Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Frontman

Go down 
+31
Addy
jettafiend
kmorg
brokentulsa
Grimmo
bass63
MoonChild
journeyman
Boris2008
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
manny
Lari
Citanul
BearOnUnicycle
exact33
mr.electric39
Leatherface
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
mc666
Witchfinder
tohostudios
Lurideath
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
James B.
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who's the best frontman?
David Lee Roth
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Freddie Mercury
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 6 ]
Rob Halford
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Bruce Dickinson
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap33%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 16 ]
Ozzy Osbourne
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Udo Dirkschneider
 0% [ 0 ]
Ian Gillan
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Dee Snider
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Bobbly "Blitz" Ellsworth
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Chuck Billy
 0% [ 0 ]
Stephen Pearcy
 0% [ 0 ]
Robert Plant
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Ronnie James Dio
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Geoff Tate
 0% [ 0 ]
Other (specify in post)
Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_lcap16%Best Frontman - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Frontman - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My inner KISS fanboy wants to know why Paul Stanley/Gene Simmons were not included in the list... yeah, I know, they're older than dirt now but back in the day nobody could touch 'em. Double the frontmen, double the awesomeness.

I hear ya. I wanted to glance at frontmen that weren't married to an instrument. Perhaps another poll with frontmen with instruments will come about.

If only the max for a poll was 15; this would be so much easier...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Robert Plant

and another one that should be on the list: Roger Daltrey
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 pm

I chose "Blitz". He really knows how to talk to his audience, between songs.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
Robert Plant

and another one that should be on the list: Roger Daltrey

Yeah, now I feel like shit. Here I am always complaining that The Who are ignored too often in the hard rock and metal crowds and I go and leave his name off the list. I'm dropping Bobby and going with Roger.

So the poll doesn't matter much anymore, but this is a great discussion! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:32 am

The instrument thing is a weird one because there are some great Guitar/Singer showmen, Hendrix, Nugent, those make up wearing dudes, but I can understand why you just went for out front singers.

I've seen a fair few of the guys that have been mentioned over the years, Dickinson, Ozzy, Dio, Maine, DLR, Gene & Paul, Lemmy, Iggy, Chuck, but for sheer stage presence, I don't think I've seen anyone better than Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) I saw them in an open air gig supporting Depeche Mode, it was a bright sunny day, not a very good version of SOM and I didn't think that it was going to work, but they were brilliant! He just had a way of drawing you into his world, even in the sunshine, a brilliant frontman, the perfect mix of Bowie & Iggy.

I would have loved to see Freddie and Mick in their pomp, I was tempted to go with either of those, but I never saw either so I went with guys that have actually blown me away.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:53 am

Roth is also up there for me because he was so much damn fun to watch, even at the reunion show. Watching the later shows from the 1984 tour though he was pretty faded.

With Daltrey I saw him solo back in...'94, I think. I went to the show with my dad, thinking, okay this should be an OK show. I've not forgotten it since. Roger was all over the place, lassoing the microphone and walking out in the audience. Entwistle was with him and the two made an awesome pair. I remember being skeptical when the second scream was coming on Won't Get Fooled...good Lord, the whole fair was talking about that scream the rest of the night.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 am

Bon Scott humble 
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am

Dee Snider!!

And if you didn't vote for Dee, you clearly never seen the guy live!

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

kmorg wrote:
Dee Snider!!

I haven't but my enduring memory of the live Dee Snyder experience was a radio airing of their Monsters of Rock set from 1984. The Donington crowd just didn't get TS and were giving the band serious abuse. Dee went into an amazing rant and threatened to beat the $h!t out of the whole crowd! (all 70,000 of them Laughing very hard ) At 13 years old, this level of swearing was hilarious! I don't think that they ever played MOR again.

That said, my cousin who's musical taste never really leaves the realm of Black Metal and Dark Ambient, saw them live a couple of years ago and said that they were brilliant.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 pm

kmorg wrote:
Dee Snider!!

Finally saw TS back in may and it was a great show - I was surprised at how good they are live. TS has not been able to capture it on video
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:09 am

Voted for Bruce but but before I even saw the list my first thought was Steven Tyler. Follow-up would have been Michael Sweet.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:33 am

Since my favorite as in the ones I enjoy the most was not listed I went by talent and that is Freddie Mercury

As for favorites as in who I enjoy, Freddie is on the list, as is Scott Weiland, Jimmy Brown II, David Bowie, and Emily Hines though she'd be a frontwoman not a frontman hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 am

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Dee Snider!!

Finally saw TS back in may and it was a great show - I was surprised at how good they are live. TS has not been able to capture it on video

No doubt. Dee commanded an audience! His in-between song banter was as entertaining as the music.

Of course I could say the same thing about Ted Nugent.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 11:39 am

I went with Dee.Like others have mentioned,he makes you feel like apart of the show.DLR is another good choice for showmanship.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Surprised at so many votes for Bruce, I don't even think that he's the best frontman that Iron Maiden have had. He's the best singer, but Paul's banter and rapport with the audience was legendary (I think that Steve Harris has said the same thing in the past)

I've always found Bruce to be a bit too smug.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Surprised at so many votes for Bruce, I don't even think that he's the best frontman that Iron Maiden have had. He's the best singer, but Paul's banter and rapport with the audience was legendary (I think that Steve Harris has said the same thing in the past)

\

No way - Bruce is a much better front man. Maybe Steve might have said that after Bruce left because he was pissed.......

I've seen Paul live - his rapport with the audience is legendary, but for different reasons.... i.e. telling the sound guy "I've been doing this 30 f*cking years and this is the worst sound ever - get your shit together mate! F*ck!", telling people "I'll come down and kick your ass - I'm English!" proceeded by the venue telling Paul off stage he won;t get paid unless he gets back on stage.....

Have you been to a Maiden gig recently? Bruce knows how to work the crowd and get them into the show.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

\

No way - Bruce is a much better front man. Maybe Steve might have said that after Bruce left because he was pissed.......

I've seen Paul live - his rapport with the audience is legendary, but for different reasons.... i.e. telling the sound guy "I've been doing this 30 f*cking years and this is the worst sound ever - get your shit together mate! F*ck!", telling people "I'll come down and kick your ass - I'm English!" proceeded by the venue telling Paul off stage he won;t get paid unless he gets back on stage.....

Have you been to a Maiden gig recently? Bruce knows how to work the crowd and get them into the show.

You can't really judge Paul on what he's like now, life, and Paul himself have not been kind to him, but he was a great frontman although maybe his charm was never going to be as international as Bruce's, his sense of humor was always very East End.

I have seen Maiden with Bruce, but not recently (unless you call 86 and 88 recent lol! ) , he just didn't do it for me, he's a good singer, but I don't get his charisma, there was only so many times I was prepared to SCREEEEAAAAM for him.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 2:53 am

Boris2008 wrote:

I think it's partially due to Maiden being the most beloved band of the poll here. I mean, they are definitely a very entertaining to watch, but the performance, the show delivered by say Jagger or Mercury are on the whole different level imo. Though I've never ever seen anyone live here on the poll, this is my impression through multiple youtube experiences.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The instrument thing is a weird one because there are some great Guitar/Singer showmen, Hendrix, Nugent, those make up wearing dudes, but I can understand why you just went for out front singers.

I've seen a fair few of the guys that have been mentioned over the years, Dickinson, Ozzy, Dio, Maine, DLR, Gene & Paul, Lemmy, Iggy, Chuck, but for sheer stage presence, I don't think I've seen anyone better than Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) I saw them in an open air gig supporting Depeche Mode, it was a bright sunny day, not a very good version of SOM and I didn't think that it was going to work, but they were brilliant! He just had a way of drawing you into his world, even in the sunshine, a brilliant frontman, the perfect mix of Bowie & Iggy.

I would have loved to see Freddie and Mick in their pomp, I was tempted to go with either of those, but I never saw either so I went with guys that have actually blown me away.
I've seen Sisters of Mercy and they were terrible. One of the worst live bands and biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. I actually like a lot of their studio albums, and thought they'd be great live too.

It was just unenergetic, no presence, no life, mechanically reproducing songs and I thought they'd at least get a live drummer for their show. But I guess even that was too much to ask.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Bobby Blitz, without a doubt. Brucie would run him a close second.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 pm

PS: I saw Twisted Sister in 1983 and Dee was awesome as well.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I think it's partially due to Maiden being the most beloved band of the poll here. I mean, they are definitely a very entertaining to watch, but the performance, the show delivered by say Jagger or Mercury are on the whole different level imo. Though I've never ever seen anyone live here on the poll, this is my impression through multiple youtube experiences.

I saw Maiden in 90, live wise, brilliant, Brucie was a great frontman, but in no way the best I've seen. Maiden are too full of live overdubs for me to like. They reminded me of Queen when I saw them with about 20 guitar OD's. I honestly think Maiden are the most over hyped metal band in history. Since Beast (average at best - nothing compared to the raw energy of Dianno albums), they have produced mediocre, boring albums.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:49 pm

James B. wrote:
I'll flip a coin from the list between Roth and Plant

Notable mentions not listed are Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Paul Stanley, and Jim Dandy Mangrum

I don't need to flip a coin to call you a LUCKY SON OF A BITCH. To have seen Rob Plant live with Zepp, go back to the former to what I call you. Lucky bastard. I'm choking on jealousy in a nice way, brother, headbanger 
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

You who is a great METAL frontman, Katon DePena.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I saw Maiden in 90, live wise, brilliant, Brucie was a great frontman, but in no way the best I've seen. Maiden are too full of live overdubs for me to like. They reminded me of Queen when I saw them with about 20 guitar OD's. I honestly think Maiden are the most AWESOME band in history.   

Fixed it! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Frontman   Best Frontman - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Frontman
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next