Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Satriani ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 1:07 am

I put on my G3 in Denver DVD with Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen. I haven't watched that in a long time and man it is so good.

Satriani can write some really good tunes, not just blow leads all over the place. The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing is simply fantastic. !

Vai and Malmsteen are no slouches either.... but Satch's stuff strikes me as more melodic... are maybe just more accessable...

Gotta love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 1:36 am

I like his Surfing With the Alien album, but that's about all that I've heard. Wasn't Satriani Steve Vai's guitar teacher at one time?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 am

I have a few Satriani albums. Not of this Earth is my favorite and is very different from most everything else he did after it. Has a very different vibe. Surfing with the Alien is great, as is The Extremist. After that I am just not familiar with much he did.

One cool note about The Extremist. The CD came out around the same time as Lanny Cordola's "Of Riffs & Symphonies". Both albums had very similar covers (smokey, tan color) and some
of the same studio musicians (Greg & Matt Bissonette).

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 7:25 pm

I have everything he's put out. I'm a big fan, he plays with more emotion than virtually anyone else out there. Yes he leans a bit too much on the wah wah's and some of his melody lines are far from original, but I just dig his vibe, his feel. And he has long time since separated himself from the hundred-notes-per-second Yngwie clones.
I really like his last 3 albums he's made since his less-than-stellar "Engines Of Creation":
Strange Beautiful Music
Is There Love In Space?
Super Collossal

My fave of his is still and always will be Crystal Planet.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 1:29 am

stepcousin wrote:
My fave of his is still and always will be Crystal Planet.

I agree. Not of this Earth and Surfing with the Alien are great as well.

Crystal Planet is one cd that really works. One of the few that don't need vocals. The songs stick in your head and bounce around for days. Usually on instrumental cd's the songs are good, but after the cd is over all is forgotten. Satriani is not only a awesome guitarist but a really good song writer. I have always wondered why he didn't hook up with a band. The solo is great but the song is always better.
Back to top Go down

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 pm

I dig him. Ordered Surfing with the Alien for my gf for christmas since she really digs his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Satriani    ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Satriani ?   Satriani    ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Satriani ?
Page 1 of 1