Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New DOKKEN album on the way....

Go down 
+19
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
Psychotron
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
chewie
Getizzyback
manny
Metal Misfit
James B.
Dark Horseman
Infinite
EmoElmo
Eyesore
stepcousin
Lurideath
Tur-Thalion
Fat Freddy
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 am

Lightning Strikes Again is worth hunting down.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 am

007 wrote:
I used to own Dysfunctional but it didn't do much for me. I haven't bought anything new by the band since then.. I'd imagine I'm missing out on some decent stuff but I'm not gonna sweat it right now.
Nothing essential, but as I mentioned before, they really haven't released a bad album. Shadowlife is debatable, but after that everything is solid.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 am

Dysfunctional is a decent record...some of it reminds me of King's X...especially "Hole In My Head"...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:29 am

Eyesore wrote:
I love Dysfunctional. Different, but it's an excellent album.

I agree with you, lyrically Dokken's best work, I never thought and still don't think of Don Dokken's as a great lyricist but on that album he certainly was.

Plus when I saw them on this tour they would segue way to the Doors 'The End' during the tune 'Too High to Fly' which won me over.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am

Dysfunctional is boring. It sounds like a band struggling to say relevant in a changed musical landscape and the result was nothing special. Shadowlife is terrible and best forgotten. Erase the Slate was a nice return to form but I found the following two albums to be sub-par and way too mellow. Lightning Strikes Again was good but unfortunately Don's voice is pretty much gone. He was really straining on several of the tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
seconds2silence
Metal novice
Metal novice
seconds2silence

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 am

I actually liked the strained vocals on a few of the tracks on Lightning. I think it added some honesty to a very polished sound.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 am

Go here for new Dokken Samples:

http://melodicrock.com/showcase/dokken-brokenbones.html

Apparently Don is already unhappy and is already working on something else saying Broken Bones will be the last Dokken album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 am

MelodicRock.com:

Quote :

BROKEN BONES THE LAST DOKKEN ALBUM?:
Word has it that the new Dokken album Broken Bones will be the last Dokken album. In an interview Don Dokken with Geir Amundsen for Norway Rock Magazine, Don stated that he is fed up, and has already started a new project with Michael Schenker (!). Interesting. The interview will be in the magazine's next issue. Stay tuned...

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am

Don is always unhappy. Stuff with Schenker could be cool but how are those two egos going to exist in the same room?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am

If memory serves, Don's been saying "this will be the last Dokken album" for at least the last two or three Dokken albums.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:14 am

Seems like it but people buy on name recognition so I think he's stuck.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I have hopes for this, the last one was really good.

Yes, the last one was great. I hope the dvd got a live concert (even if his voice sucks today) and some video clips and making off. I will of course buy this cd/dvd, if its good of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Go here for new Dokken Samples:

http://melodicrock.com/showcase/dokken-brokenbones.html

His voice is very different, that's for sure. Sounds "okay" I guess.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:26 am

Hmmm, title song is a ringer for, How I Miss Your Smile. In fact, a lot of this sounds like it was songs from Lightning Strikes Again.
Back to top Go down
seconds2silence
Metal novice
Metal novice
seconds2silence

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am

Seems to be missing the urgency of Lightning. They're good tunes, just seems a bit of a step back to me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Picked up the new Dokken this afternoon... givin' it a first spin right now, sounds OK to me, I'll know more once the songs have had a chance to "gel" some.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Picked up the new Dokken this afternoon... givin' it a first spin right now, sounds OK to me, I'll know more once the songs have had a chance to "gel" some.

Picked it up too - guitar playing sounds great, but Don's voice sounded weaker than usual to me
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 am

Mostly i'm hearing it's ok and from what i've listened to that'sa all it is. Maybe it's a grower.
Back to top Go down
seconds2silence
Metal novice
Metal novice
seconds2silence

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 pm

After giving this record a week's worth of daily spins I think this record sounds fanatstic sonically. The guitars on the songs written by Jon and Don are heavy, riffing monsters for the most part. The tracks written by Don just don't hold up well against the others and I really don't care for the cover song at all. Don's voice has changed but it works well with the sound they are kicking out. All in all I give it a 7 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 am

I really enjoy this album. It's not Lightning II, and apparently Don adamantly was against doing that kind of album again. The other guys wanted to, but he wanted to something a bit different. I think he mentioned the 60s and 70s when describing what he was going for, at least in terms of harmonies and such.

Either way, a great album. Not a throwback, not an attempt at a modern sound, just a solid hard rock album. A bit slower than some might want, but still rockin' and somewhat heavy. I dig it.

And Don's voice isn't what it once was, but I like that he admits he'll never sing that way again. It happens, you know, and he does a solid job of it.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 am

Finally gave this album a full listen..must say I find it somewhat disappointing and I just don't care for it. I think Don has lost his voice. I won't be buying this album. Unfortunately alot of old bands just are not putting out anything that great these days.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 am

brokentulsa wrote:
Unfortunately alot of old bands just are not putting out anything that great these days.

Have you tried the new LA Guns yet? It's the bee's knees, baby!!

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t17982-la-guns-phil-lewis-version-hollywood-forever-2012

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 am

I've given the album a number of spins and it's... okay. Nothin' really blew my barn doors off but nothin' made me wanna throw the CD out the window either.

"Empire" was the standout track for me, which isn't exactly a good thing cuz it's the leadoff song. The rest kinda went in one ear and out the other.

There's a story on Blabbermouth today that sez Don Dokken is claiming that "Broken Bones" will be the last Dokken album, cuz he wants to get to work on a "real heavy metal" project that he describes as "Slayer meets Tool." Um...okaaaaaay.

Oh, and for those of you who are keeping score, Blab also sez that drummer "Wild" Mick Brown is out and has been replaced by former Megadeth drummer Jimmy DeGrasso....which now makes Don Dokken the only original member of "Dokken" still in the band.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Oh, and for those of you who are keeping score, Blab also sez that drummer "Wild" Mick Brown is out and has been replaced by former Megadeth drummer Jimmy DeGrasso....which now makes Don Dokken the only original member of "Dokken" still in the band.

I was a little surprised Mick was on the album in the first place, since he's part of the Tooth & Nail line-up with George and Jeff.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

Slayer meets Tool? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New DOKKEN album on the way....   New DOKKEN album on the way.... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New DOKKEN album on the way....
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next