Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap X The Reviews!

Go down 
+22
Addy
Joe
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
James B.
chewie
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
jstate
martinsane
bassman
exact33
Required Fields
allthingsmetal
BearOnUnicycle
DallasBlack
kmorg
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
A Handful of Wayne
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Addy wrote:
I was gonna say isnt the whole purpose of this was to be exposed to new music that otherwise you might not consider?

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
Addy wrote:
I was gonna say isnt the whole purpose of this was to be exposed to new music that otherwise you might not consider?

Exactly.

that'll be $.10 for the use of my moniker.

martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:21 am

CD # 3!!

* are bands that are new to me.

The Killers-When WE Were Young; Cool modern pop band. They got a good vibe that you could easily hear scoring your favorite John Hughes film.

Kings X-Black The Sky. Heck its Kings X nuff said! I LOVE THEM!!!! This tune is no exception amazing vocals, harmonies and that darn guitar sound that Ty has is just perfect.

Foo Fighters-Rope. The Foo's are a great band and Dave Grohl is a super talent. Unfortunately living in Seattle and thanks to the Nirvana connection you can't turn on the radio and not hear a Fighters song. Side bar: no joke in Seattle an hour of radio includes at a minimum Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AIC, Jimi Hendrix, Foo's and add 30 minutes of commercials and there you go. Smile

Grand Magus-Nine; GM is just plain good. Epic metal @ its finest. Powerful vox, heavy rhythms and soaring solos make GM a fan/me favorite!

*Volbeat-Falen; NOt familiar with this band, but after listening to this nice lil rocker, I am hooked. Great sounding band, the song has a strong chorus and the vox are just different enough to be super cool.

Anvil-Juggernaut Of Justice; Just like Kings X, you either love them or hate them and just like KX, I love me some Anvil. This song is a quality hard rock/metal tune.

*Brainstorm-In These Walls; Cool epic, proggy metal band with a good quality proggy rocker song!

*Threshold-Falling Away; Nice mellowy proggy rock ballad. Solid band with some top shelf vocals. I enjoyed this one.

M83-Midnight City; This one missed me.? I appreciate the skills ofthe band and they pull off some 80's fueled synth pop/rock with a blazing sax solo.

The 69 Eyes-Night Watch; The eyes are cool. Talented band playing hard rock/metal fueled goth rock with killer guitar work and a big ole baritone of a vocalist.

*Deathstars-The Revolution Exodus; Cool stuff here! HUGE metal guitars, with a massive attack of keys and some nifty gothy vocals. The female vox are a nice touch. Sounds great to my ears.

*Dog Fashion Disco-Pogo The Clown; Very reminiscent of Cherry Poppin' Daddies and I don't mean the swing stylings of Zoot Suit Riot, I'm talking about Teenage Brainsurgeon. Good stuff and quite curious as to what other tracks are like. I hope they keep the ska, swing, rock style...

Maraya-Life Is Hungry; Good hard roc song and a good hard rock band. This singer has some killer range.

*Parish-Rachel's Eyes; Really awesome, early Dokken-esquish hard rock. REALY good tune! More of this one for me please. Smile

Crimson Glory-Dragon Lady; Excellent hard rock/metal band with an over the top amazing vocallist. Very underrated band in my opinion. I love them.

Lizzy Borden-Me Against The World; LB is also a vocal dynamo and a showman to the Nth degree. Have been a MASSIVE LB fan boy since the beginning and saw him live last year and that just concreted him in my all time favorites list. LB and CG on the same bill would be redonculous.

Lacuna Coil-Kill The Light; Good solid modern rock/metal band with good co-lead vox with male and female leads. Not earth shatterning, but good enough.

*Medication-Loaded Gun; Short but sweet stoner hard rock/metal. Curious to hear more of this band.

*Blackfield-Rise Of The Tide; This is a nice lil slow temo'd, key driven proggy rock song ala Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb. Curious to see what other tunes sound like.

Nicely done Wayne! I'm about 2/3rdsof the way through disc 4...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 am

martinsane wrote:

*Blackfield-Rise Of The Tide; This is a nice lil slow temo'd, key driven proggy rock song ala Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb. Curious to see what other tunes sound like.

Blackfield is one of many side projects by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree. Their self-titled debut album is my personal favorite. In the future Wilson will not be continuing with Blackfield as he wants to concentrate more time on PT and his solo career. But the 3 albums they did together are all worth having.

Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:38 am

S.D. wrote:
martinsane wrote:

Blackfield is one of many side projects by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree. Their self-titled debut album is my personal favorite. In the future Wilson will not be continuing with Blackfield as he wants to concentrate more time on PT and his solo career. But the 3 albums they did together are all worth having.

Excellent info's. Thank you.

I certainly do not follow the 7 degrees of seperation of these musicians and their side prijects as well as I probably should...
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

martinsane wrote:
*Parish-Rachel's Eyes; Really awesome, early Dokken-esquish hard rock. REALY good tune! More of this one for me please. Smile
I usually refer to this one as the third Crimson Glory album. Only 1 member from the latter, but overall "Envision" seems a much more logical follow up to "Transcendence" than "Strange and Beautiful".

martinsane wrote:
Maraya-Life Is Hungry; Good hard roc song and a good hard rock band. This singer has some killer range
Is this the band that was previously known as Wicked Maraya?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:19 pm

martinsane wrote:
CD # 3!!

*Dog Fashion Disco-Pogo The Clown; Very reminiscent of Cherry Poppin' Daddies and I don't mean the swing stylings of Zoot Suit Riot, I'm talking about Teenage Brainsurgeon. Good stuff and quite curious as to what other tracks are like. I hope they keep the ska, swing, rock style...

*Medication-Loaded Gun; Short but sweet stoner hard rock/metal. Curious to hear more of this band.

Nicely done Wayne! I'm about 2/3rdsof the way through disc 4...

Awesome! I'm glad you like most of it. I wasn't sure about that M83 thing. Other people on here would have cringed lol!
Dog Fashion Disco basically sounds exactly like Mr. Bungle even almost down to the vocals. So if you like Mr. Bungle you will like Dog Fashion Disco.

Medication is a band that the singer from Ugly Kid Joe was doing for a while.

And Blackfield, if you like that song you'll love the album thats its on called Welcome To My DNA. The whole thing sounds like that very mellow but one of my top favorite albums.

[quote="S.D."]
martinsane wrote:

That sucks to hear they won't be continuing Blackfield, but I guess its better to finish off on a high note.

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
martinsane wrote:
I usually refer to this one as the third Crimson Glory album. Only 1 member from the latter, but overall "Envision" seems a much more logical follow up to "Transcendence" than "Strange and Beautiful".

martinsane wrote:
Maraya-Life Is Hungry; Good hard roc song and a good hard rock band. This singer has some killer range
Is this the band that was previously known as Wicked Maraya?

Your right about that Parish album. It really should have been the 3rd Crimson Glory album. and your right about Maraya they were known as Wicked Maraya. Don't ever get the album Counterculture its horrible. Doesn't even sound like the same band. Its just really bad. Just stick with Wicked Maraya- Cyles and Maraya- No Hope For Humanity. They were suppose to be making a come back but I think they split up again. Funny they are from my area and I had no idea.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:24 pm

That's it! I want that Parish album!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

kmorg wrote:

HAHA! Its not as good as Crimson Glory but like Bear said its more of a natural transition as opposed to Strange and Beautiful. I think I got it fairly cheap so either way its a good buy. Its a good album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Yeah, that Parish album's a decent spin. Sorta like Crimson Glory had a baby with classic Dokken.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yeah, that Parish album's a decent spin. Sorta like Crimson Glory had a baby with classic Dokken.

Wow. I need to get this.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote="Phoenix Reign Drummer"]
martinsane wrote:
CD # 3!!
Your right about that Parish album. It really should have been the 3rd Crimson Glory album. and your right about Maraya they were known as Wicked Maraya. Don't ever get the album Counterculture its horrible. Doesn't even sound like the same band. Its just really bad. Just stick with Wicked Maraya- Cyles and Maraya- No Hope For Humanity. They were suppose to be making a come back but I think they split up again. Funny they are from my area and I had no idea.
Cycles receive 5 RF signs of approval headbanger headbangerheadbangerheadbangerheadbanger
Hope I got to hear "No Hope" before I die, couldn't even download it some time ago (
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 pm

[quote="BearOnUnicycle"]
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
martinsane wrote:
CD # 3!!
Cycles receive 5 RF signs of approval headbanger headbangerheadbangerheadbangerheadbanger
Hope I got to hear "No Hope" before I die, couldn't even download it some time ago (

here it is really cheap on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000025OZG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1333482229&sr=8-1&condition=used

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Disc #4 hooray!

* New to me...

*Beautiful Sin-Lost; Dang, this is PERFECT! Big big guitars, soaring vocals and just a killer melodic AOR rocker. More please! Smile

*Sister Sin-Death Will Greet Us; Heard the name, but not any tunes and this is killer hard rock song that pays huge huge kudos to Warlock. Good stuff!

*Wicked Sensation-My Turn To Fly; Cool vocal mix with the metal screams and the big ole baritone Danzigish vocals. Nice slice of melodic hard rock. (How many bands are called Wicked Sensation?)

The Mission-Deliverence; I have Children by what I'm assuming is the same band. This tune is so Cult-like it could be a b-side. Good stuff.

*Shiny Toy Guns-You Are The One; Good clean vocals and a very sing songy chorus, but it just did not move me for some reason???

*Versant-Push Away; This one too is musically good, but something about it made me tune out?

Nightwish-Story Time; Female fronted keyboard laden epic/symphonic metal. Good stuff.

*Sentenced-Amok Run; Good and fast with a great rhythm makes this a nice slice o' metal. The vox are on the cusp of going all growly black/death metal, but thankfully they don't which makes this one good un.

*Cage-Bloodsteel; Vocals are a great big HOLY COW WOW! Crazy glass shattering range. Killer tune Very heavy metal, reminds me a bit of Judas Priest Jugulator stuff. SWEET!

Helloween-Mr. Madman; Helloween is just cool. Their jams are nice and tight and super metal. Vocals are great! This one has HUGE chorus and is just plain good.

Pretty Maids-Cielo Drive; Another great band that is super cool. Great hard rock tune that I dare you not to bob your head and play some air guitar at solo time.

*Pagan's Mind-Intermission; Smooth melodic AOR/hard rock. Big production for really solid musicianship and the lead work is super tasty. Nice use of keys and the vocals are near perfect.

*Sabaton-The Price Of A Mile; Nice and moody Euro sounding metal/hard rock. Reminds me a bit of an english Rammstein.Nice song, big gang vocals, very marching/marchy tune. Smile

*Morgana Lefay-Emotional Sanctuary; Musically quite Pantera-like initially, then we get all flamenco-like for the pre-chorus. Cool metal vocals makes this one real listenable to me.

*Sacrifice-The Ones That I Condemn; Trash or be trashed! This is good by the books trash metal with hyper crunchy guitars and vocals that are perect. Recommended.

*The Clan Destined-TC Lethbridge; I like this. Hard rock sing along, with stupifyingly good guitar work. Curiousity peaked.

Nicely done again Wayne and I swear I have that Cage cd somewhere, but knowing my memory it could be anything not even remotely similar to "CAGE". Smile

More to ccome soon.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm

kmorg wrote:

me too!

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm going to run through Lurideath's comp one more time, and I'll write up the reviews tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

martinsane wrote:
Disc #4 hooray!

* New to me...

*Beautiful Sin-Lost; Dang, this is PERFECT! Big big guitars, soaring vocals and just a killer melodic AOR rocker. More please! Smile

*Wicked Sensation-My Turn To Fly; Cool vocal mix with the metal screams and the big ole baritone Danzigish vocals. Nice slice of melodic hard rock. (How many bands are called Wicked Sensation?)

The Mission-Deliverence; I have Children by what I'm assuming is the same band. This tune is so Cult-like it could be a b-side. Good stuff.

*Sentenced-Amok Run; Good and fast with a great rhythm makes this a nice slice o' metal. The vox are on the cusp of going all growly black/death metal, but thankfully they don't which makes this one good un.

*Cage-Bloodsteel; Vocals are a great big HOLY COW WOW! Crazy glass shattering range. Killer tune Very heavy metal, reminds me a bit of Judas Priest Jugulator stuff. SWEET!

*The Clan Destined-TC Lethbridge; I like this. Hard rock sing along, with stupifyingly good guitar work. Curiousity peaked.

Nicely done again Wayne and I swear I have that Cage cd somewhere, but knowing my memory it could be anything not even remotely similar to "CAGE". Smile

More to ccome soon.

That Beautiful Sin song is actually the same song as Helloweens Departed (Sun Is Going Down) that was on the album The Dark Ride. Uli Kusch wrote that song when he was in Helloween and he rewrote the lyrics for it when he started the band Beautiful Sin. They only put that one album out but its pretty good.

That Wicked Sensation song was the first that I heard from that band and I really liked that songs since Andi Deris was on it. The main vocalist I thought sang more in the style this song is in but unfortunetly he doesn't. They have some cool songs though.

Yes that is the same Mission. The changed their sound a lot as they kept putting out albums. Carved in Sand is one of my favorite albums.

You haven't heard of Sentenced? Their more recent albums they got rid of those death metalish vocals. I didn't like a lot of their stuff when they were doing this kind of style but when this song came on one day I thought it was really cool. Being used to their newer stuff its harder to get into how they used to be but I'm finding out their death metal stuff was just as good as the newer stuff.

Cage is awesome. That singer is insane. He can pull that stuff off live too, I've seen it lol. That whole album is like that song. The album just doesn't stop. It starts at 11 and ends on 11, crazy stuff.

The Clan Destined is a side project that martin walkyier from Skyclad started after he left the band. I have no idea what they are doing now. One minute the band is broken up and then its back on I have no idea. Its a good cd though.

Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Review for Required Fields CD #2 (sorry for the delay).

Another great compilation within the whole spectrum of ‘metal’!!

1. Havok—Identity Theft:------Great modern retro-thrash. One of the best new thrash bands.

2. Helstar—Burning Star--------80’s metal/NWOBHM feel to it. Again,as with the other disc this totally reminds me of my youth with this style of metal. Good stuff.

3. Tokyo Blade—Warrior of the Rising Sun-----80’s metal. Reminds me of a blend of early Queensryche/Metal Church/Fate’s Warning. More good stuff.

4. Heretic—Enemy Within--------- Mike Howe singing. Great singer. Great song. I wish he would join back up with Metal Church.

5. Assorted Heap—Mindwaves-----Interesting vocals. These vocals kind of reminds me of Pitiful Reign or Disaffection. They sound like they are trying to ‘sound metal’. Did not really click with me as their other song did.

6. Rigor Mortis—Six Feet Under/Worms of the Earth----Love this band. One of few bands that (imo) cleanly fits into the speed metal category. When the discussion of “what is speed metal and what is thrash?” comes up, this is a good band to reference. Nice, long 4 minute aggressive-y Iron Maiden-esque intro then into the ripping speed metal. Great song.

7. Torture Squad—Horror and Torture----The vocals remind me a lot of King’s-Evil or Grief of War (I did not do any research yet. My guess is this band is from Japan as it reminds me of a blend of German and Bay Area thrash—which a lot of Japanese bands seem to). But I could be way off. What do I know?

8. Disciples of Power—Eternal Purgatoy---This has that early 90’s murky death metal production. Vocals remind me of Catastrophic (and other early DM bands like Morbid Angel/ Monstrosity).

9. Solstice—Netherworld---Love this cd!! I wish Rob Barrrett would have stayed in the band and on the vocal duties. I like his delivery. Great band.

10. Burial—Frigid Cold—Old school death metal sounding.

11. CJSS—Purgatroy/Living in Exile----Traditional 80’s metal. I will have to check out more from these guys. I do not like anything that I have heard from David Chastain prior to these comps but I really like the two songs on these comps.

12. Sortilege—(in French)----Traditional 80’s sounding metal. Very good stuff.

13. Accusser—Called to the Bench------Thrash. With Hatchet sounding riffs, then it goes into something that reminds me of Pitbulls in the Nursery and then back to thrash. I have other Accusser cds. I could not place them as I was listening to this. Not sure if the vocalist changed but here it sounds like he is trying to sound ‘gruff’.

14. Exhorder—Slaughter in the Vatican----Awesome 1990 metal!! It has that ‘typical’ Scott Burns/Florida Metal sound!! The same year had him producing Demolition Hammer and Napalm Death (among others). I love all the cds that came out of Morrisound Studios. You knew you were getting great metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am

Here are the rest of the songs from DallasBlacks digital comp:

Vanishing Point – “Embodiment” – The Fourth Season

I would describe Vanishing Point as a power/prog band. That means equal parts power metal and prog metal, making them similar to bands like Symphony X and Pagan’s Mind. This song is very good, but the production sounds a bit muddy, and the keys are a little too fluffy for my taste. Still, this leaves me wanting to hear more!

W.E.T. – “One Love” & “Damage Is Done” – W.E.T.

W.E.T. is from Sweden, I believe. They play melodic hard rock, and especially the vocals really shine on these 2 tracks.

Amorphis – “Weaving The Incantation” & “Her Alone” – Silent Waters & “Highest Star” – Skyforger

Some times one just have to ask one self why on earth one hasn’t checked out some bands earlier?! These 3 tracks from Amorphis are so friggin’ good I am almost flogging myself for not owning 1 single song from these Fins! Basically this is melodic death metal, without sounding anything even slightly close to the Gothenburg sound. These guys mix brutality and beauty in a way that is just breathtaking. Thanks for turning me onto these guys, Michel!

Axxis – “Blood Angel” & “Doom Of Destiny (Arabia)” – Doom Of Destiny

I used to own several album by Germanys Axxis. I used to listen to their debut album, “Kingdom Of The Night”, a lot growing up. Their other material never did much for me, so I traded them off. Axxis were Scorpions clones in my ears. These songs, however, hailing from an album I have never heard, is more in the modern Euro-metal vain. I recognize the vocals, but the music is pretty different from what I expected. Now they remind me of Edguy. The first song was good, the second one a bit cheesy.

Dream Theater – “The Count Of Tuscany” – Black Clouds & Silver Linings

I fell off the Dream Theater wagon a long time ago. They can never seem to get back to creating awesome stuff like they did on “Awake” and “Images & Words”. I have to admit that this song is rather good, albeit 19 minutes long, but I am willing to bet that the whole album would probably bore me to tears with the “look-how-good-we-are” way of writing songs.

Empire – “Chasing Shadows” & “Angel And The Gambler” – Chasing Shadows

More melodic metal. The great Doogie White resides here! “Chasing Shadows” was a great tune, perhaps one of the best here, and it sounded very familiar to me. The other track fell a little by the wayside.

Gates Of Winter – “Life Force Rapture” – Lux Aeterna
This band I was totally unfamiliar with. I’m not even sure I’ve heard the name before! It was also a very different band from most of the others on this comp. This was atmospheric and slow, but I would not call it doom. There was keyboards, clean and death vocals, but not death metal. Perhaps closer to the stuff from Amorphis? Or even Sentenced. I liked this song quite a bit!

Human Zoo – “Rock Your Town” & “Over The Horizon” – Over The Horizon

Do you have a subscription on albums from Nightmare Records, Michel? LoL This is another melodic metal band, with only slight prog tendencies, not unlike Balance of Power or Elegy. Yes, I like this too, but it sort of drowns in the midst of other greats here.

Khymera – “Looking For You” & “The Damage Is Done” – A New Promise & “Borderline” & “The Greatest Wonder” – The Greatest Wonder

Always though this was a melodic death metal band because of the name. The jokes on me! Haha This is yet another melodic hard rock band, with heavy AOR tendencies. I reckon they’re a favorite of Michels’, as he added 4 songs from them on this comp. This is well produced, and well played. Still, to me they fail to stick out in this crowd.

Sunstorm – “House Of Dreams” & “Divided” – House Of Dreams

Is this the project with Joe Lynn Turner? I just read an interview with him about the latest effort from Sunstorm, I think. Anyhow, more melodic hard rock, this time a little more memorable, thanks to Joe’s voice, and some solid songwriting.

Action – “Cinderella” & “Without Your Love” – Action

Another band I never heard about before. An, yes, it’s more melodic hard rock. Very Happy Catchy tunes, but nothing that sticks out too much.

Twelfth Gate – “Desire Brings” & “Waiting In Shadows” – Summoning

Straight up US power metal! This is more like it! Reminds me of Destiny’s End or most other bands James Rivera has sung for, and that is a good thing!

Terry Brock – “Diamond Blue” & “Face In The Crowd – Diamond Blue

Again, who? Never heard this name. Decent enough hard rock, I guess. But again, it just doesn’t grab me enough to want to hear more.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 am

Martinsane's Comp Swap X

brought to you by the letter "A"

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 am

Glad you enjoyed most of that comp Kurt, I understand how some of those left you a bit cold, not everyone has my propencity for MHR/AOR.

Khymera is a band fronted by PC69 bassist Dennis Ward. While it's nothing groundbreaking, they play AOR songs that stick in my mind and won't let go. From the two albums I have there is no song I can't play in my head.

W.E.T. features non other than the mighty Jeff Scott Soto on vocals.

Gates Of Winter is an indie band I got from CD Baby's $5 sale. They are a prog metal band but nothing like Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, or Pagan's Mind.

Terry Brock is a vocalist of many different MHR/AOR bands. I never heard of him either but Exact mentioned him in another thread. Knowing his MHR/AOR tastes are very similar to mine I grabbed it up.

Sunstorm has the same two PC69 members that Place Vendome had.

If you can get past the production, then by all means look further into Vanishing Point. The album that song comes from grabbed me from the first listen and never let me go. The two albums I'd suggest (the only ones I have) are the Fourth Season and Embrace The Silence.

Yeah, Axxis can be a bit cheesy, but for some reason they just really click with me musically. You're the first person I sent them to on a comp that didn't complain about the vocalist so it's good to hear a different criticism Very Happy .

That Dream Theater song is the only long song they've done in MANY years that I never got bored with. To me that song doesn't even seem to last 19 minutes. I too got bored with DT but that particular album is more song oriented and not just a vehicle to show their instrumental prowess (it's the most diciplined they'e been in that department for a long time-unfortunatly, the one from last year went back to the over instrumentalism). If you ever give DT albums another chance I highly suggest Metroplolis Pt. 2 and Black Clouds & Silver linings, everything else can be described the way you described it (“look-how-good-we-are” way of writing songs).

Since you like those Amorphis songs so much, I'd suggest to start with Silent Waters and Skyforger. If you like both then try the album before and after it. Amorphis started out as a pure death metal band, but they've always had an ear for melody. The first two albums and the EP that followed are closer to death metal, with the latter two becoming increasingly melodic (with the addition of keys). The album that followed, Elegy turned into pure prog metal/rock with the only death being the vocals. After that they dropped the death vocals completly but their music became stale. I gave up on them for many years until I decided to give them another chance with Silent Waters. That album blew me away and like Vanishing Point-The Fourth Season, I couldn't stop listening to it. Skyforger followed and at first I didn't like it as much but it grew to the same level. They got a new vocalist before they released the album before Silent Waters and he wanted to bring the death vocals back. That is why you've associated them with death metal, but they are actually a prog metal band with folk and death elements.

The MHR/AOR bands do kind of mix together but I love the genre so much that I can hear differences others cannot. I figured since not everyone likes the genre as much as I do, I figured I'd just throw a bunch of them in your comp to see which ones stuck. I succeeded with some and failed with others, but the important thing is I turned you to some new stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:29 pm

James B. wrote:
Martinsane's Comp Swap X

brought to you by the letter "A"

That would have been better than my "A-Team" idea. Smile

I'll have to do that next time for the "B" version of Comp Swap 11...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 4:40 pm

I really enjoyed swapping comps, DallasBlack!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah, the best comp swap for me so far. I think some of the music didn't get to you as some of the bands that I sent two songs from only had one song in the reviews. One band, Sure Conviction didn't have anything there. Check and see if that band is somewhere and you just missed it. If not, I'd like to send their songs at least as I'd like to see what you think as they are pretty darn good and one of the very few MHR bands with a Christian message (probably would have been a hit in the Christian rock market had they released their album in the late 80s instead of 1994).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 6:42 pm

This is the most CDs I've bought based on a comp swap (3 so far) and I haven't even listened to jstate's second disc yet (I will though!).

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap X The Reviews!   Comp Swap X The Reviews! - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap X The Reviews!
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next