Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm

corplhicks wrote:
To me, Van Halen is the epitome of Hard Rock. Roth-era, that is. Maybe F*ck with Hagar too. But not. Fifty. One. f*cking. Fifty. Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 352445

As for Poison, I never considered them Metal at all. They have a weird, dull mix that isn't very metallic, especially on Open Up and Say Ahhhh, Brett has a mediocre voice and C.C. is a boring guitarist. It was always weird music to me that was more fitting for Pop Rock radio.

I actually think balance is the heaviest album of the Hagar era. Definitely the hardest-edged sound.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

While I'm on the subject, I'll give another unorthodox opinion related to van Halen:

Fair warning is only half of a quality album. Almost half of it is filler. Push comes to shove has to be one of the worst songs they ever did. That being said, mean street and unchained are two of my all-time favorite songs from any band. But the first three are most consistent albums.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm

We all referred to Poison as "Pop Metal" back in the day.... Back when there weren't as many sub-genre names....

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Back when I was a teen bands such as Poison, Europe, White Lion, Slaughter, Motley Crue and Ratt were classified as pop metal (later dubbed hair metal by some prick), so that is how I still think about these bands.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm

manny wrote:
Back when I was a teen bands such as Poison, Europe, White Lion, Slaughter, Motley Crue and Ratt were classified as pop metal (later dubbed hair metal by some prick), so that is how I still think about these bands.

Me too - I HATE the hair band term, like you said it was created by some prick to make fun of the bands and all their fans
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm

manny wrote:

Not to mention that "pop metal" describes the actual music, while hair metal simply describes (makes fun of) the bands' fashion.

Pop metal was actually my introduction into metal in the first place, along with Van Halen (however you want to classify them).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
While I'm on the subject, I'll give another unorthodox opinion related to van Halen:

Fair warning is only half of a quality album. Almost half of it is filler. Push comes to shove has to be one of the worst songs they ever did. That being said, mean street and unchained are two of my all-time favorite songs from any band. But the first three are most consistent albums.

The problem with Fair Warning is that the fun wasn't there. The songs were pretty dark and heavy and weren't as recklessly sporadic as the first three albums. Gone was the party spirit and strip club anthems. That's why most of the album sounds like filler. Still not the outright bore that 1984 was, but you're right, Fair Warning would've worked better as an EP.

I will say that Diver Down is an underrated album, though.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:

The problem with Fair Warning is that the fun wasn't there. The songs were pretty dark and heavy and weren't as recklessly sporadic as the first three albums. Gone was the party spirit and strip club anthems. That's why most of the album sounds like filler. Still not the outright bore that 1984 was, but you're right, Fair Warning would've worked better as an EP.

I wouldn't put Diver Down on the level of the first three, but it did bring back the fun. Not to mention that the originals on it are all quite good.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I wouldn't put Diver Down on the level of the first three, but it did bring back the fun. Not to mention that the originals on it are all quite good.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Lol, all those reasons you listed about why you dont like fair warning as much as the other is why I like it more. To me it's like the band is recounting what the "other side" of the party life is like. When the shiney gloss of the booze has worn off to the grungy hungover stage, smelling like old cigarettes and sweating booze in a seedy theater playin nasty skin flicks. To me there sayin' it's not all glamour and guitar solos, if ya wanna be like us you've had fair warning. That's wha makes it endearing to me. It's an honest look on the other side, as well as being pretty rockin.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:04 pm

DevZor wrote:
Lol, all those reasons you listed about why you dont like fair warning as much as the other is why I like it more. To me it's like the band is recounting what the "other side" of the party life is like. When the shiney gloss of the booze has worn off to the grungy hungover stage, smelling like old cigarettes and sweating booze in a seedy theater playin nasty skin flicks. To me there sayin' it's not all glamour and guitar solos, if ya wanna be like us you've had fair warning. That's wha makes it endearing to me. It's an honest look on the other side, as well as being pretty rockin.

The main reason why I don't like Fair Warning as much is inconsistent songwriting (it gave us Unchained, but it also gave us Push Comes to Shove). That being said, a lot of my friends hold it as their favorite Van Halen album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

DevZor wrote:

I can see this, you're spot on about the thematic qualities of the album, whether the band made it intentional or not.

And I don't think Push Comes to Shove is the bad song there; it's certainly So This is Love. Worst VH song ever written before 5150 came out.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DevZor wrote:

I can see this, you're spot on about the thematic qualities of the album, whether the band made it intentional or not.

And I don't think Push Comes to Shove is the bad song there; it's certainly So This is Love. Worst VH song ever written before 5150 came out.

I don't like that song either. Basically, after Unchained, I lose interest in the album.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm

We always called bands like Poison "party metal". Don't like the hair metal tag but over time I've just accepted it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:57 pm

manny wrote:

I still think that Pop Metal is an oxymoron.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:35 pm

What's so oxymoronic about it. You take a little metal, take a little pop, throw it into a blender thats dressed like a transvestite and viola!!! Pop metal. It's simple math really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I think we all spend too much time trying fit bands into neat little categorical descriptions. If a band comes out with an interesting sound then immediately someone has to come up with a new subgenre to shoehorn them into. For some reason the internet seems to have turned everyone into musical librarians with an almost rabid fixation on categorizing everything to death.

Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 pm

jstate wrote:
We always called bands like Poison "party metal". Don't like the hair metal tag but over time I've just accepted it.

Where I grew up, we called it "Pop Metal" or "glam Metal".....though I too have accepted the stupid term "Hair Metal" or "Hair Bands". lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
I think we all spend too much time trying fit bands into neat little categorical descriptions. If a band comes out with an interesting sound then immediately someone has to come up with a new subgenre to shoehorn them into. For some reason the internet seems to have turned everyone into musical librarians with an almost rabid fixation on categorizing everything to death.

That quote sounds like intellectual jazz-infused neo-urban-heavy-core to me.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

DevZor wrote:
What's so oxymoronic about it. You take a little metal, take a little pop, throw it into a blender thats dressed like a transvestite and viola!!! Pop metal. It's simple math really.

I guess I still equate metal with heavy metal, and to have heavy metal you need some kind of heaviness to the music and I don't hear any heaviness in that music. Maybe it is 'metal' but I don't really know what that is.

Pop metal as I see it is DTP's Addicted and Dev would make a superb transvestite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:07 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:

lol! Laughing very hard Naw dude I don't see any urban in that wtf is wrong wif you! Laughing very hard

In all seriousness, genre discussions are pretty futile and I've even seen friendships all but destroyed by such discussions. I'm sure that wouldn't happen here, but I agree with S.D. that lovers of music can fall into this dangerous trap of making genre/subgenre labeling a top priority.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 pm

corplhicks wrote:

5150 Is my favorite Van Halen album.

Last edited by Vexer6 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:

:lol!: :lmao: Naw dude I don't see any urban in that wtf is wrong wif you! :lmao:

In all seriousness, genre discussions are pretty futile and I've even seen friendships all but destroyed by such discussions. I'm sure that wouldn't happen here, but I agree with S.D. that lovers of music can fall into this dangerous trap of making genre/subgenre labeling a top priority.

Actually this is a very good point. I noticed that earlier on when talking about metal-archives and glam metal I was descending a little into genre debating. I'm not really that concerned about the genre a band belongs to or allegedly belongs to. The only practical use I see for genres is categorising my own music collection in itunes. Even then I genres very loosely - we have discussed this previously about what is and is not glam etc. however in my itunes I have bands like Telsa, RATT, Poison and White Lion all categorised under glam metal. Simply because (subjectively) to me there is a common pattern in their style. Others may not consider it so, but I am using these categories for my own purposes.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:

lol! Laughing very hard Naw dude I don't see any urban in that wtf is wrong wif you! Laughing very hard

Actually this is a very good point. I noticed that earlier on when talking about metal-archives and glam metal I was descending a little into genre debating. I'm not really that concerned about the genre a band belongs to or allegedly belongs to. The only practical use I see for genres is categorising my own music collection in itunes. Even then I genres very loosely - we have discussed this previously about what is and is not glam etc. however in my itunes I have bands like Telsa, RATT, Poison and White Lion all categorised under glam metal. Simply because (subjectively) to me there is a common pattern in their style. Others may not consider it so, but I am using these categories for my own purposes.

And you bring up an equally good point, that genre sorting is in fact subjective. I just mentioned in another thread that I consider Metal Church thrash w/ heavy power metal leanings--add this to the 'unorthodox' list--and I'm sure there are only a few who feel the same way. When it gets more complicated with the nu/post genres, well--this becomes damn difficult because there are so may influences to draw off of now, making music a tad more complex and layered than it used to be. Genre labeling really does end with the listener and should never be a universal system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 17 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20 ... 24  Next