Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play

Go down 
+18
EvyMetal
Glenn Rogers
MetalRob331
Troublezone
stepcousin
the sentinel
Schbopo
exact33
Smindas
metalinmyveins
manny
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
mc666
sam
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
thejokeriv
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Empty
PostSubject: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:23 am

Did Coldplay Steal Their Big Hit?

Joe Satriani, the famed and respected guitarist, has filed suit again Chris Martin and Coldplay.

The issue: that their soaring, magnificent song, “Viva La Vida,” also the title track from their Grammy-nominated albumof the same name, is plagiarized.

Satriani says a major portion of the song comes from his 2004 instrumental, “If I Could Fly.” The song is on his 10th album, “Is There Love in Space?” Listen to it and decide for yourself. And a You Tuber has already done the comparison work if you’re interested. Yikes!

Frankly, the similarity is shocking. It’s not going to take a musicologist very long to testify on this one. Not only are the two strikingly similar, the melody, the chord structure is surprisingly reminiscent of “Viva La Vida.” Listening to it, you can only wonder why it wasn’t a hit in the first place. That, of course, is another story altogether!

The Coldplay record is credited to all four members of the group. So the question will be, which one of them heard “If I Could Fly” and transposed it over to the group, either by accident or intentionally.

In the meantime, this should pose a dilemma for the Grammy Awards. One listen to that link above by the committee that bestowed nominations on Coldplay and they’re going to be in a bind. Of course, the obvious answer is to let the courts decide the outcome. But right now the Grammys are set up almost as a coronation for Coldplay come February 8th. It’s not good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am

Sure its close, but coincidences happen. I doubt Coldplay intentionally ripped off anyone. This is the last you will hear of this as it will be settled out of court. Joe Satriani will get to have his mortgage paid off by either the Bush Administration or Coldplay. The American Dream, baby.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 am

The Grammys. Bwahahahahahahaha!!! In the words of Deliverance, What a Joke!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

I say let'em settle it in a steel cage death match. Whoever comes out in one piece claims ownership of the music.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I say let'em settle it in a steel cage death match. Whoever comes out in one piece claims ownership of the music.

I like freddy's idea, that would be absolutely awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
4 hipsters against an axe slinging skinhead. nice.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm

I gotta hear this to see how similar it is. If it's just a chord progression, that will be pretty much impossible to prove it's a rip off.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

My money would be on the axe-slinging skinhead!! Joe Satriani sues Cold Play 505193

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

My money would be on the axe-slinging skinhead!! Joe Satriani sues Cold Play 505193

Mine too!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:06 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Sure its close, but coincidences happen. I doubt Coldplay intentionally ripped off anyone. This is the last you will hear of this as it will be settled out of court. Joe Satriani will get to have his mortgage paid off by either the Bush Administration or Coldplay. The American Dream, baby.

Sounds like a rip-off to these ears, but Spec's probably right. Besides, that would be a pretty ballsy move on Coldplay's part to intentionally rip-off another artist like that. But it does give me another reason do dislike those wankers. Go Joe!!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I gotta hear this to see how similar it is. If it's just a chord progression, that will be pretty much impossible to prove it's a rip off.

Click on the you tube video I posted, it's got the clod play song, Joe's song, and the two together> That one sounds open and shut to me. If alice cooper won against KISS (I'm 18 v dreamin'), this one is a slam dunk.

Joe will be able to pay off his mortgage with this one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Usually I call these things a joke, because generally it's just a similarity. This one is a little different. The two together are seamless. That's not just a similar chord progression. I don't know.

You can't trust writing credits these days, especially with all the ghostwriters out there. It may be credited to the four Coldplay members, but someone else may very well have penned the song for them. Either way, this one may be tough for Coldplay to wiggle out of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 pm

It's going to be alright for Coldplay. There's no reason for them to shiver over this. Because the hardest part is to realize that everything's is not lost and God put a smile upon your face for a reason.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm

It sounds almost identical to me, but I can't imagine critical darlings Coldplay sitting around listening to Satch, since Satch is considered so uncool. Of course their producer Brian Eno I am sure is aware of Joe Satriani, either way it should be interesting but I can see the Coldplay's lawyers quickly settling this out of court and giving him a writing credit on future pressings.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:41 pm

Yeah, the simlarities are pretty damning. I'm somewhat of a Coldplay fan, but I've never really liked this song. When I heard that this was the first single off the album, I was hoping that this song was not indicitive of what else was on there. For the most part it's not, but I prefer their first 3 albums. Though I like Coldplay, give me Keane or Feeder over this band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 5:01 pm

GET'EM SATCH!!! Joe Satriani sues Cold Play 505193

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm

I have nothing against Coldplay, and I am somewhat dubious about the likelihood of them deliberately plagerising Satriani. Still, it is a remarkably similar melody.

On a side note, Coldplay went to and met at my uni. Chris Martin even lived in the same halls of residence as me. Crazy.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Satriani has more talent than all of them combined Smile

Alex

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:03 pm

exact33 wrote:

Alex

Yeah, because 0 plus 0 is still 0.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Schbopo wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex

Yeah, because 0 plus 0 is still 0.

Ouch.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:35 pm

It does sound very similar, but I really doubt it's anything more than a weird coincidence. It reminds me of a few years ago with the comparison of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Danny California" and Tom Petty's "Maryjne." Pure coincidence. Peace.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:39 pm

the sentinel wrote:
It does sound very similar, but I really doubt it's anything more than a weird coincidence. It reminds me of a few years ago with the comparison of the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Danny California" and Tom Petty's "Maryjne." Pure coincidence. Peace.

Funny that RIck RUbin produced both albums!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am

thejokeriv wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Funny that RIck RUbin produced both albums!
See, I didn't think that one was similar. A 4/4 beat will match up every time.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 5:42 am

I have everything Joe has ever put out. Huge fan. That being said, his last 3 or 4 albums kind of lack a real spark of originality. His melodies are really basic and to someone who's not a fan, maybe boring and simple. But I love his music.

So, that song is REALLY basic. It's a great driving song or biking song and it sounds so much better on cd than that crappy sounding song bite from U-tube. But it isn't really that special or original. I personally dont see how it's a rip off. It seems to me to be a very basic melody that couldve easily been copied without even consciuosly knowing it. Yes, it does sound very much like it but the whole feel of it is different. I love Joe Satriani and couldnt care less for Coldplay. but I gotta think this case is quite a stretch for Joe to be suing them. Let it go, Joe.

Well after hearing it again together simultaneously, I think this is pretty much a rip off. I dont see how Coldplay can get out of this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 9:35 am

You can't sue over a chord progression, so if it was just that there wouldn't be a case. But a melody is a different animal entirely, the two tracks played together are pretty concrete evidence in my mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Satriani sues Cold Play   Joe Satriani sues Cold Play Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joe Satriani sues Cold Play
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next