Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sooooo, Black Metal...

Go down 
+43
TheUnborn
Headbanger Man
Citanul
the joker
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
nevermore
Short-Fuse
choosemetal
Icy Grave
mlotek
Gilbert
DakotaRogers
exanimate
mr.electric39
krokus
manny
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
jstate
Joe
James B.
SpectreFate
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
SAHB Healer
Lari
thejokeriv
Wurthless
Sword Of The Heretic
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
Boris2008
mc666
Leatherface
T-Roy
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Since we're posting some black metal:

Not black metal in the stricktest terms but it falls in the hybrid catagory:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

When I was into the scene, my favourite album was Satyricon's Dark Medieval Times. And Nemesis Divina, either way there was no band as awesome as Satyricon. Not even Mayhem. And yes, it was only Norwegian black metal for me.

I never got the "wow it's so screechy and annoying" feeling when listening to Satyricon as opposed to the other bands. There's the constant bass yes but the only thing that later put me off about the band was the fact that it really is corny once you distance yourself from it a little bit. And that it's not entertaining, enjoyable music, more like trance-inducing soundscape that kind of is based around the fact that you believe it is awesome. Once you don't or can't get in the "mood", it's not really possible to play it. How many of you could imagine playing Norwegian black metal while driving, for instance?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Here's some more videos no one will watch of some of my favorite Black Metal:

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I watched a couple of em Brian

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Here's some more videos no one will watch of some of my favorite Black Metal:

That was actually my first taste of black metal. I remember loving that album and have been on the lookout for it ever since I lost it many moons ago. I really should just order it because I find very few Arcturus albums around here and none of them that one or the other earlier albums (I have one of the later albums and I like it, but it doesn't have the magic-or black shrieks-of that one).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Heck, I just ordered it while it's fresh on my mind. I found a special edition of it that inclues the first EP.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Black Metal is more harsh and abrasive than heavy, IMO. It's always been more about creating a certain kind of atmosphere than being "heavy".

100% agree with this statement
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 pm

My favorite black metal band as a young lad:

Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Sound-barrier
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm

I just knew someone was going to make that joke. I must be psychic!

lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 am

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 4:06 am

Lari wrote:
And that it's not entertaining, enjoyable music, more like trance-inducing soundscape that kind of is based around the fact that you believe it is awesome. Once you don't or can't get in the "mood", it's not really possible to play it. How many of you could imagine playing Norwegian black metal while driving, for instance?

I think it is, and I also play all kinds of music while driving. I don't get all the rules and preconceptions and conditions metal is burdened with these days. It's so boring. Not that this will be met with any less ridicule than my last serious contribution to the thread anyway, though....
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 am

I like black metal but only if i am in the right mood for it and if its real black metal, not melodic black metal or gotic type of black metal. I like the first wave of bm bands the most like all the early recordings by MEFISTO, MESSIAH, HELLHAMMER, BATHORY, MAYHEM, SAMAEL, ANCIENT RITES, IMPALED NAZARENE, BEHERIT, DESASTER (today thrash/black but their early releases were more black metal), ARCHGOAT, very early ABIGAIL (JAP), DECAYED etc....
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am

I like some black metal, like Emperor, 1492, etc, but I rarely spin it, but I do enjoy the genre on occasion
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 am

I may not like Black Metal but I do love reading the entertainingly insane interviews some of the more deranged/elitist/"tr00 grimm kvlt" dudes give to magazines/web sites. Seriously, a lot of them folks shouldn't be walkin' around loose.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Not that this will be met with any less ridicule than my last serious contribution to the thread anyway, though....

That was not my intent young man. If I offended you, please forgive me.
If I was gonna ridicule you, I would of said something along the lines of, "put that damn shovel away, you're diggin way too deep"

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

This is the album I was listening to that sparked this discussion...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm

ultmetal wrote:

As black metal goes, Antestor ranks pretty low in my book.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:38 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

As black metal goes, Antestor ranks pretty low in my book.

I thought that song, the lead-off track, kicked ass! Killer opening that builds anticipation and then takes off like a rocket. Then track 2, track 3 fades into the background, my mind is wandering...I'm no longer even paying attention to the music. Squirrel! Ok, turn it up, focus, people love this stuff. Hmmmm, I wonder if that car in front of me knows his turn signal is still on...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 4:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
WOW, that song is sick!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 am

I just wrote my review of the new Antestor.... gave it a 9 axe...

Now I don't care for most of this genre, but this album had a lot of sinister harmonies and some cool atmospherics... All Towers Must Fall is stellar.... all with Remnants....

will this be a constant player ... not sure right now but I dig this disc.....

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exanimate
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 6:44 pm

I like quite a bit of Black Metal. Dissection, Marduk and Emperor are my favorites from the old guard. I really like Watain and 1349 as well.

I've always been partial to US Black Metal, going back to the days of Abazagorath, Noctuary, Pessimist and Absu.

Some really great stuff is coming out of Kentucky right now. Panopticon is a one man project and amazing. I highly recommend the album "Kentucky". Black metal mixed with Bluegrass. Sounds strange, but it works really well. Anagnorisis and Leviathan are two solid bands out of Kentucky as well. Nachtmystium is still a favorite, but it's a lot of different stuff like black metal, psychadelic, new wave, etc... Also like Xasthur, Twilight and Hate Meditation.

A lot of Black Metal became more about image than music. I tend to like the more stripped down stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/jbeter
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Some stuff I've been digging lately that can loosely be called black metal.

I'd also include Deafheaven on the list but realise that they really split the black metal crowd about whether what they do is BM.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 9:45 am

Never got into black metal. Not my style.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sooooo, Black Metal...
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next