Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rawken With Dokken!

Go down 
+10
stepcousin
manny
steel warrior
YngwieDokkenfan
arttieTHE1manparty
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
Todd Jaymz
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

Rawken With Dokken! Empty
PostSubject: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 4:30 pm

I've only seen Dokken 1 time back in 1984, I was all of 15 years old. I'm going to see them a week from tomorrow, this time on the vip list. I'm very excited to finally hang out with the band, I've always loved their music!-TJ
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Very cool. I havent' seen Dokken since the Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour in 1988. Tell Don we said "hi." Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Very cool. I havent' seen Dokken since the Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour in 1988. Tell Don we said "hi." Smile

That's when I saw them as well. I saw in the other post how people were saying they were weak live , but I thought they were pretty good when I saw them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Awesome! I'll see them later this summer. Let us know how they sound.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 10:08 pm

007 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's when I saw them as well. I saw in the other post how people were saying they were weak live , but I thought they were pretty good when I saw them.

I saw them twice back in the day. The Monsters of Rock was actually the second time, the first was opening for Priest on their TURBO tour (my first concert) in '86. They were good both times, but I've heard that the quality has really slipped with the revolving door of new members since the late 90s.

Interestingly enough, the main thing I remember about Dokken's Monsters of Rock set was George Lynch's guitar going out of tune mid-set, so he stalked over to the side of the stage and kicked his guitar tech square in the ass in full view of the packed Giants Stadium Laughing
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 12:20 am

never seen them, but i'm sure you'll have fun.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 11:20 am

I saw them a few years ago when Reb Beach (Winger) stepped in after George Lynch left. The band sounded great, but Don was a bit boring. His singing was fine, but he didn't move around much or have much personality. Pilson and "Wild Mick" were much more entertaining to watch.

You should enjoy it though. They have a great catalog of songs to play.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Have fun! I've seen them a few times, but the last time I saw them they were NOT good; Don looked bored and nailed to the floor, but Reb Beach was entertaining. Every other time was great, however.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 2:17 pm

I'll have to make a full report after next weekend-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 10:38 pm

So this recent talk of War & Peace, Lynch Mob and Dokken got me to create a "Dokken et al" CDR for my truck. For years I've been slamming Shadowlife for being a horrible album. But I threw it on the CDR anyway. I took the CDR into work with me, so I could transfer all the tracks to my work PC (I have a ridiculous music library here at work, over 30GB!).

Anyway, I just ran through Shadowlife one time, and I must admit, it's not nearly as terrible as I remembered it being. It's probably Dokken's worst album, I definitely still think that, but tonight it's come off as a decent modern rock album. Some songs—"Bitter Regret," "Cracks In The Ground," "Sky Beneath My Feet," "Here I Stand"—I really liked. What I noticed this time is that if you put Geoff Tate on these songs, this could be a new Queensryche album. Musically, it's very much like Queensryche's Q2K and Tribe albums.

Not a great album by any means, but it looks like I've been far too critical of it over the years.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 1:09 am

Todd Jaymz wrote:
I'll have to make a full report after next weekend-TJ

How were they? I can imagine them sounding pretty decent with Reb Beach on guitar. I always wished John Norum had just become the lead guitar guy after he played for Don on Up From the Ashes. That album was awesome.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I saw them in 2004 down here and the show was pretty good. Only complaint was Don's voice that was ruined during most of the show.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

I saw them a few times in the 80's, it seemed like Dokken was every arena's act favorite opening band. I did purchase two of their concert DVD's, one with George Lynch 'One Night Live' which is almost an unplugged set (George Lynch plays electric throughout the set, while rest of the band is unplugged) and Under the Sun or something like that with Reb Beach. The band sounds great but Don Dokken barely moves, sounds great but just stands still.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 4:53 am

I saw them 4 times in the 80's, twice opening for JP('86 and '90), once for Dio('84) and once on the Monsters Of Rock '88. Have Fun!
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 pm

I only saw Dokken live once. They were the opener for Priest on the Turbo Tour. It was a pretty good show but Dokken was only opening so they didn't play real long. I don't know how good they'd have been as a main act. I'm glad I got to see them though as I seriously doubt they'd be very good live now days. I've always read and heard that Don is kind of a prick so be prepared. Hopefully you'll experience different though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:40 pm

manny wrote:
I did purchase two of their concert DVD's, one with George Lynch 'One Night Live' which is almost an unplugged set (George Lynch plays electric throughout the set, while rest of the band is unplugged).

I have the CD version of this concert and it's excellent. I've never seen the home video though I've thought about picking it up a few times.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Dokken have always been one of my favorite bands. Other than W.A.S.P., they are the best L.A band ever, IMO. They always were better than Motley as they knew who they were and didn't delve too much into the glam look. Their music still stands up today. I would have given a testicles back in the 80's to see them. But I have a few of their performances on bootleg DVD which I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:26 pm

great band, one of those few la glam bands I really enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. I wish they could have held it together longer and made some more stuff in the vein of Tooth and Nail and Under Lock and Key, but, oh well. I have Japan Live '95; One Live Night; and the Unchain The Night DVD's and, no, Don doesn't do a whole lot during a concert. I remember having the Unchain The Night video on VHS in HS and my friends and I would walk around quoting that thing. Very Happy Peace.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 1:36 pm

I have seen them 2 times as well. One in 88 at Monsters of Rock and the other with Reb Beach. The Monsters of Rock performance was awesome and they had a lot of fire in them. When I seen them with Reb Beach they were boring and almost had no life. Seemed like they were going through the motions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rawken With Dokken!   Rawken With Dokken! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rawken With Dokken!
Page 1 of 1