Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!

Go down 
+23
Eyesore
BearOnUnicycle
ishfar
Wargod
Wurthless
Citanul
MetallicSeminarian
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
bgsully
AutumnShantel
Addy
brokentulsa
manny
tohostudios
Lari
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
bass63
corplhicks
Boris2008
MetalRob331
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:41 am

Chills every time I hear the solo and outro of that song...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:53 am

I think that Pantera get way too much credit for being a successful metal band in the 90's. They were okay and I've got Cowboys From Hell, and Vulgar Display of Power, but I can't say that I ever really get the urge to play them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I think that Pantera get way too much credit for being a successful metal band in the 90's. They were okay and I've got Cowboys From Hell, and Vulgar Display of Power, but I can't say that I ever really get the urge to play them.
Says you. I play all their albums all the damn time. Love that band!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 am

I really liked Cowboys From Hell, then liked about half of Vulgar, then liked 3 songs from Far Beyond Driven. Haven't listened to them since the mid 90s.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:38 am

Pantera live on all my playlists... But only the songs I choose of course. Pantera is one of a very few bands where I owned all of their cds... Then of course I found out they were Glam before CFH..Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 am

I think that is what put me off them, I always thought that they were a Glam band that only took a heavier direction because they realised that style of music was dead. As I've said the two that I have, I like them well enough, but they never really grabbed me. But when they were really popular, I was on my no metal thing and probably listening to The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr or Belly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 am

Dimebag and Vinny were totally cool guys in person. I ran into them at a King's X show in Dallas in 2003, totally down to earth, they stood beside me in the front row during the gig and they sang along with every tune King's X played.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 am

S.D. wrote:
Dimebag and Vinny were totally cool guys in person.  I ran into them at a King's X show in Dallas in 2003, totally down  to earth, they stood beside me in the front row during the gig and they sang along with every tune King's X played.  
I've seen nothing but praise for Dime. It seems he treated everyone with respect and was a joy to be around.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 2:53 pm

JOHN PETRUCCI!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 4:16 pm

The Mind Beside Itself trilogy on Awake, especially Erotomania. Hands down.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 pm

man, it's been a struggle the last few.. lol!  Now I can choose something...

I think I'll choose 'Under A Glass Moon'.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Peruvian Skies is one of my fav solos of all time bcuz of the pure simpleness of it and the epicness that follows...

It's followed closely by THIS MONSTER!!

Lines in the Sand
Another Day
As I Am
Wishful Thinking
Hollow Years

and ...........................

To those of you that say Petrucci is just a shredder with just technical skills BLAH BLAH BLAH!!  When you can play an instrument that well, of course technicality will most likely overrule raw emotion and more melodic notes but Petrucci has just as much melodicness** as anyone out there...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 5:02 pm

If I had to level criticism Petrucci's way it wouldn't be some tired soul/no soul argument, but I would argue in the way of the fact that his style and personality isn't as individual as it needs to be.

Take Victor Smolski for example who is every bit the guitar player and shredder Petrucci is, but every single lead and riff and tone is instantly recognizable as him. If you dropped a Petrucci lead in a Lady Gaga song, I'd have no idea who it was. Smolski I would know right away.

So, I like the leads most which seem to really stick out as a real voice, such as 'Under A Glass Moon'. His tonal voice was the best on 'I&W' and 'Awake' as well, IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
If I had to level criticism Petrucci's way it wouldn't be some tired soul/no soul argument, but I would argue in the way of the fact that his style and personality isn't as individual as it needs to be.

Take Victor Smolski for example who is every bit the guitar player and shredder Petrucci is, but every single lead and riff and tone is instantly recognizable as him. If you dropped a Petrucci lead in a Lady Gaga song, I'd have no idea who it was. Smolski I would know right away.

So, I like the leads most which seem to really stick out as a real voice, such as 'Under A Glass Moon'. His tonal voice was the best on 'I&W' and 'Awake' as well, IMO.
I LOVE Victor (we will do him soon) but his playing reminds me a lot of Vai's with his pedal and use of the whammy effects.  He is very original but I will disagree with you on Petrucci. He has a great personality and voice with his guitar.  There are many solos out there that I hear and think, man that sounds like Petrucci..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Here you gents go; perhaps you've heard it:

Second place, easily.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 am

"Another Day" has a great solo! Full of feeling AND skill.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

Lines in the Sand

Throwing out a couple more that haven't been mentioned:

A Change Of Seasons  - Another World

And this non-DT one
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 2:18 am

Oooooo I hope I can pick the next one. I gotsa good one.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Some guitarists who I will be mentioning in the future...

Jimi Hendrix
Zakk Wylde
Gus G.
Angus Young
Mark Tremonti
Victor Smolski
Alex Skolnick
Yngwie Malmsteen
Jorn Viggo Lofstad
Michael Romeo

CORP.. Go ahead and pick the next one......

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Go post in my Eldritch thread Rob or I'm blaming you for letting it die
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the late Chuck Schuldiner:

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Im staying out of this one. Chuck is def an animal as is Trey Azagthoth but Death Metal is a genre I just can't get into. Sure their music has more to do with thrash but the vocals are just not my thing...

RIP
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 pm

I've never thought, nor will ever think, of Death as death metal. Godfather? Sure, but not the first. Proto-death? Well, we could consider all early thrash as proto-death. To me, his music was just as thrash as Kreator, Destruction, and Slayer, but waaaaaaay more technical and even more melodic. headbanger 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've never thought, nor will ever think, of Death as death metal. Godfather? Sure, but not the first. Proto-death? Well, we could consider all early thrash as proto-death. To me, his music was just as thrash as Kreator, Destruction, and Slayer, but waaaaaaay more technical and even more melodic. headbanger 

It's def not full blown Death Metal and I actually enjoy some of their songs. I don't know nearly enough other than their album Human which produced that killer track Secret Face headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

It's def not full blown Death Metal and I actually enjoy some of their songs.  I don't know nearly enough other than their album Human which produced that killer track Secret Face headbanger 
Human's a masterpiece but requires some focus. Symbolic was always my favorite growing up. Has some power metal leanings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!   Favorite Solo by Guitarist!! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Solo by Guitarist!!
Page 9 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next