Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*

Go down 
+66
Lari
Addy
choosemetal
Runicen
Glower
TrogDawn
mlotek
Thelemech
MetalRob331
MoonChild
Required Fields
akeldama
Joe
chilejay7
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
sheets
ElectricEye93
AutumnShantel
ZombieHavoc
Dellocatus
iamrockerfun
BillRoxx
DevZor
candlemass
SycoMantis91
corplhicks
kmorg
deathisgain
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Eyesore
journeyman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
chewie
ShadowAngel
Lurideath
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Doomedpoet
ozzman
jstate
Troublezone
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
MEGATRON
thejokeriv
exact33
manny
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage
SycoMantis91
Metal novice
Metal novice
SycoMantis91

Number of posts : 15

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:18 pm

The album cover looks stupid and lazy. But I could say that about a lot of good albums. Point is, I don't expect much from the new album, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was really good considering the material both Ozzy and Heaven and Hell have recently put out.
Back to top Go down
http://sycoticsoliloquies.blogspot.com/
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 am

Can't wait 'till this comes out...so we can cover some of it in the band! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 am

The cover art for '13' is no less thought out or "lazy" than these:

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 417H76FB1CL

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH8aIVxn5gWntLQZ_pJYoswnMBXHrZqv5sMZzozLtxKbA3eBt7

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 51EReePHplL._SX300_

If you use Google Images and search "black sabbath album covers" you get the below...in context, it blends right in.

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Sab_co10

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH8aIVxn5gWntLQZ_pJYoswnMBXHrZqv5sMZzozLtxKbA3eBt7

If you use Google Images and search "black sabbath album covers" you get the below...in context, it blends right in.

I disagree completely.

Paranoid, Master of Reality and Technical Ecstasy all convey a message to the listener. Paranoid is a trippy, weird cover that conveys a sense of disorientation, and, frankly, paranoia. Obviously, the album was to be called War Pigs but that wasn't allowed by the label, but the cover still works beautifully. That's a testament to the quality of the artwork itself.

Master of Reality uses the wavy font and the colors black, blue and purple to convey a drugged out, doomy feel to the listener. It works spectacularly and is quite striking, especially in its original, embossed vinyl format.

Technical Ecstasy presents a modern, abstract image to the listener, and forces them to grapple with some new ideas from Sabbath (see All Moving Parts(Stand Still)).

13 conveys nothing to me. It's a burning number made of sticks with a tame font. It's lazy. What story is it telling? Something about brush clearing or yardwork? Who knows?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I disagree completely.

Of course you do.

Watch this:

The '13' image conveys a dark air of witchcraft and black magick that goes along with the dark, doomy feel of Sabbath's music and image. The number 13 is commonly used in Wicca and represents the number of full moons in a year as well as the number of members in a coven.

See...I can write too. Very Happy

Last edited by Shawn Of Fire on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I disagree completely.

Of course you do.

Penetrating analysis as always. Kudos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

Didn't Shawn just post something about everyone being an art critic nowadays in the Megadeth thread? Razz

The original press of Master Of Reality only used 2 colors (purple & black), the title of the album was embossed into the LP jacket. The grey coloring was added for later pressings and CD releases and never looked as good.

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 2959496444
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I disagree completely.

Of course you do.

Watch this:

The '13' image conveys a dark air of witchcraft and black magick that goes along with the dark, doomy feel of Sabbath's music and image. The number 13 is commonly used in Wicca and represents the number of full moons in a year as well as the number of members in a coven.

See...I can write too.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I disagree completely.

Of course you do.

Watch this:

See...I can write too.

Well at least that's better than adding nothing to the discussion. I thought we were supposed to discuss things on a discussion board. I must have been mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

S.D. wrote:
Didn't Shawn just post something about everyone being an art critic nowadays in the Megadeth thread? Razz

The original press of Master Of Reality only used 2 colors (purple & black), the title of the album was embossed into the LP jacket. The grey coloring was added for later pressings and CD releases and never looked as good.

That's the version I have on vinyl. The Rhino Vinyl reissues all revert to the original artwork, thankfully.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

S.D. wrote:

Your Honor, let the record show that I was one of the more complimentary posters of the new Sabbath artwork. I liked it. I am, however, pissing all over that Megadeth cover. Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 352445

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am

In the end, whether it's Megadeth's cover or Sabbath's......why does it really matter? For me, I'll look at it once (maybe twice) and then enjoy the music therein.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am

S.D. wrote:

[/img]

I did. I wasn't critiquing...I was criticizing the critics. Very Happy

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am

How am I supposed to obsess over minutia If you jerks won't play along????? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

This is all we have to work with until Geoff Taint puts out a new press release. Razz

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Track by track review of the new album from a recent listening party:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/202086

I hope it's as good as this guy says!

Who's up for the $75 super deluxe box-set edition?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Well, technically a coven doesn't have to contain 13 members, that bit of misinformation occurred because a 1662 witch trial revolved around a 13 member coven, but there is no set number.

Also, Wicca does not practice "black magic" because their belief system pre-dates Christianity.

War Pigs and Hammer horror films from the 60s got that part wrong.

lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
In the end, whether it's Megadeth's cover or Sabbath's......why does it really matter? For me, I'll look at it once (maybe twice) and then enjoy the music therein.

Yea same here, during the vinyl days, I loved looking a studying the artwork, now adays, even if I love the cover, I do not spend as much time with the cover art.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:44 pm

What I do know is that the riff I heard on the YouTube clip was both bone crushing and vintage. I really am excited to hear this if they stick to those two qualities like they did for their first six albums. Album art is album art, don't judge a book by its cover, blah blah. I'm just glad they're giving this one more (last?) go, as hard as it is to call it a Sabbath album without Bill.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:
What I do know is that the riff I heard on the YouTube clip was both bone crushing and vintage. I really am excited to hear this if they stick to those two qualities like they did for their first six albums. Album art is album art, don't judge a book by its cover, blah blah. I'm just glad they're giving this one more (last?) go, as hard as it is to call it a Sabbath album without Bill.

Its not hard for me, I loved Black Sabbath when the only original member left was Iommi
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Well, technically a coven doesn't have to contain 13 members, that bit of misinformation occurred because a 1662 witch trial revolved around a 13 member coven, but there is no set number.

Also, Wicca does not practice "black magic" because their belief system pre-dates Christianity.

War Pigs and Hammer horror films from the 60s got that part wrong.

lol!

Blame Google...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Technically they practice whatever type of magic you want to call it, because the core of Christianity (the Gospel) doesn't actively refer to most of it, either first or secondhand, - simply because certain churches or leaders call out things which supposedly "belong" to other "religions", their opinion doesn't alter the original Gospels in any way. Therefore, Christianity in a literal sense did not define or alter what evolved into Wicca. Further, it's not up to me to judge Wiccans, (despite being judged 99% of the time), and neither do they have any monopoly on some of their cosmic viewpoints.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 pm

S.D. wrote:

[/quote]

This album cover is brilliant! I've got the original Vertigo box cover and the whole thing just looks spectacular.

The CD cover does look crappy though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 pm

There was a listening party in Los Angeles last night (which unfortunately I missed), however track times have now been released.

End of the Beginning - 8:07
God Is Dead? - 8:54
Loner - 5:06
Zeitgeist - 4:28
Age of Reason - 7:02
Live Forever - 4:49
Damaged Soul - 7:43
Dear Father - 7:06

Slightly longer than LP length but still in a nice comfortable ballpark.

Witchfinder wrote:

I read that guys review and concluded he's a moron (anytime I hear the term "too bluesy" I immediately ignore anything else they have to say).
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
There was a listening party in Los Angeles last night (which unfortunately I missed), however track times have now been released.

End of the Beginning - 8:07
God Is Dead? - 8:54
Loner - 5:06
Zeitgeist - 4:28
Age of Reason - 7:02
Live Forever - 4:49
Damaged Soul - 7:43
Dear Father - 7:06

Slightly longer than LP length but still in a nice comfortable ballpark.

Witchfinder wrote:

I read that guys review and concluded he's a moron (anytime I hear the term "too bluesy" I immediately ignore anything else they have to say).

8 songs. That's perfect, IMO. F*ck reviewers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*
Page 11 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21 ... 32  Next