Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 pm

The way I judge solos is whether or not they make me bust out in spontaneous air guitar.....that being said; I will have to go with "Lady Of The Valley".
.....and as much as I am tired of hearing "When The Children cry"; I'd have to list that solo as a cantidate as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:01 pm

The solo in this song always kicked my ass....

Little Fighter would prolly be my fav though!!!

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

bgsully wrote:
The way I judge solos is whether or not they make me bust out in spontaneous air guitar.....that being said; I will have to go with "Lady Of The Valley".
.....and as much as I am tired of hearing "When The Children cry"; I'd have to list that solo as a cantidate as well.
headbanger headbanger 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:39 pm

One of those groups where I tolerated the singer (who has the type of voice that makes me just want to smack him upside the head) because I liked the music the band was playing.

I always liked Lady Of The Valley and Little Fighter. Overall though I'd probably pick their cover of Golden Earring's Radar Love for a good example of Bratta's guitar playing.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
One of those groups where I tolerated the singer (who has the type of voice that makes me just want to smack him upside the head) because I liked the music the band was playing.  
Same here. Mike Tramp has a severely limited and mediocre style. Drives me nuts.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Mike Tramp has a great voice. Not the most amazing singer ever, but he's solid. And his solo stuff is way better than the White Lion stuff.

Not that that's relevant to this discussion. Haha.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Wait - one of the coolest solos ever in a top 40 hit!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Jimi Hendrix....
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) -- now that's how you use a wah!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 am

Machine Gun from Band Of Gypsys.

Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 am

Ooooh...Foxy Lady!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 am

Little Wing would take this for me...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 6:05 pm

GEORGE LYNCH!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Lynch?? F*ck you Rob. I was just about to spend some quality time with my boys and you happen to bring up George Lynch. Dammit. Now my own kids are gonna have to wait...

Lynch is the man. But it's not just because he's a pioneer and the epitome of shred. Nor is it because he wrote riffs that sound like war. Nor is it because he was captivating onstage, one-upping Blackmore in the body/leg-contorting department, displaying some of the best-looking guitars since Eddie's Kramer. Nor is it his monster tone that makes one look at the band's dress-up cosplay and scratch his head in confusion. No, that's all well and good, but it's not what makes him a legend. It's this:

This.

This is the single most epic shred piece we have today. There is nothing, not even contemporary, that has been written like this [note: I consider Eruption to be in a different class being it was completely improvised and free-form]. This is the work of a god. Even the rhythm is challenging, and the use of tritones backing cascading legato work is a force to be reckoned with. Best of all is the weaving melodies that are almost lyrical when accented by Mick's drums.

F*ck, this is divine. I can't stand Lynch's later work, but I have a feeling that he drained himself in putting Mr. Scary together. It sounds and feels like a lotta blood sweat and tears. headbanger 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm

HAHAHAHAH!!! Go spend some time with your wife Laughing very hard You sound like you just had an orgasm hahahah!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Tough to choose, I really haven't heard any Dokken albums all the way through since the 80s. George is definitely one of the better lead guitarists from that era, he had taste in addition to chops.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm

I always enjoyed how much restraint he displayed in the Beast From the East version of Mr. Scary.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 7:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I have a feeling that he drained himself in putting Mr. Scary together. It sounds and feels like a lotta blood sweat and tears. headbanger 
...or Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Semen, because he poured it all out on this song. By the way, everything else you stated about Lynch is a testament to what a great player the guy was, and is still to some varying degree. It probably would have been wise to immediately eliminate "Mr. Scary" from contention, because I knew this would be the FIRST solo mentioned, as it's just that great. I had to go back and listen to some of his solos, and one that just jumped right out at me was, "Unchain the Night". Maybe it's the cool little effects that are done with Don's voice right before the solo, as it just enhances the whole f*ckin' thing. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor with this song, and the fact that it's the first song on that album, and it was the first Dokken album I owned as a 14 year old??? I don't know, but it's bad ass!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

I might be in the minority here.. I don't find anything memorable about Mr. Scary at all....
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 9:27 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I might be in the minority here..  I don't find anything memorable about Mr. Scary at all....
wut.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I rly don't, it's boring IMO...

George Lynch is better when he isn't trying to shred. He's just not that good at it IMO... He's very skilled and when he's at his best is when he's not trying to overdo things IMO..

Walk Away is Lynch at his best and Tooth and Nail is another killer solo (after the tapping)

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:26 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I rly don't, it's boring IMO...

George Lynch is better when he isn't trying to shred.  He's just not that good at it IMO... He's very skilled and when he's at his best is when he's not trying to overdo things IMO..

Walk Away is Lynch at his best and Tooth and Nail is another killer solo (after the tapping)  

surprised 

Did you even watch the video I posted? That song is impossible on a hundred levels! Of course he's not good at shredding; he's a f*cking virtuoso!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 am

Dokken's one of those bands I think where you either instantly connect or you just don't, and I'd have to say I don't either. Razz Never really felt Lynch's playing, but I will say I like his rhythm style much more than the soloing..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 am

Well, I'm shocked. Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 82702 

I could go into great detail exploring why Lynch is a technical speed freak, but I don't feel like it. I will say that he doesn't play nearly as well as he used to. Methinks the arthritis got to him a while back.

Walk Away is a great solo, especially considering Dokken's not much of a ballad band. What's funny is that the solo to Alone Again is a bit bland IMO and Walk Away is so much more passionate.

Of course Tooth and Nail is a great solo, and let's not forget Paris is Burning.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 am

As for rhythm (sorry I just can't shut up about this guy) Kiss of Death was the heaviest, sharpest thing they'd done and I think he did a great job putting that together. Pretty much all of Back for the Attack was almost flawless (it was a little overlong).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next