Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deliverance fans?

Go down 
+31
SycoMantis91
MetallicSeminarian
deathisgain
corplhicks
bgsully
DallasBlack
Glenn Rogers
Thrasher73
Coram Deo
metalhead777
chilejay7
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Nico
Olafsto
Addy
bassman
Troublezone
Sutekh
rawr!
James B.
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Stender
jstate
Infinite
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
exact33
ultmetal
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 pm

And just as I typed that, Who Am I? from Learn came up on my ipod.
Back to top Go down
chilejay7
Metal novice
Metal novice
chilejay7

Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Stender wrote:
Weapons was the first one I heard, but I think I might dig the s/t a little bit better. Both are pretty even to me though.

This.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Weapons, without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm

s/t
Weapons
Stay
Learn
WAJ
I can't make it through River Disturbance. And don't play the others I have much.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Olafsto wrote:
I think i have heard one or two Deliverance songs..... Am i missing out on something extraordinary?

Check out "Weapons of our Warfare". If you don't like it don't bother with the rest.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
I think i have heard one or two Deliverance songs..... Am i missing out on something extraordinary?

Check out "Weapons of our Warfare". If you don't like it don't bother with the rest.

Or check out the more melodic stuff like "Learn" and "Stay of Execution" if you don't like the speed metal stuff like "Weapons" and "Deliverance".

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm

I would recommend Stay of Execution.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks all! I`ll check them out, both speed and melody sounds promising. I had a vague idea that they were more of a traditional Thrash band...
This band must have focused mainly on the US market back in the day, they seem to be fairly well known over there but i can`t remember anyone ever mention them or marketing them here in Europe....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am

The self titled is my favorite.Second would be Weapons.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:22 am

Olafsto wrote:
Thanks all! I`ll check them out, both speed and melody sounds promising. I had a vague idea that they were more of a traditional Thrash band...
This band must have focused mainly on the US market back in the day, they seem to be fairly well known over there but i can`t remember anyone ever mention them or marketing them here in Europe....

They gained a bit of success due to the Weapons of our Warfare video getting a bit of play time on Headbangers Ball back in the day. Also, Lars from Metallica picked the video as one of his favorite videos on some guest VJ thing he did on MTV. As a matter of fact, their record company tired to capitalize on that and added a 'remix' version of the song on their Stay of Execution CD, which just seemed a bit out of place.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 am

Olafsto wrote:

I never heard of them until I started snooping around Ult's site and coming here. If they focused on the US market, I certainly didn't see it in my neck of the woods.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am

They were much more known in Christian circles outside of the one video on MTV...

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
They were much more known in Christian circles outside of the one video on MTV...

Yes, both Deliverance and Vengeance Rising really got the shaft. They never intended to be part of this "Christian only" scene. When they signed with Intense Records back in '88, it was an independent heavy metal label with solid distribution through Enigma/Medusa. Deliverance were actually working with Metal Blade as well. Unfortunately for both bands, they signed contracts that they couldn't escape and the label sold to Frontline Records shortly after their first records were released. Instead of Enigma, and being in all the record stores, they were on Diamante Music Group, which primarily sold to Christian music and book stores.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

They're version of Sanctuary is epic, one of those songs that makes me stop and listen.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Yes, both Deliverance and Vengeance Rising really got the shaft. They never intended to be part of this "Christian only" scene. When they signed with Intense Records back in '88, it was an independent heavy metal label with solid distribution through Enigma/Medusa. Deliverance were actually working with Metal Blade as well. Unfortunately for both bands, they signed contracts that they couldn't escape and the label sold to Frontline Records shortly after their first records were released. Instead of Enigma, and being in all the record stores, they were on Diamante Music Group, which primarily sold to Christian music and book stores.

And that was a big reasons why I left the band... Think Weapons is the best cd... S/T was good, but it was our first time in the studio making a real record... I had only a few hours to record my solo's...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 pm

The debut, followed by Stay Of Execution (my first), and Weapons. I'm actually one of the few who likes Assimilation. The only other ones I have is What A Joke and As Above, So Below.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

And that was a big reasons why I left the band... Think Weapons is the best cd... S/T was good, but it was our first time in the studio making a real record... I had only a few hours to record my solo's...

I would love to hear more of your Deliverance stories Glenn...

I would imagine that many of the Christian Metal bands from back then were a little resentful about being stuck in the "Christian Bookstore" scene when their records should have been in the Metal section at Tower...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Quote :
I would imagine that many of the Christian Metal bands from back then were a little resentful about being stuck in the "Christian Bookstore" scene when their records should have been in the Metal section at Tower...

True dat!!

I've been buying heavy metal music since roughly 1987. Watched MTV and bought all the metal music rags of the day. Yet it wasn't until a few years ago when I found Ult's site and started coming here that I became aware of Christian metal genre. Outside of Stryper, I never heard, saw or read about any Christian bands. We're looking at a span of roughly 15 years that I could have been making album purchases. Especially in the hey day of places like Tower Records where blind purchases based on cool covers alone accounted for 1/2 of my collection. Not being the religious type, I would have had virtually no reason to ever go into a Christian bookstore, forget even thinking of going there for a music purchase.

Talk about poor marketing.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

True dat!!

I've been buying heavy metal music since roughly 1987. Watched MTV and bought all the metal music rags of the day. Yet it wasn't until a few years ago when I found Ult's site and started coming here that I became aware of Christian metal genre. Outside of Stryper, I never heard, saw or read about any Christian bands. We're looking at a span of roughly 15 years that I could have been making album purchases. Especially in the hey day of places like Tower Records where blind purchases based on cool covers alone accounted for 1/2 of my collection. Not being the religious type, I would have had virtually no reason to ever go into a Christian bookstore, forget even thinking of going there for a music purchase.

That's one thing that I never understood. My first real band was a Christian band (Oracle) and we never wanted to play to the church crowd. We played clubs with other Metal bands, even though our lyrics were Christian themed. We were not of the Stryper/Barren Cross "Jesus rocks!" ilk although we were fans of those bands too. We wanted to be on Metal Blade or Roadracer....once we saw that only Christian bookstores were stocking Intense & Pure Metal releases, we wanted to avoid it...sadly, that was near the end of the band after we had gone the "Heaven's Metal" route.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:46 pm

One day Jimmy and I went to Hollywood with our demo to shop it around. No one would talk to us....We went to MCA...Capital,and even tried to find Regency Records...
Someone should do a doc on Deliverance The Story of Deliverance...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:20 pm

At the same time though, how many secular execs were afraid of the christian moniker? Enigma seemed willing but they didn't last long. Too bad, I found Barren Cross at Tower.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

True dat!!

It was horrible marketing and really obnoxious cd prices. My local CBS at the time didnt even have a rock section, let alone metal but so Deliverance (and a lot of others) got classified as 'gospel' which really hurt their sales.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 pm

A lot of it even comes up that way in iTunes..."Gospel"...

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
A lot of it even comes up that way in iTunes..."Gospel"...

i imagine some people get quite a shock listening to Vengeance Rising and expecting Gospel Razz

bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
... Someone should do a doc on Deliverance The Story of Deliverance...

Yes! That would be awesome.

My all time favorite Deliverance album is self titled. I like most of their albums and love Weapons, but I found myself listening to self titled the most.....and I still break it out frequently after all these years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance fans?   Deliverance fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deliverance fans?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next