Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?

Go down 
+45
manny
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
trock67
Citanul
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
JBall_Z
Leatherface
DallasBlack
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
DevZor
journeyman
Required Fields
Tur-Thalion
exact33
tohostudios
metalheaded
chewie
Hadley
choosemetal
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
Vexer6
ultmetal
bgsully
Boris2008
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
kmorg
corplhicks
adrian
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
James B.
Wurthless
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Almost all of those are very popular opinions.

and long held ones too.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Tourniquet's Stop The Bleeding is not a good album and I never liked it
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Tourniquet's Stop The Bleeding is not a good album and I never liked it

I disagree, but I do think both Bleeding and Pathogenic are mush stronger than Psycho-Surgery. Of the trifecta, Psycho-Surgery is definitely the weakest.

The 2 best Luke Easter songs are the ones recorded for The Collected Works.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't care much for Brian Johnson fronted AC/DC and believe that Bon Scott had ALOT of uncredited input on the "Back In Black" album. Related to that, I prefer 80's Krokus to 80's AC/DC.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:09 am

I'm curious as to what you guys think about "post-harcore," or "emo/screamo bands." I admit--with a moderate amount of shame--that I had a short fling with this stuff when it was getting big, around 2005. It didn't last long, thank God. Anyway, I thought by now that the scene was dead. Talking with a young booking agent in the LA area, I brought it up and he told me that it was in no way dead and even more popular than before. So I guess bands like Underoath and Bullet for my Valentine are still going strong. Listened to a bit of the new stuff, sounds more metallic but...well, I'll reserve my opinion for later. I want to hear what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 am

I'm not as into it as I was, but I still like me some metalcore. I burnt out on the vocals, but I'm starting to come around again and slowly adding some of the better stuff (imo) back into rotation.

I've always liked Demon Hunter and and there most recent is the best they've done. And I could never stand underoath or bullet for my whatever. I really like most of Killswitch engage, as I lay dying and shadow's fall's stuff but its been a while since I listened to those bands. (Until recently, picked up killswitch's recent one for nostalgia's sake and am really enjoying it)
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:48 am

Lurideath wrote:
The greatest doom metal album ever is Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

I agree with you on this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 am

I've started to explore metalcore recently: BFMV, Killswitch Engage's latest, In Flames, Sacred Mother Tongue, Times of Grace, Vanisher and Raintime. So far really liking it.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 am

I like one BFMV album, everything by Demon Hunter is pretty good. I love Shadows Fall, and on occasion, some AILD hits the spot. Beyond those 3 bands I really don't care so much. Unearth and God Forbid are not too bad but I don't have anything of theirs. All that Remains and KSE are difficult to listen to.

I will firmly disagree with Bear here tho, to me, In flames has more in common with Children of Bodom or Immortal Souls in the melodic death metal realm than anything metalcore. They are a great band but IMHO, not metalcore in the least bit.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 8:20 am

Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 am

I love demon hunter.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:57 am

"Change of Address" is a good Krokus album. I dont get all the hate for it, sure its not Headhunter, but its not as cheesy as "The Blitz" (though i like that album too).

Metal Heart is my favorite Accept album

If St. Anger had real drums it would be one of Metallica's best albums

Theocracy are the best power metal band going today
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

Metal Heart is an awesome album, right up there with Balls and Restless. I never understood why it got so much hate for being a more "commercial" album. It rocked hard and had some killer songwriting on it.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:33 am

AJFA is Metallica's best album.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 12:12 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I like one BFMV album, everything by Demon Hunter is pretty good. I love Shadows Fall, and on occasion, some AILD hits the spot. Beyond those 3 bands I really don't care so much. Unearth and God Forbid are not too bad but I don't have anything of theirs. All that Remains and KSE are difficult to listen to.

I will firmly disagree with Bear here tho, to me, In flames has more in common with Children of Bodom or Immortal Souls in the melodic death metal realm than anything metalcore. They are a great band but IMHO, not metalcore in the least bit.

No idea what the exact genre they are, but all the bands I mentioned have that special something in common which I like about them. Hence I put them all under the same umbrella.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Hadley wrote:
"Change of Address" is a good Krokus album. I dont get all the hate for it, sure its not Headhunter, but its not as cheesy as "The Blitz" (though i like that album too).

Metal Heart is my favorite Accept album

If St. Anger had real drums it would be one of Metallica's best albums

Theocracy are the best power metal band going today
Agreed on Change Of Heart, I like Eat The Heat just as much as the stuff with Udo and I wish David Reece lasted longer. I'll admit the live versions of the St. Anger tracks featured on the DVD did sound slightly better, but the drums weren't the only problem for me, the songs were just far too long, repetitive and one-dimensional, plus the lyrics are some of the worst i've ever heard, maybe I would've found the album more tolerable if there were at least a few decent solos thrown in.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao Zao

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Them, Converge, Poison the Well, and the more progressive metalcore influenced bands like Between the Buried and Me, TesseracT, and Corelia are really f***ing awesome.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:11 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

I don't know if it's their best, but it's easily my favorite next to Kill 'em All.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Wurthless wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:

I don't know if it's their best, but it's easily my favorite next to Kill 'em All.
My favorite next to Kill is the Black Album.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm curious as to what you guys think about "post-harcore," or "emo/screamo bands." I admit--with a moderate amount of shame--that I had a short fling with this stuff when it was getting big, around 2005. It didn't last long, thank God. Anyway, I thought by now that the scene was dead. Talking with a young booking agent in the LA area, I brought it up and he told me that it was in no way dead and even more popular than before. So I guess bands like Underoath and Bullet for my Valentine are still going strong. Listened to a bit of the new stuff, sounds more metallic but...well, I'll reserve my opinion for later. I want to hear what you guys think.

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal, if they claim to be metal bands. If they don't, then no harm, no foul, since it's a whole different genre and they didn't "trespass", so to speak. Funny thing is, Underoath USED to be a pretty good band, on their first couple of records. BFMV isn't bad musically, but vocally they're pretty emo/metalcore. Not metal.

If any of those bands are "getting better" in your ears, it's due to them being more metallic, as you say. If any band starts to add metal to their sound, they automatically get better, haha...because metal is the best genre of music on the planet. But it's a double-edged sword, since when you look at it the other way around, it's an insult since they're mixing metal with lame-o stuff; therefore corrupting the metal.

And there's what I think about it. And this is all said while my wife has a BFMV sticker on her car's back window, lol....oh, well.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I like Metalcore bands and don't find them to be an "insult" at all.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:26 pm

metalheaded wrote:

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal, if they claim to be metal bands.

Yeah, I remember people saying exactly the same thing to me about Slayer, Venom, Kreator and Sodom. I didn't care then and I'm sure that a lot of kids don't care what we think now.

And maybe they shouldn't? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

metalheaded wrote:

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal....

You win the Manowar "All oiled up and ready for a REAL metal party" award for the day.

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Manowar1

lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
metalheaded wrote:

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal....

You win the Manowar "All oiled up and ready for a REAL metal party" award for the day.

Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Manowar1

lol!

Laughing very hard laughing I needed that on a day like today; thanks, SD. cheers
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
metalheaded wrote:

I think all those bands are an insult to real metal, if they claim to be metal bands.

Yeah, I remember people saying exactly the same thing to me about Slayer, Venom, Kreator and Sodom. I didn't care then and I'm sure that a lot of kids don't care what we think now.

And maybe they shouldn't? Wink

They don't and they shouldn't, but can't help it if most of their bands suck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unorthodox Metal Opinions?   Unorthodox Metal Opinions? - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unorthodox Metal Opinions?
Page 13 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next