Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sooooo, Black Metal...

Go down 
+43
TheUnborn
Headbanger Man
Citanul
the joker
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
nevermore
Short-Fuse
choosemetal
Icy Grave
mlotek
Gilbert
DakotaRogers
exanimate
mr.electric39
krokus
manny
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
jstate
Joe
James B.
SpectreFate
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
SAHB Healer
Lari
thejokeriv
Wurthless
Sword Of The Heretic
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
Boris2008
mc666
Leatherface
T-Roy
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Virtually all black metal is horrible, so you're not missing much.

The only one I've heard that I thought was great was EMPEROR - "Anthems to the Welkyn at Dusk", which actually has memorable riffs/songs and isn't too long. It actually makes you want to pick up the guitar to play along with the riffs.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I simply don't "get" black metal. Then again, I never "got" death metal either.

Same here. I'll pass.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I really enjoy the bands copying the Hellhammer/early Bathory stuff. But not much else.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I really enjoy the bands copying the Hellhammer/early Bathory stuff. But not much else.

Was Hellhammer really Black Metal? I am admittedably uneducated. But those guys were Swiss and the real Black Metal thing happened way north of there. I cannot consider even the early Celtic Frost REAL BM.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Was Hellhammer really Black Metal? I am admittedably uneducated. But those guys were Swiss and the real Black Metal thing happened way north of there. I cannot consider even the early Celtic Frost REAL BM.

Ask any corpse painted angsty youth and they swear Hellhammer and Bathory were the roots of black metal. I don't call 'em that, but the bands that copy that sound are considered BM, such as Darkthrone.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Ask any corpse painted angsty youth and they swear Hellhammer and Bathory were the roots of black metal. I don't call 'em that, but the bands that copy that sound are considered BM, such as Darkthrone.

So, Slayer wa Black Metal then?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Quote :

Sure, why not.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

Sure, why not.

Well....... the term Black Metal seems to have changed since the early 80's. Back then, we used it to refer to the outright satanic bands, like Venom (who seemed to have invented the term), Hellhammer and Slayer (first album). It seems the current black metal bands just took the name to describe themselves.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Black metal is the same as every kind of music. If you speak the language, it speaks to you, if you can see the colors, they'll be seen. The general style, production, and themes that tend to help make the hallmarks of the style are things that have a place in my emotional palate. It has to be approached objectively, how else does one approach art? Of course, that emotional palate holds things ranging from extreme joy to sadness to hate and love and everything in between. So a great song by Judas Priest or Labyrinth will likely not speak to the same part of me as something from Limbonic Art or Lengsel. Everyone with me so far?

Black metal is also the same as every kind of music in that there is some very good music, and then a whole lot of terrible bands doing genre-exercises. No difference in the good-poor ratio there either.

I'm a born-again Christian libertarian with a life-long deep interest and experience in the paranormal, and have experienced varying extreme degrees of emotional damage and/or addiction. I'm a hyper-aware, hyper-sensitive personality who is a writer and musician who sometimes has to struggle just to manage "everyday life" and the "mundane" things that go with it. And, the only single response a statement like that usually gets is some condescending comment about youth, or a recommendation to shove some Big Pharma drugs down my throat. So, it's safe to say I have a place for all metal.

Some of my favorite black metal:

Blut aus Nord
Lengsel
Emperor
Gris
Limbonic Art
Immortal
Wolves in the Throne Room
Lunaris

I bet your really, really fun on a date

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 pm

I have OCI's Warlock. Don't mess with the best...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I am not downing the guy, the conversation would be quite interesting me thinks ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Black Metal is one of my favorite genres. I like all the different styles of BM, some more than others. I didn't get into it until I was in my 30's so I don't buy the "it's just noise" or "stuff that angry kids listen to." I'll admit upon my first listen I was taken back, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. For me, the feelings that are brought out in the music is what I like about it most. Sure, they are mostly negative feelings like distress and anger, but these were feelings that I could relate to at the time I started getting into it. It was the perfect soundtrack to how I felt, and after listening to it, I felt better. It's helped me get through the most difficult times. I love it.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

I play an Iceman. You're thinking of another guy. A cheater, like all the rest. Sad
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I play an Iceman. You're thinking of another guy. A cheater, like all the rest. Sad

Are you sure? I bought someones Warlock from the CMR WAAAYYYY back when I actually thought that board had something to offer. Pretty sure it was you bro.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 am

Joe wrote:
For me, the feelings that are brought out in the music is what I like about it most. Sure, they are mostly negative feelings like distress and anger, but these were feelings that I could relate to at the time I started getting into it. It was the perfect soundtrack to how I felt, and after listening to it, I felt better. It's helped me get through the most difficult times. I love it.
this mirrors my feelings, although i got into it at a younger age. it's a very emotional form of music for sure.

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

Nope, never sold a Warlock or owned one for that matter. \'arry \'eadbanger

and now for some Blut Aus Nord

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 am

James B. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Black metal is the same as every kind of music. If you speak the language, it speaks to you, if you can see the colors, they'll be seen. The general style, production, and themes that tend to help make the hallmarks of the style are things that have a place in my emotional palate. It has to be approached objectively, how else does one approach art? Of course, that emotional palate holds things ranging from extreme joy to sadness to hate and love and everything in between. So a great song by Judas Priest or Labyrinth will likely not speak to the same part of me as something from Limbonic Art or Lengsel. Everyone with me so far?

Black metal is also the same as every kind of music in that there is some very good music, and then a whole lot of terrible bands doing genre-exercises. No difference in the good-poor ratio there either.

I'm a born-again Christian libertarian with a life-long deep interest and experience in the paranormal, and have experienced varying extreme degrees of emotional damage and/or addiction. I'm a hyper-aware, hyper-sensitive personality who is a writer and musician who sometimes has to struggle just to manage "everyday life" and the "mundane" things that go with it. And, the only single response a statement like that usually gets is some condescending comment about youth, or a recommendation to shove some Big Pharma drugs down my throat. So, it's safe to say I have a place for all metal.

Some of my favorite black metal:

Blut aus Nord
Lengsel
Emperor
Gris
Limbonic Art
Immortal
Wolves in the Throne Room
Lunaris

I bet your really, really fun on a date

Laughing very hard

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

I'm not a big BM guy but if I'm in the right mood I can get into it. Just not the kind of thing I can pull off the shelf and throw on. One I really like is Enslaved's Ruun. Of course most their fans seem to hate that one.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am

Someone mentioned the hybrid Black Metal...that's more my thing too. When Black Metal is mixed with other influences (like w/ Enslaved, Agalloch or Alcest) I can totally get into it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

The very little I've heard over the years didn't appeal to me. And reading through this thread, some of the elements that people have mentioned that make up the genre (shreiking vocals, gutteral vocals, orchestral moments, folky passages, ambient noise) makes me want to avoid it even more. I don't like that shite in any of my music, black or otherwise.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 am

I used to be really into black metal. I still listen to some now and again but not much theses days.

Some of my favorite bm bands are

Dark Funeral
Marduk
Burzum
Immortal
Impaled Nazarene
Gorgoroth
Impiety
King
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Alcest is fantastic, but I wouldn't classify them as black metal, or metal at all for that matter. It is possible to occasionally use metal "ingredients" in your music without actually being metal.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

and now for some Blut Aus Nord

I really enjoy what I've heard from that band.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I feel like dumping some black metal, guess this would be the thread to do it.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
Alcest is fantastic, but I wouldn't classify them as black metal, or metal at all for that matter. It is possible to occasionally use metal "ingredients" in your music without actually being metal.

Which is why I included it in "hybrid". It has ingredients of Black Metal...but overall is not. That's how I view Agalloch and Enslaved too...but I guess it's in reverse w/ Alcest.

PostSubject: Re: Sooooo, Black Metal...   Sooooo, Black Metal... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sooooo, Black Metal...
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next