Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Radio still exists? Classic Rock radio stations wouldn't play a new song by a band anyway.

Clear Channel and similar like companies have taken the joy and the excitement away from radio, from their unimaginative playlist. Another reason the music industry is dying

I gave up on music radio many years ago. If I listen to any radio, it's usually talk radio and even then not a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
Radio still exists? Classic Rock radio stations wouldn't play a new song by a band anyway.

Correct. They wouldn't play anything released after, maybe, 1985.

Clear Channel on the other hand, might play the single for a week or 2 after it's first release, then go back to the same old playlist.

Artists relying on modern radio to promote their music are in a losing, uphill battle. They'd have better success standing on a street corner and throwing cdrs at passing motorists.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm

My current stereo amplifier/tuner was purchased in 1999, I have literally NEVER used it, don't even know if the tuner works and I don't have any desire to find out.

I stopped listening to the radio around 1989.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 pm

But that's my point. No one is playing the single...because it's not very good. Had it been, it'd be all over the radio. We're talking about humans here, the majority of which need to be told what is okay and not okay to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
No one is playing the single...because it's not very good. Had it been, it'd be all over the radio. We

Being good has nothing to do with getting/staying on the radio anymore. It's about how much is in your label's marketing budget to pay Clear Channel to play your single and for how long.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Quote :
But that's my point. No one is playing the single...because it's not very good. Had it been, it'd be all over the radio.

But that's what we're saying...All over radio where? It's a dying medium for rock and older artists. There are only 2 rock stations left that I'm aware of in Philly and we're a major market. One is classic rock (WMGK), who won't play anything "new" and the other is regular rock (WMMR), which are both owned by Greater Media, Inc., which for all intentes & purposes, is just another Clear Channel conglomorate.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

My local radio station(95.1 WIIL ROCK in Kenosha, WI) has been playing "Tattoo" pretty regularly for several weeks now.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
No one is playing the single...because it's not very good. Had it been, it'd be all over the radio. We

Being good has nothing to do with getting/staying on the radio anymore. It's about how much is in your label's marketing budget to pay Clear Channel to play your single and for how long.

I'm taking a class about the history of rock music, and that is one of the subjects we covered... It's called "Payola". The record companies pay off the DJs with gifts or money in exchange for airtime.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

The numbers are in...

Quote :
VAN HALEN's new album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", has registered the following first-week chart positions:

U.S.: #2
Canada: #3
Australia: #4
U.K.: #6
Netherlands: #12
New Zealand: #14
Ireland: #16

"A Different Kind Of Truth" sold 187,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I'm taking a class about the history of rock music, and that is one of the subjects we covered... It's called "Payola". The record companies pay off the DJs with gifts or money in exchange for airtime.

Remember the episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Mr. Carlson thought the payola cocaine from the record guy was foot powder? Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 201269

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 pm

About the concert price of 100 dollars is crazy. People dont want to pay 10 dollars for a cd but they are ready to pay 100 for a two hour show.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:41 pm

krokus wrote:
About the concert price of 100 dollars is crazy. People dont want to pay 10 dollars for a cd but they are ready to pay 100 for a two hour show.

People won't pay $10 for a CD but think nothing of dropping $60 for a new video game.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
krokus wrote:

People won't pay $10 for a CD but think nothing of dropping $60 for a new video game.
Well there's ways to get around that, Gamestop lets you trade in consoles and games for store credit, which you can use towards any game, which saves quite a bit of money. But you can't really do that with CDs, and it's usually more convenient to buy the music online from iTunes.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And demand. If the song was a great song, people would request it, and more money would be dumped into pushing it down people's throats.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And demand. If the song was a great song, people would request it, and more money would be dumped into pushing it down people's throats.

Nobody calls radio stations anymore...they just look the song up on YouTube. Your logic is broken. lol!

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
krokus wrote:

Well there's ways to get around that, Gamestop lets you trade in consoles and games for store credit, which you can use towards any game, which saves quite a bit of money. But you can't really do that with CDs, and it's usually more convenient to buy the music online from iTunes.

Not really the point of my post...but I understand what you mean.

And Game Stop doesn't offer all that much in trade, then turns around and discounts very little on new games. I've seen games on the shelf for $59.99 new and $54.99 used...and they probably gave the guy who traded it $10 in store credit.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Well from what I hear, it varies from store to store, new games can be worth as much $20, or at least that's how the stores near me operate. I do get your point, but the reason people will spend that kind of a money on a video game but not on a CD, is because you can listen to music online for free, but you can't play console games online, so you "have" to buy them.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
krokus wrote:

Because People don't know that CDs still exist Laughing The Only CD Player that you can find in an average household right now is either a DESKTOP COMPUTER or a LAPTOP, which sadly isn't intended for that purpose Laughing
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Nobody calls radio stations anymore...they just look the song up on YouTube. Your logic is broken. lol!
They do around here. We still have a couple cool radio stations.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

They do around here. We still have a couple cool radio stations.

Well, the way most commercial terrestrial radio is now, the days of calling the local stations are pretty much over...even DJs are simply talking between pre-programmed bits of music and commercials...some of them are even tapes and not live. That's not to say that there are not cool local stations here and there that may cater to listeners a little more...just saying it's neither the driving force or barometer it once was.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 pm

You guys make me feel very old and dang depressed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am

Setlist from the 1st show of the tour in Louisville, Kentucky...

01. You Really Got Me
02. Runnin' With The Devil
03. She's The Woman (new song)
04. Romeo Delight
05. Tattoo (new song)
06. Everybody Wants Some!!
07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
08. China Town (new song)
09. Mean Street
10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
11. Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
12. Unchained
13. The Trouble With Never (new song)
14. I'll Wait
15. Dance The Night Away
16. Hot For Teacher
17. Women In Love (perfomed live for first time since 1980)
18. Outta Love Again (perfomed live for first time since 1979)
19. Beautiful Girls
20. Ice Cream Man
21. Panama
22. Eddie Van Halen Solo
23. Ain't Talkin' ‘Bout Love
24. Jump

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Setlist from the 1st show of the tour in Louisville, Kentucky...

01. You Really Got Me
02. Runnin' With The Devil
03. She's The Woman (new song)
04. Romeo Delight
05. Tattoo (new song)
06. Everybody Wants Some!!
07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
08. China Town (new song)
09. Mean Street
10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
11. Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
12. Unchained
13. The Trouble With Never (new song)
14. I'll Wait
15. Dance The Night Away
16. Hot For Teacher
17. Women In Love (perfomed live for first time since 1980)
18. Outta Love Again (perfomed live for first time since 1979)
19. Beautiful Girls
20. Ice Cream Man
21. Panama
22. Eddie Van Halen Solo
23. Ain't Talkin' ‘Bout Love
24. Jump

nice

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 pm

That's a great set, hopefully they'll be filming some of these shows for a potential live DVD.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I still buy a lot of music but not in a bulk, because now adays I want to take time and enjoy what I buy, used to be I would buy an album, listen to it once and then shelve it, and it be forever and a day before I got around to spinning it again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 24 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next