Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...

Go down 
+21
jettafiend
exact33
thejokeriv
CRIMSONMASK
ultmetal
ZombieHavoc
bgsully
Citanul
mc666
corplhicks
brokentulsa
akeldama
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
candlemass
MetalGuy71
MetalRob331
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Empty
PostSubject: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am

Listening to a lot of Dickinson and Halford lately, I've come to realize that I like their solo material better than their actual bands. Don't get me wrong Maiden and Priest are great but I would put "Accident at Birth" and "Resurrection" right up there with any of their respected bands releases..

What solo albums do you prefer over their main band?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 am

At their time of initial release, I enjoyed David Lee Roth's solo albums over the Van Hagar stuff. Time hasn't been kind to some of those, so that might not hold true for me anymore. Eat 'Em and Smile still kicks ass, though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am

Not better, but Dio's solo material is at least as good as what he did in Rainbow and Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 am

I wouldn't say that Bruce D's Accident of Birth is better than anything Maiden had ever done, but it was certainly better than anything they'd released in a number of years.

I remember hearing that CD for the first time and thinking "Thank GOD!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I wouldn't say that Bruce D's Accident of Birth is better than anything Maiden had ever done, but it was certainly better than anything they'd released in a number of years.

I remember hearing that CD for the first time and thinking "Thank GOD!"

Yea that album slays and def surpasses what Maiden was doing at the time.

James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion is another album I pick up before I reach for Dream Theater's Octavarium.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 am

Blaze's solo stuff is also better than his Maiden records. Cool 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am

I think that I prefer Devin Townsend Project/Devin Townsend Band/Devin Townsend stuff to Strapping Young Lad, but it's close!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Dio solo albums I prefer to his work with Rainbow and Sabbath.

James Labrie's Static Impulse is a very enjoyable listen, while Dream Theater drives me mad. Haven't heard other albums with him though.

Axel Rudo Pell studio output is known much more, and is much better, than his Steeler stuff.

Ronnie Munroe's recent solo album is a nice little CD. It was a shock I actually liked that one, because I've never been interested in MC line up with him behind the mic.

UDO's first 3 albums are up there with the best Accept material.

John Arch EP is better than what Fates Warning were doing in 84-86.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Blaze's solo stuff is also better than his Maiden records. Cool 

You got that right!!

Might be a bit of a stretch, but I prefer Zakk's work in Black Label Society moreso than most of the stuff he did with Ozzy. Except No More Tears.

Billy Joel's solo output smokes the stuff he did in Attilla.Twisted Evil 

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Blaze is a big duh, his solo stuff is high quality. Good call on Zakk.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I like Ozzy's first four solo albums and Dio's albums through Dream Evil better than Black Sabbath.

What about Danzig and King Diamond? Not familiar with their earlier work. Would King Diamond be considered solo material or is that considered another band?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I tend to listen to more Paul Gilbert as a solo artist over his Racer X days. The Racer X stuff is good, but a little dated. But I'd take either of those over Mr. Big anyday.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm

I prefer Megadeth to Metallica, does that count?
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I prefer Megadeth to Metallica, does that count?

To a Megs fanboy like myself it does!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I dig Doros solo albums over warlock (warlock rocks though)
Lita Ford over the runaways
Vince Neil over Motley Crue
Ross the boss to manowar
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 1:49 am

Robin Trower over Procol Harum
Gary Moore over his stint with Lizzy
Here's a good one: Donald Fagen's solo work over Steely Dan (except Aja, of course)

Obviously these aren't metal, though, soooo...

Pride and Glory over BLS
Arcade over Ratt
Geoff over Ryche

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 am

brokentulsa wrote:
I dig Doro's solo albums over Warlock (Warlock rocks though)
Agreed on both parts. Her solo stuff is more varied.

Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 am

Not metal, but I prefer Fish's recent albums to Marillion's recent ones. Although neither have topped the albums they did when he was still in the band.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 am

Randy Rose's solo stuff was MUCH better than Mad At The World.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I like Ozzy's first four solo albums and Dio's albums through Dream Evil better than Black Sabbath.

What about Danzig and King Diamond?  Not familiar with their earlier work.  Would King Diamond be considered solo material or is that considered another band?

Danzig's stuff after is nowhere near as good as the might Misfits. Nowhere. I do enjoy 'Zig 1-3 and and his most recent album though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:43 am

I probably listen to solo Danzig more than the Misfits overall, but I don't know that one is better than the other. To me, it's apples and oranges. Just depends on the mood I'm in, I guess.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 am

I can't really think of many. I disagree with most of the ones listed here already (of the ones I am familiar with).
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I probably listen to solo Danzig more than the Misfits overall, but I don't know that one is better than the other. To me, it's apples and oranges. Just depends on the mood I'm in, I guess.

Well, yes, I'd say they are probably the least similar of any of the solo records/original band records that have been listed. Aside from a glimmer of his vocal capabilties on Misfits' songs like "American Nightmare", the Misfits do not share much with Danzig.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Fat Freddy's playlist reminded me of another one...

I never cared much for the Sex Pistols, but I love Steve Jones' Fire & Gasoline album. His work with the Neurotic Outsiders is good too.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy's playlist reminded me of another one...

I never cared much for the Sex Pistols, but I love Steve Jones' Fire & Gasoline album. His work with the Neurotic Outsiders is good too.

I love the Pistols (and The Professionals), but actually just recently discovered Fire & Gasoline. That album smokes, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...   Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solo Albums that are better than their respected bands...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next