Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solo albums

Go down 
+15
Wargod
bassman
metalhead777
manny
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
krokus
mez
Fat Freddy
kmorg
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm

So, did anyone ever go solo and deliver albums that was better than in their main band?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Ummmmm.... (scratches head)

Ummmmm.....

Hold on a minute, dammit, I'm thinkin', I'm thinking!!!!

GOT ONE!

Bruce Dickinson - ACCIDENT OF BIRTH/CHEMICAL WEDDING

Not only did those two records smoke the two that Maiden had put out w/Blaze (which admittedly, probably wasn't hard to do), but they surpassed Bruce's last couple of albums w/Maiden too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Agreed Fat Freddy, first person I thought of too, though I wouldnt say surpassed Maiden at least say equal to.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:05 pm

I really like the first ANDY DERIS solo album, but its not better then HELLOWEEN/PINK CREAM 69. Also the RALF SCHEEPERS solo album kick ass, but its not better either.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I like Butch Walker's Letters better than anything by either Southgang or Marvelous 3...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Some might argue that Ozzy did. I don't agree.

Dio delivered stuff I like as much as Elf, Rainbow and Black Sabbath.

Lemmy went solo in the 70's after getting canned from Hawkwind. Motorhead blows away Hawkwind IMO.

Halford released several albums that I like better than anything Priest released at the same time, though nothing Halford did will ever be better than their classic 70's and early 80's catalog IMO.

Ted Nugent's solo stuff blows away the Amboy Dukes.

I like Ace Frehley's last solo album better than anything Kiss has put out in the last decade.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Dio
Nugent
Rob Rock( I guess you could consider him)
Warrell Dane-Praises to the War Machine
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Quote :
I like Ace Frehley's last solo album better than anything Kiss has put out in the last decade

That's probably the only one I can think of that I like better solo than the group effort. While I like KISS to a degree, I listen to Ace's solo work much more.

Joe Perry's last 2 sound better than Aerosmith's last few (excluding Honkin on Bobo)

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:07 pm

I liked David Readman's solo disc better than the last couple Pink Cream 69 albums.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 3:11 pm

While I wanna' say DIO, it was supposed to be a band effort, and before someone starts arguing, Jimmy Baine did a lot of the songwriting as well, so I don't think you should credit DIO as a total solo band.

I agree with the Dickinson albums.....

And......

Hm.........

I got nothin'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 3:14 pm

I just thought of another one...

I'll take Ty Tabor's solo work or side projects over King's X any day of the week.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Hmmm....... maybe Billy Squire or Joan Jett or Lita Ford
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Ted Nugent (but his entire solo career, outshined Amboy Dukes career)

Bruce Dickinson and Halford's solo albums outshined their old band's then current albums.

Keith Richards solo albums where better then 'Dirty Work' and 'Undercover' ( and I like both of those Stones albums)

Lou Gramm's solo albums where better then the last few Foreigner albums of that time period.

Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:59 pm

This is debatable but Rob rock is great solo.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Was Billy Squire part of a group at one time? I only know of him as a solo artist.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Was Billy Squire part of a group at one time? I only know of him as a solo artist.

Piper who opened up for KISS and the Runaways, and that ended their claim to fame
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:52 pm

I like David Zaffiro's first two solo albums after leaving Bloodgood better than "Rock in a Hard Place".
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Halford - Resurrection when he returned to his metal roots, a monster cd.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Luca turrilli!

I also agree with Manny on the Keef albums. I think his success as a solo artist is what force Jagger to come back to the stones.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:22 pm

exact33 wrote:
Luca turrilli!

I also agree with Manny on the Keef albums. I think his success as a solo artist is what force Jagger to come back to the stones.

Good call on the Turilli albums.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Say what you will about his later stuff, the first couple Yngwie Malmsteen albums blow away Steeler and Alcatrazz in my opinion; specifically Marching Out.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 3:34 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Ummmmm.... (scratches head)

Ummmmm.....

Hold on a minute, dammit, I'm thinkin', I'm thinking!!!!

GOT ONE!

Bruce Dickinson - ACCIDENT OF BIRTH/CHEMICAL WEDDING

Not only did those two records smoke the two that Maiden had put out w/Blaze (which admittedly, probably wasn't hard to do), but they surpassed Bruce's last couple of albums w/Maiden too.

Those were in my mind as well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 8:39 am

adrian wrote:
Say what you will about his later stuff, the first couple Yngwie Malmsteen albums blow away Steeler and Alcatrazz in my opinion; specifically Marching Out.

Agree
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Luca turrilli!

Good call on the Turilli albums.

YEP! Except for the last one though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 1:57 pm

manny wrote:
adrian wrote:

Agree

Also agree!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Solo albums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solo albums   Solo albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solo albums
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next