Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deliverance fans?

Go down 
+31
SycoMantis91
MetallicSeminarian
deathisgain
corplhicks
bgsully
DallasBlack
Glenn Rogers
Thrasher73
Coram Deo
metalhead777
chilejay7
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Nico
Olafsto
Addy
bassman
Troublezone
Sutekh
rawr!
James B.
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Stender
jstate
Infinite
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
exact33
ultmetal
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:42 am

Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Cut out the filler, and "What a Joke" is a pretty solid album.

Agreed. I just created a playlist on my ipod with "what a Joke" minus fillers (not that the fillers ever really bothered me), and came up with a solid 9 song slab of metal. headbanger

Maybe they should re-release without fillers and call it "No Joke". Lol

Have you heard the story behind What a Joke? just curious

I had wished at one point D would have made a Praise and Worship Album with the songs in the vein of Jehova Jirah , and I also had wished that they did a Covers album I would have loved to hear their versions of Space Oddity (Jimmy had one time posted years ago he did this song live)

Anyhow...... Long live D!!!!! headbanger

Seems like I recall reading something about it back in the day (probably in Heaven's Metal), but I couldn't tell you what it was.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

Lurideath wrote:
Self titled is my favorite,

We very rarely agree on stuff, but I'm with you on that.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
Self titled is my favorite,

We very rarely agree on stuff, but I'm with you on that.

For some reason, while I like it, the self-titled doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Weapons or Stay. I find it a bit too samey throughout. I still like it, but it's not what I reach for first when I want to hear some D.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

bgsully wrote:
Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
deathisgain wrote:

Agreed. I just created a playlist on my ipod with "what a Joke" minus fillers (not that the fillers ever really bothered me), and came up with a solid 9 song slab of metal. headbanger

I had wished at one point D would have made a Praise and Worship Album with the songs in the vein of Jehova Jirah , and I also had wished that they did a Covers album I would have loved to hear their versions of Space Oddity (Jimmy had one time posted years ago he did this song live)

Seems like I recall reading something about it back in the day (probably in Heaven's Metal), but I couldn't tell you what it was.

From my understanding the labels wanted Weapons Part 2 and in short the album was their way of protesting it thats the jist of it. I do like that killer track Cheeseburger Maker Du hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
deathisgain wrote:

From my understanding the labels wanted Weapons Part 2 and in short the album was their way of protesting it thats the jist of it. I do like that killer track Cheeseburger Maker Du hehe

I still don't like What A Joke... horrible album!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

What a Joke's got some quality shizz on it (loooove that Black Sabbath cover!) but the goofball S.O.D. ripoff stuff like "Pray," "J.P.D.," "Cheeseburger Maker Du," etc. should've been left on the cutting room floor.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
What a Joke's got some quality shizz on it (loooove that Black Sabbath cover!) but the goofball S.O.D. ripoff stuff like "Pray," "J.P.D.," "Cheeseburger Maker Du," etc. should've been left on the cutting room floor.

A couple goods songs on the entire album (After Forever, and the re-record of Attack) and maybe the re-record of J.I.G. (from the demo) and that's about the only thing redeeming on the the album (IMHO)....

I just can never get through it to get to the good tracks!
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
Addy wrote:
bgsully wrote:
deathisgain wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Good point about it being an SOD ripoff. Funny how that garbage was in vogue all of the sudden and then gone.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Weapons is my favorite, that album still sounds great after all these years. I love the S/T, the drum sound kills it for me though, the bass drum sounds like someone hitting a trashcan with a baseball bat. Does the remaster sound any better? All I have is the original press.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 1:11 am

Hamer12 wrote:
Weapons is my favorite, that album still sounds great after all these years. I love the S/T, the drum sound kills it for me though, the bass drum sounds like someone hitting a trashcan with a baseball bat. Does the remaster sound any better? All I have is the original press.

I have the remaster and find nothing wrong with the drumming, so I'd say yes. However, I don't have the original to compare it to.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 7:18 am

Hamer12 wrote:

Thats all I have too

I love Its the Beat because at the time it had 2 of my favorite Metal singers together. Theres some gems on that album but I honestly dont spin it very much. Normally when I grab for a D album its either Camelot in Smithereens, River Disturbance, or Learn those would be my top 3 but it all depends on my mood because I do like Stay, Weapons and their ST

How many of you still have your super heavy Weapons Tshirt?

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:58 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Good point about it being an SOD ripoff. Funny how that garbage was in vogue all of the sudden and then gone.

S.O.D.'s album came out in 1985. By the time What a Joke came out (1991), the fad was already long over with. Way to stay on top of trends, fellas!! Very Happy

...but seriously, the main problem w/WaJ is that the band were obviously burned out and didn't have enough strong material to do another full record, so they jammed a bunch of quickie joke songs just to pad it out. It sounds good for the first four or five tracks, then it just runs out of gas.

...which is nothing unusual, Anthrax's State of Euphoria and Testament's Souls of Black (to name just a few) suffered from the same problem. Labels wanted to squeeze as much out of the thrash acts they had before the bubble burst.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm

I thought WAJ came out in 1993
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
...which is nothing unusual, Anthrax's State of Euphoria and Testament's Souls of Black (to name just a few) suffered from the same problem. Labels wanted to squeeze as much out of the thrash acts they had before the bubble burst.

So true. And it hurt the integrity of the thrash scene in the long run.

When PANTERA got heavy they just mopped up the floor with the weak thrash scene that was chasing the commercial $$$.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Addy wrote:

Nope.

S/T - 1989
Weapons - 1990
What a Joke - 91
Stay of Execution - 92
Learn - 1993

and so on, and so on, and so on.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 12:19 am

Wachoo talkin' about Willis. Souls of Black is a great album. Deliverance fans? - Page 4 395375
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Wachoo talkin' about Willis. Souls of Black is a great album. Deliverance fans? - Page 4 395375

I'm with you, but then IMO Testament has never released a bad album.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:28 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Addy wrote:

Nope.

S/T - 1989
Weapons - 1990
What a Joke - 91
Stay of Execution - 92
Learn - 1993

and so on, and so on, and so on.

hmmmm I just remember it was special ordered from me, for my birthday could have been 91 when I got it.... I hate it when the years blend together lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:08 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Ehh, I dunno, Souls of Black never did much for me, it starts off well enough but it runs outta gas four or five tracks in.

Even the band will tell you that it was rushed cuz they were under pressure from the label to get another album out quickly so they could go back out on the road. So it's got quite a bit of filler on it, IMO anyway (and probably the band's opinion too)...

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Ehh, I dunno, Souls of Black never did much for me, it starts off well enough but it runs outta gas four or five tracks in.

Even the band will tell you that it was rushed cuz they were under pressure from the label to get another album out quickly so they could go back out on the road. So it's got quite a bit of filler on it, IMO anyway (and probably the band's opinion too)...

Yeah, and I remember reading that Steve Harris doesn't like Killers (it's why they only play Wrathchild live), but it is an awesome album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Skolnick talks about how rushed SoB was in his new book (which is a good read BTW).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Back to Deliverance........

They were way better onstage than any album ever scratched the surface at.(IMHDO) This in itself is amazing due to the amount of different musicians who were in and out of the band those first couple of years.

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deliverance fans?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4