Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Ultimate Frontman

Go down 
+22
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Wurthless
Addy
nevermore
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Thelemech
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Thrasher73
akeldama
manny
Glower
tohostudios
the sentinel
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Ultimate Frontman Empty
PostSubject: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm

The first three that come to mind for me are (not in order of rank) Dee Snider, David Lee Roth, and Blackie Lawless.

These three all have charisma, larger than life ego, stage presence, can work the room, and have instantly recognizable vocals. I know there is more to it than those characteristics, but it's late and I am pretty buzzed. Feel free to agree or disagree and/ or post your top 3 (or one, ha!) with a brief reason why.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Those are great ones and I'd add Sebastian Bach to the list.

But the greatest frontman of all-time in my opinion will and forever be...

Freddie Mercury!!!!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3185

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Robert Plant was incredible. Jim Morrison was riveting.
I think of Ozzy in the early 80’s. He really brought metal in -
I thought the singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd - the concert videos - was great.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Good call on all those guys Glower.

Robert Plant and Ronnie Van Zandt could flat out sing their asses off.

Jim Morrison is a different animal.  I think his vocals are pretty "meh" but it's his showmanship that really shines.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Jim Morrison, charismatic and had an element danger
Bon Scott, rouge charisma and the stage always felt crowded because you became part of the band, not just the audience

and the ultimate was Freddie Mercury, the voice, the showmanship, he had it all.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 pm

manny wrote:
Jim Morrison, charismatic and had an element danger
Bon Scott, rouge charisma and the stage always felt crowded because you became part of the band, not just the audience

and the ultimate was Freddie Mercury, the voice, the showmanship, he had it all.

Yep!  There will never be a rock frontman who has the total frontman package that Freddie did.  He was a once in a lifetime performer IMO and I'm just glad he performed during my lifetime.  My only regret is never having seen him live.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Phil Lynott
Ronnie James Dio
Robert Plant
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 am

The first to come to mind when I saw the thread title was Roth, so good call there Sentinel. I agree with Toho on Freddie Mercury as well as those that listed Dio or Plant.So, picking someone not mentioned yet I’ll go with Bruce Dickinson. He’s got the vocal skills and knows how to work the crowd.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17080

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 1:51 am

My nod goes to Bruce Dickinson. He was great back in the day, but what really is impressive is that he still has so much energy even now at age 60.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 am

I also think Sebastian Bach was a very good frontman during the first two Skid Row albums.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 3:18 am

Not sure what happened to my post earlier, but I picked Dio as the best I've ever seen. I can't speak of most of the others listed here since I've never seen most of them myself. I did get to see David Lee Roth a few years back and was not very impressed. Of course back in the day,I'm sure he was much better. Would have loved to see Freddie mercury and Robert Plant, cause I'm sure they were awesome judging by the various concerts I've watched.

Another nod goes out t o Phil Anselmo back in the 90's. When he was on, there was nobody better. Problem is, out of the six or seven times I saw pantera, and the one time I saw Super Joint Ritual, he was really bad too with not much middle ground in between.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 5:30 am

I also thought about giving a nod to Phil Anselmo, but he had a noticeable decline in quality after Vulgar Dispay. I had never seen Pantera in concert, but from the videos I’ve seen of them in the late 80s to the early 90s, they were amazing. Unfortunately their constant drinking and partying affected them... (especially Phil’s drug addiction).
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am

Bob Marley, backed by the Wailers. Can you name another frontman that united an entire COUNTRY, and to a lesser point after his death, an entire REGION? THAT, my friends, is a Front man.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Bob Marley, backed by the Wailers.  Can you name another frontman that united an entire COUNTRY, and to a lesser point after his death, an entire REGION?  THAT, my friends, is a Front man.

Smile Nice!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 8:29 am

As always, lots of great responses, brothers. I probably should have specified a decade to narrow it down, cuz there really are a lot of great choices. I was thinking '80's, cuz that's where my head is stuck, haha. I can't believe I forgot Mercury! But, it was late and I was tired. I would give some honorable mentions to Dio, Dickinson, and Halford, as well as Coverdale; but the three I mentioned (in their prime) really had the crowd in their hands, while the others seemed more rehearsed and samey night after night.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 am

tohostudios wrote:
Those are great ones and I'd add Sebastian Bach to the list.

But the greatest frontman of all-time in my opinion will and forever be...

Freddie Mercury!!!!!

Good call on Baz. You see that dude at the mall and you just know he's a rock star. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6342

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am

Robert Plant for sure. He wrote the book on being a front man of a heavy metal band. Ten years later, in the 80's, everybody wanted to be like him.

David Lee Roth. One of the many followers of Plant, DLR perfected his act. Brings an insane amount of energy to the stage.

Bruce Dickinson. Everything he does is big. Starting with the way he uses his voice.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12649

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 am

Not mentioned, Jim Dandy Mangrum of Black Oak Arkansas.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am

Bon Scott
Bruce Dickinson
Ozzy Osbourne
and my personal number one Ian Anderson
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

Can't argue with any mentioned but I'll add Geoff Tate in his prime. Saw him on the Empire tour and he was commanding on stage, the whole band was a well oiled machine but he was center. It's part of what makes him turning into a weasel so sad.
Also a nod to Steven Tyler, a consummate showman.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I also thought about giving a nod to Phil Anselmo, but he had a noticeable decline in quality after Vulgar Dispay. I had never seen Pantera in concert, but from the videos I’ve seen of them in the late 80s to the early 90s, they were amazing. Unfortunately their constant drinking and partying affected them... (especially Phil’s drug addiction).

First time I saw them was during the Far Beyond Driven tour, and to this day it was one of the best I've seen. He had a way with the crowd that was something special that night. Then of course I've seen the bad decline a few shows later where he was absolutely terrible.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Ozzy and Bon were great. Lemmy in his pomp was godlike. Halford. Udo and Alice Cooper  deserve a mention.

Freddie M is a close second but my No1 has to go to a guy that has been doing it longer than most.........Mick Jagger!

Oh and King Diamond was an awesome showman as well. The Ultimate Frontman 438278
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37676

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Basing my picks strictly on guys I have personally seen live:

Dee Snider, Paul Stanley, Bruce Dickinson...

Steven Tyler (in his prime) was a great one too.

Honorable mention to Steve Whiteman (Kix)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Good call on Jagger.  It's amazing he still runs all over the place on stage at his age.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Oh and King Diamond was an awesome showman as well. The Ultimate Frontman 438278

Doh! Can't believe I forgot the King! And the God, Lemmy. The Ultimate Frontman 438278

Good calls, both are/were great frontman.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Frontman   The Ultimate Frontman Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Frontman
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next