Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap X The Reviews!

Go down 
+22
Addy
Joe
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
James B.
chewie
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
jstate
martinsane
bassman
exact33
Required Fields
allthingsmetal
BearOnUnicycle
DallasBlack
kmorg
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
A Handful of Wayne
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Glad you liked the discs Exact! Most of these tracks are vinyl rips of stuff that's never been on CD. Definitely Randy has never had a (non-bootleg) CD issue. The same with Highway Chile. I have bootlegs of both and the vinyls. That Hell demo is on the 2 CD version of Human Remains. That Oz track is a re-recording of a track from '84 and it's the happiest song about church burning ever recorded! That Portrait album is superb with riffs a-flying! All the songs are very long though. I heard that Savage Blade track and had to have the album. It's so damn catchy. Mpire of Evil is 3 guys from Venom including Tony Dolan (The Demolition Man) that sang on several Venom albums after Cronos left. They have a full length out in April. Griffin is excellent and you can sometimes track that album down but I think they are all boots. Not that I care.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 9:55 pm

[quote="exact33"]
martinsane wrote:
exact33 wrote:

13. Randy - Shadows are Falling
This is a great track. Melodic rock with a touch of metal. Ill have to see if this is out on cd.

![/quote

I really like this band. I have a 6 pack of albums by them and they are all excellent!

are they on cd?

Yes, I will go see which I have. Turns out just 4 on cd, BUT reading the post above it must be a different band...
Sorry.

ANd yes Wayne I have heard a good many albums by the "Frost". Smile
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Glad you liked the discs Exact! Most of these tracks are vinyl rips of stuff that's never been on CD. Definitely Randy has never had a (non-bootleg) CD issue. The same with Highway Chile. I have bootlegs of both and the vinyls. That Hell demo is on the 2 CD version of Human Remains. That Oz track is a re-recording of a track from '84 and it's the happiest song about church burning ever recorded! That Portrait album is superb with riffs a-flying! All the songs are very long though. I heard that Savage Blade track and had to have the album. It's so damn catchy. Mpire of Evil is 3 guys from Venom including Tony Dolan (The Demolition Man) that sang on several Venom albums after Cronos left. They have a full length out in April. Griffin is excellent and you can sometimes track that album down but I think they are all boots. Not that I care.

thanks for all the hard work. I really enjoy the comp swaps and this one has been one of the most enjoyable to date.

Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Bassman's Comp CD review Disc One (one of two reviews):

1.Sacred Oath-s/t- This song starts of with some melodic Maiden style riffing, before a horrible falsetto voice belts out some inane blather, but the chorus saves it and the singer sounds better in his mid-range.

2.Dionysus -Spirit- A horrible, cheesy power metal ballad, Quennsryche in it's banality.

3.Brainstorm-Forsake What I Believe OK, I know this band, having enjoyed SOUL TEMPTATION, but this song is very average, hardly a stellar example of what this band can achieve.The drums have that tin can sound similar to WHEN THE STORM COMES DOWN but not as irritating as St.ANGER.

4.Balance of Power-Killer or the Cure-XXXXXXXXXX. The chorus is horribly cheesy and the lyrics daft.Reminds me of bad Chinchilla.

5.Eternal Reign-Beyond the Black-Yet another horrible European power metal band. Bassman, At least put some good power metal for me to listen to, not regurgitated garbage like this. Haven't you ever heard of Warlord, Crimson Glory,Liege Lord,Oliver Magnum or even Blind Guardian? You know, GOOD power metal? This vocalist and the music sounds like Modern Maiden, post-Blaze. Even the vocalist is VERY Dickinson sounding. And how dare they use "Beyond the Black" title? Metal Church's song was vastly superior.

6.Pagan's Mind -Through Osiris Eyes I'm running out of adjectives to describe Bassman's audio terrorism. This power metal travesty, complete with a 99 dollar Casio keyboard reminds me of bad Nevermore. And Nevermore all ways sucked too.*sigh*

7.Royal Hunt*Blood in, Blood Out The singer sounds like XXXXXXXXXX. This song sucks really bad. Occasionally, the singer reminds me of Mike Sweet from Stryper. Please, Bassman, stop. PLEASE.

8.Angra* Ego Painted Gray I'm honestly at a loss for words. Dave, for the love of God man, this music is horrible.The video game sounding guitar solos with what ever synthesizer sounds in the background are really distracting.More cheesy European power metal.

9.Elvin King-Dawnmelting.Starts off with a sound similar to polka legends,Fintroll, and then rapidly deteriorates into yet another mid-paced power metal pomp and circumstance. Who the hell listens to this Shiite?!?!?

10.Miseration*Blueprint Aeon Collapse. Oh boy Swedish Death metal! Finally a break from the worst power metal I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. So what about our Swedish friends, Miseration? Well, based on this song, Bassman, you'd would have been better off putting a Swedish death metal band with some talent, like oh, I don't know, At the Gates?? Boring, generic and lifeless.

11.Epica* Death of a Dream OK, this symphonic monstrosity sounds like a mix of Nightwish and Orphaned Land with your most stereotypical sounding black metal vocals ever... One of those "beauty and the beast " style bands. Formulaic and typical, with out a milligram's worth of originality. For an album that takes these various musical styles and them works them into a beautiful, cohesive whole, please see Orphaned Land's stunning MABOOL.

12.Revamp* Here's My Hell Another Nightwish wanna-be's orchestral bowel movement. Is there really a market for this crap?!?! Singer sounds like a constipated Bette Middler. Oh no, here come the scary-guy vocals AARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

13.At Vance*Fly to the Rainbow.Starts off with a decent speed metal riff, then the singer proceeds to open his mouth.The singer is very generic and reminds me of John Bush but even less range than him.Probably the best song on here. It's decent.

Last edited by S.D. on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : *Edited to remove homophobic remarks*)
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Remind me to never get paired with him ^^^^. All good music, all ripped to shreds. I'd hate to read his reviews of some of my music.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Remind me to never get paired with him ^^^^. All good music, all ripped to shreds. I'd hate to read his reviews of some of my music.

me too. I can understand not liking some thing but asking who listens to this crap when you know who it came from is rather distasteful.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:42 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I've been paired with him before but he's apparently grown much more hateful since. Holy crap! At least try to temper your pompous opinions.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
I've been paired with him before but he's apparently grown much more hateful since.

It's one thing to say you don't like it or even giving your honest opinion. But when I do these comps I make sure to keep in mind that the music I'm listening to was put together by someone who genuinely loves that music. I don't have to like it or give it a good review, but I don't need to spit on it either.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
I've been paired with him before but he's apparently grown much more hateful since.

It's one thing to say you don't like it or even giving your honest opinion. But when I do these comps I make sure to keep in mind that the music I'm listening to was put together by someone who genuinely loves that music. I don't have to like it or give it a good review, but I don't need to spit on it either.

Exactly DB. This comp review reads like it was put together by someone with Tourette's Syndrome.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Now, if the comps had Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, R Kelly, etc. THEN that review would be justified. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the comp, Cognitive Dissonance. Sorry you didn't like it, there's some different stuff on disc two, so I hope it reviews a little more positively.

But I kind of doubt that it will........oh, well.

There's always next time.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 pm

I listened to my comp swap from allthingsmetal tonight.

1. Spellcaster - Power Rising
This is my first time hearing this band. Really cool stuff!

2. Brutality - Cryptorium
This was simply put, awesome. I have heard Brutality before, but I never looked into them more. Now I need to, because this song rules!

3. Trouble - Assassin
A great song off of a great album!

4. Dungeon - Stormchaser
Very solid power metal.

5. Chinchilla - Battle of the World
Aggressive power metal. I like it, but Chinchilla is one of the worst metal band names I've heard. Still, band name aside, it's a good song, which is more important.

6. Burning Point - Into the Fire
More aggressive power metal.

7. Forte - Fading Away
Another slab of power metal!

8. Brain Drill - Mercy to None
Technical death metal band.

9. Sacred Reich - Draining You of Life
I never got into Sacred Reich as much as most other thrash bands of the era. This certainly isn't a bad song, though. I may need to revisit Sacred Reich in the future.

10. Sister Sin - One Out of Ten
I really dug this one! Nice traditional metal with female vocals. I find it weird how they're on Victory Records, as they're far from what they'd usually sign (although this song is off of an album that was made before they signed with Victory Records).

11. Flotsam and Jetsam - Greed
Nice and thrashy!

12. Artillery - By Inheritance
A great song from one of the most unique, distinctive sounding thrash bands!

13. Atheist - Why Bother?
Great stuff! It was kind of weird, though, as I had just listened to Atheist's Jupiter album before spinning this comp.

14. Armored Saint - Pay Dirt
I dig Armored Saint, and this is another winner!

15. Fifth Angel - In the Fallout
Another great song!

16. Powermad - Blind Leading the Blind
Good stuff.

17. Warrior - Fighting for the Earth
Great traditional metal in the vein of bands like Vicious Rumors, Shok Paris, and Armored Saint!

18. Detritus - Masquerade
I couldn't really get into this song.

19. Atrophy - Puppies and Friends
Very cool song! Strangely, I was listening to Atrophy this afternoon on my iPod.

20. Anthrax - Gung-Ho
The closing track off of Anthrax's 1985 classic Spreading the Disease closes off this comp.

Overall, a great disc!

Did you listen to the second disc I made yet, allthingsmetal?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 am

OK we have wasted enough time with this crap, lets get this thread back on track to reviewing the swap CD's please.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Popcorn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:24 pm

The offending material has been edited out of this discussion and the poster responsible is no more. Please resume discussing the compilations.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm

OK, so I've cleaned up this thread. If some of your posts are missing.... GET OVER IT Very Happy

Oh, Bassman, don't wait with baited breath on a review of the second CD you sent to Cognitive Dissonance..... For what it's worth, the tracklist for that comp looked impressive to me!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:18 pm

lol! whoa!..... What a Dingus! That sounded like a good comp Bassman. Sorry I paired you up with him.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
lol! whoa!..... What a Dingus! That sounded like a good comp Bassman. Sorry I paired you up with him.

I've offered to review his comp if he wants. So it may work out in the end.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:52 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I've offered to review his comp if he wants. So it may work out in the end.

He can send disc one to me and I will give it an honest review!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Check your pm's metalken. Your cds are on their way.

Feel free to use any juvenille, misogynist, racist or otherwise offensive terms when reviewing. It keeps things lively.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm not too worried about getting a fair review at this point. I reviewed his, he reviewed mine, that was the deal.

I'm cool with it.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 5:16 pm

RequiredFields: "Did you listen to the second disc I made yet, allthingsmetal?"

Yes I did. Unfortunately by the time I played it the second time I rec'd some cds in the mail (OverKill, Warbringer, Invection, Fog of War, and Hour of Penance) and they kinda hijacked my cd players. I want to play it one more time. I really like it as well. I will get the review up on Thursday (probably).

Glad you liked some of the songs on that disc. Like I said, I wasn't trying to go obscure just wanted to include tunes by bands that aren't mentioned a lot here and that also accurately describe the spectrum of my tastes in metal (alhtough I didn't realize I put so much power metal on there...oops).

Glad you like the Sister Sin---seems like the polarize people. I really like them. I haven't gotten into any Motley Crue since "Shout.." but I think this is the music they wish they were making-high energy, fun, aggressive metal.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 5:44 pm

allthingsmetal wrote:
RequiredFields: "Did you listen to the second disc I made yet, allthingsmetal?"

Yes I did. Unfortunately by the time I played it the second time I rec'd some cds in the mail (OverKill, Warbringer, Invection, Fog of War, and Hour of Penance) and they kinda hijacked my cd players. I want to play it one more time. I really like it as well. I will get the review up on Thursday (probably).

Glad you liked some of the songs on that disc. Like I said, I wasn't trying to go obscure just wanted to include tunes by bands that aren't mentioned a lot here and that also accurately describe the spectrum of my tastes in metal (alhtough I didn't realize I put so much power metal on there...oops).

Glad you like the Sister Sin---seems like the polarize people. I really like them. I haven't gotten into any Motley Crue since "Shout.." but I think this is the music they wish they were making-high energy, fun, aggressive metal.

I love the last Sister Sin album. Switchblade Serenades didn't impress me though. I even went back and listened to it after loving True Sounds and it still left me pretty cold.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

I was gonna say isnt the whole purpose of this was to be exposed to new music that otherwise you might not consider?

Sad that someone had to be flamatory
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Mine is coming, been super busy
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap X The Reviews!
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next