Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...

Go down 
+19
tohostudios
journeyman
Citanul
Boris2008
akeldama
mc666
Eyesore
Lari
ultmetal
manny
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
bass63
MetallicSeminarian
MetalRob331
Chrome Locust
MoonChild
Troublezone
corplhicks
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:05 am

Might as well compare Angus Young to Jeff Loomis.  insane

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:12 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Dimebag was up against HEAD from K O R N!!

Does HEAD even solo? No comparison. Even the riffs are night and day...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 am

Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Dimebag was up against HEAD from K O R N!!

Does HEAD even solo? No comparison. Even the riffs are night and day...

Yeah the first word that came to my mind when I had read that was 'disrespect.'
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 12:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
Joe is a better guitarist. Jeff was a better song writer imo.

Satch was never a songwriter IMO... Sure he's wrote some songs but the GUITAR is where he makes his money. Jeff was in a band that structured songs...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 pm

I do think it's worth remembering that Satch was never just a shredder, but an innovator when it came to incorporating melody and virtuosity. In a way he was a songwriter in that he composed in a pop format employing melody for verse and chorus, essentially making his guitar the 'lead vox.' The concept was quite new at the time. This would make him as much a songwriter as Jeff. They're just two entirely different styles.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm

The notion that a "VS" comparison is STUPID is unfair to say. I take a "VS" thread, etc as based on personal preference and to suggest it nullifies musical expression is complete and utter rubbish. With that being said Satch vs Hanneman is not a good one IMO.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Comparison is awkward because Satriani is a so much better guitarist. However, Hannemann's playing was clearly more metal. So when choosing the better metal guitarist, you have a choice to make. What do you value more? Comes down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I do think it's worth remembering that Satch was never just a shredder, but an innovator when it came to incorporating melody and virtuosity. In a way he was a songwriter in that he composed in a pop format employing melody for verse and chorus, essentially making his guitar the 'lead vox.' The concept was quite new at the time. This would make him as much a songwriter as Jeff. They're just two entirely different styles.

That he did and he did it well.. I actually think it's a lot harder to do what Satch did, than Jeff any day!!!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Lets compare completely random things that it makes no sense to compare! Very Happy 

Cheese or Aardvarks what's better?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Lets compare completely random things that it makes no sense to compare! Very Happy 

Aardvarks. Any word that has three A's in it is okay in my book.

But seriously dude. Apples and oranges.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:07 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Aardvarks. Any word that has three A's in it is okay in my book.

But seriously dude. Apples and oranges.

Apples AND oranges? You mean I don't have to choose between the two? cheers 
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Jeff was about riffs and rhythm playing. As far as that goes, he was vastly superior and far more intense than what Joe does. Believe me, I like Satriani. But i'm far more into a good riff than a solo. To me, solos are just icing on the cake.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Tough one. I like to eat cheese. I've never seen a live aardvark. I guess cheese it is.

HOWEVER... I don't like ALL cheeses. I had this really bad cheese this one time. I've never had a bad experience with an aardvark. I guess aardvarks are less offensive. That's one in the plus column for the animal.

But... aardvarks look like they smell bad.

Though a lot of cheeses smell bad, too.

Damn.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Jeff was about riffs and rhythm playing. As far as that goes, he was vastly superior and far more intense than what Joe does. Believe me, I like Satriani. But i'm far more into a good riff than a solo. To me, solos are just icing on the cake.

I don't consider Jeff a great riffer... Slayer IMO was about speed which again IMO takes away from the playing, and all starts sounding the same...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't consider Jeff a great riffer... Slayer IMO was about speed which again IMO takes away from the playing, and all starts sounding the same...
I realize that you are not a fan, so it all sounds the same to you. However Slayer was about a lot more than speed. I'd say at least 50% of their material is more mid paced than fast. Not counting the punk covers album.

Not that it has anything to do with his riffing anyway.

MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I realize that you are not a fan, so it all sounds the same to you. However Slayer was about a lot more than speed. I'd say at least 50% of their material is more mid paced than fast. Not counting the punk covers album.

There's a lot of tempo variety on show no mercy, south of heaven, seasons in the abyss, and diabolos in musica.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:24 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I LOVE songs like Skeletons of Society, Behind the Crooked Cross, Dead Skin Mask, South of Heaven, and some others which are the midpaced ones.. Sure there are some great riffs in there, but when I think of Slayer, I think of SPEED.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

So you don't think Postmortem, Mandatory Suicide or Spirit in Black are great riffs? Millions of people would disagree. Even Hetfield said Jeff was one of the best...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

So you don't think Postmortem, Mandatory Suicide or Spirit in Black are great riffs? Millions of people would disagree. Even Hetfield said Jeff was one of the best...

We all have different opinions, that's what makes discussing music or anything in general so interesting.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:23 am

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
One of their previous matchups was Mick Mars vs. Zakk Wylde. They're not even on the same planet.

manny wrote:
Guitar World has even a worse match up Kirk Hammett vs Neil Young.

Wait what? Who comes up with these??

I'd imagine that what they do with these sort of things is pick x number of guitarists and then randomly match them up. So depending on the make-up of the original list, there could be some bizarre match ups.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 am

I used to read and re-read those guitar mags like cocaine. Guitar World, Guitar, Guitar One, all the special issues. They were great, even with all the grunge artists, and I learned a lot of new songs and new techniques, bought good gear based on reviews, etc.

I don't ever remember reading anything as stupid as Mick f*cking Mars, the worst, sloppiest, most contrived soloist of metal history--yes, even compared to CC DeVille--versus Zakk Wylde. Zakk may not be the greatest, but it's like comparing Andres Segovia to Taylor Swift.

Or Hammett and Young. Idiots.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 pm

What the f*cking hell man. Mad 

WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Synyster-Gates-vs-Jeff-Hanneman

This is getting out of hand. Jeff won the first round, btw. Like we should care.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 pm

OK, so I'll ask: Who the hell is "Synyster Gates?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

My God. I just read that Synyster had beat IOMMI in a previous poll. WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 875605
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
OK, so I'll ask: Who the hell is "Synyster Gates?"

Avenged Sevenfold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...   WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTF Loudwire. Satriani vs Hanneman? Come on...
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next