Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Not big on the style or tone, hard for me to pinpoint his identity.............. It would be easier if we said Dave or Chris, but I can't really say I necessarily have a favorite for Marty...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't know about the solo, but I love the lead playing on this song

Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Or

headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Ohhhhh shit! This guy was an idol for me growing up. He's the whole reason I play Jackson!

Friedman has a bunch of identity, especially in three departments: 1. fluidity, 2. melodicness--er, melody, 3. flipping the bird to anything pentatonic. His solos are often memorable and have a dense consistency to them, often employing grace notes and working away from the tonic to come back i.e. Holy Wars. He loves middle eastern scaling as well, which really gave Dave's song a boost.

Favorite solo? Symphony of Destruction with all the gliding around blues licks. But Tornado of Souls is equally awesome, especially with the whammy flicks on top of each measure near the beginning.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
Friedman is a technically gifted player, I just don't personally get much from his playing.  The only thing that really sticks in my mind is that little flamenco lick in Holy Wars.  
Im not the biggest fan of his work in Megadeth (although Megadeth's best years were with Marty IMO). IM A HUGE FAN of his work as a solo artist.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Ohhhhh shit! This guy was an idol for me growing up. He's the whole reason I play Jackson!

Friedman has a bunch of identity, especially in three departments: 1. fluidity, 2. melodicness--er, melody, 3. flipping the bird to anything pentatonic. His solos are often memorable and have a dense consistency to them, often employing grace notes and working away from the tonic to come back i.e. Holy Wars. He loves middle eastern scaling as well, which really gave Dave's song a boost.

Favorite solo? Symphony of Destruction with all the gliding around blues licks. But Tornado of Souls is equally awesome, especially with the whammy flicks on top of each measure near the beginning.
I could listen to you talk about guitar players all day hahah headbanger 

Marty is special if you ask me Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I could listen to you talk about guitar players all day hahah  headbanger 

Marty is special if you ask me Smile 
Probably my favorite topic. cool 
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Catch up time......

Rhoads....having fun back in the day

Gilmour...
"Echoes" or "Pigs" ?????

Clapton...
Just check out the "Layla" album !!!!! Even though (IMHDO) that lp shines due to Duane Allman's contributions,   The interplay between the two is magic.

Friedman.....good technical player....love it when he shreds...like the Cacophony stuff and Megadeth.   This was the first song I ever heard with him on it.   Hawaii-Made In Hawaii EP.
and "Nope" it's not for sale !

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm

JEFF LOOMIS!!!!!!!

I hope we have some fans here headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 pm

Hell yeah. Imperiled Eyes.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 12:03 am

The Blue Marble and the New Soul
River Dragon has Come
Final Product
Engines of Hate
The Heart Collector
Narcrosynthesis

First time I heard this I gave up guitar for a week Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 

O MY!!

Loomis is on another planet when it comes to soloing... It's like a mixture of classical, melodic, and shred all in one... He has too many amazing solos...
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 11:30 am

I'll have to sit this one out....not familiar with his work.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 12:05 pm

All of them, ha.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, F*ck me. I thought you said Jeff Waters. Durka.

I just recently got into Nevermore so I'm not terribly familiar with his work. But he does write some very unique monster riffs. Really good lyricist, too, for metal (we need more).
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I just recently got into Nevermore so I'm not terribly familiar with his work. But he does write some very unique monster riffs. Really good lyricist, too, for metal (we need more).
Nevermore does have some of the best lyrics in Metal.. I give a lot of that credit to Warrel Dane...

Jeff Waters is an animal as well Wink
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
All of them, ha.
Laughing very hard headbanger 

It was really hard for me to choose...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Nevermore does have some of the best lyrics in Metal.. I give a lot of that credit to Warrel Dane...

Shows how much I know. I thought Loomis was vox and writer too! lol! 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Shows how much I know. I thought Loomis was vox and writer too! lol! 
Nothing wrong with that.. I don;t know poop about a lot of bands Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:43 pm

I can say that my favorite song so far is Poison Godmachine, and his solo in Voyager is pretty wicked.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:48 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I can say that my favorite song so far is Poison Godmachine, and his solo in Voyager is pretty wicked.
You really can't go wrong with any of his solos. As far as pure METAL solos go, Jeff is in a league of his own IMO.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Loomis is overrated. Too much repetitive ambience and monotony in his rhythm work, and not enough stuff to excite me. The shrilling fast haunting solos are pretty nice though. And I do like Nevermore a lot, especially the trio of albums from Politics of Ecstacy to Dead Heart.

Favourite solo I guess is River Dragon.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Lari wrote:
Loomis is overrated. Too much repetitive ambience and monotony in his rhythm work, and not enough stuff to excite me. The shrilling fast haunting solos are pretty nice though. And I do like Nevermore a lot, especially the trio of albums from Politics of Ecstacy to Dead Heart.

Favourite solo I guess is River Dragon.
Overrated lol!  Sorry I had to laugh..... I know that's your opinion but you are the first person that I ever heard say he's overrated (unless someone reads this and wants to be a smartass)

That guy can do anything he wants on the guitar... As far as his rhythm playing, I think he's genius and this song right here is why...

I've never heard anything like it.....

But I respectfully will have to disagree headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:11 am

What's made it difficult for me to get into Nevermore is the combination of heavily detuned guitars and heavily applied compression. Each album seems to be a banner for the loudness wars and distorts my speakers/headphones/amp when I want to crank it up. Turned down, it's just a dull, muddy mix since the dynamic range is gone. I think they're fantastic songs but deserve better treatment.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:15 am

corplhicks wrote:
What's made it difficult for me to get into Nevermore is the combination of heavily detuned guitars and heavily applied compression. Each album seems to be a banner for the loudness wars and distorts my speakers/headphones/amp when I want to crank it up. Turned down, it's just a dull, muddy mix since the dynamic range is gone. I think they're fantastic songs but deserve better treatment.
Start at Dead Heart, most of that album is standard just tuned down 1/2 step and musically I think its better than anything else they have done.  They got heavier after that album and Jeff went into 7 string playing which gives it that typical detuned sound.   I dont mind the guitar sound bcuz the songs sound great..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Start at Dead Heart, most of that album is standard just tuned down 1/2 step and musically I think its better than anything else they have done.  They got heavier after that album and Jeff went into 7 string playing which gives it that typical detuned sound.   I dont mind the guitar sound bcuz the songs sound great..
Dead Heart was actually my first album, and my favorite so far. My point is, the detuned guitars aren't a problem except for the accompanying mix. It's so brickwalled that the instruments are clashing with each other and has too much battering ram going for it. That said, the quality of the writing is outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 7 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next