Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater (New Single)

Go down 
+10
EmoElmo
Shawn Of Fire
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
corplhicks
MetalRob331
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
S.D. wrote:
One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs.  For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.

Petrucci went to a Pantera concert one day and thought it was the future. I guess. Or something.

Of course there's a reason why I like literally every other progressive metal band on the planet more than Dream Theater, not taking away from the records of theirs I do like..

Good choice of concert headbanger  Im pretty sure a lot of people would kill to have Dime's genius on guitar Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

No comment. Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs.  For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.

This is actually what I was talking about. Heard it again today. No change in opinion.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 pm

SD, they need to listen to more Black Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 pm

James LaBrie's latest album is a lot better than DT's last release imo.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 am

S.D. wrote:
One of these days I'd like to hear Dream Theater write a song without the exact same "crunch crunch crunch" style metal riffs. For a band that can play all these amazingly technical things you'd think they'd be able to manage something else besides power chords for verse sections now and again.
That's the reason that I like them more than most "progressive metal". They tend to maintain a hard focus on the "metal" aspect, rather than just all proggy noodling, all the time.

EmoElmo wrote:
James LaBrie's latest album is a lot better than DT's last release imo.
I agree, as with the last DT & Labrie releases.

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:27 am

mc666 wrote:

That's the reason that I like them more than most "progressive metal". They tend to maintain a hard focus on the "metal" aspect, rather than just all proggy noodling, all the time.

I can totally understand that. I don't have anything against Dream Theater and there are certain songs here and there I dig.  Overall though when seeking out progressive music I gravitate toward stuff that isn't quite as restrictive in structure.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 4:57 am

I happen to like thi strack, so there must be something wrong about it. Also second the Labrie release, its incredible.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 am

I tried to sit down and listen yesterday, but as soon as I did, my pregnant wife called me away. Lol, gotta keep baby momma happy. What I did hear was killer. Genie sounds like he is coming out of his shell.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 pm

SD, they need to listen to more Black Sabbath! wrote:

And King's X. DT lacks heart after the first couple of albums.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 pm

It's not bad.............. NOooooooo!! La Brie is singing that same old melody again!!!!!! From 3:37 to about 4:00..... Just put it away, PLEASE! We've been hearing it since SFAM......

Second listen......... I do dig this song, but that vocal section still bugs me.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Really digging Labrie's solo album... It's streaming here if anyone wants to listen...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/dream_theaters_james_labrie_premieres_new_solo_album.html

I Got You has a killer chorus...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 pm

chewie wrote:
It's not bad.............. NOooooooo!! La Brie is singing that same old melody again!!!!!! From 3:37 to about 4:00.....  Just put it away, PLEASE! We've been hearing it since SFAM......

Second listen......... I do dig this song, but that vocal section still bugs me.

What's up homie ! Ya gonna go check out Winery Dogs at Harlow's ?

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm

James B. wrote:
chewie wrote:
It's not bad.............. NOooooooo!! La Brie is singing that same old melody again!!!!!! From 3:37 to about 4:00.....  Just put it away, PLEASE! We've been hearing it since SFAM......

What's up homie ! Ya gonna go check out Winery Dogs at Harlow's ?

Dude! when is that happenning? It wasn't listed in the last SN&R issue that I read. I'm gonna have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm

http://www.grammy.com/news/grammycom-exclusive-first-listen-dream-theater

New song here and I actually prefer this over the first song they put out.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 4:20 pm

chewie wrote:
We've been hearing it since SFAM......
That's been my problem with DT overall since Jordan joined...

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 pm

A sappy, by the numbers ballad, ready for the radio, up-front and written like a basic anthem. I give up.

If this is the direction the band wants to take, being more conventional methods to broaden recognition, I can understand. But they've lost me completely after waiting several albums for something unique.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 5:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:
A sappy, by the numbers ballad, ready for the radio, up-front and written like a basic anthem. I give up.

If this is the direction the band wants to take, being more conventional methods to broaden recognition, I can understand. But they've lost me completely after waiting several albums for something unique.
I'm sure the album has its moments like past DT albums.. i'm not crossing my fingers though...

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 7:06 pm

It's sort of like listening to Rush.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 pm

FULL ALBUM STREAMING HERE!!!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/dream_theater_entire_new_album_available_for_streaming.html?no_takeover
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Blocked in U.S.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Blocked in U.S.
It's playing fine for me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Hmm, i'll try again.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Now it's working.

Is it me or is the drum sound thin?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Can't say here I've just got laptop speakers at the moment. Wondering if I can stream this on my smartphone for the drive later.

The third track, Looking Glass, is actually blowing me away. As Rob had pointed out to me on Facebook, lots of Rush and a thick, atmospheric midsection. I'm happily surprised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater (New Single)    Dream Theater (New Single)  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater (New Single)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next