Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater

Go down 
+23
Muloc7253
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
TheGooch
thejokeriv
caniplaywithmadness?
Invader
7thSecond
Chairman_Smith
ghost
KissinMaiden
spiritoradio
mc666
the sentinel
INVADERS
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
kmorg
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Dream Theater - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
i like their early stuff but nowadays its just pointless 'look how talented we are' noodling
I disagree 100% with this notion. I will admit, though, that progressive rock or metal takes something of a mature mind—musically speaking—to be enjoyed. Ten years ago I couldn't stand the crap, I could never get a grasp of it all, but then something changed and I actually began to really listen. When that happened I started opening up to progressive music, and now I absolutely love it. There isn't that immediacy with progressive music, though, so you have to sort of immerse yourself into it.

I love progressive rock and metal and totally agree with caniplaywithmadness on this one.

I'm afraid I'm taking Eyesore's viewpoint here. Whilst it's a little harder to get in to, I wouldn't really refer to it as "pointless noodling".

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 pm

I can not express how much I dislike this band. I have tried and tried to like them and see what the fuss is about. They just don't jive with me. To me, and this is just my opinion, their music sounds like technical wank-fests and excuses to show off.

I take nothing away from them, as they are obviously incredibly talented musicians, but I find them SOOOOOO boring it's not even funny.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I can not express how much I dislike this band. I have tried and tried to like them and see what the fuss is about. They just don't jive with me. To me, and this is just my opinion, their music sounds like technical wank-fests and excuses to show off.

I take nothing away from them, as they are obviously incredibly talented musicians, but I find them SOOOOOO boring it's not even funny.

Could'nt have said it better myself
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Wankfest. Smile

I must admit I like 2 of their albums, Images & Words and Change of Seasons. On these albums they have some classic Fates Warning-like tendencies which are attractive to me, but other than these 2 albums, I'm not much impressed. But they are not a band for everyone, however talented.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 pm

While most people (even those who are big fans) have to listen to their albums multiple times to get into them, I for one can enjoy a Dream Theater album at first listen. Before anyone draws any conclusions, I don't know the first thing about the technical aspects of music (writing, composing, etc.). I am just a vocalist who knows what he likes and Dream Theater never disapoints. An alternative to all the bravado and showmanship of Dream Thater is James LaBrie's solo material especially Elements of Persuasion (my favorite album of 2005).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 8:40 pm

Yeah, Elements Of Persuasion and the two Mullmuzzler CDs are damn good. May I also suggest Jim Donahue's Madmen & Sinners album (often listed as that or simply Madmen & Sinners). Labrie does the vocals for the entire album, and it's killer.

The first Frameshift album with Labrie on vocals is supposed to be great, too, though I've never heard it. And his main guest vocals on the last Ayreon was really good, too, though he was overshadowed by a few of the other vocalists, namely Devin Townsend.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am

I was in Target last night and saw that these guys have a "Best Of" disc out. I didn't have time to actually pick it up and check it out. Does anyone have it and is it worth getting? Any cool unreleased stuff or rarities included?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was in Target last night and saw that these guys have a "Best Of" disc out.

A "Best Of Dream Theater?" Wouldn't that be a CD single of "Pull Me Under?" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

A "Best Of Dream Theater?" Wouldn't that be a CD single of "Pull Me Under?" Laughing

Hey-o! cheers

Where the hell is a high-five smiley when you need one?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was in Target last night and saw that these guys have a "Best Of" disc out.

You know, I originally typed Greatest Hits, thought about it, then re-typed it as "Best Of". That's slightly more realistic.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 am

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Hey-o! cheers

Where the hell is a high-five smiley when you need one?

Thank you, thank you folks... I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your bartenders and drive safe!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:28 am

Are you 2 ass-clowns done now?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 am

I think so. Sorry MG. We'll be good.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Actually, DT poke fun at themselves with the best of. It's called:

Dream Theater's Greatest Hit (and 21 other cool songs)

As for my opinion, the last REALLY good album, IMO, was 'Falling Into Infinity'. The next 2, 'Scenes...' and '6DOIT' have good stuff them, but didn't stick...beyond that, it all sounds the same to me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:04 pm

If it has To Live Forever, then I would most definatly get it. One of my favorite songs not availiable on CD yet. Otherwise, I don't really need it, I have all their official releases.

Last edited by DallasBlack on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
beyond that, it all sounds the same to me.

I like to say they sound "samey" just because that's a made up word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
beyond that, it all sounds the same to me.

I like to say they sound "samey" just because that's a made up word.

Knock yerself out... cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Imo, they had two good albums to start. That's all.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 1:25 pm

my favorite is Images and Words and probably second would be Octivarium. Even though not too many people like Octivarium I think its one of their best just because they werent trying to play 1,000 notes in one song every single time. The new album doesnt work with me at all. I usually end up liking about more than half of their albums but the last one kind of bored me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 1:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was in Target last night and saw that these guys have a "Best Of" disc out. I didn't have time to actually pick it up and check it out. Does anyone have it and is it worth getting? Any cool unreleased stuff or rarities included?

Thanks for everyone's input. You could have been helpful, but you've all been so much more.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 1:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input. You could have been helpful, but you've all been so much more.

lol I bought it the day it came out. Its pretty cool but I wish that they wouldnt have did what they did. What they did was make a double cd . 1 cd is of their heavier songs and the other is their lighter songs. They really should have just mixed them together because the second cd gets a little boring after a while. What they also did was remixed 3 images and words songs. I honestly think that they should have really just left them alone. The drums seem to be the only thing that was really remixed but they sound a little too flat and it kills the songs. Theres 1 b side song that should have been left off cause they have better ones that could have been picked and also there are radio edits of some songs which didnt bother me too much because some of the songs actually sound better without all the craziness some of the album versions had. damn that was a long sentence. haha anyway if your a dream theater fan get it. if your not a dream theater fan and you want to check them out its definetly something good to get you into them. Does that help?????
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

lol I bought it the day it came out. Its pretty cool but I wish that they wouldnt have did what they did. What they did was make a double cd . 1 cd is of their heavier songs and the other is their lighter songs. They really should have just mixed them together because the second cd gets a little boring after a while. What they also did was remixed 3 images and words songs. I honestly think that they should have really just left them alone. The drums seem to be the only thing that was really remixed but they sound a little too flat and it kills the songs. Theres 1 b side song that should have been left off cause they have better ones that could have been picked and also there are radio edits of some songs which didnt bother me too much because some of the songs actually sound better without all the craziness some of the album versions had. damn that was a long sentence. haha anyway if your a dream theater fan get it. if your not a dream theater fan and you want to check them out its definetly something good to get you into them. Does that help?????

Yes, that's much better. I'll probably pass on it unless I find it on the cheap. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 3:27 pm

What I don't understand about this band is how everyone seems to see them as just a shredprogwankfest band with no good songwriting. Literally every song I've heard from them, from all parts of the career has been very catchy (bar maybe one, Dance of Eternity, which is a wicked instrumental). I only have three albums - Images & Words, Awake and Scenes From a Memory but plan to track down their whole discography some day.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 4:00 pm

Very solid band. I need to pick up their greatest hits.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 7:06 pm

xyz wrote:
Very solid band. I need to pick up their greatest hits.

GREATEST HIT!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next