Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 am

Corp, I'll let you pick the next guitarist headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 5:42 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
What's made it difficult for me to get into Nevermore is the combination of heavily detuned guitars and heavily applied compression. Each album seems to be a banner for the loudness wars and distorts my speakers/headphones/amp when I want to crank it up. Turned down, it's just a dull, muddy mix since the dynamic range is gone. I think they're fantastic songs but deserve better treatment.
Start at Dead Heart, most of that album is standard just tuned down 1/2 step and musically I think its better than anything else they have done.  They got heavier after that album and Jeff went into 7 string playing which gives it that typical detuned sound.   I dont mind the guitar sound bcuz the songs sound great..
Dead Heart was actually my first album, and my favorite so far. My point is, the detuned guitars aren't a problem except for the accompanying mix. It's so brickwalled that the instruments are clashing with each other and has too much battering ram going for it. That said, the quality of the writing is outstanding.
I agree and for some reason I find that Nevermore sounds great on boomboxes and lo-fi equipment (thinking of those tiny portable radios and ipod speakers), but difficult to listen to for long on good headphones or a decent sound system.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Corp, I'll let you pick the next guitarist headbanger 
Thanks! Andres Segovia.

I'm kidding. But he is a fantastic guitarist.

Here's a good, underrated one: Wolf Hoffman.

TWIST: for bonus points, pick anything but Metal Heart. Razz 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 12:18 am

I haven't listened to Accept in YEARSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Let me pull some tunes up...headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 am

The dude is a monster--definitely not a shredder, but a monster--and not talked about near enough. What everyone should know is that Wolf is one of the most melodic guitarists in power metal. Like Satriani, he makes his solos sing. My favorite is Shadow Soldiers from Stalingrad; simply beautiful and you walk away humming it:

But if we're going classic:

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 am

Now this one is close to impossible. I'd pick Aiming High as I want to wreck stuff when its playing.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Admittedly, not extremely familliar with Accept (apart from the obvious "balls to the wall")....so I did a crash course on youtube and I would go with "Neon Nights".....nice memorable solo.

on a side note....I liked what I heard and shall delve further! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:34 pm

This was harder than I expected... Wolf has a great ear for melody and keeping things rather simple and it works so perfect within the songs. I'm not a huge Accept fan but when you play their records this guy def gets your attention.

This one takes the cake for me.. It just mellows the song out and has that great Fender tone (although Im not sure he's using it on this song)

My second choice would be D TRAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 pm

bgsully wrote:
Admittedly, not extremely familliar with Accept (apart from the obvious "balls to the wall")....so I did a crash course on youtube and I would go with "Neon Nights".....nice memorable solo.

This is a band that has a ton of music and rly something for everyone when it comes to Metal.. They've had releases with more speed, releases more mellow, and releases with more groove.. But it's still Accept and a great band...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 pm

bgsully wrote:

Start with Balls then move to Restless & Wild. The newer stuff with Mark Tornillo is headbanging bliss.

Metal Heart is love/hate for me. I think it's a fine album but some of the songs are either strange or dull...and Screaming for a Love Bite is the band's worst song, hands down. It's terrible. It also has Wolf's thirty seconds of shame with his solo in the title track. All the instruments drop out and Wolf goes for this quasi-shred EVH thing that just falls apart. It goes to show he's not a shredder but a very clean, melodic, and dramatic soloist, which is even better in my book. Anyway, Metal Heart does have outstanding tracks (the title track really is strong save for said solo), like Midnight Mover and Dogs on Leads.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:03 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
This was harder than I expected... Wolf has a great ear for melody and keeping things rather simple and it works so perfect within the songs.  I'm not a huge Accept fan but when you play their records this guy def gets your attention.  

This one takes the cake for me.. It just mellows the song out and has that great Fender tone (although Im not sure he's using it on this song)

My second choice would be D TRAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Good choices. These albums are much aligned (as much as Reece, understandably), but Wolf still sound inspired IMO. Predator was kickass.

I think the only album I don't care for in the catalog is Death Row, purely because of the mix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Always liked the guitar work on Restless & Wild and Balls To The Wall (Wolf plays all the guitar on Restless). Never really followed Accept after that point.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:13 pm

I still don't know anything about geetar playing but this made me go a bit mental when I was a kid. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:13 pm

corplhicks wrote:
bgsully wrote:

Start with Balls then move to Restless & Wild. The newer stuff with Mark Tornillo is headbanging bliss.

Metal Heart is love/hate for me. I think it's a fine album but some of the songs are either strange or dull...and Screaming for a Love Bite is the band's worst song, hands down. It's terrible. It also has Wolf's thirty seconds of shame with his solo in the title track. All the instruments drop out and Wolf goes for this quasi-shred EVH thing that just falls apart. It goes to show he's not a shredder but a very clean, melodic, and dramatic soloist, which is even better in my book. Anyway, Metal Heart does have outstanding tracks (the title track really is strong save for said solo), like Midnight Mover and Dogs on Leads.
Funny that you mention EVH.. I hear a ton of his theatrics and influence in Wolfs playing on D- Train..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

It should be said that second guitarist Herman Frank is every bit as good as Wolf, and his solo work is just as heavy as Accept:

Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

corplhicks wrote:
bgsully wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 5:01 pm

bgsully wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
bgsully wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations! \'arry \'eadbanger
Enjoy man! You're in for a wild ride headbanger .
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm

moving on to the man who just had a bday a few days ago...

Dimebag Darrell
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Good choice. But I cannot choose. It's impossible.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Good choice. But I cannot choose. It's impossible.
YOU MUST!!!!!!!

Hollow.. Is not only my fav Pantera song but the solo leading into the HE AS HOLLOW AS I ALONE.... headbanger headbanger headbanger 

Cemetary Gates is another that just spills Dimes amazing and very unique style.. I also feel the older he got the more he experimented with the PEDALS too much...

I also might be one of the few that think Floods is ehhhhhhhh!!!!
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh yea! It's between "Cemetary Gates" and "Domination" for me! headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 pm

CORP!!! You MUST do this... So I can move on to someone else no one knows...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Okay, okay...Cemet...no wait...f*cking Hos...hold on...

Yes.

That's the one.

Floods.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:01 am

DOMINATION!

God, they were such a beast of a band. Shame it all crumbled the way it did.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am

I'm not ashamed to say I was banging my head to that video. And punched a hole in the wall. Shit here comes the wife...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 8 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next