Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap X The Reviews!

Go down 
+22
Addy
Joe
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
James B.
chewie
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
jstate
martinsane
bassman
exact33
Required Fields
allthingsmetal
BearOnUnicycle
DallasBlack
kmorg
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
A Handful of Wayne
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 pm

I was paired up with Witchfinder. I was glad to hear he and I were paired because we had shared some musical preferences over the last six months. I enjoyed the first cd a lot.

1. Aversion - Down This Way

The music here draws a lot from Metallica. Maybe too much. I like the song but i am not sure that a whole album would keep my attention.

2. Battlezone - Overloaded

The first band post-Maiden for Di'Anno. I like the song but to me Di'Anno doesnt sound nearly as good outside of maiden (!) as he did on the first two releases. I know the cd is horribly expensive but I there was a re-release in 2010.

3. Benedictum -Shell Shock

This band got lost in all the power metal albums coming out. I really enjoyed this track and will be tracking down the album.

4. Black Spiders - Kiss tried to Kill Me

Love it. Love it. Great melody and vocals and has some great attitude.

5. Breaker - Still Life
6. Breaker - Action
7. Breaker - Lie to Me
8. Breaker - 10 Seconds

I hadnt heard this band until now. I want to 'Get Tough' on my next amazon order. I really liked the straight ahead metal sound.

9. Dammaj - Smuggler

Some straight ahead in your face 80s metal. The music is mid-paced metal that I like the music but this is one album that could really benefit from remastering. The music sounds is really muffled. I did some research and it appears this is getting re-released from Skol Records in April.

10. Dark Age - Warrior

I had not heard this band before and they are another old school sounding metal album. The vocals are little more on the higher side which works with the music. the biggest drawback is the times the vocals go into the high pitched screaming. Those parts I could do without.

11. Desolation Angels - Valhalla

Old school metal that rocks. I enjoyed this song a lot. I think the singer sounds a lot like Josh Kramer from Saint circa Warriors of the Son. I would like to get this but i am not sure this was released on cd.

12. Diemonds - Take on the Night

I normally avoid female fronted rock bands like the plague but this is pretty good. I like the Ac/Dc/glam vibe to it. The music has some good melodies and the vocals are on the grittier side of spectrum. I am going to look to get this album.

13. Firewolfe - Air Attack

I heard this band back when their album came out. I like some songs but as a whole i thought it was not as strong as it could have been. I saw cd baby has this for a good price so i may pick this up.

14. The Four Horsemen - Back in Business Again

Another band that wears AC/DC on their sleeves but puts their own identity in the songs. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Summary: One of the reasons I like the comp swaps is that I discover all kinds of new music. There are several albums i would like to get from this comp. Looking forward to disc 2.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 5:21 pm

That Black Spiders is great but I thought you didn't like "retro" bands?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 5:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
That Black Spiders is great but I thought you didn't like "retro" bands?

depends on the band. I really like the Black Spiders.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 pm

exact33 wrote:
The first one is great - Babylon rockets rocks!!

I love the cover of You Spin Me Round - especially since that song soooo sucked back in the day.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 pm

exact33 wrote:
I was paired up with Witchfinder. I was glad to hear he and I were paired because we had shared some musical preferences over the last six months. I enjoyed the first cd a lot.

1. Aversion - Down This Way

The music here draws a lot from Metallica. Maybe too much. I like the song but i am not sure that a whole album would keep my attention.

2. Battlezone - Overloaded

The first band post-Maiden for Di'Anno. I like the song but to me Di'Anno doesnt sound nearly as good outside of maiden (!) as he did on the first two releases. I know the cd is horribly expensive but I there was a re-release in 2010.

This band got lost in all the power metal albums coming out. I really enjoyed this track and will be tracking down the album.

4. Black Spiders - Kiss tried to Kill Me

Love it. Love it. Great melody and vocals and has some great attitude.

5. Breaker - Still Life
6. Breaker - Action
7. Breaker - Lie to Me
8. Breaker - 10 Seconds

I hadnt heard this band until now. I want to 'Get Tough' on my next amazon order. I really liked the straight ahead metal sound.

9. Dammaj - Smuggler

Some straight ahead in your face 80s metal. The music is mid-paced metal that I like the music but this is one album that could really benefit from remastering. The music sounds is really muffled. I did some research and it appears this is getting re-released from Skol Records in April.

10. Dark Age - Warrior

I had not heard this band before and they are another old school sounding metal album. The vocals are little more on the higher side which works with the music. the biggest drawback is the times the vocals go into the high pitched screaming. Those parts I could do without.

11. Desolation Angels - Valhalla

Old school metal that rocks. I enjoyed this song a lot. I think the singer sounds a lot like Josh Kramer from Saint circa Warriors of the Son. I would like to get this but i am not sure this was released on cd.

12. Diemonds - Take on the Night

I normally avoid female fronted rock bands like the plague but this is pretty good. I like the Ac/Dc/glam vibe to it. The music has some good melodies and the vocals are on the grittier side of spectrum. I am going to look to get this album.

13. Firewolfe - Air Attack

I heard this band back when their album came out. I like some songs but as a whole i thought it was not as strong as it could have been. I saw cd baby has this for a good price so i may pick this up.

14. The Four Horsemen - Back in Business Again

Another band that wears AC/DC on their sleeves but puts their own identity in the songs. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Summary: One of the reasons I like the comp swaps is that I discover all kinds of new music. There are several albums i would like to get from this comp. Looking forward to disc 2.

Glad you liked disc one! Also, I didn't know that Dammaj album was being remastered. I will jump all over that. Breaker is one of my favorite bands. Straight down the pocket heavy metal from Ohio. Desolation Angels never had anything on CD until a box set was released called Feels Like Thunder which is definitely worth tracking down. Dark Age only released one EP and then vanished and it's never been released on CD.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 am

I said I'd do it and I did. Pt. 1:

Malteze-Blessed Are The Strong
Female fronted (with an edge) classic metal. Great song with impressive guitar solos. I’d like to hear more from this band. 4/5

Pretty Maids-Future World
I don’t have to be sold on this band. With a greatest hits album and the amazing Pandemonium from last year I already know I want more of these masters of melodic metal. I guess I should get the album this song is named after as it seems to be a unanimous favorite of PM fans. 5/5

Conception-Gethsemane
Some grade A progressive metal with awesome vocals from…wait a minute. Of course, Conception! The band that introduced us to the great Roy Kahn. Definatly need more of this! 5/5

Theocracy-I Am
I have liked everything Matt Smith has done with Theocracy at this point, so much that I got a t-shirt of the new album that opens with this epic masterpiece. This and Avantasia-The Scarecrow are two of the best songs, particularly as epics go, I’ve heard in recent memory (considering Tobias and Matt are friends, this is quite a coincidence). Like most of his songs, the lyrics are unabashedly Christian and while I like several Christian metal bands, none quite reach the quality of this. 5/5

Paul Stanley-Live To Win
I am quite familiar with this KISS legend, though I’ve never bothered with his solo stuff (whether the classic or modern songs which this is the latter) but I quite like it! This shall go on my wantlist for sure. 4/5

Laudamus-Lost In Vain
We have some Swedish metal with a guest guitar appearance from Marty Friedman. Pretty enjoyable song but a bit average to my ears. However, after researching the album this comes from and all the guest vocals, this is certainly on my wantlist. 3.5/5

Elegy-Lost
Prog metal with VERY impressive vocals (kind of reminds me of the vocalist from TNT, which appears to be how Kmorg sees it too-according to Metal Metropolis). This song is quite haunting and melodic, just how I like my prog metal. 5/5

Lizzy Borden-Master Of Disguise
I’ve known for a long time that I need to find out more about this classic metal legend. This song re-enforces this knowledge. I understand this is not typical Lizzy Borden, but it’s good enough for my taste. 5/5

Millenium-Power To Love
This song seemed very familiar and not just because of the presence of the mighty Jorn Lande. I realized I got this song on one of my older Comp Swap outings. I remember the album this song comes from being pretty damn expensive so I never got it. Kmorg got this from a best of album so maybe that is more affordable. Great song BTW, awesome melodic metal. 5/5

TNT-Seven Seas
With my love of melodic hard rock, this is a band I NEED more of. I only have Intuition so maybe this is a sign of what album I need to get next. Great guitar work and awesome vocals make this song very enjoyable to my ears. 5/5

Silverspoon-Sink Or Swim
Some more high quality prog metal (me and Kmorg’s tastes are very similar when it comes to this genre it seems). Apparently, this is the only song of this style as Kmorg says the rest is like Ratt and Firehouse which doesn’t bother me as I love both those bands. Vocalist sounds very familiar and that’s not surprising considering this band has members who founded Pagan’s Mind on it. 5/5

Doctor Butcher-The Altar
As a Jon Oliva fan, I should be shot for not having any Doctor Butcher. This song just re-enforces that statement. The intro is a little more bass heavy than what I’m used to with Jon but the rest of the song is more old Savatage than any of the Jon Oliva’s Pain albums. As soon as possible I need to get the album this is from (hopefully it’s affordable). 5/5

Carnivora-The Masters And Their Slaves
Got this album on a blind buy and was very surprised on the pure heavy metal it presented. Unfortunately, during a bad time of unemployment with no money I sold a bunch of CDs but was comforted by the fact I had them all backed up on a hard drive. However, the hard drive crashed so this album as well as several others are gone from my possession and will have to be re-captured at a later date. If I remember it correctly, this was the standout track on that album. 4.5/5

Circus Maximus-Alive
More great prog metal but one I already have in my possession, which furthers my statement of Kmorg and I’s familiar tastes in this genre. These guys and Threshold seem to have a great more deal of melody than a lot of other prog metal bands. 5/5

Equinox-Auf Wiedersehen
A change of pace here as this is one awesome thrash song. However, like the non-thrash songs on here, still very melodic with harsh vocals that still maintain some melody. I prefer my thrash like this as opposed to the constant, monotonous shouting. Of course this has to do with the fact that it’s late 80s thrash back when they weren’t clones of each other. 5/5

Triosphere-Driven
Already familiar with this female led (again with edge-no girly girl singing here) modern power metal band with a progressive touch. This is one heavy song with a sense of melody and I wouldn’t have it either way. 4.5/5

Angra-Nothing To Say
Besides being impressed by this prog/power band in the past, I only have one album. I somehow forgot about Angra but this song jogs my memory. I defiantly need some more. Power, melody, and great vocals courtesy of the incomparable Andre Matos. 5/5

Lethal-Programmed
This is classic metal with a prog touch very similar to early Queensryche and Fates Warning. That is enough to tell you how good a song this is. I MUST hear more! 5/5

Edenbridge-Sunrise In Eden
As I am typing this I am wearing an Edenbridge shirt that I ordered from Europe, so you know I’m sold on these guys and gal. This is my favorite song off the s/t album though the second album Arcana as it is one of my favorite albums in the pretty frontwoman genre (yes, not a real genre I know). I love the melody and the orchestration of this band. This song like the songs on the first Edenbridge albums are not heavy in the least and can barely be called metal but I love it. They have however, gotten quite a bit more heavy in their last two albums but not enough to bring in people who have already written them off, but that’s their loss. 5/5

Griffin-Unbreakable
Back to some pure freakin’ metal with power! This song is heavy yet melodic and makes me want some more. 4.5/5

Loudness-Heavy Chains
Another band I need no pushing to run to, I know I want more from these metal legends from the Land Of The Rising Sun. I have this album with is considered a must have for metal fans. Great classic metal song that shows me that the hype put on these guys is well deserved. 5/5

Powermad-Nice Dreams
Nice to put a sound to the name. Not quite power metal as the name suggests but great classic metal with soaring vocals I should certainly seek more form these guys. Just found out these guys didn’t release much, but I shall get what I can. Also I guess they are considered power metal but to me they don’t sound dark enough to be labeled as such. 4/5

Jorn-Road To The Cross
Jorn Lande. Enough said. Classic metal that brings up memories of Dio and others. This is my favorite song off Spirit Black. 5/5

Fifth Angel-Seven Hours
Some more classic metal from the 80s. Very melodic and quite infectious. Too bad, their albums are rare but maybe I can find a used copy at a reasonable price or if all else fails, download it. 5/5

Eternity X-The Confession
This sounds a bit like Operation era Queensryche. However, quite a bit more progressive as a some of this reminds me of Dominici, Pallas, and Arena. This is song is quite varied and changes gear quite often but does so without sounding like a total cluster buck. A must have for me. 5/5

Helstar-To Sleep, Perchance To Scream
Another band I’ve heard mentioned, but never heard a song from. Great classic power metal song and that reminds me of Morgana Lefay and Sardonyx (with considerably less bass). 4/5
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 am

Pt. 2:

Michael Sweet-All This And Heaven Too
Being a huge AOR fan and for the most part a Christian (though I have fallen away from the faith in recent years-something I’m not very proud of and want to fix), I’m quite disappointed that I can’t find much in the way of that style without paying out the nose. Getting a hold of Michael Sweet’s albums has helped fill that void. This was the first song I heard from his solo stuff in a comp I had and remains one of my favorite AOR songs. 5/5

Jacob’s Dream-Mad House Of Cain
Back in my phase of listening to mostly Christian stuff, I was seeking some good Christian metal. I came across this one in my searches and was lucky enough to find a copy of the s/t debut in a local used CD store (in Florida during my navy years). Great power metal with very high pitched vocals. This song is a dark, doomy kind of song while the rest of the album it comes from has plenty of speed. 5/5

Highland Glory-Mindgame Masquerade
Wow! What we have here is some awesome Euro-power metal with great vocals, melody, awesome guitar solos, and an infectious chorus. I must get something from this band for sure! 5/5

Balance Of Power-One Voice
Came across this band in my search for good Christian metal from Blastbeats.com (before they went to hell). Turns out only vocalist Lance King was a Christian, but that was enough for me. The album this song comes from took hold of me the first time I heard it and has never let go. I love the two albums before this one but this is the cream of the crop for sure. This and Shelter Me are my favorite BoP songs. Lance King’s voice is amazing as it goes from fairly deep to soaring high flawlessly and the song is so melodic yet quite progressive with a signature drum sound that sets them apart form their peers. 5/5

Ark-Resurrection
Anything that has Jorn behind the mic gets my attention. I was lucky enough to find this album used (though at a $20+ price tag) in a local used CD/DVD/Video Game chain in this area, Movie Trading Company. This material is more progressive than most Jorn led material, but I certainly love it (as I do most prog metal that doesn’t sacrifice melody for technical prowess. 5/5

Redemption-Sapphire
Another great prog metal band I’m familiar with (shows how much me and Kmorg have in common when it comes to this genre), however, I don’t have the album this song comes from. This of course has the legendary Fates Warning vocalist, Ray Alder and you know you’re going to have very impressive vocals. This is very haunting melodic heavy music which is my favorite thing to hear in my prog. It’s also noteworthy as it is quite a long song but doesn’t get old or stale in the least. 5/5

Messiah Force-White Knight
Even more classic metal that approaches speed metal with power tendencies. One thing that separates them from their peers is the presence of a female vocalist. Just like the others in this comp swap she has an edge to her voice. This is just another example of great 80s metal that sits in obscurity but should sit in my collection. 5/5

Hirax-El Rostro de la Muerte
Brutal thrash with unique vocals and fantastic guitar work from Christian metal legend Glenn Rogers (his counterpart, Lance Harrison ain’t no slouch on the axe either. This song absolutely kills as does the album with the same name. I like how the vocalist is manages to have a sense of melody (little as it is) and is a cut above your typical brutal thrash yeller. 5/5

Riot-Fall Before Me
American heavy metal at it’s finest. In recent years I started a Riot collection after knowing about them for many years. This was a fine 2011 album that, while not ranking very high on my list, was not a slight as 2011 was just a very strong year. 4/5

Crimson Glory-In Dark Places
When I hear people talk about power metal like early Savatage and Metal Church, this is a band that comes up quite frequently. Why I haven’t gotten anything is a mystery, but of course my wantlist could stretch around the world. I can hear why these guys are in such high regard as this song is a great example of true power metal. Dark, melodic, and heavy with soaring vocals that still manage to come to earth (in other words this guy had quite a range). 5/5

TNT-Intuition
Now this is the TNT music I’m familiar with. Most of my CD shopping is done at used stores and this is the only TNT album I’ve ever found which is why I don’t have more. Not much more I can say that what I said about the other song except it’s closer to AOR than melodic hard rock (i.e. the heavy keys). I remember being a little annoyed with how high the vocalist sings but it quickly grew on me with the awesome music. 5/5

Witchhammer-Enola ga-hey
Now this is speed/thrash metal with a touch of power. I love my thrash to have melody and a vocalist that can sing instead of shout (though it tends to be more power than regular thrash. I certainly need to get this! 5/5

Liberty & Justice-Independence Day
One of the few modern melodic hard rock bands/artists in the Christian music scene. Icing on the cake is the laundry list of guest vocalists on this particular song, I’m not familiar with the vocalist (or at least I don’t recognize him) and the music is mostly acoustic. Aside from this, the vocalist is really good as is the music. I only have Light It Up and need to get more. 5/5

Artch-Metal Life
Here we have some more great classic power metal. I actually found the album this song is from at a used CD store for fairly cheap ($6) after recognizing it from Metal Metropolis. Harsh yet melodic vocals with a backdrop of great metal with a sense of melody. 4.5/5
Agent Steel-Rager
Another classic power metal song with great soaring, sometimes harsh vocals with a backdrop of dark & heavy yet melodic music bordering on speed metal. The music style to me is very similar to Metal Church and Sardonyx. 4.5/5

In Vain-Wayakin (The Guardian Spirit Of The Nez Perce)
Here we have some dark, somewhat progressive metal with a Native American vibe to it. This song I’m having a hard time to describe so all I can say is that I’m VERY impressed and want to seek these guys further. Turns out these guys have some black metal tendencies and I’d also say , at least from this song, some doom. None of that turns me away as black vocals don’t bother me, especially with great music behind it. I just read a review where someone compares them to Borknagar which just makes it more intriguing to me. 5/5

Lethal-What They’ve Done
Another song from the above classic metal band. I said I need to hear more, and Kmorg has obliged me. Just as strong as the other track. Must add to wantlist (mentally, not physical-though this comp swap is forcing me to probably start one. 5/5

Rockstar Superstar Project-One Day (At A Time)
This is some sort of music project with a mission to combat addiction. I like this because it features my favorite vocalist of all time, Zak Stevens. Very admirable mission and I must see about contributing to this cause by buying the music. Not sure how to describe this song, but it is quite enjoyable. 4/5

Mass-Call Out Your Name
Here we have haunting melody and impressive vocals though not particularly heavy. This song sounds like a mellow Dokken song. Very melodic and infectious with impressive guitar solos. 4/5

Riot-Insanity
Another song from the most recent Riot album. Not much to say about this song, though I like it better than the other one. This one is more melodic and infectious and probably one of the best tracks off that album. 5/5
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm

exact33 wrote:

I have the album that's from available for trade if you're interested. It's one of those Locomotive Records promo copies. Single sheet insert with full cd and back insert in a jewel case.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fifth Angel-Seven Hours
Some more classic metal from the 80s. Very melodic and quite infectious. Too bad, their albums are rare but maybe I can find a used copy at a reasonable price or if all else fails, download it. 5/5
Time Will Tell is probably my 2nd favorite album of all time - it is that good. If you liked it you also may be interested in James Byrd (axeman on the first Angel album) solo band Atlantis Rising, their first in particular. Closer to hard rock\AOR and a vocalist sounds strange at times, but still:
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

The comps are getting better as they go, Martinsane =o)

CD 4

1.Antiseen- Guns Ablazin
I've heard of these guys a long time ago. I remember them sounding different than this but I could be wrong it was so long ago. The vocalist sounds so similar to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I've always wanted to check more into this band I think eventually I will.

2.Apostles- I Could Be Anything
3.Apostles- Shelter
I really liked the first song "I Could Be Anything". It kind of reminded me of Mother Love Bone. "Shelter" was ok but didn't have the same impact as the first song. I'd like to see what else they have.

4.April Wine- Just Between You and Me
I've seen this name mentioned a few times, never heard their music before. Not bad sounds like B.O.C. a little bit. I'm not 100% sold on it but I don't hate it. I'd like to see what else they have as well.

5.Aprilz Fools- Two Daze Gone
6.Aprilz Fools- Little Mz Teaser
Reminds me a little like a bad version of Poison and it doesn't get any worse than Poison for me lol.

7.Archer- Queen Bitch
8.Archer- Dance Of The Gone
9.Archer- Up And Gone
Female fronted rock....I wasn't thinking of that kind of band with the name Archer. Anyway Couldn't really get into this one. The singer isn't bad but the music didn't really do much for me except theres a guitar solo in the beginning of "Dance Of The Gone" that sounds like Panteras Cowboys From Hell.

10.Argonaut- Ride On Your Rodeo!
11.Argonaut- Grady Style
12.Argonaut- Neanderthong
Stoner Metal? Sounds a little like Cathedral at times. It also sounds like something else but I can't put my finger on it. I can hear it in my head but just can't get it out. This sounds very familiar....ah... the song "Grady Style" sounds a little Danzig-ish. Not bad I'll have to check into them.

13.Army Boot Ballet- Holiday
14.Army Boot Ballet- Immagination
15.Army Boot Ballet- Little Tin Gods
Another female fronted rock band. Not crazy about this one either. The music is pretty weak.

16.The Arrivals- Analee
17.The Arrivals- Dirty Inches
18.The Arrivals- Nothern Hospitality
19.The Arrivals- Heart In The Right Place (Acoustic)
A punk band. I like some punk but not all. Probably the most punk I get is Misfits and the Ramones. I haven't heard another punk band do what they accomplished.

20.Ashland- Outsider Eyes
21.Ashland- Pandora's Box
Somewhat Rush sounding not bad. I'll have to check out some more of these guys too. Again not a huge fan of instrumental songs which is what "Pandora's Box" is but still it was an interesting listen.

Last edited by Phoenix Reign Drummer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 7:15 pm

What April Wine song was on it?

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 am

I've got chewie's discs here ready to go, just gotta get my ass to the post office...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I've got chewie's discs here ready to go, just gotta get my ass to the post office...

Same here. Metalken's discs are ready to be shipped via dog sled to the Great White North as soon as I get off my duff.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Fixed it... but it was "Just Between You And Me"

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

CD 2 is the melodic rock disc from HoM’s own Voice Of Melodic Rock & Metal, Shawn Of Fire.

1. Signal – Arms Of A Stranger
11. Does It Feel Like Love?

Never heard of this band, but they are a Bulgarian band popular in the 80’s and early 90’s. The first song is pure melodic rock and sounds like it could be on the soundtrack of an 80’s movie where the male lead is thinking about a lost love.

Second song is a mid paced melodic track. Both songs were good, the singer has a great voice.

2. Crush 40 – Into The Wind, 12. Learn & Live
This song made me feel like picking up my son’s DSI and playing a Sonic game… In all seriousness, Crush 40 is a Japanese-American hard rock band that was called Son Of Angels before changing their name. They are most known for writing music for the Sonic The Hedgehog series of games. Since I’ve never played the games, this band was new to me. The song was a good song and I liked it, very 80’s sounding track.

3. Hartmann – Coming Home To You, 14. Alive Again
German Melodic hard rock from Oliver Hartmann (At Vance, Avantasia). The first song sounds like something Richard Marx would have released. The second one sound like a bit more hard rock than the first - just not clicking with me.

4. Alfonzetti – Better Than Goodbye
15. Out In The Cold
Alfonzetti is a Sweedish hard rock band named after singer Matti Alzonzetti. The music is more melodic pop rock than melodic hard rock. While he has a great voice, not a big fan of these two tracks.

5. Prophet – Can’t Hide Love
Described as American Melodic Rock from New Jersey on Wikipedia. Former members seemed to have better success with other band they joined, mainly Danger Danger. This one is a good song, not great and would fit into the Arena Rock tag.

6. Radar – Yours Tonight, 16. Shot Down
Couldn’t find anything about this band, but this track sounds like 80’s era Heart with bit of Vixen mixed in. Not as good as Heart and this one didn’t interest me in exploring any further.

7. The Vu – Who You Gonna Believe?
17. Keys To City

More Richard Marx style 80’s melodic rock. The singer has a bit of rasps to his voice, almost Bryan Adams like but not as raspy. More of a one pack a day habit of Marlboro lights as opposed to Adam’s 4 pack a day of Marloboro Red’s voice. I can hear a bit of Journey 80’s style in this band. The band also has a Journey connection, with Ross Valory on bass guitar. The songs weren’t bad, but I would need to hear more before I bought any of their CD’s.

8. Fredricksen/Denander – Let Him Go, 13. Crossing Over
Band that features Tommy Denander on guitar and Fergie Frederiksen on vocals. From what I found, Tommy is a primarily a session musician and Fergie is one of those singers that never quite hit the big time despite his stints with Angel and Toto (performing on their Isolation album and beating out Eric Martin for the spot). I might have to see if I can find this one on Spotify to see if the albums are worth tracking down.

9. Reb Beach – Masquerade
Good guitar playing from Winger/Dokken/Whitesnake axe man Reb Beach. I am interested in finding this one on DVD. Less Melodic Rock than the rest of disc.

10. 220 Volt – Eye To Eye, 18. I’m On Fire
80’s Swedish Metal band and I like it, adding to the want list.

Overall, a decent comp of melodic rock. I liked a lot of the songs but realized that I need to be in the right mood for this style of music, which is why this one took so long to review. I wanted to give the songs a proper chance and had to wait until I was in the right mood!

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Signal - not a Bulgarian band...American. Singer is Mark Free who was also in King Kobra & Unruly Child.

Crush 40 - The singer here is Johnny Geioli from Hardline.

6. Radar – That's Pamela Moore from Queensryche.

7. The Vu – This is current/former members of Journey...featuring Kevin Chalfant and Ross Vallory (Journey) with Prairie Prince (Tubes), Tim Gorman (The Who) and Stef Burns (Y & T).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Signal - not a Bulgarian band...American. Singer is Mark Free who was also in King Kobra & Unruly Child.

Crush 40 - The singer here is Johnny Geioli from Hardline.

6. Radar – That's Pamela Moore from Queensryche.

7. The Vu – This is current/former members of Journey...featuring Kevin Chalfant and Ross Vallory (Journey) with Prairie Prince (Tubes), Tim Gorman (The Who) and Stef Burns (Y & T).

Looks like I found the wrong Signal! There is a bulgarian band named Signal too!

Thanks for the other info - I didn't realize that Radar was Pamela Moore!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I have received allthingsmetal's comp; review to come soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Review of CD #5. Sorry this one was harsh. Sad

CD5
1.AKSS- Terror Factor
2.AKSS- Shred Me
Was not into this band at all. The songs themselves just didn't do anything for me.

3.Eleanor Academia- Alone
4.Eleanor Academia- Middle Child
I have nothing against female fronted rock bands but as with I think all the bands like this that have been on these comps I just don't like and I think this one I dislike the most. The first song "Alone" the singer does this stuttering thing when she says G-G-G-Gone. So annoying! lol... The next song "Middle Child" is just horrible all around, its just all stupid.

5.Julian Angel- Sucker Punch
6.Julian Angel- Give The Radio Back
7.Julian Angel- What Goes Up
This one is sort of an industrial pop rock band. The vocalist sort of sounds like Alice Cooper a little bit, but he's not as good.I didn't like the first song "Sucker Punch". "Give The Radio Back" was a better. I liked the Chorus. This sounded like something I just can't put my finger on it. The third song "What Goes Up"goes back to the first song being not as good. Maybe if they had more songs like "Give The Radio Back" I'd give this another shot. Otherwise these songs didn't do much for me.

8.Autumn Lords- Technicolors On 8 Track
9.Autumn Lords- Easy Vendetta
I looked this band up cause I didn't now how to describe it more than just a hard rock band but Cdbaby describes them as Southern Flavored Hard Rock with Glam Rock Vocals but that description doesn't fit. Either way I wasn't into it.

10.The Auters- Lenny Valentino
An Alternative Rock band. Not bad but nothing that really stood out.

11.Aurora- Backseat Lover
12.Aurora- Redlight Romantic
13.Aurora- White Liar
You're killing me with these female fronted bands lol. This one though is probably the best out of all of them on these comps. This one is 80's sounding all the way. I can tollerate this one haha. "Backseat Lover" Is a cool song.I wasn't sure about the second song (which you messed up the song list again BTW lol) "Redlight Romantic" but it actually got pretty decent once the song kicked in. "White Liar was ok but not as catchy as the others. Basically this band sounds like something cheesy from an 80's movie when someone goes to a club, this band would be playing. It's good for what it is. I woudln't go out and search for this cd but I enjoyed these songs.

14.Atomic Outlaws- Supergirl
15.Atomic Outlaws- Who You know
16.Atomic Outlaws- Not Words
Very up beat band that does Rock N Roll pretty well. I'm not sure that this vocalist fits with this band though. He kind of reminds me of Bo Bice or something. He has that southernish sounding voice, but what do I know haha. Again with this band good stuff but not enough for me to run out and get the album.

17.Atom Seed- What You Say
18.Atom Seed- Shake That Thing
19.Atom Seed- Bitchin'
Henry Rollins wanna be's haha. I wasn't liking it at first it was a little funky, but I kept listening to the songs over and over and it was growing on me. Very Henry Rollins/Red Hot Chili Peppers sounding. Good after a few listens. Maaaaaaaaybe I'll check more into these guys I see they only have 2 albums and a bunch of EPs.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm

And Lastly we have the final cd!

CD 6

1.Astral Groove- Heart Of Stone
2.Astral Groove- Heart Of Stone
3.Astral Groove- Snowblind

The name of the band pretty much sums these guys up as being a Groove Rock Band. The vocalist has sort of a raspy voice which can be cool with certain types of music and bands, but for me he just doesn't sound good with this band. His voice kind of annoyed me. I didn't care for the music either too bluesy groove rock for me.

4.Astronomy- Polaris
5.Astronomy- New Day
These guys remind me of Saga/Rush but they just aren't as good. I like the music but the vocals sound a bit odd and the lyrics on the first song....."Love You, Leave Me" being repeated over and over again just kill it. The song finally opens up into something else but its not enough to keep me interested. "Dusty Roads" has a sort of Rush/Van Halen feel to it. Again the music is good but the vocals and lyrics kill this.

6.ASG- Feeling Good Is Good Enough
7.ASG- Dusty Roads
8.ASG- Killers For Hire
The music sounds just like Volbeat. The vocals are kind of weak. I would probably like this a lot more with stronger vocals or if this was just Volbeat all together haha. The songs were good though.

9.AKA- Save Yourself
10.AKA- Dancin' With Desire
11.AKA- Living In A Crazy World
12.AKA- Sea Of Dreams
13.AKA- Ride like The Wind
Basic Hard Rock band. I was hoping to at least like 1 of these songs but I didn't. They weren't bad just nothing new that I haven't heard before. The songs didn't really do much for me.

14.Aesthesia- H.E.A.V.Y.
15.Aesthesia- High Octane
16.Aesthesia- Born To Rock
17.Aesthesia- Raisin' Hell
Another Hard Rock band. With the first song being called "HEAVY" I was expecting a HEAVY song but its just Hard Rock. I didn't like the chorus on "High Octane". "Born To Rock" sounds exactly like how it would sound and "Raisin' Hell" starts off heavy but just falls flat when it kicks in.

So thats it. Sorry I had to end it on a sour note but like I always say, I can't like everything. Yes I'm extremely picky but I can't just listen to anything, and just be happy. I need a band to have everything that appeals to my ears. It has to really get my attention to get me excited. Terry did a pretty good job for his first time in a comp swap. I'm sorry I had to be the first person you did this with but don't worry not everyone is as picky as me lol. I did find some cool bands though and I really enjoyed the experience. Thanks Terry (Martinsane)!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Ugh. One of the worst songs they've ever done. Boring ballad that of course was a major hit.

I was afraid of that. Try these (forget the dated video):

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:

I'm still fine tuning yours Laughing . Trying to get it down to two is cds tough! Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 395375
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Ugh. One of the worst songs they've ever done. Boring ballad that of course was a major hit.

I was afraid of that. Try these (forget the dated video):

haha I liked the song that was on the comp. I liked "sign of the gypsy queen" the others were ok.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Why am I not surprised. Repeat note to self. Razz

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:27 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Why am I not surprised. Repeat note to self. Razz

Laughing very hard I was going to write something but I'll just keep it at Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap X The Reviews!
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next