Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Interesting that my wife immeadiately knew this was Queensryche but when I play songs from theGeoff she wasn't sure who it was.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Getting paid tomorrow...think this will be my first purchase of the weekend. I'm just too damn curious.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
..why are my speakers crackling now and then? Ugh. This could almost be released on Frontiers Records.

It's called clipping, using too much digital limiting during the mastering process causing audible distortion.

Yes I know what it is. It wasn't an actual question.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes, after reading Carl Begai's review of the new album at Bravewords.com, I think I'm going to buy it this weekend.  I might even pick up the new Sabbath while I'm at it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
So I got it at teh Best Buy.

- The sound...yes...the mix is very nice, now that I've really been able to hear it, but the mastering, it's less "brickwall" and more..why are my speakers crackling now and then? Ugh. This could almost be released on Frontiers Records.
- Everybody is correct that Scott Rockenfield is really killing it on this one. Great to hear that.
- Good to have Nils K. Rue on vocals.
- It's too bloody short, but there are definitely some songs I keep coming back to, which is a good thing. 'Spore', 'In This Light', 'Fallout', 'Open Road' to be precise. A couple I don't really find much in, like 'A World Without' which features Pamela Moore on guest whispers. Ok? The interludes, zzzz, 'Redemption', still zzz. That has a really good vocal though.
- Certainly worth your $11, all things considered.
You surprise me, sir. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
I'll be hitting Best Buy for that.

neither my local wally world or best buy had it. Off to amazon i guess.

I wonder if that's because it's selling really good or if their distributors were sleeping on the job.

It's selling well - Parker has been posting pics of empty bins of where the album should be on his FB. This should easily outsell FU.

Cool clip from the "release party" show last night - they broke out Suite Sister Mary with Pamela Moore, once again showing Geoff Tate as his solo band of merry men how to properly perform the track live:

How cool is that, huh? Must have been an awesome experience for the fans there.

If the judge is a good one, Geoff will lose this battle in November. Hopefully he can't then appeal and drag this out for years. And hopefully the judge doesn't give them both the right to use the name.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
I'll be hitting Best Buy for that.

neither my local wally world or best buy had it. Off to amazon i guess.

I wonder if that's because it's selling really good or if their distributors were sleeping on the job.

It's selling well - Parker has been posting pics of empty bins of where the album should be on his FB. This should easily outsell FU.

Cool clip from the "release party" show last night - they broke out Suite Sister Mary with Pamela Moore, once again showing Geoff Tate as his solo band of merry men how to properly perform the track live:

How cool is that, huh? Must have been an awesome experience for the fans there.

If the judge is a good one, Geoff will lose this battle in November. Hopefully he can't then appeal and drag this out for years. And hopefully the judge doesn't give them both the right to use the name.

Hopefully he won't be able to appeal - I would be really shocked if Tate was awarded the name - corp law is not at all on Tate's side. At this point, it's really just about how much Queensryche has to pay Geoff to buy him out of the corporation.

I bet that was an awesome gig to attend! That is how the song is supposed to sound - 100 times better than Tate's "The Lizard Mary" version he and his band of hired guns have been playing
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 pm

If they do allow the name to go through I bet it ends up like Saxon.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Cool interview with Parker:

http://www.guitarworld.com/queensr-che-guitarist-parker-lundgren-discusses-new-album-influences-and-more#slide-0

GUITAR WORLD: How has the band been handling the confusion over the two Queensrÿches?

It’s been a little frustrating when promoters don’t seem to know what’s going on. Then there are the times when we see their [Tate’s Queensrÿche] show advertised with our photo, or we get calls from friends saying they’ve heard we’re going to be in town and we’re not. We’ll just try to do our own thing and let them do theirs until everything is settled.

Why did the band decide to name the new album Queensrÿche?

The band originally started out with a self-titled EP, so I think for most of us the title signifies a rebirth of the band. It was a mindset — a “we’re back” sort of thing.

What was it like working on an album with Todd?

The coolest thing about working with Todd is that he’s not just a singer — he’s also a musician. He plays guitar, bass and drums. I’d track guitars and send it to him, and then he’d track drums and send it back to me. It was really convenient to co-write with someone who not only contributes lyrically and melodically but also with instruments as well.

Let’s discuss a few songs from the album. Tell me about “Where Dreams Go to Die.”

That was a song Todd and I wrote, and we actually worked it out over Skype. I showed Todd some song ideas I had. I remember playing a part, and he stopped me and said, “Wait! Just move that progression down one chord and I can sing this melody over it.” Things like that really helped.

How about “In This Light”?

Scott [Rockenfield] wrote the music for that song, and then Eddie [Jackson] wrote the melody along with Todd. Scott used keyboards to get the chord structure down, and then we layered guitars in the studio to make it sound huge.

You joined Queensrÿche in 2009. How did that come about?

Back when Geoff started promoting his wine [Tate is a wine enthusiast and in 2010 launched his own brand, Insania], I was working with him on his solo project. Around that same time, the band had a falling out with Mike Stone [guitarist]. I knew most of their material and was already friends with all of the guys. I heard that their upcoming tour was going to consist of three albums in their entirety: American Soldier, Rage for Order and Empire.

I learned all three of those albums ahead of time and knew all the material before I even showed up for the audition with Michael. When I showed up, Michael started asking me about running through songs. He said, “Oh, you mean you know these already?” and I said, “Yeah, I know the whole set.” Then he said, “Oh, well in that case, here’s what you’re going to need for the tour.” I think he was relieved that he didn’t have to teach the new guy all the parts. [laughs]

Tell me a little bit about growing up and playing guitar.

I grew up in Port Townsend, Washington. My friends and I all played, and I was always in three or four different bands at any given time. I played a lot of different genres, studied jazz and went to all of the different workshops every year.

Who were some of your influences?

Django Reinhardt, as far as jazz goes. Of course all the metal guys, too. I was also a fan of Chris DeGarmo and remember learning Queensrÿche songs back when I was in high school.

Did you ever take lessons?

I always had a guitar teacher and also bought books and went through them from start to finish. I now teach guitar myself, so that keeps me up on everything. Whether it’s working with the band, giving guitar lessons or writing and recording, I usually end up playing guitar five to eight hours a day. Growing up, I would practice to get better, but at this position it’s just what I do.

How does it feel being a part of the Queensrÿche legacy?

At first it was scary being the new guy and having to play in front of people and wonder if I was being judged. But now I see these guys as family and friends. We do everything together. It’s no longer a shock to me.

Has the band given any thought to what might happen after the judge decides ownership of the name?
We haven’t really given thought to it. It is what it is for a few more months. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm

First live performance of Where Dreams Go To Die:

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 am

thejokeriv wrote:
That is how the song is supposed to sound - 100 times better than Tate's "The Lizard Mary" version he and his band of hired guns have been playing
Has anyone figured out what he's really saying there? It's definitely something different from the original lyric. It can't be "the lizard Mary," though it really does sound like he's saying that. But I can't figure out what else it could be.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
That is how the song is supposed to sound - 100 times better than Tate's "The Lizard Mary" version he and his band of hired guns have been playing
Has anyone figured out what he's really saying there? It's definitely something different from the original lyric. It can't be "the lizard Mary," though it really does sound like he's saying that. But I can't figure out what else it could be.

No idea.... I can't figure it out either!
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

http://www.guitarworld.com/queensr-che-guitarist-parker-lundgren-discusses-new-album-influences-and-more#slide-0

Cool interview.  Thanks for posting.  I'm looking forward to buying this CD.  It will be the first one I've even given a chance since Mindcrime II.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Well after living with this album for about a week now, I can safely make these statements. I think the album is the best since Mindcrime and is on par with Rage/Warning. Is that to say this album sounds anything like those albums? At moments it does. It sounds like an album that could of been between Mindcrime and Empire, taking the musical superiority of the EP through Mindcrime era and combining it with the hooky sensibilities of Empire. Is that to say it sounds dated? Oh no. This album is firmly rooted in the new century. Queensryche managed to make an album that sounds like their classic material, yet sounds fresh, new and invigorated! Songs like Redemption and Spore sound very modern peppered with some classic metal sensibilities.

In addition this whole album calls back to their entire catalog. Appropriately enough, A World Without recalls the creepy atmosphere of Suite Sister Mary and features guest vocals from Pamela Moore! Don't Look Back and Fallout sounds like a modernized version of something you might find on their EP or Warning. Open Road even gives a vibe of something from Promised Land. I really feel there is not a bad song on it.

The live tracks are a good bonus if you own the deluxe edition. Queen of The Reich is one of my favorite QR songs, but new singer Todd La Torre really took En Force and Prophecy and made them his own. Todd does a very good job of getting their former singer's vibe, and while occasionally sounding like him also leaves plenty of room to add his own voice. I also like how "new guy" Parker Lundgren wrote one of the best songs on the album, Where Dreams Go To Die. Somehow he was able to nail the QR sound. It is also refreshing that not only has the band accepted his input but have celebrated it.

Now as much as i'm praising this album I am prepared to talk about some of the negative aspects. This album is master way too loud. It does sound great in my car, but on inferior sound systems it can get distorted and crackly. Also lost is the vibe to the classic records, which of course is a problem that plagues all new albums. Does this stop me from enjoying the album? Hell no. I got over these issues very quick. I have seen some criticism of the length of the album, which I personally don't share. My attention span prefers shorter albums.

It is fantastic to see a band that I wrote off as being dead many years ago release something that I feel i'll enjoy as much as their classic cataloge. It is also good to see that as a result, they are rebuilding their fanbase very quickly. Their former singer fired several shots across their bow, but in general, Queensryche's only reaction was to drop a monster of a release and let their work speak for itself. It is a good time to be a Queensryche fan.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 6:31 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Cool interview.  Thanks for posting.  I'm looking forward to buying this CD.  It will be the first one I've even given a chance since Mindcrime II.

This one will make you forget they ever release MC II \m/

Chairman Smith - nice review! Agree with you on the mastering and I can't wait to get my vinyl (now July 9th according to an email from Amazon) - heard an interview with Wilton and he said the vinyl is mastered different and not mastered "hot" (his words) like the CD.

I haven't listened to much else since the CD arrived - I keep going back to it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 6:46 pm

I give the album a C+..... I like some songs alot and others are just average modern sounding hard rock. (call it Shinedown with better musicians) The scales on some of the solos are pretty close to some songs from way back when. Scott's drumming is great for a change but nothing on the album by him showcases his ability. I will cop to liking the album more and more with each listen.

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

I love the new album. Everything from Hear In The Now Frointer on has been very spotty for me. And I wasn't at all impressed with Tate's version. I think this is a true return to form.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:06 pm

And as far as sound issues go, I hear no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 12:58 am

thejokeriv wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Chairman Smith - nice review! Agree with you on the mastering and I can't wait to get my vinyl (now July 9th according to an email from Amazon) - heard an interview with Wilton and he said the vinyl is mastered different and not mastered "hot" (his words) like the CD.

Vinyl is a good idea.  Doesn't Amazon provides a free digital copy when you buy a vinyl album from them?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 1:46 am

JBall_Z wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Vinyl is a good idea.  Doesn't Amazon provides a free digital copy when you buy a vinyl album from them?

Only on some, like Deep Purple's latest. Not sure about this album because the vinyl is set for a July 9 release. Considering a new vinyl release can be upwards of 30 bucks, though, I think the inclusion of an mp3 version is a decent bonus.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 12:58 pm

That's a good review. But..

Chairman_Smith wrote:
and is on par with Rage/Warning.

you know I can't let this one fly, son. QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 382568 QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 37951 
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Ya know, I honestly found most of Toddsryche to be boring.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 4:56 pm

I think that it is what it is. An album that will appeal to the hardcore guys who still love how the band sounded in the 80's.

I can't see it getting them any new fans though.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
That's a good review. But..

Chairman_Smith wrote:
and is on par with Rage/Warning.

you know I can't let this one fly, son. QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 382568 QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 37951 

Perhaps on par wasn't the right choice of words, but in the same ballpark. I was seriously impressed with this album.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 pm

This sucker doesn't wanna get out of my cd player      headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 36 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next