Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ZZ Top fans?

Go down 
+8
EvyMetal
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
spiritoradio
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Any ZZ fans? I am not a huge fan of their successful 80's releases, but
I love their early material and some of their newer stuff. I've been
listening to "Mescalero" repeatedly over the past few weeks. Just a
great return to form. No dance mixes, electronic drums, etc. It's just
down 'n' dirty, Texas rock 'n' roll. One of the meanest bass tones I've
ever heard. "Rhythmeen" is another excellent newer ZZ release (although
it's over 10 years old itself.)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 2:52 pm

LOVE the Top! I love any blues-based rock, and ZZ Top was among the
best at it. I think I slightly prefer the older albums, but everything
they ever did was good.

Tres Hombres is about their best album, IMO.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Love ZZ Top! I love their '70s output much more than their '80s, but I still like a few of the '80s songs. The best introduction into ZZ Top IMO is this disc.

ZZ Top fans? Zztop

This was my first ZZ Top experience. My dad had the cassette tape the was weird because it was colored blue scratch anyway, it includes all of their big '70s hits like La Grange and Just Got Paid.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Love this band. When they started doing the 80s pop stuff they did it really well. Eliminator is killer, but Afterburner and Recycler have some heavy cheese on a few songs. Antenna was better and Rythmeen was great! XXX is a bit different, but there's some great tunes, and I agree, Mescalero is great as well.

I hope they do a new album soon. One of them has cancer, right?
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 3:28 am

Dusty Hill has a benign inner ear growth affecting his hearing, that he is undergoing treatment for.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
Dusty Hill has a benign inner ear growth affecting his hearing, that he is undergoing treatment for.
Ah, that's right. Hope he gets that sorted.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Maybe it's Radio Saturation Sickness but..... sick ....I suffer the same with AC/DC and some others. I think if I'd somehow never heard these bands ad nauseum growing up they'd be among my regular spins....but alas that's not the case. THAT being said, how everyone is describing the newer ZZ Top (sick bass tone etc...) I might have to explore...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 am

Eyesore wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:
Ah, that's right. Hope he gets that sorted.

Didn't he have some sort of liver probelms as well. Hepititus (sp?) or something?

And I'm with you, Scotty. While I like and respect what they do, too much classic rock airplay has kind of turned me off.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28614

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 4:05 pm

"Hey, it's ZZ Top! You guys rock!"
"Eh...maybe a little"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Lala is a good place to get the ZZ albums. I got everything from Eliminator onward in just a few weeks through lala. The early albums are in high demand, though, so don't expect them quickly. But hey, half a discography for under $20 is a sweet deal.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Last time I looked Rythymeen seem to be out of print and unavailable, which really surprised me. I understand it's an entertaining album, although not anything like their 70's classics.
Similar to what I wrote in the Skynyrd thread, I'm another one who sufferes from radio saturation sickness; we played all the big southern and Texas rock acts to death back then; so while I love an respect them I don't wanna hear 'em no more. Again I get relief these days from the few bands that I didn't know back then that are still fresh for me (Hydra, Nitzinger, Ultra, Point Blank, etc.) But I really envy folks that are just getting into a great band like ZZ Top.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm

I dig Point Blank.

As much as you are sick of ZZ Top, have you checked out Mescalero?

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 am

Does anyone hear a lot of ZZ Top in Clutch? I would love for Clutch to cover a ZZ Top song.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:32 am

mmm ZZ Top, blues rock at its finest.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 4:42 am

Quote :
Does anyone hear a lot of ZZ Top in Clutch? I would love for Clutch to cover a ZZ Top song.
YES!!! I LOVE Clutch and they are a great mix of Hardcore, Blues, Metal and Zappa! Amongst others!

As for ZZ, I LOVE their 70's and EARLY 80's stuff! I HATE their 80's heyday! Always have! They are returning to their roots lately!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17147

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 am

I dig 'em.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:51 pm

some of their 80's releases arent very good, and i see em at the cd store for under $4
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Yeah! But just the music. I don't care about knowing all from them.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 4:28 pm

ALWAYS HAVE AND STILL DO LOVE ZZ. I used to have a bunch of their stuff. I want a beard someday like that too.
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 4:30 pm

T-Roy wrote:
ALWAYS HAVE AND STILL DO LOVE ZZ. I used to have a bunch of their stuff. I want a beard someday like that too.
I've heard somewhere that girls go crazy for a Sharp Dressed Man.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 4:34 pm

LOL, YEEAAAHHH! 🤘
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 2:41 am

a couple years ago, me and my friends all agreed we'd grow out zz top beards. it never happened.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 3:53 am

I once grew my beard to about 4" and what a pain in the ass! Eating a taco was a nightmare! I got more food in my beard than in my belly! HAHA!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 11:42 pm

criss3o wrote:
Eating a taco was a nightmare!

Uhhhhhh....... what? lol!
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 am

Sour Cream and Salsa in the beard!Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ZZ Top fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top fans?   ZZ Top fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZZ Top fans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next