Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*

Go down 
+66
Lari
Addy
choosemetal
Runicen
Glower
TrogDawn
mlotek
Thelemech
MetalRob331
MoonChild
Required Fields
akeldama
Joe
chilejay7
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
sheets
ElectricEye93
AutumnShantel
ZombieHavoc
Dellocatus
iamrockerfun
BillRoxx
DevZor
candlemass
SycoMantis91
corplhicks
kmorg
deathisgain
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Eyesore
journeyman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
chewie
ShadowAngel
Lurideath
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Doomedpoet
ozzman
jstate
Troublezone
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
MEGATRON
thejokeriv
exact33
manny
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:39 am

If you are all expecting great vocals, you are absolutely 100% certain to be disappointed, better not to bother I think.

I'm surprised that they are managing to cobble together something that sounds like singing at all after hearing the godawful live songs.

I like God Is Dead, a lot so still looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:42 pm

The full album is now streaming for free on iTunes.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:45 pm

S.D. wrote:
I saw that post on Blabbermouth, but only God is Dead is streaming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I listened to the entire album. You have to go to the iTunes store and click on the promo link on the main page.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I listened to the entire album. You have to go to the iTunes store and click on the promo link on the main page.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Your thoughts?

Initial reaction; good. I have to listen to it a little more in-depth before diving into critiquing it.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 am

My thoughts on the Sabbath after hearing it twice:

Not terrible, but not particularly memorable. All songs are very samey; nothing sticks out. In fact I can't tell you what a favorite track would be. The majority of the songs follow the same pattern. Slow and dirgy in the beginning and then a faster part with the solo near the end. The only exception is "Zeitgeist" which seems like a deliberate attempt to recreate the vibe of Planet Caravan.

Ozzy sounds how I expected -- kinda lifeless. Iommi and Geezer are strong as to be expected. The drummer....I don't know. He fits I suppose. Overall it is a disappointment to me as I wanted this to be good, but it fails on almost every expectation.

Unless you are a Sabbath freak, there is absolutely no reason to run out and get this right away. You probably won't spin it more than a few times.

Last edited by SpectreFate on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:57 am

^ This.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

One of the employees in the other room is cranking this album through iTunes right now. It sounds pretty good. I'll wait for the CD when I can really hear it.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 am

SpectreFate wrote:
My thoughts on the Sabbath after hearing it twice:

Not terrible, but not particularly memorable. All songs are very samey; nothing sticks out. In fact I can't tell you what a favorite track would be. The majority of the songs follow the same pattern. Slow and dirgy in the beginning and then a faster part with the solo near the end. The only exception is "Zeitgeist" which seems like a deliberate attempt to recreate the vibe of Planet Caravan.

Ozzy sounds how I expected -- kinda lifeless. Iommi and Geezer are strong as to be expected. The drummer....I don't know. He fits I suppose. Overall it is a disappointment to me as I wanted this to be good, but it fails on almost every expectation.

Unless you are a Sabbath freak, there is absolutely no reason to run out and get this right away. You probably won't spin it more than a few times.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Also, Brad Wilk has zero swing in his drumming and Ozzy sounds very processed to me.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I wouldn't agree that nothing sticks out, I've still only heard it once but "Loner" and "Dear Father" would be my choices right now.

There are some fine jamming moments on the album and some moments of spontaneity in the arranging that I haven't heard Iommi/Butler do since the 70s.

It didn't blow me completely away the first time through (very few things do), but I definitely enjoyed it and look forward to getting to know the album better.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm

No doubt "Fused" and "The Devil You Know" will prove to be much better!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm

candlemass wrote:
No doubt "Fused" and "The Devil You Know" will prove to be much better!

They are different. Fused I definitely don't consider a Black Sabbath album, it's a Tony Iommi solo album (and I prefer the Dep Sessions EP to Fused). The Devil You Know I enjoyed but again it's a different dynamic with Dio both musically and otherwise. I truly consider Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Black Sabbath with Dio to be completely different bands.

Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 pm

just listenting new "13"
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 pm

I've listened to half the tracks, and I'm definitely liking it. It sounds like classic Sabbath to me; except Ozzy can't sing... but whatever, I listen to them for Tony and Geezer anyways!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Ozzy hasn't been able to sing for a long time but I actually find the vocals to not be as processed as usual.
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am

I think it's a pretty good album. Tony and Geezer are in top form, that's enough to win me over right away. Ozzy is not a great singer but his voice at least has a pleasing tone on some of the tracks and there are some strong vocal melodies. The RATM guy is a great drummer but I'm surprised how much I miss Bill. He really had a unique groove, even if he isn't quite as fast around the kit as he used to be.

It's pretty solid from start to finish, no total stinkers. I'd say End of the Beginning, Loner and Dear Father are highlights. I think anyone who enjoyed The Devil You Know will dig this, it has a similar vibe.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am

I really, really like it

Fantastic record that is what it is, a last hurrah for a bunch of old guys proving that they can still do it, and they can! Very Happy Wish Bill was there but BW does a decent enough job.

Not a classic, not in any way original, but better than I expected, best track is Zeitgeist, love it!

That's about as much as I'm gonna analyse this record, I'd rather enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Ozzy hasn't been able to sing for a long time but I actually find the vocals to not be as processed as usual.

Ozzy could never "sing", but he always had character...

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

...and a keen sense of melody, as I always say. Very important.

Anyway, loving this album and very happy about it. Glad to hear Tony's still not getting tired of writing top-notch riffs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

David Lee Roth heartily agrees. Wink

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

"Zeitgeist" song for me is right now best after one listening album.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 am

OK, so I made it through "Zeitgeist" on the way in to work this morning...cranked loud in the car, I'd say it's pretty strong! I enjoyed it a lot.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 am

so the best buy version has an additional track in addition to the 3 bonus tracks. Going to best buy twice in two weeks i guess.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 am

Entertainment Weekly magazine gave the new Sabbath a "B-" grade in their newest issue...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*
Page 19 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next