Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Favorite solo doesn't cut it. This is Iommi! But I'll try to keep it down to 3

I love Iommi on TE

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Toughest one yet. Best riff(s) for me is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. But solo...probably be a battle between Lonely is the Word and War Pigs. The latter simply because I miss those old multi-tracked solos.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:00 pm

War Pigs is one of the first solos I learned on guitar just from my ear. The second more melodic one of course that sticks in your head for days....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Warning from the debut album. 13 minutes of one excellent Iommi statement after another.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm going with War Pigs.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 1:19 am

Im going with Heaven and Hell for the solo and Mob Rules for the riff.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Wicked World is probably my favorite. The way it completely calms, followed by that ripping tone gets me every time.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Die Young is killer stuff
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Vernon Reid is the next guitarist
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Even though, it's the only song I remember from Living Color, I don't mind going with "Cult Of Personality"!
Great song. Great solo.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 7:46 am

Oh, and I gotta back track for a minute and change my vote to "Lonely is the word" for Iommi. I was just listening to that one and love it! headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:20 am

Yeah I've only heard Cult of Personality. I need to check more of their music out.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 am

Excellent player.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:02 am

Probably something from 'Time's Up', like the title track or 'Pride'...here's 'Pride' live:

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 am

I don't know what it was about Living Colour, they were a good band with a fantastic singer, but something didn't click at all. I just thought that they were a mish mash of stuff I liked, turned into something that I didn't really.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 pm

One thing that I admire about Vernon's playing is that his solos always seemed improvised. His style is very fresh and different..

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 3:11 am

Cult of Personality
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Tipton and Downing
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 pm

oh yes.

please give me a moment
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Toughest one to hash out so far. I'll have to get back to you as well. These two took everything to the next level. Probably the most creative metal guitarists out of anyone else. Instinct tells me to choose The Sentinel--it is the poster child of twin speed metal guitar battles--but there's so much from the earlier output that shouldn't be ignored. Two of my favorites. I'll be back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I would have to think on this one for awhile, in my mind I tend to separate them because Tipton and K.K. have VERY different sounds from one another. I'm a huge fan of Tipton's style.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would have to think on this one for awhile, in my mind I tend to separate them because Tipton and K.K. have VERY different sounds from one another.  I'm a huge fan of Tipton's style.  
I would have to do research to tell the difference.. Im not a big Priest fan but I do like some of their solos. I picked these guys more for the love they seem to get here Smile
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would have to think on this one for awhile, in my mind I tend to separate them because Tipton and K.K. have VERY different sounds from one another.  I'm a huge fan of Tipton's style.  
Very much so, and I've been hated for saying this but Tipton is somewhat more accomplished than Downing. However, Downing is an animal (and fan of the whammy bar) and less about technique.

Tipton also became a sensational shredder, which doesn't get enough talk these days. That's quite a progression in skill you don't find in many guitarists from the 70's and before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've been hated for saying this but Tipton is somewhat more accomplished than Downing.
It's the truth though.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:29 am

K I think I made up my mind. But no one decision.

1. Touch of Evil has an amazingly passionate, well-versed solo by Tipton. Great use of sustain and diminished intervals. Haunting as hell.

2. Downing's best use of the whammy is on Victim of Changes. Dude gets all Hendrix in there . Extra points for the Unleashed In the East version.

3. As previously stated, The Sentinel is their best speed metal battle and very much the epitome.

4. Dreamer Deceiver is by far his most beautiful moment. Flowing and gorgeous.

5. I suppose Painkiller, a song I am very tired of, belongs here. This was, after all, the moment where the two came in and said "we can shred the metal F*ck out of the guitar like the rest." And they did, albeit not perfectly, but still the technique in those leads are smokin'.

6. Pain and Pleasure off of Screaming for Vengeance is f*ckin' nasty.

7. Screaming for Vengeance (song) has my favorite harmony of theirs, following a classic barn-burner of a trade-off.

8. Invader from Stained Class is terse and spacey with a bluesy strut. I like to repeat it often.

9. SINNER. Classically-inspired goodness in the middle, and whammy delay everywhere else. Again, extra points for the Unleashed version.

10. Beyond the Realms of Death from Unleashed In the East. Like most of Priest's power ballads (which Touch of Evil is not), this one doesn't do much for me on the studio release. But live is another story. And the lead spots here sound like the pair are about to snap strings and shatter neck joints. You can hear sweat hitting the pickups, I swear.

BTW, Rob, have you given some focus to Priest's catalog? If not you're missing out. Go through each one, starting with Sad Wings (Rocka Rolla is good but optional). Decades of fabulous, riff-driven metal, all catchy, heavy, and none of it will leave your head for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next