounds like they are picking up where they left off with the last album.....
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Well, I like the jitter of the different signatures and times meshed up at the beginning and peppered throughout the song. Makes me think of something like WatchTower, or maybe Twisted Into Form, and that's never a bad thing, DT seems natural at it, moreso than the 'shred' stuff they typically pull.

This is a pretty good song. James is a little phoned in. Hearing Mangani's personality more which is good.

I agree Jordan doesn't know what to do with a patch.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 pm

I think the new song is surprisingly great. I wish it rocked more but this is one is one of the few post-Moore songs where I feel like the keys blend well with the rest of the band.

Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 am

now this is real music i expect from DT !
man damn good... like it so much.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:16 am

This new song is not straightforward..."Take Away My Pain" or "Another Day" or "You Not Me" are straightforward. This new song has plenty of acrobatics.

As for self-cannibalizing, DT has a sound...they do what they do.

That said, this is IMO the best new DT songs I have heard in a long time. IMO Rudess has always been a poor fit, but he blends in well on this one.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am

It's Dream Theater is the best comment I can come up with when listening to this song....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:24 am

One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs. For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

S.D. wrote:
One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs.  For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.

I think with most guitar players who write, it's hard to come up with a riff behind vocal melodies.. I have that same problem a lot of times. That's also why you see a lot of bands slow it down once the singing starts...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

S.D. wrote:
One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs.  For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.

Petrucci went to a Pantera concert one day and thought it was the future. I guess. Or something.

Of course there's a reason why I like literally every other progressive metal band on the planet more than Dream Theater, not taking away from the records of theirs I do like..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater (New Single)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: