Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:18 pm

chewie wrote:
manny wrote:

3- Done with Mirrors and Rock IN a Hard Place are excellent Aerosmith albums despite what popular opinion says about them

Rock In A Hard Place is my favorite Aerosmith album!

Love 'em both, especially Rock in a Hard Place.

"Darkness" is one of the best songs from the Done With Mirrors sessions. Oddly enough it didn't appear on the original vinyl pressings.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 pm

manny wrote:
1- I like John Bush better Joey Belladonna

2- The Tony Martin Black Sabbath created some great albums

3- Done with Mirrors and Rock IN a Hard Place are excellent Aerosmith albums despite what popular opinion says about them

4- Gary Moore's blues era is better then his hard rock/metal era

5- The Steve Morse era of Deep Purple is almost as good as the classic line up

6- Manowar is a funnier parody then Spinal Tap and Steel Panther

Agree with all of this. #1 is an interesting footnote to what I was saying; John Bush is a killer vocalist and to me more enjoyable than Joey, but I didn't like Anthrax with John Bush. Am I crazy?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm

[quote="corplhicks"]
manny wrote:

4- Gary Moore's blues era is better then his hard rock/metal era

No way! His blues stuff is good, but some of his rock/metal stuff is simply outstanding! Especially the stuff he did with Philip Lynott.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
I like one BFMV album, everything by Demon Hunter is pretty good. I love Shadows Fall, and on occasion, some AILD hits the spot. Beyond those 3 bands I really don't care so much. Unearth and God Forbid are not too bad but I don't have anything of theirs. All that Remains and KSE are difficult to listen to.

I will firmly disagree with Bear here tho, to me, In flames has more in common with Children of Bodom or Immortal Souls in the melodic death metal realm than anything metalcore. They are a great band but IMHO, not metalcore in the least bit.

No idea what the exact genre they are, but all the bands I mentioned have that special something in common which I like about them. Hence I put them all under the same umbrella.

I get that. Unfortunately, this is where the whole "genre labeling" idea can get WAY out of hand, because a lot of it is what influences you hear or even your background in music.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Wild Frontier is my favorite Gary Moore album

I really like Cheap Trick's The Doctor, Lap Of Luxury and Busted, I actually prefer them over All Shook Up and Woke Up With A Monster.

While I do like Aerosmith, I find them a tad overrated, but I will admit to liking that duet with Carrie Underwood.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Whenever a genre has "post" in front of it, that's when I officially become confused as to what the actual genre is.

The "post" label does not bother me as much as the "core" tacked on to the end. I guess it's so the music snobs can have their pet band and still think that they are individualists. Besides, adding "Core"makes it more legit than the already established acts on the scene (insert sarcastic smirk). Case-in-point. IMHO, Shadows Fall and In Flames are labeled "Metal-core" but really have more in common with the older Thrash and Death Metal sounds. Really they are a blend. They are marketed as "... Core" cuz death metal has negative connotations (assume sarcasm). Lame, but that's my opinion.

Last edited by jettafiend on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Agree with all of this. #1 is an interesting footnote to what I was saying; John Bush is a killer vocalist and to me more enjoyable than Joey, but I didn't like Anthrax with John Bush. Am I crazy?

Bush is awesome, but I prefer his work with Armored Saint. He never seemed like a good "fit" for Anthrax, at least in my book.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Bush is awesome, but I prefer his work with Armored Saint. He never seemed like a good "fit" for Anthrax, at least in my book.

THANK-YOU!!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Whitesnake's "1987" is one of the greatest albums of all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Not liking Bush singing in Anthrax is FAR from being an unorthodox opinion.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I think Death Magnetic is WAY underated, and this is coming from a guy who hates just about everything between the black album and DM.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I feel better, thanx guys Smile
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 am

Quote :
Not liking Bush singing in Anthrax is FAR from being an unorthodox opinion.

That's what I always thought too. I remember when Sound Of White Noise came out amongst my metal friends I was the only one who not only loved that album but also the only one who didn't hate it. Bush and Belladonna were both equally great for me.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Sabbath made their best albums after Ozzy left.
Quest for Fire is actually a quite decent song.
Cold Lake is a pretty decent album, even if it's far inferior to the rest of Celtic Frost's output.
The same goes for Accept's Eat the Heat.
Pantera were a great band in their glam days, and better than some of the big glam bands at that.
The first two Bon Jovi albums actually did have some traces of metal influences.
Glam/hair metal isn't a real genre of music.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Metal Archives is a great resource, but they ARE very biased. I can see not including the likes of Kiss or AC/DC or even Van Halen, but there is no reason that Black N Blue, Europe (the first two albums make On Through The Night sound like Hysteria by comparison), or Alice Cooper dont belong on that site (especially when they DO include much lighter stuff like Krokus or Quiet Riot).
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm

I don't really care for Metal Archives' elitist opinions - good resource for encyclopedic purposes only but no more.

As for KISS, AC/DC, Van Halen, and then bands like Dokken and RATT. Let Metal Archives sit on their high horse because imo all those bands are metal. At their respective times in history, all those bands were doing something unique and were considered heavy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I don't really care for Metal Archives' elitist opinions - good resource for encyclopedic purposes only but no more.

As for KISS, AC/DC, Van Halen, and then bands like Dokken and RATT. Let Metal Archives sit on their high horse because imo all those bands are metal. At their respective times in history, all those bands were doing something unique and were considered heavy

headbanger

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

100% agree!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Dokken is on there.

There are 90,000 bands on there. Doesn't it seem more productive to look a little into what makes up their opinions instead of just flailing about bashing the site? It is easily one of the most important websites for this music. If you want elitist, go to the music area of anus.com, this isn't the same thing. Objectivism > subjectivism any day, at least they are trying and putting a major effort in...
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Dokken is on there.

There are 90,000 bands on there. Doesn't it seem more productive to look a little into what makes up their opinions instead of just flailing about bashing the site? It is easily one of the most important websites for this music. If you want elitist, go to the music area of anus.com, this isn't the same thing. Objectivism > subjectivism any day, at least they are trying and putting a major effort in...

For the record, I am not bashing the site or taking away from its importance. I agree - yes the site is important for encyclopedic purposes. I don't agree with them excluding some bands but including others - I would take a more inclusive approach rather than passing judgment on what is or isn't metal. At the same time I also agree that in of itself that is a difficult task.

I also think though that 80s glam metal is part of the metal scene and should be included on the web site. This is where I think their opinions are elitist.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Guys dressing as women is a fetish, not a genre of metal.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 pm

To be fair, there IS a good database for glam/hair/pop/melodic metal with Heavy Harmonies, so we do have that at least.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

I also find Sleazeroxx.com fills that need quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Warrant's cover of "We Will Rock You" is better than the original

Disturbed are a lot more "metal" than some of the "true metal" bands out there
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 pm

jstate wrote:
I also find Sleazeroxx.com fills that need quite nicely.
Me too.

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 15 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next