Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Heres a comparison of a few tracks on QR and FU.

Spore
QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Spore_zps9cf89928

Fallout
QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Fallout_zps1756b9a3

Yep, it's brickwalled - saw this on another forum:

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR7 -0.50 dB -11.91 dB 01 X2.wav
DR4 over -6.07 dB 02 Where Dreams Go to Die.wav
DR4 over -5.63 dB 03 Spore.wav
DR4 over -5.58 dB 04 In This Light.wav
DR5 -0.01 dB -5.64 dB 05 Redemption.wav
DR5 over -5.95 dB 06 Vindication.wav
DR8 -2.82 dB -16.83 dB 07 Midnight Lullaby.wav
DR4 over -6.09 dB 08 A World Without.wav
DR4 over -5.17 dB 09 Don't Look Back.wav
DR4 over -5.35 dB 10 Fallout.wav
DR4 -0.00 dB -5.88 dB 11 Open Road.wav
DR4 over -5.24 dB 12 Queen of the Reich (Live).wav
DR5 over -5.90 dB 13 En Force (Live).wav
DR5 over -5.81 dB 14 Prophecy (Live).wav

Averages out to a 5DB of DR...... take out the "musical interludes" along with the bonus tracks and you're at a DR of 4DB, which is Death Magnetic territory.......

Pretty typical for CD's these days - hopefully the vinyl has more DR.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Got a chance to read some of the lyrics - there is no doubt that several of the songs are about Tate. Someone posted the lyrics to Vindication (which I think is a great song):

Look around, on your hi-wire down look down, it's a long way to fall
Suicide, the brink of extinct it's over now
The tables have turned on life's little game
No longer the pawns you're feeling the strain
For we are all kings with merit it brings, as we rise to the top once again

As you look to the heavens wondering where you went wrong
Seeing, not always believing the gavel of life coming down

Traces of the past flash before your eyes
Hurdle the bodies that fed you, the narcissist hungers again
Fear and control your battleground, your truth under a shroud
A forced stranglehold, just do what you're told, as we rise to the top once again

As you look to the heavens wondering where you went wrong
Seeing, not always believing the gavel of life coming down

Sometimes a man's word is all that he's got and sometimes just only a name
No more suffocation, my true vindication, ascending from all the remains
This is vindication
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Some of those lyrics are wrong, but it's clearly directed at him. I'm sure a few others are as well. I have no issues with either side writing songs about the whole situation, as that's normal, but at least this song is classier than "you're their little bitch." Haha.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Some of those lyrics are wrong, but it's clearly directed at him. I'm sure a few others are as well. I have no issues with either side writing songs about the whole situation, as that's normal, but at least this song is classier than "you're their little bitch." Haha.

I don't either - 2013's lyrics seem to be the "working though the crap and rising above it" type stuff as opposed to writing a whole album of FU's to your ex
Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 am

I like what I've heard from the 90-second iTunes samples, but am disappointed about one figure- the total running time. It's only 37 minutes! I'd prefer longer songs, this is Queensryche, not Roth-era VH or a punk band! The guitar mixing is fine, but not steely or smashing, and that ambient feel that the 1980s albums, then Empire and Promised Land had, isn't quite there. With mixing that's either more metallic, or more ambient, this would have been a lot better. No songs stand out, but the whole album, put together, comes off nicely- if only it had better mixing.

The lyrics, largely full of pain, are possibly a reflection of the bad blood in the band lately, and their firing of Tate- a few seem to be directly aimed at him- not such a bad thing, but I wouldn't want it sung by someone who's not even two albums old. If Whip/Rocken could sing a little, he could mouth out those lines. While Whip/Rocken needed to vent their frustrations out in at least one song, I would personally prefer those lines sung by Ronny Munroe, Blaze Bayley, Ripper Owens, John Arch or Mike Howe. Oh well, let's just imagine they're about [insert business leader or politician or attention-hogging non-Tate celebrity here], shall we?

Last edited by Arjun_M on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm

FYI - Deluxe edition is $10 at Walmart and $11 at Best Buy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 am

thejokeriv wrote:

Thanks for that info.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 pm

I'll be hitting Best Buy for that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 am

thejokeriv wrote:

Good to know. Although I think it's worth the extra buck just to avoid going into a Walmart.Cool

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 pm

But what about those pics of you at Walmart on that site.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
But what about those pics of you at Walmart on that site.

They were published without my knowledge or consent. Therefore I no longer shop there. I prefer to shop where the folks are less judgemental of my fashion choices.

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 4974CAKY

Somedays a skirt is just more comfortable, dammit.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 pm

sick
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 pm

I have been listening to the new album a lot over the past week, which is something I haven't done to a new Queensryche album since Empire was released. I think it is a fantastic album! Rockenfield hasn't sounded this good on record in years. After multiple listens, the album turned out better than I hoped.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

neither my local wally world or best buy had it. Off to amazon i guess.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I have been listening to the new album a lot over the past week, which is something I haven't done to a new Queensryche album since Empire was released. I think it is a fantastic album! Rockenfield hasn't sounded this good on record in years. After multiple listens, the album turned out better than I hoped.
It is a great album for sure. Nothing quite as groundbreaking as their classics, but a very solid effort and one that, I think, clearly shows that these guys hadn't lost their desire to create great music, they simply lost/gave up too much control to Geoff.

And you're right about Scott's drumming—it's the best he's sounded in well over a decade. Very cool stuff.

It's one flaw is the production. While it's typical of this era of mixing and whatnot, it could have used a bit more bottom end. Rather balls, if you know what I mean, a little more crunch on the guitars in particular.

But overall, it's a mix that'll only annoy annoying audiophiles.
Back to top Go down
Storm_Rider89
Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 am

Enjoying the new album so far, and I have to say Todd La Torre sounds an awful lot like the Pagan's Mind singer Nils K. Rue, love what he brings to the table. Its awesome he can nail the classics as well, would really love to see this line up on tour!
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 am

I think this album sounds fantastic. I'm not sure though if my opinion is skewered by the fact that a) apart from 3 tracks F.U. is utter tripe or b) there's been a lot of rubbish released under the Queensryche name post promised land that anything half decent immediately sounds better than it maybe is.

I agree with the above comments on the production, the guitars need a touch more bite but its something I can live with.

Todds vocals sound great, Michael wiltons lead work is great and overall this album certainly feels like Queensryche. It's not a return to the glory years, more like it sounds like how the band should have evolved after promised land. A tad too short but that re-enforces my enjoyment as I got to the end wanting more.

Really pleased that this version of ryche sounds like they have enough fire and creative juices to carry on for a good few years which is great as after my first spin of dedicated to chaos this band was effectively dead to me.

Got tickets to see these guys in October, can't wait. I know they've billed it as songs from the first 5 albums I'm hoping they throw a couple of this new platter in.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 3:58 am

They've been playing a few of the new tunes live.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 am

Eyesore wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
It is a great album for sure. Nothing quite as groundbreaking as their classics, but a very solid effort and one that, I think, clearly shows that these guys hadn't lost their desire to create great music, they simply lost/gave up too much control to Geoff.

And you're right about Scott's drumming—it's the best he's sounded in well over a decade. Very cool stuff.

It's one flaw is the production. While it's typical of this era of mixing and whatnot, it could have used a bit more bottom end. Rather balls, if you know what I mean, a little more crunch on the guitars in particular.

But overall, it's a mix that'll only annoy annoying audiophiles.

I would have liked to hear the guitars higher in the mix, but I think the production works for this album.

My only issue is the brickwall mastering - I ordered the vinyl (supposed to be here next week) and I am hoping that it has more dynamic range.

Other than the mastering, it's a great album. Groundbreaking? No, it's more of an evolution of their sound and I no issues with that. I thought the length was going to bother me - it's short but it works for this album. It also has that "Side One/Side Two" feel to it - i.e. time to flip the record over after Vindication.

It's nice to see they can actually write a great album with out DeGarmo.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 am

Wayne wrote:
I think this album sounds fantastic. I'm not sure though if my opinion is skewered by the fact that a) apart from 3 tracks F.U. is utter tripe or b) there's been a lot of rubbish released under the Queensryche name post promised land that anything half decent immediately sounds better than it maybe is.

I agree with the above comments on the production, the guitars need a touch more bite but its something I can live with.

Todds vocals sound great, Michael wiltons lead work is great and overall this album certainly feels like Queensryche. It's not a return to the glory years, more like it sounds like how the band should have evolved after promised land. A tad too short but that re-enforces my enjoyment as I got to the end wanting more.

Really pleased that this version of ryche sounds like they have enough fire and creative juices to carry on for a good few years which is great as after my first spin of dedicated to chaos this band was effectively dead to me.

Got tickets to see these guys in October, can't wait. I know they've billed it as songs from the first 5 albums I'm hoping they throw a couple of this new platter in.

You'll have a great time - I saw them back in March and the show was awesome. La Torre nails the vocals (something Tate hasn't been able to do in 10+ years)
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 am

exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I wonder if that's because it's selling really good or if their distributors were sleeping on the job.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 am

So I got it at teh Best Buy.

- The sound...yes...the mix is very nice, now that I've really been able to hear it, but the mastering, it's less "brickwall" and more..why are my speakers crackling now and then? Ugh. This could almost be released on Frontiers Records.
- Everybody is correct that Scott Rockenfield is really killing it on this one. Great to hear that.
- Good to have Nils K. Rue on vocals.
- It's too bloody short, but there are definitely some songs I keep coming back to, which is a good thing. 'Spore', 'In This Light', 'Fallout', 'Open Road' to be precise. A couple I don't really find much in, like 'A World Without' which features Pamela Moore on guest whispers. Ok? The interludes, zzzz, 'Redemption', still zzz. That has a really good vocal though.
- Certainly worth your $11, all things considered.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 8:40 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I wonder if that's because it's selling really good or if their distributors were sleeping on the job.

It's selling well - Parker has been posting pics of empty bins of where the album should be on his FB. This should easily outsell FU.

Cool clip from the "release party" show last night - they broke out Suite Sister Mary with Pamela Moore, once again showing Geoff Tate as his solo band of merry men how to properly perform the track live:

Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 10:43 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Wayne wrote:

You'll have a great time - I saw them back in March and the show was awesome. La Torre nails the vocals (something Tate hasn't been able to do in 10+ years)

Can't wait to see them live. The live tracks on the 2nd disc of the deluxe edition sounded awesome, Todd sounded brilliant on them. Also I totally agree about Scott, great performance on the new album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
..why are my speakers crackling now and then? Ugh. This could almost be released on Frontiers Records.

It's called clipping, using too much digital limiting during the mastering process causing audible distortion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next