Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
chewie
SAHB Healer
James B.
Olafsto
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
bassman
kmorg
Addy
Citanul
jettafiend
tohostudios
ZombieHavoc
exact33
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
BearOnUnicycle
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Empty
PostSubject: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 am

Maybe this thread should be sticky, but I have no idea how to make it one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm

I nailed it to the wall for ya....
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Wanted to finish listening to Addys comp and writing a review before the power went out so here goes.

CD 1

1. The Violet Burning- Rock Is Dead
Never heard of this band before and if this track came on after a smashing pumpkins song you would swear it was still smashing pumpkins. I'm not sure about the rest of their albums but they sound so identicle and I actually really like it. I will be looking more into this one.

2. Ace Frehley- Pain In The Neck
When Ace released this album I almost bought it but something just always pushed me away from getting it. Probably because I'm a semi completest and if I get 1 Ace album I gotta get them all, but also I think I sampled some of the songs and I wasn't too crazy about it. That was a while ago and I forgot everything so it was nice to hear a full song off it. The song was ok but I think I expect too much from Ace and it wasn't that great. It almost sounded like he wasn't into it. He sounded tired and bored. Again the song wasn't bad but I think the way he sounds just made him sound uninterested.

3.Hot Pink Turtle- Hideous
What an appropriate title for this song haha. Wasn't crazy about this one at all.

4.Ten Masked Men- Eye Of The Tiger
It was suppose to be Stayin' Alive but instead its the Eye Of The Tiger. When I was younger this song was my favorite. Now I don't hold the same feelings towards it. Its a little cheesy. I listen to a lot of cheesy stuff as it is but I just can't listen to this song anymore without laughing or making fun of it. Anyway back to this version. Its basically a death metal cover. Not really crazy about it.

5.Starflyer 59- Le Vaniqueur
This song has a very sludgy doom sound going on with it. It didn't really hold my interst too much since the whole song pretty much repeated itself a lot and it dragged on. I don't mind repetative songs as long as they can get it over with atleast but 3 minutes.

6.Slash- Beautiful Dangerous
I've tried to avoid this song like the plague when I heard about it. I have even refused to buy a Slash album. Not because of Fergie just because Slash to me is GNR. I tried out Velvet Revolver but it didn't even sound like Slash and could have just been any other random guitar player. Back to this song. I'm actually a little surprised that its not as bad as I thought it could have been. It actually sounds a little Aerosmith-ish and it has that Slash sound that he should never play any song without. I should probably give the album a try. I like Slash, I think hes a cool guy and a great guitar player but I'm not sure I can do his albums. We'll see. This song did make me think twice.

7.Nirvana- Oh The Guilt
I'll never forget the day Kurt Kobain died, because it was the same day I got into a fight at school. My father came to pick me up. I was sitting in his truck on the way home and he had to stop somewhere so I turned the radio on and it was announced he was dead. I was already having a bad day so I busted out crying I was just upset about everything and Kurt made it worse. I was so huge into Nirvana at the time and to think that wasn't going to be around anymore just sucked. Of course over time I got over it and I still enjoy listening to their stuff to this day.
I remember a lot of my friends liked them too and some of them would get the singles to get the bonus tracks and everything. I wasn't into collecting albums like I am now so I always missed out on this songs until someone either made me copies or a few years ago when they released the box sets.

8.Foo Fighters- Baker Street
I tried to get the album that this song is on when it was released on record store day, but it was so limited there was no chance in getting it. Now the stupid thing goes for big bucks. Hopefully they re-release it. Thankfully I got a download of it but its not the same haha. Anyway about the song, I'm not really crazy about the original version of this and this cover I'm not crazy about either. I think what really bothers me is the guitar part in place of the saxaphone part. I hate that guitar sound. Love the Foos but I'm not a huge fan of them when they do covers.

9.Foo Fighters- Have A Cigar
See Above review. I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd either.

10.Motorhead- Line In The Sand
Love Motorhead. I was wondering why this song sounded familiar and I looked it up and DUH! It was used for wrestlers as a theme song. I like this song better than "The Game" as a wrestling theme.

11.Metric- Front Row
Pretty cool song. Doesn't really do too much but its a catchy little number. Sort of sounds like The Rentals.

12.Placebo- For What It's Worth
Again another cool song. Pretty catchy. The vocals don't do anything for me and I think they are a little weak, almost sounds like the guy from "They Might Be Giants", but the music is cool so I could get used to the vocals.

13.Redline Chemistry- Dumb Luck
Sounds a little like Alice In Chains mixed with some Stone Temple Pilots. I like both of those bands, but this band doesn't do what those bands do for me. This isn't bad but I feel like I've already heard this song done better by someone else.

14.The Pixies- Where Is My Mind
My friend loves these guys. Every time I'm with him he puts a song on of theirs and I've heard him play this song a few times. The singer annoys the crap out of me and I think they are a sloppy band.

15.Poison- Suffragette City
UGH! POISON!? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!!! HAHA! Whats even worse is they are ruining a Bowie song. I Hate poison! LOL!

16.Mark Lanegan fear Cobain and Novoselic- Where Did You Sleep Last Night
Not as good as the Nirvana version that they did Unplugged. I did some research about this song and its been covered by a bunch of people and it goes dated back to the 1800's. Crazy.

17.Midnight Oil- Truganni
These guys always freaked me out especially with that video that they had that was always on MTV, but it was a pretty cool song. I never did get into these guys so I don't really know much about them at all. They are a pretty good band though. Maybe one day I'll have to pick something up because this song is pretty good and I'll probably like them.

18.Scott Weiland- Frances Farmer Will have Her Revenge On Seattle
I like Scott Weiland in STP and thats about it. Don't know why he covered this song since it pretty much sounds like the original and the original wasn't even that great of a song. Not bad but I'd rather listen to the original.

CD 2

1.Scott Weiland- jean Genie
Again I like Scott with STP, but he actually did a pretty good job with this song. I always wondered one thing about him. Why did he change his style of singing so suddenly? Why didn't he just sing this way from the beginning.

2.Skillet- Hero
Why do all these female metal vocalists sound like the girl Flyleaf? Not really crazy about this song. Its got that male/female vocal trade off thing going on. Yea I like that sometimes but I don't like the guys voice. Id rather hear the girl sing the whole song.

3.Starflyer59- Blue Collar Love
When this song started it reminds me of Soundgardens "Rooms a Thousand Years Wide". I didn't like the first song I heard from these guys and I feel the same about this one. Just doesn't do it for me.

4.Menchen- Crucified
I thought this song started off good but then I got bored with it as it went on. How many more times can someone say "Crucified" in one song? haha

5.Life Of Agony- Weeds
Love LOA. I used to not like River Runs Red but after seeing them play it live for one of their last times I see why people love it so much. About time they got to this album though they lost their magic. They went from being Hardcore to I don't know what the hell they were thinking, but seeing how Keith Caputo is now, you can figure it all out. Its a shame Ugly was a great album too but they just couldn't keep it up. They changed styles too suddenly and it killed them as a band.

6.Muse- Uprising
I wanted to check out this band when I heard Michael Weikath from Helloween really liked them. This song is ok but nothing that would make me go out and buy the album. I should really check out more by them. I think I've actually heard this song somewhere before I just can't think of where. Everyone seems to like these guys but I need to hear more to make a judgement on getting their stuff.

7.Mark Landegan feat. Cobain- Down In The Dark
Pretty much feel the same about this song as I did the other from the first cd. Sounds like a Nirvana song but its just boring.

8.Metric- Youth Without Youth
Song wasn't too bad. Reminds me a little bit of Shiny Toy Guns. Not a song that would make me get up and get the album but it wasn't bad. I'd have to hear more.

9.Placebo- Allergic
Kind of grungy sounding. Pretty cool song. The vocals sound familiar, like he's friend another band but I could be wrong. Like this one.

10.Foo Fighters- Band On The Run
I feel the same about this song as I do with the previous foo fighters covers. Although I do like this song a little better than the others. I'm just not big on the Foos covers.

11.Redline Chemistry- Fire Rising
I realy liked the song when it started. The vocals didn't really do anything for me since they seem a little too weak for the music but as the song went on it really started to grow on me. This one is a great track. I'll have to check more into this one.

12.Them Crooked Vultures- Gunman
Heard of these guys, but never really went looking into their music. This song isn't too bad. The chorus part is a little weird but cool in a spooky way. Kind of sounds something like Ghost would do. I'd have to hear more from this band.

13.Vengence Rising- Raegoul
I thought these guys sounded different than this. I searched them on youtube a few years ago cause a lot of people refer to them but I didn't see anything special about them and still don't, with this song. This almost sounds like it could have been a White Zombie song.

14.Your Chance To Die- Requium For The Blessed Damn
The music on this one is really cool, but the vocals kill it. I'm not really into death metal. Its a shame cause the music is awesome. I don't mind growling vocals sometimes but theres just something about these that don't really sit well with me.

15.Slowdive- Ballad Of Sister Sue
This one was tough to get through. Is this a goth band? Again don't mind goth music but it has to be good. This one is a little boring. Too slow for my tastes.

16.Sombrance feat. Jimmy P Brown II- Wasting Away
Don't like this song either. I don't dislike slow songs but they have to be good.

17.Smashing Pumpkins- Never Let Me Down Again
Love the Pumpkins but not too crazy about this song.

18.Ozzy w/Type O Negative- Pictures Of Matchstick Men
Love Type O and Ozzy but I was never crazy about this song. Ozzy just sounds out of place with Type O.

Ok thats it from Addys Comp. Not too bad. Found a few bands to check out that I never even heard of before. I'm a tough one to please Addy but you did a good job haha Thanks!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Agree wholeheartedly about Slash and Life Of Agony. Outside of G&R, I haven't heard anything with Slash to get my attention. After Ugly LoA is very boring. Also Kieth's voice lost it's unique quality, those albums never got repeat listens from me. They're on my computer for when I feel like giving them another shot, but they may never get that chance.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd either.

All respect...lost. Razz
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Agree wholeheartedly about Slash and Life Of Agony. Outside of G&R, I haven't heard anything with Slash to get my attention. After Ugly LoA is very boring. Also Kieth's voice lost it's unique quality, those albums never got repeat listens from me. They're on my computer for when I feel like giving them another shot, but they may never get that chance.

LOA is a band that all of my friends loved to death (and still do) back in high school. A friend of mine just got a LOA/Type O tattoo drawn by the guitarist in LOA. I didn't get into them until UGLY and I didn't really like RIVER RUNS RED until I saw them perform it live a few years ago. Soul Searching Sun was a huge shock. Theres a few songs on there that aren't bad but its just hard to get used to the sound of that album because it didn't sound like the same band at all. Their comback album was even more disappointing. On top of that, that cd gave people virus' on their computer lol.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd either.

All respect...lost. Razz

lol! They are another one of those, heard it way too much on the radio and I'm sick of it bands. Funny though I don't feel that way about Zepplin, Aerosmith or any of those bands from that era. I guess too it has to do with my brother listening to Pink Floyd all the time. Between them and the Beatles I really don't care if I don't hear another song from them again. Its not bad stuff, I just don't like it.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 12:05 pm

My first comp from Citanul. I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to the second comp.

CD 1

01 Cold Chisel - Khe Sanh
The comp starts off with a band I was not familiar with, hailing from Australia. The first impression that struck me was this is similar to Bob Seger, at least musically. It’s a combination of blues, acoustic and rock and roll - and it really works. It’s fun, catchy and the lyrics are pretty cool. I love harmonica in my music and this has plenty to offer. I will be getting the greatest hits from this band.

02 Hot Leg - Trojan Guitar
Fans of The Darkness will instantly recognize the vocals of Justin Hawkins. This 2009 came on the heels of the breakup of The Darkness, and picks up where One Way Ticket to Hell… and Back left off. It is straight forward rock and roll, accentuated by Hawkin’s vocals. I dig his style so this is a must for me but, as with The Darkness, if you don’t like the vocals this might not be your cup of tea. I hadn’t really paid much attention post-Darkness but it seems this was an error as I will need to get this cd.

03 Power Quest - Cemetery Gates
I bought one of the first releases from Power Quest years ago and it was pretty generic power metal. I never really found much interest in their music and didn’t follow them. This song is from their 2008 album and it seems they have managed to develop their music some. It is pretty standard power metal fare - galloping music, higher pitched vocals, and hyper drumming but it is pretty well done. I will listen to the rest of the album and see if the other songs are as good as this one.

04 Desert - Lament For Soldier's Glory (Order 227)
This song is plodding music with deeper vocals similar to Grave Digger. I thought it was pretty lame to be honest. It just didn’t have any emotion to the music and while there was a burst of energy towards the end, it was too calm overall.

05 Kiuas - Of Ancient Wounds
This is a fine dose of progressive power metal. It is fast paced while blending in the progressive elements without going overboard. I really enjoyed this. It is entertaining and interesting. Vocally, the singer does not stand out in the crowd of metal vocalists but he is a perfect fits for this band and style of music. If I had to offer a comparison, I would cite Winterborn. I will have to track down this release.

06 Slain - Soldier
This is a progressive power metal/rock band from India. This is really well done. I think it tends to spend more time on the progressive rock side of the spectrum but the music is enjoyable. The vocals seem a little too raspy for the music for my taste but don’t detract from the song. I would be interested in checking out more from them.

07 Morpheus Rising - Fighting Man
Morpheus Rising is straight ahead metal. This song is full of galloping metal. I think the music is pretty good but the lyrics on this song are so repeative to the point it gets annoying. The singer is what you would expect from a metal band but doesn’t have anything that makes him distinctive.

08 Orphan Project - Leaving My Seat At The Table
Orphan Project is a progressive rock outfit. This song is really good - it has lots of energy, is well executed and the piano and violins are used in a very effective manner. This song has great atmosphere but the thing that stands out to me most is the vocals - this guy has a great set of pipes. It is a bit on the husky side at times but soars when needed. This song was very enjoyable and I will be looking for the cd.

09 Touchstone - Strange Days
Female fronted hard rock. This song didn’t do too much for me. The keyboards were way too noticeable and the guitars were pretty generic. The vocals are also an issue - they just don’t fit with the music. I thought the combination of the two were pretty boring and at times hard to listen to.

10 Panic Room - Satellite
Very atmospheric progressive rock with female vocals. Unlike Touchstone, the music and vocals mesh well together - a ethereal combination. At points the song is haunting and at other points it is chilling and yet at another point is it uplifting. I enjoyed the track but I am not sure I could take an entire album of the same. Ill have to check out the cd.

11 Instanzia - Ghosts Of The Past
Instanzia is galloping, happy power metal a la Freedom Call. It is fast paced music with a mid-range vocalist. The song has all the elements that one would expect from a power metal song - the speed, the higher vocals, and gang chorus. I found this to be a fun listen.

12 Lord - Set In Stone
This is very well done power metal. Similar to Instanzia, this has all the prerequisite elements of power metal and is very well executed. I have been pretty burned out on this style but this song is well done and I found it to be pretty interesting.

13 Celtic Legacy - Guardian Angel
Celtic Legacy is power metal band and, to be honest, is pretty generic. The song is decent but it is the epitome of generic power metal. Its faced paced and technically proficient but it lacked emotion.

14 Q5 - Steel The Light
Wow. This track rocks! This is just plain great heavy metal with soaring vocals. It is catchy, fun, entertaining and enjoyable. From what I can tell this was originally released in 1984 with a re-release in 2005. I really enjoyed this and will be tracking down this album.

ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm

exact33 wrote:
14 Q5 - Steel The Light
Wow. This track rocks! This is just plain great heavy metal with soaring vocals. It is catchy, fun, entertaining and enjoyable. From what I can tell this was originally released in 1984 with a re-release in 2005. I really enjoyed this and will be tracking down this album.

This is an excellent album. Word of warning, though...I wouldn't recommend blindly picking up their second effort, When the Mirror Cracks. Mirror is a pretty genric AOR/melodic rock record, not a heavy metal album. I bought it, based on loving STL...and was a bit disappointed when I popped it in. I've grown to enjoy it, because I do like that style of music...but it was kinda like taking a swig of water from a Sprite can. Just a bit of an unexpected shock.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 2:13 pm

I've only heard of Lord and Power Quest from that comp. The newer Power Quest albums are really good exact. They did change their sound a little on Master Of Illusion which is the album that song is from. I didn't really care for their next album (blood alliance) too much with Chitty on vocals. Some people like him but theres just something about his singing that irritates me a little. I think hes out of the band now. The album isn't bad though I like the music its just chitty, he's sh*tty. lol

I just started getting into Lord. You haven't listened to them before? How about Dungeon? I just got into those bands really good stuff.

Sounds like you had a good comp. I have to check up on a few of those bands.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm

How about Dungeon?

Not directed at me, but just chiming in.

Dungeon, along with Wizard, are two bands I used to see at Tower Records a lot in the earlier part of the millenium. I was heavily into power metal at this time, and almost bought discs by both bands many times...but I didn't have the resources to hear samples first at the time, and just couldn't bring myself to drop the $20 per disc.

I am now reminded of those bands, and have the resources to check out samples. I don't listen to power metal the way I did back then (obsessively), but am still up for some good gallop from time to time. May have to look into them.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Yea Wizard are great. I remember picking up Head Of The Deceiver just for the hell of it. The sticker on the front said speed metal in the vein of helloween etc. so I took the chance and I really liked the album and have since gotten every one. I was even lucky enough to come across their very first 2 albums which are extremely rare to even come by. The vocals need to take a bit to get used to because of his accent but otherwise its great stuff. I would just suggest you stay away from Magic Circle (I think thats what its called) I think the album is terrible. Could just be me but for some reason they programmed all the drums on that album and it just sound like poop, but they redeemed themselves every album since then.

Dungeon I always saw too but avoided because like you as well, I was starting to grow a little tired of Power Metal so I passed them by. It wasn't until earlier this year when Wargod played some Lord and Dungeon on his radio show that I went searching for the albums. Getting their albums is a little confusing because some versions have different covers and I think they even went re-recording a whole album or two and the originals are impossible to find I think.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm

CD 2

All the bands here are from South Africa.

01 L.A. Cobra - Live To Ride
L.A. Cobra is a sleaze/hair metal band that harkens back to the glory days of the 80’s. I really enjoyed this track. It is pretty slick and the vocals are nicely done. There is nothing really new here but it is a lot of fun. I will see if I can get the release this song appears on.

02 Falling Mirror - Johnny Calls The Chemist
This track sounds like what would happen if you combine Bob Dylan’s vocals and Warren Zevon’s lyrical genius. This is a really good song. I love the electric/acoustic mix and the vocals are Dylan-esque, although very understandable. When all of these elements come together with the lyrics, it is something really fun. I love the ironic tone of the lyrics and how they are delivered. I would like to check out more of this band.

03 McCully Workshop - Buccaneer
This is pirate rock. Running Wild would be proud of the lyrics although this is not metal in the least. This was released in 1977 and has a great 70’s psych sound to it. I found myself humming along with the music almost immediately. I enjoyed this a lot will see if I can get this on cd.

04 Jo Day - Above My Room
From 70s psych of McCully Workshop to modern rock of Jo Day. The vocals remind me a little of Geddy Lee and the music is definitely modern rock. I think it is ok but most modern rock songs tend to sound all the same to me. I will give this song props for the vocals but the music really doesn’t do anything for me.

05 Skinflint - Iklwa
Skinflint is a rock/metal band that loves the first two Iron Maiden albums. The music is very much a tribute to Maiden but not nearly as good. I think it is a decent effort but the scratchy vocals are a bit much (which is funny given my love for Grave Digger). I think the song is too plodding parts to really keep me coming back to it.

06 Arcana XXII - Mordor
Obviously Arcana XXII loves Tolkien. This song is all about The Lord of the Rings. While I enjoy the subject, the screaming vocals (and growling at points) really makes it hard to enjoy the song. The other thing that is irritating is the way the singer rolls his ‘R’s constantly. The music is decent but the production isn’t so good so its hard to hear all of the instruments.

07 Stingray - Better The Devil You Know
Stingray is pop metal through and through. This song comes right out of the 70s and is anthemic and energetic. The chorus parts on this song are really great. This is really fun and I enjoyed this song over multiple listens.

08 Bluescream - After September
Bluescream has an AOR rock edge to them. This song sounds really excellent - just the right mix of hard rock and AOR. One of the issues with AOR is some songs never approach anything resembling rockbut Bluescream understand how to give some bite to their music. I wouldn’t mind hearing more from them.

09 Southern Gypsey Queen - Be The Lion
Southern Gypsey Queen draws their influence from 70s hard rock with a tiny bit of punk thrown in. I thought the song was ok. I thought it repeated the same chord over and over again too many times. It was a decent song but not once I think I would find myself coming back to often.

10 Off The Edge - Site Under Construction
This song is straight up melodic rock - and it is really good too. I really enjoy the vocals and the music has that right mix of melody and rock.

11 Mark Haze - The Rabbit Hole
This track is modern rock/metal from Mark Haze. I think he has a great voice but the music is ‘meh’ to my ears. It is mostly mid-paced which gets kinda boring after awhile.

12 Toxic Shame - Silent Movie
More modern rock. I guess its ok for what it is but I am not a big fan of this style.
13 David's Confession - The Horseman
This song is straight ahead rock. I think the music is good but the vocals are way too buried. The music overpowers the vocals and the result is a song that is hard to get into.

14 Arapaho - Wild Warrior
Arapaho is pop rock from the 1990’s. I think the track is way too generic. I can appreciate it but it just left me feeling ‘meh’ after it was finished. The guitar solo in the middle was quite good though.

15 Titus - Fade
A nice somber, haunting song to finish off the comp. This song has plenty of atmosphere intermixed with metallic moments. I like the singer’s voice and the music but this style really is not my thing for repeated listens.

I really enjoyed swapping comps with Citanul. I found some really good music I didn’t know about before, which is why I like participating in the swaps. From this comp swap I am going to try and track down:

Q5 - Steel the Light
McCully Workshop - The Best Of McCully Workshop (2010)
Cold Chisel - Best of Cold Chisel
Stingray - S/T
Off The Edge - Site Under Construction
Hot Leg - Red Light Fever
Power Quest - Master of Illusion
Kiuas - Reformation
Slain - Here and Beyond
Orphan Project - Orphan Found
Instanzia - Ghosts
Lord - Set In Stone

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:28 pm

I can help you out with that Kiuas disc King. I also have 2 Lord discs but not that one.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I can help you out with that Kiuas disc King. I also have 2 Lord discs but not that one.

thank you kind sir. Let me know what you want.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

thank you kind sir. Let me know what you want.

Best price on Amazon used is 8.29 plus the 2.99 shipping. How about $9 ppd?

http://www.amazon.com/Reformation-Kiuas/dp/B000FP2O1I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1351636059&sr=8-9&keywords=kiuas

PM me and we can negotiate. I bought this one because I loved "Spirit Of Ukko" but they went too prog for me on this one.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Love Type O and Ozzy but I was never crazy about this song. Ozzy just sounds out of place with Type O.

I am not a big Type-O fan myself but I may check this out as it is a cover of a Status Quo and I freakin love that band. I had no idea that this existed.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm

jettafiend wrote:

I am not a big Type-O fan myself but I may check this out as it is a cover of a Status Quo and I freakin love that band. I had no idea that this existed.

You never saw the Howard Stern movie Private Parts? Thats what its from.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm

jettafiend wrote:

No, I can't say that I had the urge. But I do remember the soundtrack having a good list but I have not even seen it in years.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:13 am

exact33 wrote:
I really enjoyed swapping comps with Citanul. I found some really good music I didn’t know about before, which is why I like participating in the swaps.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm still going through yours, and hope to have at least one review done in the next day or so.

Quote :
From this comp swap I am going to try and track down:

Stingray - S/T

There's a remastered version of the album out called Revisited Remastered, which has all the tracks from the S/T album (although in a different order) plus a couple more. It might be easier to find that one.

Some of the South African bands might be a little hard to get hold of, especially physical CDs. Some of them might be on iTunes, and you can also try Rhythm Music Store. I do know of some local sites which ship internationally, but I've no idea what the shipping costs are like.

Quote :
The vocals remind me a little of Geddy Lee

That's actually a woman singing. Smile
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Citanul wrote:
exact33 wrote:
I really enjoyed swapping comps with Citanul. I found some really good music I didn’t know about before, which is why I like participating in the swaps.

Quote :
The vocals remind me a little of Geddy Lee

That's actually a woman singing. Smile

just goes to reinforce my former opinion of Rush Smile

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 4:52 pm

jettafiend wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

No, I can't say that I had the urge. But I do remember the soundtrack having a good list but I have not even seen it in years.

I have had the soundtrack for years before actually seeing the movie. I cant remember why I got it probably for the Ozzy track
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Addy wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I have had the soundtrack for years before actually seeing the movie. I cant remember why I got it probably for the Ozzy track

Nice! headbanger

I looked up the track listing online last night and read like a who's-who of the classic rock scene. Overall not too bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

I like soundtracks sometimes theres some good ones one of my favorites is Godzilla (from 2000) its got Silverchair and the Foo Fighters on it. Great stuff

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 am

Addy wrote:
I like soundtracks sometimes theres some good ones one of my favorites is Godzilla (from 2000) its got Silverchair and the Foo Fighters on it. Great stuff

I really liked Wayne's World and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Two great ones IMHO. Doesn't the Godzilla soundtrack have/had an exclusive Wallflowers song?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP XI - The reviews   COMP SWAP XI - The reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP XI - The reviews
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next