Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Frontman

Go down 
+31
Addy
jettafiend
kmorg
brokentulsa
Grimmo
bass63
MoonChild
journeyman
Boris2008
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
manny
Lari
Citanul
BearOnUnicycle
exact33
mr.electric39
Leatherface
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
mc666
Witchfinder
tohostudios
Lurideath
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
James B.
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who's the best frontman?
David Lee Roth
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap10%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Freddie Mercury
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap12%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 6 ]
Rob Halford
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Bruce Dickinson
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap33%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 16 ]
Ozzy Osbourne
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Udo Dirkschneider
 0% [ 0 ]
Ian Gillan
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Dee Snider
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Bobbly "Blitz" Ellsworth
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Chuck Billy
 0% [ 0 ]
Stephen Pearcy
 0% [ 0 ]
Robert Plant
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Ronnie James Dio
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap4%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Geoff Tate
 0% [ 0 ]
Other (specify in post)
Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_lcap16%Best Frontman - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

Best Frontman - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Surprised at so many votes for Bruce, I don't even think that he's the best frontman that Iron Maiden have had. He's the best singer, but Paul's banter and rapport with the audience was legendary (I think that Steve Harris has said the same thing in the past)

I've always found Bruce to be a bit too smug.

I think it's partially due to Maiden being the most beloved band of the poll here. I mean, they are definitely a very entertaining to watch, but the performance, the show delivered by say Jagger or Mercury are on the whole different level imo. Though I've never ever seen anyone live here on the poll, this is my impression through multiple youtube experiences.

I saw Maiden in 90, live wise, brilliant, Brucie was a great frontman, but in no way the best I've seen. Maiden are too full of live overdubs for me to like. They reminded me of Queen when I saw them with about 20 guitar OD's. I honestly think Maiden are the most AWESOME band in history.   

Fixed it! Very Happy 

cool cool  Awesome, brother. Laughing very hard 

Last edited by Chrome Locust on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Surprised at so many votes for Bruce, I don't even think that he's the best frontman that Iron Maiden have had. He's the best singer, but Paul's banter and rapport with the audience was legendary (I think that Steve Harris has said the same thing in the past)

I think it's partially due to Maiden being the most beloved band of the poll here. I mean, they are definitely a very entertaining to watch, but the performance, the show delivered by say Jagger or Mercury are on the whole different level imo. Though I've never ever seen anyone live here on the poll, this is my impression through multiple youtube experiences.

I saw Maiden in 90, live wise, brilliant, Brucie was a great frontman, but in no way the best I've seen. Maiden are too full of live overdubs for me to like. They reminded me of Queen when I saw them with about 20 guitar OD's. I honestly think Maiden are the most AWESOME band in history.   

Fixed it! Very Happy 

cool cool  Awesome, brother.

Couldn't resist Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Fixed it! Very Happy 

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard I love this guy. headbanger 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:39 pm

ultmetal wrote:
You know who is a great METAL frontman, Katon DePena.

Ah, Hirax. Saw some youtube footage a couple years back. I have a difficult time with his voice, but yes he seemed to be about as menacing as Bobby (and pretty cool for a thrash band to be fronted by a black guy at the time).
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Fixed it! Very Happy 

That's cool my man - I used to love Maiden when I was fourteen as well Laughing very hard . Ohhhhhh, la la - heh heh.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Lari wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
The instrument thing is a weird one because there are some great Guitar/Singer showmen, Hendrix, Nugent, those make up wearing dudes, but I can understand why you just went for out front singers.

I've seen a fair few of the guys that have been mentioned over the years, Dickinson, Ozzy, Dio, Maine, DLR, Gene & Paul, Lemmy, Iggy, Chuck, but for sheer stage presence, I don't think I've seen anyone better than Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) I saw them in an open air gig supporting Depeche Mode, it was a bright sunny day, not a very good version of SOM and I didn't think that it was going to work, but they were brilliant! He just had a way of drawing you into his world, even in the sunshine, a brilliant frontman, the perfect mix of Bowie & Iggy.

I would have loved to see Freddie and Mick in their pomp, I was tempted to go with either of those, but I never saw either so I went with guys that have actually blown me away.
I've seen Sisters of Mercy and they were terrible. One of the worst live bands and biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. I actually like a lot of their studio albums, and thought they'd be great live too.

It was just unenergetic, no presence, no life, mechanically reproducing songs and I thought they'd at least get a live drummer for their show. But I guess even that was too much to ask.

Sorry to hear that they were not good when you saw them, Eldritch was brilliant, absolutely on fire that day, but he's fairly well known for being moody so maybe he was in a mood. I've seen Hetfield & Mustaine be brilliant and shockingly lousy over the years so I guess it happens.

I'm confused as to why you feel so cheated that they didn't have a live drummer, they have NEVER in their 30 year history had a live drummer. It's a bit like demanding your money back at a White Stripes gig because 'where's the f***ing bassist!' lol! 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Fixed it! Very Happy 

Yes, you did \m/

BTW - Maiden doesn't use ANY live overdubs. It's all them on stage - the only thing played off stage are the keyboards (played live)

Wish I could have seen Mercury live - he was a great front man. Lots of greats on the list, one reason I voted for Bruce Bruce over the others is that he seems to get better with age.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 pm

They do, matey, I hate to break up the party, but they do. They use three live guitars with wired in ODs to just about all their tracks, bar Wrathchild, Dianno re-runs, which stayed with the standard two guitar attack live. Maiden are the most overdubbed metal band in history, studio wise. They take that on the road. Don't believe me, fine. But sometimes what u see is not what you get. I didn't mean to irk any Maiden fans, just stating facts. I personally think they suck, but hundreds of thousands would disagree with me - so IMO counts for Jack in regards love for this band.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Not really my cup of tea but I also think that Meatloaf is a fantastic frontman.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
They do, matey, I hate to break up the party, but they do. They use three live guitars with wired in ODs to just about all their tracks, bar Wrathchild, Dianno re-runs, which stayed with the standard two guitar attack live. Maiden are the most overdubbed metal band in history, studio wise. They take that on the road. Don't believe me, fine. But sometimes what u see is not what you get. I didn't mean to irk any Maiden fans, just stating facts. I personally think they suck, but hundreds of thousands would disagree with me - so IMO counts for Jack in regards love for this band.    

Umm... no they don't... and they are far from the most overdubbed metal band in history (Def Leppard probably wins that one by far - I don't even need to address the albums as anyone with good ears who have heard knows they are far from the most overdubbed band in history.) I've been on the barrier for many a Maiden show (in front of all Dave, Adrian and Janick's rigs - it's just them playing) and have watched the show from the mix desk several times - they don't over dub their guitars live - they have three guitarist that play live, they don't need to mix in anymore - it sound heavy and think enough with the three.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Devin Townsend uses a shit ton of samples, vocal overdubs etc in his live shows and is an amazing musician, who cares?
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Went with Bruce from the list, though Alice Cooper is incredible too. I thought of David Coverdale, too. I saw him with Whitesnake a couple years ago opening for Priest (British Steel 30th Anniv. Tour) and he commanded the stage pretty well.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
Went with Bruce from the list, though Alice Cooper is incredible too. I thought of David Coverdale, too. I saw him with Whitesnake a couple years ago opening for Priest (British Steel 30th Anniv. Tour) and he commanded the stage pretty well.

You're onto something. I saw that recent live DVD, not Made in Japan but the one they aired on AXIS--I couldn't believe how incredible he was. It's like the guy hasn't aged and his voice was just prime.
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice
RAIDwarden

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I would have to have a three way tie between Bruce, Halford, and Freddie Mercury but had to go with Bruce just because Iron Maiden will always be my favorite band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Frontman
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4