Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap X The Reviews!

Go down 
+22
Addy
Joe
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
James B.
chewie
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
jstate
martinsane
bassman
exact33
Required Fields
allthingsmetal
BearOnUnicycle
DallasBlack
kmorg
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
A Handful of Wayne
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:29 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
And Lastly we have the final cd!

So thats it. Sorry I had to end it on a sour note but like I always say, I can't like everything. Yes I'm extremely picky but I can't just listen to anything, and just be happy. I need a band to have everything that appeals to my ears. It has to really get my attention to get me excited. Terry did a pretty good job for his first time in a comp swap. I'm sorry I had to be the first person you did this with but don't worry not everyone is as picky as me lol. I did find some cool bands though and I really enjoyed the experience. Thanks Terry (Martinsane)!

Thanks Wayne and I am quite glad to be a part of the swap, hopefully you got to know some bands that you hadn't heard or heard of (I tried to keep it obscure-ish and WAY of the mainstream pallet)(A good many of those bands are from the Pacific NW area, Aurora, Atomic Outlaws, Army Boot Ballet, Aggressive Nature, to name a few). Now I get/got a better idea of what the CS group is "more" into.
I have not had a proper moment to spin your discs, but after reading the titles I can say that I have and like many of the bands on the discs.

Here is another link to that Apocolypse disc http://www.metal-treasures.com/search/label/Apocalypse%20%28US%29

and this is my favorite April Wine song (even though these guys are amazing, underrated in the RnR community and their catologue is pretty s#!t hot as a whole:
https://youtu.be/YlcY_enzwmI

Reveiws to follow soon, I hope. Smile
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 am

chewie wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I've got chewie's discs here ready to go, just gotta get my ass to the post office...

I'm still fine tuning yours Laughing . Trying to get it down to two is cds tough! Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 395375

lol! I had to hurry up and burn yours! I had a nice trim 12 songs, and ended up adding 2 more to each disc. I'd listen to something and think "F*** yah! I GOTTA add that!" I would have ended up doing ANOTHER disc if I didn't go ahead and stop myself! Laughing

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm

martinsane wrote:
And Lastly we have the final cd!

So thats it. Sorry I had to end it on a sour note but like I always say, I can't like everything. Yes I'm extremely picky but I can't just listen to anything, and just be happy. I need a band to have everything that appeals to my ears. It has to really get my attention to get me excited. Terry did a pretty good job for his first time in a comp swap. I'm sorry I had to be the first person you did this with but don't worry not everyone is as picky as me lol. I did find some cool bands though and I really enjoyed the experience. Thanks Terry (Martinsane)!

Thanks Wayne and I am quite glad to be a part of the swap, hopefully you got to know some bands that you hadn't heard or heard of (I tried to keep it obscure-ish and WAY of the mainstream pallet)(A good many of those bands are from the Pacific NW area, Aurora, Atomic Outlaws, Army Boot Ballet, Aggressive Nature, to name a few). Now I get/got a better idea of what the CS group is "more" into.
I have not had a proper moment to spin your discs, but after reading the titles I can say that I have and like many of the bands on the discs.

Here is another link to that Apocolypse disc http://www.metal-treasures.com/search/label/Apocalypse%20%28US%29

and this is my favorite April Wine song (even though these guys are amazing, underrated in the RnR community and their catologue is pretty s#!t hot as a whole:
https://youtu.be/YlcY_enzwmI

Reveiws to follow soon, I hope. Smile

Yea I did find some cool bands I will check into. I was going to put some more lesser known bands on your comps but I never know what anyone has or doesn't have so I kind of did a mix. Hopefully there is something that you don't have or haven't heard of on those cds lol.

That was a good April Wine song you posted. Funny though that must have been the place of choice to film a video in Canada. Thats the same place Rush did theirs too lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Wow, DallasBlack! I seem to have hit a homerun with my comp this time! You loved just about everything, cool.

I'll be doing the rest of the songs you sent me soon. I have a week off from work for Easter, so I will have some spare time.

I can't believe martinsane managed to squeeze 6 CD's worth of songs just using bands starting with the letter A!!!! Laughing

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm

kmorg wrote:
Wow, DallasBlack! I seem to have hit a homerun with my comp this time! You loved just about everything, cool.

I'll be doing the rest of the songs you sent me soon. I have a week off from work for Easter, so I will have some spare time.

I can't believe martinsane managed to squeeze 6 CD's worth of songs just using bands starting with the letter A!!!! Laughing

lol! yea i was a little surprised myself

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 am

ALRIGHT!!! Reveiw of disc #1. Which I enjoyed thoroughly, no offense Wayne, but my musical binders are non existant so I can find something redeamable in most tunes. Smile

I starred the bands that are new to me.

*Iron Savior-No Guts No Glory; YES! Excellent hard rock-ish 80's metal, great singer and an excellent solo. Don't have anything from these guys, so many thanks for the intro!

Jorn-Rock N Roll Angel; Can't say anything but positive things about Jorne. The guy sings like mad, does a mean DIO and this song could easily be a lost DIO track!

*Manticora-The Twilight Shadow; excellent proggy metal ala Dream Theatre, Savatage vibe too. Very technical and quite good.

Rage-Don't Fear The Winter; Always have dug this vein of hard rock/heavy metal and Rage are a staple for me. Great metal voice, smoking guitar and a whole grip of double kick drumming!

*Subvision-Beyond The Moon; This band was a tasty lil' switch up after all the metal. GOOD band with a alt rock Replacement vibe, nice twangy guitar and a real solid singer. Got to dig deeper into this band and add them to the archives.

*Magna Cart Cartel-Metropilis Fur; Effects on the vox killed this one for me. I dig the whole Psych Furs, Simple Minds vibe the musicians threw down, but the whispery layered vocals did the music no favors. Curious if other tracks from these guys go down easier with a different vocal mix?

*Ghost-Ritual; Thought at first this might be the Scandi hard rock band I have, but no sir. This is a kookie 70's Sabbathy meets Alice In Chains meets the Cramps with some great metal guitar work and some seriously sreaming good metal vox thrown in around the ambiant goth metal. Need to hear more!

Mercyful Fate-A Dangerous Meeting; The King and I don't mean Elvis, Diamond can belt and his tunes and accompyaning musicians are superb. Love me some King be it with the Fate or solo.

*Leif Edling-My Black Birthday; some nifty lil 1/2 spoken work, 2/3rds goth metal rolled up in a vintage Misfits/Candlemass corn tortilla, makes tune a good listen. Was unaware of Leif's solo endeavors. Another to delve deeper into.
Candlemass-Of Stars And Smoke; Another staple band with some down trodden metal goodness. Vox and musically are always a treat with CM.

Jag Panzer-Sworn To Silence; JP is one of those under the radar NY style trash bands that everyone should show more love for. YEA!

Venom-Genocide; Fan favorite band for me! Original "black Metal" band, but truly just a great hard rock band with an over the top image. Love Venom especially Teachers Pet!

Samhain-Mother Of Mercy; Glenn you magnificent bastard! If you dig/dug Glenn in the Misfits and you can't spin Mutha! enough times you will also drool all over yourself for Samhain.

Misfits-The Haunting; A Danzig-less Fits? No worries still good, but much more pop punkish ala the Dwarves. Quality stuff, but no contest to "Mommy Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight?".

*Artillery-Aint Giving Up; This tune is a monster! I have not dug into this band, but I must! Quality vocals and guitar wizadry, reminds of of Robin McCauley era Schenker. REALLY dug this band!

Communic-Frozen Asleep In The Park; Forgotten how good and how much I like this band! I have Conspiracy In Mind and now to search out some of the newer releases! This tune is remiscent of FOZZY, which is a REALLY good thing, and the song is LOONG...

Anthrax-In The End; Don't have this newer release and truth be told if I didn't know going in this was Anthrax I would have NEVER guessed it. The tune was is fair to midland, has a nu metal feel to it, good but not an instant "Fistfull Of Metal" insta-classic by any stretch.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:51 am

kmorg wrote:

Well it goes back to what I said abut wishing I was more picky. It's pretty predictable to know what I'm going to like. Classic metal, traditional metal, speed metal, power metal (both kinds), symphonic metal, melodic metal, melodic hard rock, AOR, most thrash, most death, prog metal, prog rock, doom... if it falls into those categories, in most cases, I'm going to like it. That's one of the reasons I rarely buy online. I prefer to let my visits to used CD stores determine what I will or won't buy. It all depends on what other metal/hard rock fans are willing to part with.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 am

martinsane wrote:
ALRIGHT!!! Reveiw of disc #1. Which I enjoyed thoroughly, no offense Wayne, but my musical binders are non existant so I can find something redeamable in most tunes. Smile

*Iron Savior-No Guts No Glory; YES! Excellent hard rock-ish 80's metal, great singer and an excellent solo. Don't have anything from these guys, so many thanks for the intro!

Jorn-Rock N Roll Angel; Can't say anything but positive things about Jorne. The guy sings like mad, does a mean DIO and this song could easily be a lost DIO track!

*Manticora-The Twilight Shadow; excellent proggy metal ala Dream Theatre, Savatage vibe too. Very technical and quite good.

Rage-Don't Fear The Winter; Always have dug this vein of hard rock/heavy metal and Rage are a staple for me. Great metal voice, smoking guitar and a whole grip of double kick drumming!

*Subvision-Beyond The Moon; This band was a tasty lil' switch up after all the metal. GOOD band with a alt rock Replacement vibe, nice twangy guitar and a real solid singer. Got to dig deeper into this band and add them to the archives.

*Magna Cart Cartel-Metropilis Fur; Effects on the vox killed this one for me. I dig the whole Psych Furs, Simple Minds vibe the musicians threw down, but the whispery layered vocals did the music no favors. Curious if other tracks from these guys go down easier with a different vocal mix?

*Ghost-Ritual; Thought at first this might be the Scandi hard rock band I have, but no sir. This is a kookie 70's Sabbathy meets Alice In Chains meets the Cramps with some great metal guitar work and some seriously sreaming good metal vox thrown in around the ambiant goth metal. Need to hear more!

Mercyful Fate-A Dangerous Meeting; The King and I don't mean Elvis, Diamond can belt and his tunes and accompyaning musicians are superb. Love me some King be it with the Fate or solo.

*Leif Edling-My Black Birthday; some nifty lil 1/2 spoken work, 2/3rds goth metal rolled up in a vintage Misfits/Candlemass corn tortilla, makes tune a good listen. Was unaware of Leif's solo endeavors. Another to delve deeper into.
Candlemass-Of Stars And Smoke; Another staple band with some down trodden metal goodness. Vox and musically are always a treat with CM.

Jag Panzer-Sworn To Silence; JP is one of those under the radar NY style trash bands that everyone should show more love for. YEA!

Venom-Genocide; Fan favorite band for me! Original "black Metal" band, but truly just a great hard rock band with an over the top image. Love Venom especially Teachers Pet!

Samhain-Mother Of Mercy; Glenn you magnificent bastard! If you dig/dug Glenn in the Misfits and you can't spin Mutha! enough times you will also drool all over yourself for Samhain.

Misfits-The Haunting; A Danzig-less Fits? No worries still good, but much more pop punkish ala the Dwarves. Quality stuff, but no contest to "Mommy Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight?".

*Artillery-Aint Giving Up; This tune is a monster! I have not dug into this band, but I must! Quality vocals and guitar wizadry, reminds of of Robin McCauley era Schenker. REALLY dug this band!

Communic-Frozen Asleep In The Park; Forgotten how good and how much I like this band! I have Conspiracy In Mind and now to search out some of the newer releases! This tune is remiscent of FOZZY, which is a REALLY good thing, and the song is LOONG...

Anthrax-In The End; Don't have this newer release and truth be told if I didn't know going in this was Anthrax I would have NEVER guessed it. The tune was is fair to midland, has a nu metal feel to it, good but not an instant "Fistfull Of Metal" insta-classic by any stretch.

That Communic is from the album "Waves of Visual Decay"

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:33 pm

martinsane wrote:

All 3 of these bands have the same singer except no one is suppose to know its the same guy lol! Subvision only has 1 album (I believe) and the only way to get it now is through amazon or itunes as mp3s. The cd is extremely rare. Magna Carta Cartel is only available as mp3s but they are giving it away for free on their record labels site. The singer in the band Ghost is also the same singer from Subvisions and MCC. In Ghost he wears a costume so no one knows who he is, or any of the other band members for that matter. The singer also has or had another band called Repugnant which is more death metal. I don't have any of that stuff, but from what I heard samples of it was pretty good as well. I'm surprised you never heard of Ghost though. They've been talked about on here a lot and they seem to be getting bigger.

Heres the link for Magna Carta Cartel: http://claudiomarino.com/soz/soz-004.php

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm

martinsane wrote:

All 3 of these bands have the same singer except no one is suppose to know its the same guy lol! Subvision only has 1 album (I believe) and the only way to get it now is through amazon or itunes as mp3s. The cd is extremely rare. Magna Carta Cartel is only available as mp3s but they are giving it away for free on their record labels site. The singer in the band Ghost is also the same singer from Subvisions and MCC. In Ghost he wears a costume so no one knows who he is, or any of the other band members for that matter. The singer also has or had another band called Repugnant which is more death metal. I don't have any of that stuff, but from what I heard samples of it was pretty good as well. I'm surprised you never heard of Ghost though. They've been talked about on here a lot and they seem to be getting bigger.

Heres the link for Magna Carta Cartel: http://claudiomarino.com/soz/soz-004.php

That's awesome that it is the same singer!! And btw I have read and heard the talks of Ghost, just never got to hear them for myself!

Just finishing up disc #2 and I'd say Lake Of Tears is my current fave on the disc, but I have a good many of hte other bands...

More to come!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:00 pm

That Ghost album is one I listen to all the time and I mean all the time. Its awesome. It;s like Blue Oyster Cult meets Mercyful Fate.

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Interesting, I had a feeling Ghost was members of other bands, they are too good to have just appeared that quickly.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
Interesting, I had a feeling Ghost was members of other bands, they are too good to have just appeared that quickly.

Yea. I'm not sure who the rest of the band is but I'm guessing its guys from those 2 bands or maybe all of them. It will eventually leak but its not like it matters cause those other bands aren't well known to begin with.

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Disc #2!

* bands are new to me/don't have...

*Tryptykon-Descendent; How low can your tuning go! Hyper d-tuned White Zombie clone. Fine stuff but that poor "E" string must be in danger of jumping ship...

*Lake Of Tears-Midnight Madness; This is sweet! Reminds me of Celtic Frost which is great thing!

*Tarot-Rider Of The Last Day; A great band that is equal parts Badlands and DIO with some huge Kings X harmonies thrown in, I like it!

Blind Guardian-Tanelorn (Into The Void); I like BG and should listen to them more regularly. This tune is a great melodic rock anthemic tune.

Firewind-Cold As Ice; Another band I should spin more regularly. By the books melodic hard rock and the guitar tone is just oh so chunky... excellent.

Hardcore Superstar-Dreamin' In A Casket; Super cool and great newer hard rock band. Super sleezy/groovy and just darn good. Love the voice! Listen to this often, but still need to acquire the phusical cd.

*Dommin-Tonight; Very unexpected rock song. Very clean vox and guitar tone, but still a rocker. Weird, but cool.

*Throne Of Chaos-The Window; Cool band! Hard to finger the style, but quite operitic/symphonic/broadway-ish metal? Either way different and good especially the groovy lounge break with tasty keyboards/piano.

Porcupine Tree-Lazarus; P. Tree is a quality band that encompasses a lot of styles and does them all amazingly! They take up good realistate in my shelves and they deserve it. This song is quality/ambient/feel good alt rocker with a ton of key work.

Tad Morose-Take On The World; Excellent hard rock band and this tune is no exception to their quality catologue. Love thhis guys vox and the guitar tone both remind me of Lion and Obsession. YEA!

Tankard-Die With A Beer In Your Hand; If you dig NY thrash ala MOD with better vox then Tankard is for you. I dig them!

*Heavenly-Full Moon; Nice keyboard driven melodic AOR. I may have this??? Smile

Zero Hour-Face The Fear; Solid Maiden sounding hard rock with a zillion tempo changes that would confuse even Dream Theatre. Good stuff, but not very memorable.

*Roadrunner United-In The Fire; Unfamiliar with this band, but with King Diamond on vox this could easily be a KD or MF tune. I like it!

*Headstone Epitath-Just For A Moment; Metal balladry. Good stuff, loved the solo. Would like to hear these guys cut loose on a rocker...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:00 pm

martinsane wrote:
Disc #2!

* bands are new to me/don't have...

*Tryptykon-Descendent; How low can your tuning go! Hyper d-tuned White Zombie clone. Fine stuff but that poor "E" string must be in danger of jumping ship...

*Lake Of Tears-Midnight Madness; This is sweet! Reminds me of Celtic Frost which is great thing!

Tryptykon is basicly Celtic Frost plus or minus

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Triptykon is great, they sound nothing like White Zombie.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm

S.D. wrote:
Triptykon is great, they sound nothing like White Zombie.

That song sure did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 pm

The only commonality I can see is the guitar tuning, which Tony Iommi first did in 1971 on Master Of Reality. Celtic Frost were doing this stuff a few years before White Zombie hit the scene.

If you don't listen to much of this stuff I can see how they might sound similar, I've been studying this style for 30 years so I'm approaching it differently.

Last edited by S.D. on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:04 pm

I had the good fortune to be paired with Exact33 for the Swap and he sent me 2 discs with a total of 33(!) tracks. I knew he was a Sleaze/Glam fan so I kind of expected a lot of that, which is fine with me. I was worried that I would already have a bunch of the tracks but I didn't, which is nice.

Here's my thoughts on Disc 1:

The Last Vegas – The Other Side – Some kickass American sleaze! I’ve been meaning to get something by these guys and this confirms that The Last Vegas are worth tracking down.

Bullet – Back On The Road – I’ve got everything Bullet’s ever released and they are great. Combine equal parts AC/DC and Accept and you get Bullet. Hailz!

Railway – Crazy – I’ve been aware of Germany’s Railway for awhile but I never have heard them. This is anthemic Metal that reminds of Accept at the more commercial. Very cool track and yet another band I need to explore.

Million Dollar Reload – Goodnight New York – More sleazy hard rock that reminds me of Rhino Bucket for some reason. I really dig this type of music so yet another band I need to track down. Hooky as all get out.

’77 – High Decibels – Spain’s resident AC/DC clones are totally cool. I have their album 21st Century Rock and I will eventually get High Decibels if I can find it for a reasonable price. Fans of AC/DC, Airbourne, Rhino Bucket, etc… should check these guys out.

Reckless Love – Hot – Finnish Glamsters offer up a very poppy track that sounds very light to these ears. Just to poppy for me but they have other heavier tracks that I dig.

Underride – Road To Nowhere – A Seattle band that offers up a modern take on hard rock. Infectious as the common cold and these guys have the potential to be huge if they get the right push.

Sideburn – Lazy Daizy – I have never even heard of these guys before but I think they are Swiss. Yet another great take on good old hard rock a la AC/DC or Krokus. Great track and Exact33 is going to make sure I am broke!

The Angels – Waiting For The Sun – I think this is The Angels from Australia who were known as Angel City in the US. I have Face To Face by them and that’s it. Rock solid, rib cracking rock! Great stuff.

Babyjane – Are You Listening? – Australian Sleaze/Glam that’s kickass. Reminds me of Britny Fox’s Bite Down Hard for some reason. Sounds like it’s straight our of ’88 and to me, that’s a good thing.

Million Dollar Babies – Highest Mountain – Swedish sleaze which is a little light for my taste. This could have been on a movie soundtrack back in the 80’s – the movie would have probably feature the two Coreys.

Whocares – Out Of My Mind – One of the tracks from this supergroup’s EP. A definite keeper with it’s eastern melodies.

Wolfpakk – Ride The Bullet – German Metal with great sing along choruses and grinding guitars. This hits that sweet spot of a touch of hard rock and a whole lot of Metal. Just my thing.

The Magnificent – Memories – Great guitar work and vocals on this but it’s really not my thing. If you dig the heavier end of AOR, then you would love this.

ICS Vortex – Windward – I had heard of these guys but for some reason I assumed they were Black Metal. HA! I was wrong. This is melodic, keyboard laden Metal of the Euro variety. Too many keys for me but these guys are great musicians. What’s an ICS Vortex???

Naked – Sonic High – I have no idea who these guys are but this is poppy hard rock. Too light for my tastes but it’s good to hear somebody still playing this stuff.

The Slam – Wild Ride – These guys remind me of Little Caesar, another band that I love. What you’ve got here is soulful, hard rock with a tough edge. I really like this style of music so this is another album I’ll have to track down. I am going to be broke.

I'll get a review up for disc #2 in a few days.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Glad you liked most of it Witchfinder!

CD #2 from Witchfinder

1. Glory Bells - Dressed in Black
This is straight ahead metal with high pitched vocals. I like the music the vocals are a little too high for my taste.

2. Griffin - Heavy Metal Attack
Really enjoyed this track. Great classic metal with attitude. It is fast, melodic but yet still strong metal. I looked around and it seems this one is pretty hard to find.

3. Hell - On Earth as it is in Hell
This sounds good for a demo. I have heard the track from Nuclear Blast for the album released in 2011 and somehow missed the demo version. I have been meaning to get this cd but it fell through the cracks. I am going to have to fix that.

4. Highway Chile - Headbangers
Love the music on this one. A good 80s melodic metal band that kinda reminds of Pretty Maids. I hope this is re-issued some day. I would get it.

5. Keen Hue - The Doctors Crying
The music is good on this but the lyrics are really silly. I guess you can constantly repeat the song title and throw in some words here and there and call it song.

6. Mpire of Evil - Reptile
I am not a huge thrash fan but this is pretty good. From what I could see the ep this song is on is mostly covers. Ill check this band out some more.

7. Odin - 12 O clock High
I have an Odin cdr somewhere. I enjoyed this straight ahead metal band so I ill have to find it.

8. Orchid - Eastern Woman
Not a big doom fan but this is entertaining. Not sure about a whole album worth but I think the vocals are very good.

9. Oz - Turn the Cross Upside Down
I didn’t realize the cliché of burning churches was still around. I like the music but the lyrics are downright hokey.

10. Picture - Eternal Dark
This is mid-paced metal with pretty mid-range vocals. They do it well but it seems flat to me.

11. Portrait - Beast of Fire
I hear a tinge of Mercyful Fate in this band. I like the fast paced nature of the music and the vocals are not overly high pitched. The only thing is the song is kinda long. I like it though.

12. RAM - Flame of Tyrants
The music is pretty standard Maiden fare but with vocals that take a lot of getting used to. I don’t know why the singer slurs every last word of every sentence but it loses its effect kinda quickly.

13. Randy - Shadows are Falling
This is a great track. Melodic rock with a touch of metal. Ill have to see if this is out on cd.

14. Savage Blade - We are the Hammer
Absolutely love this track. It has speed, its metal and the vocals are great. I am going to check out more from this band.

I am glad I was paired with Witchfinder. He has some really good taste in music. I found several cds I am going to try and get, which is one of best outcomes of participating in the comp swap. Thanks for your time in making the comps WF!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:36 pm

martinsane wrote:
Disc #2!

*Tarot-Rider Of The Last Day; A great band that is equal parts Badlands and DIO with some huge Kings X harmonies thrown in, I like it!

*Dommin-Tonight; Very unexpected rock song. Very clean vox and guitar tone, but still a rocker. Weird, but cool.

*Throne Of Chaos-The Window; Cool band! Hard to finger the style, but quite operitic/symphonic/broadway-ish metal? Either way different and good especially the groovy lounge break with tasty keyboards/piano.

*Roadrunner United-In The Fire; Unfamiliar with this band, but with King Diamond on vox this could easily be a KD or MF tune. I like it!

*Headstone Epitath-Just For A Moment; Metal balladry. Good stuff, loved the solo. Would like to hear these guys cut loose on a rocker...

That Tryptykon album starts off where Celtic Frosts Monotheist ended. Never thought it sounded anything like White Zombie but I guess I could see that comparing the guitar tone.

That Lake Of Tears song is probably the heaviest song they have done since their first album and they have 7 or 8 albums. Their first album was more on a death metalish side then they really took a turn for the albums after that and changed their sound from each album. My favorite album from them is "Forever Autumn". Its very spacy Pink Floydish sounding, funny cause I hate Pink Floyd but I love the way Lake Of Tears took a spin on it. Their new album though is pretty heavy compared to their other albums.

Tarot is Marco Hietalas, from Nightwish, band before he joined Nightwish. They have a lot of good albums. Spell Of Iron, Suffer Our Pleasure, and When Crows Fly Back. Great stuff!

Dommin is awesome. Very Danzig-ish especially with one song on the album. I was going to put that one on their but decided this song instead. Either way its a great album.

Throne Of Chaos only has 3 albums. their first one is a total Children Of Bodom rip off. Actually I had my ipod on today and a song from that album came on and I swore it was COB but it wasn't lol. Their second album Pervertigo is awesome. The singer from Dream Evil sings on most of it as a guest singer. Then the album this song is on is called Loss Angeles. They changed their name to T.O.C. because they really changed their sound on this one. Its really great. If you like this song you would love the album. I've tried to get other people to like them with these comp swaps but so far you were the only one that liked it lol. Its one of my favorite albums.

Heavenly is great. They started out with help from Pete Sielck from Iron Savior with their first album and after that they were on their own and really put out some killer stuff, especially the albums Sign Of The Winner and Dust To Dust.

Roadrunner United is basically just a album with a bunch of people that are in bands that are signed to Roadrummer, which King Diamond was at the time. I'm not sure who is in the band with this song but I love it just because the King was on it. I wish his solo stuff sounded more like this.

Headstone Epitaph, if you liked that song you would definitely like their other songs. Again this is another band that only came out with 3 albums but their first one is basically non existent. I heard they were back together but haven't heard anything of a new album or anything.

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:36 pm

[quote="exact33"]

This is a great track. Melodic rock with a touch of metal. Ill have to see if this is out on cd.

![/quote

I really like this band. I have a 6 pack of albums by them and they are all excellent!
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:43 pm

martinsane wrote:
Disc #2!

That Tryptykon album starts off where Celtic Frosts Monotheist ended. Never thought it sounded anything like White Zombie but I guess I could see that comparing the guitar tone.

That Lake Of Tears song is probably the heaviest song they have done since their first album and they have 7 or 8 albums. Their first album was more on a death metalish side then they really took a turn for the albums after that and changed their sound from each album. My favorite album from them is "Forever Autumn". Its very spacy Pink Floydish sounding, funny cause I hate Pink Floyd but I love the way Lake Of Tears took a spin on it. Their new album though is pretty heavy compared to their other albums.

Tarot is Marco Hietalas, from Nightwish, band before he joined Nightwish. They have a lot of good albums. Spell Of Iron, Suffer Our Pleasure, and When Crows Fly Back. Great stuff!

Dommin is awesome. Very Danzig-ish especially with one song on the album. I was going to put that one on their but decided this song instead. Either way its a great album.

Throne Of Chaos only has 3 albums. their first one is a total Children Of Bodom rip off. Actually I had my ipod on today and a song from that album came on and I swore it was COB but it wasn't lol. Their second album Pervertigo is awesome. The singer from Dream Evil sings on most of it as a guest singer. Then the album this song is on is called Loss Angeles. They changed their name to T.O.C. because they really changed their sound on this one. Its really great. If you like this song you would love the album. I've tried to get other people to like them with these comp swaps but so far you were the only one that liked it lol. Its one of my favorite albums.

Heavenly is great. They started out with help from Pete Sielck from Iron Savior with their first album and after that they were on their own and really put out some killer stuff, especially the albums Sign Of The Winner and Dust To Dust.

Roadrunner United is basically just a album with a bunch of people that are in bands that are signed to Roadrummer, which King Diamond was at the time. I'm not sure who is in the band with this song but I love it just because the King was on it. I wish his solo stuff sounded more like this.

Headstone Epitaph, if you liked that song you would definitely like their other songs. Again this is another band that only came out with 3 albums but their first one is basically non existent. I heard they were back together but haven't heard anything of a new album or anything.

Thanks for all the info's on those discs. Gonna search out many of them.
Did not mean to ruffle feathers with the WZ Rob Zombie comparison, but even the vocals on that track seem similar to me??? Smile

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:13 pm

LOL! You have heard Celtic Frost before right?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:23 pm

[quote="martinsane"]
exact33 wrote:

![/quote

I really like this band. I have a 6 pack of albums by them and they are all excellent!

are they on cd?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap X The Reviews!
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next