Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Testament Track Streaming!

Go down 
+31
AchrisK
metalhead777
Joe
Troublezone
Grimmo
DallasBlack
The_Jayroh
Gilbert
CRIMSONMASK
Required Fields
Infinite
jettafiend
EmoElmo
Rex
nevermore
chewie
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
Andy
Leatherface
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
adrian
Lari
Witchfinder
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Luckily I knew the only good music store would have it so I could pick it up the day it came out.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 pm

S.D. is pretty much right about Formation. I did think "Henchmen Ride" was a great song though.

This new one (from what I've heard) doesn't leave much of an impression on me either. Gene can play cooler stuff than this. Not sure why he doesn't seem to be putting his heart/mind into his parts as much these days. Are these things tracked over a weekend or something?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Are these things tracked over a weekend or something?

Gene came in very late in the game once it became clear Bostaph wouldn't be able to play on the record. The drum tracks were recorded in less than a week.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Gene also had an interview back in the 80s where he said he didn't even like TESTAMENT's music. I'm sure that impacts what he decided to play.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
S.D. is pretty much right about Formation. I did think "Henchmen Ride" was a great song though.

This new one (from what I've heard) doesn't leave much of an impression on me either. Gene can play cooler stuff than this. Not sure why he doesn't seem to be putting his heart/mind into his parts as much these days. Are these things tracked over a weekend or something?
According to the Making Of videos, Peterson is very particular in what he wants, so Gene just basically played what he was told to play.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Gene also had an interview back in the 80s where he said he didn't even like TESTAMENT's music. I'm sure that impacts what he decided to play.
I think that was more recent. Or maybe not. I know recently he said they were "thrash lite" or something like that.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 am

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I think that was more recent. Or maybe not. I know recently he said they were "thrash lite" or something like that.
It was post-Demonic because he was mentioning having made the album with them in the interview.

And yet he rejoined the band seemingly full time haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 am

Gene is acting as a studio musician with Testament, nothing wrong with that, it's how you make a living. Whether you like the band you are recording with is irrelevant.

He plays fine on the album, his parts fit the songs.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:35 am

What I'm talking about was said last year or so. Definitely not as far back as Demonic. It was very recent, because right after is when he signed up for this album, which I found funny.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 am

Yeah I didn't mean specifically at the time of Demonic, just some time since it
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:10 am

Quote :

Because no matter how many times I listened to Formation not a single song stuck in my head after the record was over. It would sound alright when it was playing, but the instant it was over it vanished from my mind like I had never heard it

I think Henchman Ride and FEAR are good songs. But that's just me...

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 am

Here's the quote:

"Ok, so take us thru your career with some of the bands you’ve played with.

Gene: well, you already know that I used to roadie for Slayer and physically hold Dave (Lombardo’s) double bass drums in place while he was drumming! But Testament was extra cash. I wasn’t even familiar with their music and to me it was corporate thrash. Legacy was underground but Testament was five good-looking dudes playing safe metal and that’s not what I’m into. I like bands like Possessed who for a while were the deadliest band on the planet."

It was from this thread: http://www.heartofmetal.net/t15920-gene-hoglan-on-testament?highlight=gene+hoglan
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 am

At first Gene was just a hired gun. But now he seems to have become a genuine friend of the band. He may also be a little less close-minded to Testament's brand of thrash these days.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:26 am

Troublezone wrote:
At first Gene was just a hired gun. But now he seems to have become a genuine friend of the band. He may also be a little less close-minded to Testament's brand of thrash these days.

That's my take too. At first I thought that this was a recent quote but re-reading it makes me think that it's much older. Gene is very complimentary toward the band at this point and he heaps praise on Eric Peterson in the DVD that comes with Dark Roots of Earth.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:31 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

That's my take too. At first I thought that this was a recent quote but re-reading it makes me think that it's much older. Gene is very complimentary toward the band at this point and he heaps praise on Eric Peterson in the DVD that comes with Dark Roots of Earth.

He even gives Eric credit for getting him to slow down and play less busy. He's much more relaxed these days (but still powerful).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:54 am

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

No, it was back when he was in DARK ANGEL.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:56 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Here's the quote:

Gene: well, you already know that I used to roadie for Slayer and physically hold Dave (Lombardo’s) double bass drums in place while he was drumming! But Testament was extra cash. I wasn’t even familiar with their music and to me it was corporate thrash. Legacy was underground but Testament was five good-looking dudes playing safe metal and that’s not what I’m into. I like bands like Possessed who for a while were the deadliest band on the planet."

It was from this thread: http://www.heartofmetal.net/t15920-gene-hoglan-on-testament?highlight=gene+hoglan

That was only one quote. I have seen other quotes by him against their music too.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:58 am

S.D. wrote:
He plays fine on the album, his parts fit the songs.

Sure. But his playing in DARK ANGEL and DEATH was a lot more than just that. Listen to the beats Chuck had on the Symbolic demos and how much Gene made the overall songs interesting with his contributions.

But he also said he didn't like DEATH back in the day and was able to contribute a lot to their music.

I think it's probably a factor of how much time he spends on the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 am

I think it's crazy to call them good looking.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Here's the quote:

That's it.

See, if Testament were my band, Gene would never play with us again. Screw that.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Quote :
See, if Testament were my band, Gene would never play with us again. Screw that.

Good luck hiring a metal drummer better than him.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
Good luck hiring a metal drummer better than him.
Typically I'd agree with you. The guy is insanely good. But when Peterson is limiting him such as he did on this album, plenty of drummers could play that stuff.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Just got my copy (and the free patch!), I definitely like it more than Formation of Damnation. At times I'm reminded a little of The Ritual, I see Skolnick co-wrote quite a few tracks so that makes sense. Anyways great album!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

Yeah, Chuck is one raw-boned looking individual and Eric ain't no looker either.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Yeah, Chuck is one raw-boned looking individual and Eric ain't no looker either.

I think he was comparing them to DARK ANGEL. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Testament Track Streaming!   New Testament Track Streaming! - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Testament Track Streaming!
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next