Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*

Go down 
+66
Lari
Addy
choosemetal
Runicen
Glower
TrogDawn
mlotek
Thelemech
MetalRob331
MoonChild
Required Fields
akeldama
Joe
chilejay7
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
sheets
ElectricEye93
AutumnShantel
ZombieHavoc
Dellocatus
iamrockerfun
BillRoxx
DevZor
candlemass
SycoMantis91
corplhicks
kmorg
deathisgain
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Eyesore
journeyman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
chewie
ShadowAngel
Lurideath
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Doomedpoet
ozzman
jstate
Troublezone
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
MEGATRON
thejokeriv
exact33
manny
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I don't really have a problem with the new cover, it's not exactly awe-inspiring but it's not bad either. I'm actually relieved it wasn't something totally juvenile.

My main complaint is the font they used for the name.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 10793037

Looks like Ozzy's bitten the head off a creature that actually deserved it! lol!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Should of had a "ruler size" phallic sticking out of the flames where Sharon is glancing ?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm

James B. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Should of had a "ruler size" phallic sticking out of the flames where Sharon is glancing ?

Razz

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 pm

That album cover blows as does the font. Clearly the band (or much more likely their management/label) don't understand the importance of the visual aesthetic in setting a mood for an album. This album just screams lazy, corporate crap. Just compare to this to any album cover by Orchid. They get it. Of course, if Sabbath would have just repackaged Orchid's Capricorn with their name on it, the album would be hailed as the greatest comeback of all time.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm

exact33 wrote:
James B. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Razz

I thought Sharon's head was the phallus.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 am

One thing to say about Sabbath's earlier album art--and this is entirely debatable--is that, with the exception of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, none of it was mind-blowing. Granted, Paranoid was a rushed replacement. Sabotage was pretty goofy, the debut was a little creepy but a bt cheap, Vol 4 and Master of Reality were both plain--I don't see why this new album art has to be transcendent (on a side note, Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules had kickass artwork).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 am

The only Sabbath album cover from the original lineup I don't like is Paranoid.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 am

The first Sabbath album art is my favorite cover art ever. I saw it at a very young age but was already into the Hammer Horror thing and it just set my imagination racing. So creepy!

The Paranoid cover was awful!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am

Paranoid was pretty lame. And I'm not dissing the others either, just saying when compared to a lot of other album art at the time, theirs was minimalist. IMHO.

Let's also not forget that the riff we're hearing for 13 is rather swell. Rather swell indeed.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The first Sabbath album art is my favorite cover art ever. I saw it at a very young age but was already into the Hammer Horror thing and it just set my imagination racing. So creepy!

The Paranoid cover was awful!

I didnt care much for Sabotage. Ozzy's pants sick

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39554

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Master Of Reality is a lame cover for a great album. They couldn't come up with anything better than the title in swirly font ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm

007 wrote:
Master Of Reality is a lame cover for a great album. They couldn't come up with anything better than the title in swirly font ?

It was much cooler in the original embossed LP cover, it doesn't translate effectively to a flat CD-sized cover.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Master of Reality is such a lame cover that it's been copied to death!

I've already mentioned that I don't like the Paranoid cover but that's about it for the Ozzy era. I think that Heaven and Hell and Born Again have corny cover art.

Sabotage deserves a demerit because of Bill's trousers!! lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Agree with everyone here except that Heaven and Hell is in my top 10 greatest album art. I seriously wish my wife would let me blow that up to some enormous size to hang over the fireplace. Alas...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 am

corplhicks wrote:
Agree with everyone here except that Heaven and Hell is in my top 10 greatest album art. I seriously wish my wife would let me blow that up to some enormous size to hang over the fireplace. Alas...

The cover for Heaven and Hell was done by the same artist that did B.O.C.'s "Agents Of Fortune", Lynn Curlee.

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 51sMWSE8-kL._SL500_AA280_Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 51bRKmVjHUL._SL500_AA280_

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

The cover for Heaven and Hell was done by the same artist that did B.O.C.'s "Agents Of Fortune", Lynn Curlee.

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 51sMWSE8-kL._SL500_AA280_Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 51bRKmVjHUL._SL500_AA280_
And both are ugly.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

And both are ugly.

So true.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 am

I always thought the BOC cover was a poor representation of the band and their material within. I dunno, I may be alone in saying that Heaven & Hell is way cooler, even if it's just the concept that grabs me.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 am

The Master of Reality cover is an all time classic. I question the sanity of people who say it is lame. Have you ever seen it in all its embossed glory with the complete lyrics on the back of the jacket? The font is killer and the cover is very evocative of a doomy, spaced out mood. Unfortunately, the album cover is a lost art in the age of downloading.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am

I'm going to expect an order from every single one of you upset about no good art nowadays when my record comes out, just so you're aware. Cool
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I'm going to expect an order from every single one of you upset about no good art nowadays when my record comes out, just so you're aware. Cool

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Image810
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:37 pm

That was going to be the double gatefold sleeve, but now you've gone and given away the surprise. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Image810

Meh, there's not enough cape....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39554

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
The Master of Reality cover is an all time classic. I question the sanity of people who say it is lame. Have you ever seen it in all its embossed glory with the complete lyrics on the back of the jacket? The font is killer and the cover is very evocative of a doomy, spaced out mood. Unfortunately, the album cover is a lost art in the age of downloading.

Say what you will, but those kind of covers always come across as lazy. Can't think of anything else to put on it ? I know, we'll just print the title and leave it at that. It may have looked cool on vinyl (which admittedly I have never seen) so at least it has that going for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*
Page 10 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 32  Next